EA strikes "Star Wars" deal

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm going to have to agree with Madworld being repetitive for me. The game had good variety in ways to kill enemies and whatnot, but what killed it for me was that each stage required you to play them for too long, and there weren't that many stages to begin with.
And what @ninjadynamo means when he says the game is half-assed, I think, is when compared to similar games that came to other consoles. You look at Madworld and Bayonetta, and there's no way you can say they both received the same effort, especially since they both came from the same developer.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I'm going to have to agree with Madworld being repetitive for me. The game had good variety in ways to kill enemies and whatnot, but what killed it for me was that each stage required you to play them for too long, and there weren't that many stages to begin with.
And what @ninjadynamo means when he says the game is half-assed, I think, is when compared to similar games that came to other consoles. You look at Madworld and Bayonetta, and there's no way you can say they both received the same effort, especially since they both came from the same developer.

I'm with Ninjady on the Madworld subject aswell.

Maybe I should just post a Madworld bashing thread.... My guess is I would get lots of replies here on TNE....
But that's cool guys.... To each their own....

Happy to be the one to show love for a game that deserves it.... Even if you guys don't care for it....
Wasn't this thread about Star Wars....?
There are so few who ever disagree around here.... I'm glad to be one of em.... Else this place might end up looking like this....

lol....
EDIT: And I understand it's ok for a thread to go off topic.... Common sense would dictate that I was being sarcastic....

My dad's not a phone, DUH....

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah it is a Star Wars thread. But sometimes things get alittle off topic, and that's ok because the off topic is pretty well worked out now. And it will go back to Star Wars.

If Nintendo pick it up over the next couple of months, then EA will be back. But don't count on anything until late 2014/early 2015; they will be playing the wait-and-see game, and if/by the time they see it will more-than-likely be too late to do anything about it right away.

Ex-Actarus

If Nintendo pick it up over the next couple of months, then EA will be back. But don't count on anything until late 2014/early 2015; they will be playing the wait-and-see game, and if/by the time they see it will more-than-likely be too late to do anything about it right away.

Now that Ritciello is gone, maybe things will improve.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
how many wii u's have to be sold before it's worth EA's time (literally worth their time) to make frostbite 3 run on the wii u and then spend the time/resources developing the ports for it?
anyone thinking about that?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
how many wii u's have to be sold before it's worth EA's time (literally worth their time) to make frostbite 3 run on the wii u and then spend the time/resources developing the ports for it?
But the thing is they aren't even bringing over basic games like Madden and Fifa, for God's sake. Not to mention, if install base is an issue, why be making games and adjusting engines for unreleased consoles? It's obvious it's a lot more to do than just the Wii-U's install base

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
But the thing is they aren't even bringing over basic games like Madden and Fifa, for God's sake. Not to mention, if install base is an issue, why be making games and adjusting engines for unreleased consoles? It's obvious it's a lot more to do than just the Wii-U's install base
they're probably expecting the unreleased consoles to sell much better than the wii u.
for madden and fifa on wii u - they probably need to sell an unrealistic number of units compared to the install base in order for those resources to be best used on madden and fifa on wii u. when you look at how these past madden and fifa wii u versions sold, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future of the series on that console until the install base is much larger.

there may be more to it than wii u's install base, but i believe that the install base is the biggest issue. ea was gung-ho about supporting the wii u until it released and no one was buying it. if nintendo had met it's original sales forecasts (as i'm sure EA expected them to), i don't think we'd even be having this conversation. not sure if you read the article/blog i posted above, but it sheds some light onto how a company like EA makes decisions for better or worse.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
@MajorBuddah said "they're probably expecting the unreleased consoles to sell much better than the wii u.
for madden and fifa on wii u - they probably need to sell an unrealistic number of units compared to the install base in order for those resources to be best used on madden and fifa on wii u. when you look at how these past madden and fifa wii u versions sold, it doesn't paint a pretty picture for the future of the series on that console until the install base is much larger.

there may be more to it than wii u's install base, but i believe that the install base is the biggest issue. ea was gung-ho about supporting the wii u until it released and no one was buying it. if nintendo had met it's original sales forecasts (as i'm sure EA expected them to), i don't think we'd even be having this conversation. not sure if you read the article/blog i posted above, but it sheds some light onto how a company like EA makes decisions for better or worse."
Agreed
Perhaps but should they really be thinking that when they released gimped versions of Madden and Fifa? If they were next-gen versions of the game or at least better in some way, I'd understand the disappointment in sales but they were inferior to the PS3/360 versions. Inferior versions of a game shouldn't be expected to sell well, even by launch standards
I see what you're saying but I'm quite sure bad things between EA and Nintendo began to happen well before the console launched. Besides, the Wii-U did sell between the months of November and January. It's with the start of 2013 that it began to sell poorly. But so have other consoles and yet they still got those games. I really think the rumors between EA's Origin and Nintendo have a lot of truth to them

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
i don't follow sales stuff because as a gamer, it isn't terribly interesting or important to me. but i've been under the impression that wii u has been underperforming out of the gate, and it's only gotten worse as teh months go by. i don't think it was even through january yet that nintendo first lowered their sales forecasts.
as for "well before the console launched", i don't think everything went to shit between june and november. that's really not a long time. in june they had "unprecedented support". i think that was keeping up until, like i said, the console launched an no one bought it.
as for inferior versions - that's pretty typical of ea sports games on new consoles. they are rushed to make the consoles launch for one reason or another, but they still usually sell well because people want new games for their new machine. they lack features of the current gen titles, but they still sell well enough to make them profitable for ea. i read something the other day that said on one sunday there were like 20k people online in madden and 2,900 games being played on 360 vs 40 something people online and 1 game being played on wii u. it might even be in the link i posted ITT. that's pretty damning. would you follow that up with another title if you were ea?
i'm sure EA would have loved origin on wii u, but it's not going to be on ps4/720 either, so i don't see why nintendo would be treated differently for that reason alone.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
It was definitely a few months after the launch of the Wii-U. The Wii-U did better than most consoles at launch as it sold almost as much as the Wii did at launch
I think it was more like June of 2011 when EA said they had "unprecedented support" for Nintendo. But even for consoles like the N64 and the GameCube, we still got all of the basic EA titles. Even with the Wii's last-gen hardware, we got those kind of titles
That is true but it should also be noted there was a lot of other software to compete with on the Wii-U during it's launch. The console had some of the highest number of titles for launch. I can understand being hesitant after seeing a couple of games not selling all that well but I'd still at the very least give it another chance during the Holidays. By then, more people would own the console and they'd have a competent version for everyone
Agreed but there should be more that meets the eye

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
It was definitely a few months after the launch of the Wii-U. The Wii-U did better than most consoles at launch as it sold almost as much as the Wii did at launch
I think it was more like June of 2011 when EA said they had "unprecedented support" for Nintendo. But even for consoles like the N64 and the GameCube, we still got all of the basic EA titles. Even with the Wii's last-gen hardware, we got those kind of titles
That is true but it should also be noted there was a lot of other software to compete with on the Wii-U during it's launch. The console had some of the highest number of titles for launch. I can understand being hesitant after seeing a couple of games not selling all that well but I'd still at the very least give it another chance during the Holidays. By then, more people would own the console and they'd have a competent version for everyone

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
ahh, yeah that was 2011. man, time flies.
all things aside though, i think that if nintendo had sold 5-6 million units by now, EA would still be developing for them. EA and nintendo don't have some high school relationship where one is just sour at the other and stubbornly refuses to return phone calls. EA just wants to make as much money as possible, and right now they believe they can make more money by focusing on things that are not the wii u. maybe that will change in the future, maybe not. but i really do think that it's that simple.

Don't think this is a question anyone has the answer to since none of us are sitting in the conference room where EA and Nintendo make decisions and deals, but as I talked about in the comment section of Menashe's article, EA not putting their games on the Wii U has a high chance of hurting them more than it will hurt Nintendo. What's going to happen if, and inevitably when, the Wii U starts pushing units and the last game from EA was Most Wanted U? What’s going to happen if next-generation is akin to last-generation sales wise and the PS4 and 720 don’t sell as many units as the Wii U? What's probably going is that by joining the party too late, EA would have successfully missed out on a lot of potential cash. If they finally decide to port their games after they've been out for a considerable amount of time on other platforms, they will have to expect mediocre sales at best, but that would be their own fault for making a bad decision. Worst case scenario is that the platforms they do have their games on don't sell as well as they did in the past and EA can't afford to make a game that doesn't sell as well as they want it too (Unless Sony or MS is paying them off).
If EA hasn't become that out of touch with gamers, I think something like this would have already crossed their mind and maybe they are still trying to work things out with Nintendo because I'm sure Nintendo would love to have their games on the Wii U.

I'm with Ninjady on the Madworld subject aswell.

Maybe I should just post a Madworld bashing thread.... My guess is I would get lots of replies here on TNE....
But that's cool guys.... To each their own....

Happy to be the one to show love for a game that deserves it.... Even if you guys don't care for it....
Wasn't this thread about Star Wars....?
There are so few who ever disagree around here.... I'm glad to be one of em.... Else this place might end up looking like this....

lol....
EDIT: And I understand it's ok for a thread to go off topic.... Common sense would dictate that I was being sarcastic....

My dad's not a phone, DUH....

Dude, I never said I didn't like the game. I own it and enjoyed it. I just found it repetitive halfway through. And by halfassed I meant the idea was great but they could have added so much more for a truely stellar experience. Maybe having a open city like that BeatDown game for PS2? Or having the commentary not repeat itself every three minutes. Having more dialog and story implemented.

Hey on a positive note! Perhaps one of the games in Sega's Secret Seven is a MadWorld 2!?. I'd pick it up for sure! ;)

Cubits

... all things aside though, i think that if nintendo had sold 5-6 million units by now, EA would still be developing for them. EA and nintendo don't have some high school relationship where one is just sour at the other and stubbornly refuses to return phone calls. EA just wants to make as much money as possible, and right now they believe they can make more money by focusing on things that are not the wii u. maybe that will change in the future, maybe not. but i really do think that it's that simple.
I don't think it's entirely a numbers game. EA had pulled its support BEFORE the current sales trend was established for the console, and after touting their full backing for the console at the previous E3 the scarcity of launch window games (games developed before sales could be known) indicates as such. The opening couple of weeks of sales were actually Wii-like, too!

But a significant enough install base buying third party games will force EA's hand as they are a listed company and can't afford to not make more potential money for the shareholders. I hope they do come around, as more games is always better, and it would be a shame for people to miss out on licensed titles for no good reason.

And seriously, what's the deal with them not making 3DS games?! That's just wierd!

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
... all things aside though, i think that if nintendo had sold 5-6 million units by now, EA would still be developing for them. EA and nintendo don't have some high school relationship where one is just sour at the other and stubbornly refuses to return phone calls. EA just wants to make as much money as possible, and right now they believe they can make more money by focusing on things that are not the wii u. maybe that will change in the future, maybe not. but i really do think that it's that simple.
I don't think it's entirely a numbers game. EA had pulled its support BEFORE the current sales trend was established for the console, and after touting their full backing for the console at the previous E3 the scarcity of launch window games (games developed before sales could be known) indicates as such. The opening couple of weeks of sales were actually Wii-like, too!

But a significant enough install base buying third party games will force EA's hand as they are a listed company and can't afford to not make more potential money for the shareholders. I hope they do come around, as more games is always better, and it would be a shame for people to miss out on licensed titles for no good reason.

And seriously, what's the deal with them not making 3DS games?! That's just wierd!
good points. the opening week might have been wii-like, but that's because nintendo did a much better job of getting consoles produced before launching. if wii was in supply like the wii u was, then wii sales would have blown wii u away. the demand for wii was simply much, much greater.
and yes, i agree that when the install base is there then EA will probably start releasing games on wii u. the install base has to get there first though. if ps4/xbox3 launch at around $350 then it's going to spell serious trouble for wii u. there's even a chance that they can launch at prices even lower than that if the whole cell phone like subscription based thing becomes a reality. a $150-$200 xbox3 could eat up a lot of market share.
not sure why they haven't been putting out 3ds games, but like everything else, i'd guess that the titles weren't selling well?