EA strikes "Star Wars" deal

Ex-Actarus

Bad news for Nintendo fans.
EA struck a gigantic deal with Disney to develop Star Wars related games on Mobile devices, PC and Consoles.
People dreaming about a new Rogue Squadron IV can kiss that dream goodbye with the current state of EA-Nintendo relashionship ;(.
However good news for 1313 and possibbly Battlefront III, could those games finallay happen ?

Source : http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/06/us-electronicarts-starwars-idUSBRE9450W320130506

Aki

^^^
I'm pretty sure that 1313 was always coming out. Also, I think we'll see a new KotOR alongside a new Battlefront. I just read an article over at IGN, I think, and EA said that Bioware is not done with Star Wars.
Edit: I'm not referring to Wii U.

GaemzDood

There's no way in hell the wiiu can't run that engine.
This.

Also, EA should just do what Ubisoft did with Wii U & make Origin an option (or like what Valve did with Steam on the PS3), like uPlay. But no, EA wants to control everything. Now the Wii U will miss out on fantastic games like 1313, Dragon Age III, Fuse, Battlefield 4, Dead Space 3, Crysis 3, etc..

"The Straw that broke the Camel's back." Well so much for EA.

I mean how many big budget multimillion dollar games you gotta make before you completely loose your ass? They're already hurting financially, are needing to renew their sports license exclusiveness($$$$$$) and now their going to take a multibillion dollar franchise like StarWars ? One of the largest franchises with the most fickle and extremist fan base. Pretty much anything released will have to be so highly detailed, have MMORPG qualities, and carry perfect canon or they'll snub it.

So either EA has the biggest balls in the industry and wants the challenge (cough*bullshit*cough). Or they're so greedy that they'll take all big budget deals just to keep themselves an the exclusive big third party publisher/developer.

Yeah, Anthony, Andy, and I reacted the same way to the news. All called bullshit.
They talked about barely getting FB2 to run on Wii U, but we all know EA would be ecstatic to get FB3 up and running on the Wii U if Nintendo approved of the deal with Origin.

Aki

If I wasn't getting a PS4 for my third party needs then I'd be pretty pissed. EA blackballing Wii U is pretty bad for Nintendo. Think about how much content isn't coming to Wii U. EA is a big publisher and it publishes a lot of games that tend to do well in sales. Madden, FIFA, Tiger Woods, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Battlefield, NHL, The Sims, Star Wars, Sim City, Skate, NFS, and so on. That's a lot of content. I know people will say that third party games don't sell well on Nintendo's systems, but we don't know for sure. The only time Nintendo had a large install base during the 3D era was with Wii and it was vastly underpowered compared to the competition, so it didn't really get a chance to test that theory. I think third parties titles would have sold really well on Wii if they weren't watered down ports. I can't see this being good.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite

I mean how many big budget multimillion dollar games you gotta make before you completely loose your ass? They're already hurting financially, are needing to renew their sports license exclusiveness($$$$$$) and now their going to take a multibillion dollar franchise like StarWars ? One of the largest franchises with the most fickle and extremist fan base. Pretty much anything released will have to be so highly detailed, have MMORPG qualities, and carry perfect canon or they'll snub it.

So either EA has the biggest balls in the industry and wants the challenge (cough*bullshit*cough). Or they're so greedy that they'll take all big budget deals just to keep themselves an the exclusive big third party publisher/developer.
what do you want to see them do, make low quality games? what publisher do you think is in the financial as well as the fundamentally capable position of being able to handle the star wars franchise better than EA? DICE and bioware are two of my favorite studios, and they would be my first picks for battlefront and kotor. visceral could be working on a new TFU type game, or even a new jedi knight. of course the games have to be blockbusters, but that's pretty much what EA does.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
If I wasn't getting a PS4 for my third party needs then I'd be pretty pissed. EA blackballing Wii U is pretty bad for Nintendo. Think about how much content isn't coming to Wii U. EA is a big publisher and it publishes a lot of games that tend to do well in sales. Madden, FIFA, Tiger Woods, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Battlefield, NHL, The Sims, Star Wars, Sim City, Skate, NFS, and so on. That's a lot of content. I know people will say that third party games don't sell well on Nintendo's systems, but we don't know for sure. The only time Nintendo had a large install base during the 3D era was with Wii and it was vastly underpowered compared to the competition, so it didn't really get a chance to test that theory. I think third parties titles would have sold really well on Wii if they weren't watered down ports. I can't see this being good.
the loss of tiger hurts the most for me. i really hope some other dev steps up and makes an amazing golf sim. i bet it would sell a ton of copies in the absence of tiger, too.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour 2

Just make another awesome golf game like this and I will play it for another 10 years just like the one for the GC.

what do you want to see them do, make low quality games? what publisher do you think is in the financial as well as the fundamentally capable position of being able to handle the star wars franchise better than EA? DICE and bioware are two of my favorite studios, and they would be my first picks for battlefront and kotor. visceral could be working on a new TFU type game, or even a new jedi knight. of course the games have to be blockbusters, but that's pretty much what EA does.

Yet this situation has a high chance of creating low quality games. What they should do is focus on their current franchises that there at risk of loosing before taking on another large one like StarWars. Unless they're dumping sports for StarWars or something like that. There's something to be said about stretching yourself out too far on too many big projects. If your having trouble delivering quality top selling games with just what's on your desk today, how are you going to handle tomorrow by adding more?

This is where games will begin to dive regarding quality. Unless we're expecting StarWars games with a 2020 release date.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
^ i didn't notice EA having trouble delivering quality top selling games... sim city didn't do well, but other than that i see EA continuing to pump out best sellers..
edit: and the idea of them dumping sports is crazy. their sports titles alone bring in enough $$ to fund their new/experimental stuff.

GaemzDood

I think third parties titles would have sold really well on Wii if they weren't watered down ports.
Games had to be watered down for the Wii. It was severely underpowered & couldn't even handle graphics that PS3 or 360 owners would consider to look shitty (example: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty). While there's no excuse for flat out making different & shitty games with the same box art (Hot Pursuit on Wii - though the Wii version of The Forgotten Sands is ironically the best version & it's different), developers like Treyarch did the best they could in terms of pushing the Wii on it's own terms with the Call of Duty games. If the Wii wasn't underpowered, then there would've been more willing 3rd party developers.

Aki

Games had to be watered down for the Wii. It was severely underpowered & couldn't even handle graphics that PS3 or 360 owners would consider to look shitty (example: Turning Point: Fall of Liberty). While there's no excuse for flat out making different & shitty games with the same box art (Hot Pursuit on Wii - though the Wii version of The Forgotten Sands is ironically the best version & it's different), developers like Treyarch did the best they could in terms of pushing the Wii on it's own terms with the Call of Duty games. If the Wii wasn't underpowered, then there would've been more willing 3rd party developers.
I know that there was no way to make that happen due to the Wii's hardware. What I was saying is more of a hypothetical situation. Hypothetically, if the Wii had proper third party support, I think it would have sold very well.

I know that there was no way to make that happen due to the Wii's hardware. What I was saying is more of a hypothetical situation. Hypothetically, if the Wii had proper third party support, I think it would have sold very well.

Didn't it already sell really well? Lol.

In all fairness though, I think the problem wasn't with Wii as much as it was with 3rd parties. Games like CoD, Tenchu, Silent Hill, and Red Steel 2 proved that if you port it or make it for Wii and don't half ass it, that those games will sell and be given good reviews by the media and gamers. The same will be for WiiU. If you put effort in to the game and give attention to the unique gameplay features. Then your games will sell well. If the 7th Gen showed us anything it's that developers can and will be lazy if we allow them to.

Even if the WiiU or even Wii were the highest powered systems of the generation, I still feel it would have been half assed by 3rd parties because they didn't want to give the Wii remote proper support. Even though Nintendo has been very helpful with teaching devs how to utilize their unique controls, many of them still act like lazy children who don't want to even try.

"Son, go mow the lawn."

"But Dad, I don't know how."

"Here, I'll show you."

"No, I don't want to learn cause I don't really want to anyway."

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yeah, Anthony, Andy, and I reacted the same way to the news. All called bullshit.
They talked about barely getting FB2 to run on Wii U, but we all know EA would be ecstatic to get FB3 up and running on the Wii U if Nintendo approved of the deal with Origin.
Matt, Cubits, and me also talked about it in the podcast :D/

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Matt, Cubits, and me also talked about it in the podcast :D/
Got our finger in the pulse of what the people wanna here. Damn near fortune tellers and palm readers lol.

I really hope that EA pulls their heads out of their asses. I called horseshit when they claimed that the Wii U can't run Frostbite 3. Either they are lying, or it is possibly one of the worst engines ever (If you can't scale it properly, what use is it?)

So if we don't get an actual lightsaber game, a new Rogue Squadron, or BattleFront 3 on Wii U. I'ma be pissed.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I really hope that EA pulls their heads out of their asses. I called horseshit when they claimed that the Wii U can't run Frostbite 3. Either they are lying, or it is possibly one of the worst engines ever (If you can't scale it properly, what use is it?)

So if we don't get an actual lightsaber game, a new Rogue Squadron, or BattleFront 3 on Wii U. I'ma be pissed.
If they can scale it on current-gen consoles, they can scale it on the Wii-U

Ex-Actarus

It's definitely a LIE !
ALL the PS360 ports worked well on Wii U, despite the small develpment window the studios had.
There is just NO WAY Frostbite 2 doesn't work well on Wii U.
That's RIDICULOUS !

Cubits

I actually posted a comment on a Kotaku article about this, with the author siding with EA on the subject and finality of the decision. Like the other few times i've actually commented there in an entirely reasonable manner, it was "moderated" out of sight.

To expand on my previous statement which was submitted from my phone (something i loathe to do):

It is entirely possible that Frostbite, directly ported, doesn't run well on the Wii U if the engine is heavily focused on single-thread processing, wasting the power of the CPU and being impossible to compensate for with the GPU. The WiiU GPU is very much in line with brand new technology in terms of it's focus on parallel processing instead of big clocks and few threads. All new mobile, console, and PC chips are trending towards running at lower clock speeds with far more efficient use of multiple cores running multiple threads, just look at the PS4 CPU specs and compare the "stupid person maths" to the specs of the 360 (look at all those Hertz!). The twist in the WiiU is the out-of-order processing, which takes that a step further and requires a little tinkering for optimisation, yet seems entirely reasonable for developers working on "pretty much every current mobile platform", and is almost certainly a feature of the PS4's CPU too.

The thing is though, the PS3 already presented the world with "whacky" architecture, and it was a hell of a lot more different when it was released than the compromise forced by the WiiU now (which is compliant with modern industry GPU standards, and has let the world catch up with multi-core tech). That FB2 runs well enough on the PS3, 360, and PC indicates that the frostbite engines aren't in fact stuck in last century and are entirely capable of running on unusual/new hardware. Since FB3 is still running on the PS3 and 360 is absolute proof that the WiiU isn't left behind. We also have the plethora of other major third party engines and the efforts of "two men in a living room" devs easily making the leap onto the system.

We all know that the real reason is the power play EA is pulling in an attempt to force their storefront on a hardware manufacturer. The big problem for them is this hardware manufacturer also happens to be a software publishing juggernaut. When (or if you're cynical, "if") the install base and game sales from other publishers are there for the WiiU, then the stockholders in EA will force the company's hand to participate. Until then they will stick to their guns, but showing up late to the party tends to hurt quite a bit, too.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I remember when EA sat out on the DCAST and at first I was really upset, but then SEGA and 2K hit us with the 2K Sports line and I forgot all about EA, for me it literally changed the entire sports game industry almost overnight.... A lot of people forget that the 2K brands came to be under the watchful eyes of SEGA during the Dreamcast days....
Someone else already said it, but the Wii U could be a huge chance for some unknown dev or pub or even Nintendo to publish some great sports games on the system and cash in.... Remember games like Ken Griffy Jr. baseball....? I miss the days when Nintendo made REAL sports games that didn't have a "Mario" in the title....
And Nintendo needs to cradle more third parties for more interesting and desirable content.... When they try hard enough good things happen, like Twin Snakes and FZero GX, all the RARE games on SNES and N64.... We really need that Nintendo back imo, like yesterday....
I can't say anything about the Star Wars stuff because well, that is why I own multiple platforms.... A lot of the time Nintendo gets the shaft on a lot of great content for all the wrong reasons if you ask me and this EA/Frostbite/SW deal bullshit is just another in a long line of this kind of thing for Nintendo fans who desperately want the best third party games on their console....
I think Nintendo needs to go the way of SEGA and DCAST and just usher in a new Sports era with something badass and exclusive to the platform....
As far as SW goes, I'll be getting a PS4 so....

Cubits

Nintendo DID show off that golf game where you swung a wiimote and had the gamepad on the floor as your view of the ball. This is something i was hoping for since Tiger Woods 11 introduced true view, and i was actually putting a ball on the ground to help my swing. The Wii versions of that game absolutely kills the "old way" of playing golf games, and i can't go back. Nintendo could just flesh the hell out of their previous efforts, chuck in the gamepad ideas they publicly announced years ago, and cash in. Wii Sports is an incredibly powerful franchise to the wider public, they might as well take EA on with "WiiU Sports: Pro Golf", and hook the massive casual crowd.

It's a bit very crap that EA has exclusive licensing deals for many sports, especially since they're contractually obliged to represent the license on every available platform. But for every sport that isn't bound, someone should show people that Nintendo consoles do them best (after all, the wiimote is THE sports game interface). If EA is going to leave it wide open, then a third party or the big N will fill the hole.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Nintendo DID show off that golf game where you swung a wiimote and had the gamepad on the floor as your view of the ball. This is something i was hoping for since Tiger Woods 11 introduced true view, and i was actually putting a ball on the ground to help my swing. The Wii versions of that game absolutely kills the "old way" of playing golf games, and i can't go back. Nintendo could just flesh the hell out of their previous efforts, chuck in the gamepad ideas they publicly announced years ago, and cash in. Wii Sports is an incredibly powerful franchise to the wider public, they might as well take EA on with "WiiU Sports: Pro Golf", and hook the massive casual crowd.

It's a bit very crap that EA has exclusive licensing deals for many sports, especially since they're contractually obliged to represent the license on every available platform. But for every sport that isn't bound, someone should show people that Nintendo consoles do them best (after all, the wiimote is THE sports game interface). If EA is going to leave it wide open, then a third party or the big N will fill the hole.
When these big budget exclusive deals happen the real losers are gamers imo.... All it does is solidify all these franchises under one roof.... How can there be a drive for creative game design when you basically have some executive handing out franchie games to in house devs like playing cards being dealt at a poker game going.... "Ok third person shooter based on Star Wars, here ya go!" "Ok FPS based on blah blah blah, HERE YA GO!"
Without these kind of huge franchises being in the hands of competing developers trying to one up each other in terms of building a better product there becomes this stale void in the industry where it takes literally years to see certain franchises games actually improve because of such Monopoly tatics.... I mean without any competition, without anyone even being allowed to try to build a better mousetrap, how can we expect these franchies to evolve and grow in the ways they most certainly deserve instead of being caught in a web of stagnation while these franchises exchange hands to multiple devs over tens of years time....?
These SW games may just fail.... Maybe not commercially, but in terms of their greatness and how far they actually evolve the franchise to move it forward in a meaningful way.... I honestly don't know wtf to expect from EA with the SW franchise.... These games could be great.... Or not.... There is a big chance of or not imo though.... We'll see.... So many SW games canceled or are in limbo right now that looked great.... BF3 and 1313 come to mind.... Wonder how or if EA will decide to salvage these games or just scrap them in favor of starting anew....

GaemzDood

I actually posted a comment on a Kotaku article about this, with the author siding with EA on the subject and finality of the decision. Like the other few times i've actually commented there in an entirely reasonable manner, it was "moderated" out of sight.

To expand on my previous statement which was submitted from my phone (something i loathe to do):

It is entirely possible that Frostbite, directly ported, doesn't run well on the Wii U if the engine is heavily focused on single-thread processing, wasting the power of the CPU and being impossible to compensate for with the GPU. The WiiU GPU is very much in line with brand new technology in terms of it's focus on parallel processing instead of big clocks and few threads. All new mobile, console, and PC chips are trending towards running at lower clock speeds with far more efficient use of multiple cores running multiple threads, just look at the PS4 CPU specs and compare the "stupid person maths" to the specs of the 360 (look at all those Hertz!). The twist in the WiiU is the out-of-order processing, which takes that a step further and requires a little tinkering for optimisation, yet seems entirely reasonable for developers working on "pretty much every current mobile platform", and is almost certainly a feature of the PS4's CPU too.

The thing is though, the PS3 already presented the world with "whacky" architecture, and it was a hell of a lot more different when it was released than the compromise forced by the WiiU now (which is compliant with modern industry GPU standards, and has let the world catch up with multi-core tech). That FB2 runs well enough on the PS3, 360, and PC indicates that the frostbite engines aren't in fact stuck in last century and are entirely capable of running on unusual/new hardware. Since FB3 is still running on the PS3 and 360 is absolute proof that the WiiU isn't left behind. We also have the plethora of other major third party engines and the efforts of "two men in a living room" devs easily making the leap onto the system.

We all know that the real reason is the power play EA is pulling in an attempt to force their storefront on a hardware manufacturer. The big problem for them is this hardware manufacturer also happens to be a software publishing juggernaut. When (or if you're cynical, "if") the install base and game sales from other publishers are there for the WiiU, then the stockholders in EA will force the company's hand to participate. Until then they will stick to their guns, but showing up late to the party tends to hurt quite a bit, too.

Kotaku hates intelligence & the ability to reason. They're sensationalist assholes.

GaemzDood

In all fairness though, I think the problem wasn't with Wii as much as it was with 3rd parties. Games like CoD, Tenchu, Silent Hill, and Red Steel 2 proved that if you port it or make it for Wii and don't half ass it,
that those games will sell
and be given good reviews by the media and gamers. The same will be for WiiU. If you put effort in to the game and give attention to the unique gameplay features. Then your games will sell well. If the 7th Gen showed us anything it's that developers can and will be lazy if we allow them to.

Even if the WiiU or even Wii were the highest powered systems of the generation, I still feel it would have been half assed by 3rd parties because they didn't want to give the Wii remote proper support. Even though Nintendo has been very helpful with teaching devs how to utilize their unique controls, many of them still act like lazy children who don't want to even try.

"Son, go mow the lawn."

"Here, I'll show you."

Problem is, Call of Duty's sales were barebones compared to the 360 & PS3, Tenchu didn't sell well, & nether did Silent Hill. In addition to that, masterpieces that fully use the Wii's graphical & gameplay features like MadWorld & Dead Space: Extraction were flops in terms of sales, same with The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (though that's a gameplay showcase, not a graphical showcase).

In all fairness though, I think the problem wasn't with Wii as much as it was with 3rd parties. Games like CoD, Tenchu, Silent Hill, and Red Steel 2 proved that if you port it or make it for Wii and don't half ass it,
that those games will sell
and be given good reviews by the media and gamers. The same will be for WiiU. If you put effort in to the game and give attention to the unique gameplay features. Then your games will sell well. If the 7th Gen showed us anything it's that developers can and will be lazy if we allow them to.

"Son, go mow the lawn."

"Here, I'll show you."

Problem is, Call of Duty's sales were barebones compared to the 360 & PS3, Tenchu didn't sell well, & nether did Silent Hill. In addition to that, masterpieces that fully use the Wii's graphical & gameplay features like MadWorld & Dead Space: Extraction were flops in terms of sales, same with The Godfather: Blackhand Edition (though that's a gameplay showcase, not a graphical showcase).

The issue with the ones you mentioned though were because they were half assed. MadWorld is ridiculously repetitive. Dead Space was a on rails shooter launched on the coat tails of a full fledged Dead Space release on the other consoles. Though a impressive game, it was dismissed by the fact it wasn't a actual port or a at least a full experience. As far as I remember Godfather kinda flopped on all systems and had no real following outside the original PS2 version.

CoD still sold in the million range and I think both Silent Hill and Tenchu suffered from being released later in the Wii's life, as well as having been both series having exclusivity on Sony systems.

GaemzDood

"Son, go mow the lawn."

"Here, I'll show you."

The issue with the ones you mentioned though were because they were half assed. MadWorld is ridiculously repetitive. Dead Space was a on rails shooter launched on the coat tails of a full fledged Dead Space release on the other consoles. Though a impressive game, it was dismissed by the fact it wasn't a actual port or a at least a full experience. As far as I remember Godfather kinda flopped on all systems and had no real following outside the original PS2 version.

CoD still sold in the million range and I think both Silent Hill and Tenchu suffered from being released later in the Wii's life, as well as having been both series having exclusivity on Sony systems.
If MadWorld was half assed, then the graphics & controls wouldn't
have been as great as they were & it wouldn't have gotten great
reviews from sites like IGN. It's an old school beat em' up, if it's
'repetitive', then Streets of Rage 2 must also be 'repetitive'.

You two may object because you like the game, but tell me this. How many times did you slam guys in the wall and stick sign posts through their heads before it got old? If it had more story arc or at least more attention to the story then perhaps it wouldn't've felt so slow and dull. Sure the shock factor had some appeal up till Chinatown and the Transylvanian Hammer horror style castle was fun but to argue the repetitiveness of the game is a little moot, don't you think?

Had the game been more progressive like a Final Fight or Streets of Rage it wouldn't been so bad. But running around the same room doing the same things to build up points to progress was dull and repetitive. I'm not saying it's a bad game, but as far as beat em ups go even Soul Calibur Legends had more merit regarding story, progression and replay ability. Sure the game had appeal for gore and the art style ala Frank Miller style. And the commentators were funny and enjoyable until the comments were reruned to death. Another piece of the repetitive puzzle.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....

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">

You sure you were playing the same game as I was....? I don't even think a sign post death is in one of those pics and that is far from every death move in the game....
And just wow at MADWORLD being repetitive and Final Fight being progressive.... MADWORLD has WAY more varietry than fuckn Final Fight.... I love FF, but hell man you really have things all mixed up.... Don't ya....
And I'm not debating and I know that is just your opinion.... And you're entitled to it.... I respect that.... That last response was going to be my only one....
But you calling me out, and I'm like....

And yes throwing people into walls and slamming sign posts through their heads is always going to be fun....
Favorite Genre of Game = Beat Em Ups.... Probably have played every single Beat Em Up ever released for console and arcade since 1989.... I take this shit very seriously.... :O)

Sure, fun but repetitive. What I meant in regards to Final Fight is at least in those 2D sidescrollers you progressed through a level rather than one room or arena.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Sure, fun but repetitive. What I meant in regards to Final Fight is at least in those 2D sidescrollers you progressed through a level rather than one room or arena.

And describing Final Fights side scrolling levels as being more than "just rooms" as compared to MADWORLDs level structure is just lunacy.... Sorry dude.... But that's cool if you want to play FF instead of MADWORLD.... I understand your reasons now.... And respect them to the fullest.... But wholeheartedly have to disafuckngree....
I give props to Final Fight for basically creating a genre or at least making it a popular type of game, but it is so limited compared to MADWORLD.... FF has aged very well, but well enough to compete with MADWORLD in terms of gameplay and level structure...? Not imo....
I mean if you want to get down to it all good game design is repetitive.... All games contain repetition.... Not a little, not fucking some, but all.... Just some more so than others.... The beat em up genre in general is a thought of as more repetitive than most other types of games.... Doesn't make me love them any less....
I do want Capcom to use the MT Framework engine to make a new Final Fight though.... That would be badass....

Wow, didn't expect such a passionate defense... I'll just leave you and MadWorld to yourselves... Anyway my point was MadWorld is more or less a good weekend rental rather than a must have hunt the web type Wii title like say Xenoblade or Metroid Prime Trilogy. I bought it, played it and that was it, I never have had a real desire to pull it off the shelf and replay it.

Point being they could've done so much more with MadWorld but unfortunately they treated it like most Wii third party titles, half assed. For example take Spiderman Web of Shadows and put it next to MadWorld. Personal preferences aside can you really say MadWorld holds up against a title like that with both being released in the same year. My opinion, no. It's in the same category as Soul Calibur Legends, Castlevania Judgment, Dragon Blade, Dragon Quest Swords, and a few others (those are just a few I own). Sure I enjoy all those games mentioned but to not consider them half assed compared to other titles is taking a personal bias a little too far dint you think?

Think about it, would MadWorld been as impressive to you if it didn't have all the blood, guts, and swearing? I know it wouldn't have to Gaemzdude.

Ex-Actarus

Once again this is just PR from EA.
Of course the Wii U can handle Frostbite.
You right to mention the PS3, the console was notorious for behing tough to devleop for.
Now EVERY SINLGE 3rd party game is on the PS3 !
That's quite a change for 2006-07, when the PS3 was struggling with not only poor 3rd party support,
But also form terrible port ! The 360 games looked fard better than their PS3 counterparts.
So of EA wanted to have Frostbite 2 & 3 working on Wii U, they would have done it easily.
They just don't want it.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
On the beat 'em up discussion, I think it's actually kinda interesting how brawlers get singled out. It's mainly because brawling is the chief mechanic, of course, so you're doing it all the time. But in a Zelda-type adventure with Z-targeting, you're also repeating (target, mash attack, mix and repeat). In a modern FPS, you're repeating the same mechanic (snap aim, pull trigger).

Of course, I played the hell out of NMH and Muramasa, so repetition might just be something I'm immune to. :p

If they can scale it on current-gen consoles, they can scale it on the Wii-UThis. I've seen enough scathing threads 'elsewhere' to last me a lifetime. Do I believe EA snubbing Nintendo is a good thing for their business? No I don't, it's bad enough for the industry IMO that one single publisher holds so much clout, never mind when they start doing this. Do I believe it will end them? No, not at all. If anything, it will spur Nintendo on to secure more titles and drive the U's sales. EA's attitude could get worse and the other big names in console gaming might feel the brunt of their control. They have become too big IMO, and in the opiniom of several contemporaries and developers

Depends on how something is being repeated really.
If you're only given, for example, 4 attack moves to use on 2 types of enemies for the entire game, the game sucks because it has a very low replay value.
Essentially, if a single action is being repeated too much and too frequently in a game, it gets boringly real quick.