EDIT : Rumor, incoming new Wii U game reveal ? Paper Mario ?

Ex-Actarus

According to a rumor coming for Emily Rogers on Twitter, Nintendo should reveal a new Wii U game as soon as Monday. It's apparently a Nintendo published game.

Could Nintendo announce a Nintendo Direct in the next few hours to present that game and other Nintendo news ?

Do you have any idea of what the game could be ?

In my opinion, it will be a Pokemon Amiibo game that will be release to celebrate the 20th years of the franchise. We know Nintendo is working on a Amiibo game, I think that's the one :)

Source : https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers

Grand Theft Auto 6 is an NX exclusive launch title!

Isn't Emily usually wrong? And the fact they're announcing an announcement for a rumour...is just silly.

Ex-Actarus

Isn't Emily usually wrong? And the fact they're announcing an announcement for a rumour...is just silly.
No actually Emily Rogers has a pretty solid record. She's well respected and very professional, so I believe she's right. Now, maybe that's not a big game at all. Let's keep that into prospective...

FriedShoes

MLG
Doctor_Cupcakes is usually wrong. Emily hasnt really dipped her toe into rumor stuff since the Pikmin 3 one ages ago. She is well respected now, but not in the rumor department.

That said, this sounds very interesting, hope its not shit or another one of that doucheface's dumb speculations.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando

I don't think I've ever actually seen anything that Emily has been wrong about... I'm interested to know why you think she's usually wrong? In my experience she's the premier Nintendo voice on the internet.

FriedShoes

MLG
Shes been wrong about everything she put up in the past, and the things she was right about was completely obvious so no points there. She's more believable these days given her indie cred but thats about it, her track record is null.

I think its probably safe to say that the game is one from a Western dev, thats all Unseen64 does reports on.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
They're saying Paper Mario but I was thinking Animal Crossing or an HD remaster or perhaps something else that doesn't take TOO much time or money but has somewhat of an audience

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
A Paper Mario game in the vein of TTYD would make me a very happy man, ergo I don't expect it to actually happen in the slightest.
I can see them going for something like the first two or Super Paper Mario. Sticker Star didn't get good reviews so it's doubtful they'd make another one like that

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
A Paper Mario game in the vein of TTYD would make me a very happy man, ergo I don't expect it to actually happen in the slightest.
I dunno, a Paper Mario in the vein of the old ones are 100% likely. Super Paper Mario if I can recall was meant to be a spinoff of the Paper Mario series for the gamecube, but instead ended up making it a full-fledged title for the Wii instead.

After all those experiments they have been trying with the 3DS versions, I'm pretty sure this time we're gonna get a tame, traditional version of the game, with something a bit tailored to the Wii U and the usual new mechanic.

I know this is Nintendo, but I feel it in my gut that they won't mess this up. I've always told humans about how I'm always right whenever I make a prediction I'm sure of, and this is one of the times.

Koenig

The Architect
I dunno, a Paper Mario in the vein of the old ones are 100% likely. Super Paper Mario if I can recall was meant to be a spinoff of the Paper Mario series for the gamecube, but instead ended up making it a full-fledged title for the Wii instead.

After all those experiments they have been trying with the 3DS versions, I'm pretty sure this time we're gonna get a tame, traditional version of the game, with something a bit tailored to the Wii U and the usual new mechanic.

I know this is Nintendo, but I feel it in my gut that they won't mess this up. I've always told humans about how I'm always right whenever I make a prediction I'm sure of, and this is one of the times.
Perhaps...I am just very skeptical after watching the decline of the recent Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games; even more so once I consider how Miyamoto shot down so many of Intelligent Systems Paper Mario prototypes for being either too similar to TTYD and/or being too story focused; both of which seem equally terrifying to me... Canceling a project for being too similar to TTYD is like scraping a flawless design in favor of an untested prototype, while scrapping an RPG for having a story focus is even more preposterous.

Depending on how much influence Miyamoto has and whether or not they have learned past mistakes (if they consider them mistakes at all) will determine the fate of the Mario RPG's. Super Star Saga and The Thousand Year Door were the peak of both series respectively (In my opinion) either founding good new idea's or refining existing ones; yet it has felt like a downward spiral ever since, as each new game throws away aspects that worked well in favor of new untested ideas instead of improving the existing ones. I am not a fan of how each new game since M&L and TTYD try to reinvent the wheel with the odd gimmick, and even more worried about the ones that do stick. Ill just say it now, I hate the giant fights/sidescrolling dual world mechanics that the recent Mario & Luigi games have had, and none of the new ideas in the last two Paper Mario games felt polished in the slightest.

I am all for new idea's mind you, I just feel that they should come after the core experience has been sustained and should be implemented accordingly.

I can see them going for something like the first two or Super Paper Mario. Sticker Star didn't get good reviews so it's doubtful they'd make another one like that

Sent from my SM-G920V using genital warts
Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star sold better than TTYD though, so I doubt Nintendo cares that the review scores of each were worse off (more so for the latter). Sales aside, I sincerely hope you are right.

MANGANian

Megalomaniacal Robo-Zombie
Perhaps...I am just very skeptical after watching the decline of the recent Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi games; even more so once I consider how Miyamoto shot down so many of Intelligent Systems Paper Mario prototypes for being either too similar to TTYD and/or being too story focused; both of which seem equally terrifying to me... Canceling a project for being too similar to TTYD is like scraping a flawless design in favor of an untested prototype, while scrapping an RPG for having a story focus is even more preposterous.
I can understand Miyamoto's concern with Paper Mario 3 Prototype being too similar to TTYD, because it's a legitimate one. I've seen reviews reflect that issue of "more of the same" with TTYD as well as my own concerns with having to play a repackaged Paper Mario for the third time, and I've haven't even played TTYD. Of course Super Paper Mario was something I didn't expect and is less of a Paper Mario game and more of a Super Mario game with Paper Mario elements as the title suggested. I can assure you that if Super Paper Mario wasn't released as it had been, the series would've been criticised for being more of the same.

Depending on how much influence Miyamoto has and whether or not they have learned past mistakes (if they consider them mistakes at all) will determine the fate of the Mario RPG's. Super Star Saga and The Thousand Year Door were the peak of both series respectively (In my opinion) either founding good new idea's or refining existing ones; yet it has felt like a downward spiral ever since, as each new game throws away aspects that worked well in favor of new untested ideas instead of improving the existing ones. I am not a fan of how each new game since M&L and TTYD try to reinvent the wheel with the odd gimmick, and even more worried about the ones that do stick. Ill just say it now, I hate the giant fights/sidescrolling dual world mechanics that the recent Mario & Luigi games have had, and none of the new ideas in the last two Paper Mario games felt polished in the slightest.

I am all for new idea's mind you, I just feel that they should come after the core experience has been sustained and should be implemented accordingly.
Miyamoto's way of designing games has always put storytelling as an afterthought, so I agree with you there. I don't believe he understands the Paper Mario series at all, just like I believe he doesn't understand how Starfox works either. They're both games I consider would've worked well if his gaming philosophy was a compliment than 100% law. His complete input works well with the Mario and Pikmin series, but not much of anything else. A new mechanic isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd prefer them to avoid making a Paper Mario altogether if I'm just gonna get the same game. This is not a party game after all. It'd wear on me pretty quickly.
WHY DA HELL WILL YOU BRING ANDROSS BACK!! HE'S A TERRIBLE VILLAIN!! CHANGE THE STORY DAMMIT!

I don't mind the giant fights and sidescrolling dual world mechanics at all. My biggest issue with the Mario & Luigi series had always been the growing dependence on long flashy items usage and special abilities, and the hand-holding in a certain game. They're too long. Coincidentally it's the same problem I have with Kingdom Hearts, and they both share the same composer.

Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star sold better than TTYD though, so I doubt Nintendo cares that the review scores of each were worse off (more so for the latter). Sales aside, I sincerely hope you are right.
Notice that both Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star has been on Nintendo's well-sold consoles. The Gamecube at the time was considered a commercial failure. Nintendo has too much pride to not consider the reviews of their games. After all, they often get pretty good reviews. A bad review will catch their attention.

Last edited:

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
Thanks for the history lesson on Emily... Didn't know she's misfired so many times in the past.

Anyway, if this game even exists at all, my money would be on some kind of Pokemon Amiibo game as was mentioned earlier in the thread. There's already some rumors about such a thing if I recall correctly, and it would be a perfect lower development effort money maker for Nintendo.

Koenig

The Architect
@MANGANian

Agreed on most accounts. though In regards to TTYD being too similar I would argue that the sequels went way to far in the other direction, they did not even feel like Paper Mario games anymore. This, coupled with the fact that I consider TTYD to be the best of ALL the Mario RPGs, might make it a little easier to see why I am so frustrated by how Nintendo has handled the series.

When it comes to the Mario & Luigi games, I greatly dislike the side scrolling and giant fights because they detract from the overall game design in most cases. As a passing gimmick they are all right I suppose, but when huge portions of the game are built around them, I found them to become very tedious and unwanted.

I know I already said I agree on most accounts, but can I double, triple, and quadruple agree about the over reliance on items and special attacks in the Mario & Luigi series? Not much needs to be said other than the games have become flat out over reliant on them, which throws a wrench into regular gameplay. What used to be fun special moves or powerful items that I would use from time to time are now outright requirements to play the game.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
They did sell better but they're also on platforms with considerably higher install bases. The GameCube's install base is a mere fraction of the Wii's and 3DS's. I have no issue with it perhaps being a Super Paper Mario 2, as it's a pretty good game, despite being more of a spin-off than anything else. Sticker Star I just don't plain see being used as very few actually liked it and Nintendo does care if their games are liked. You could say that they don't have an issue with criticism but, with how they kind of made Twilight Princess to appease people after Wind Waker, I'd say they care more than they let on. TBH, I don't want them to make a rehash of the original as, despite TTYD being an awesome game, a lot of it is a repeat of the first Paper Mario game and that's a valid criticism. I just want whatever new direction to go with to be fun and interesting. It's kind of why I consider Superstar Saga to be the weakest entry. For me, it's too basic and clunky, especially when compared to later entries. Granted, I played Superstar Saga after all of the other ones but that just made me more evident of what the later games did better

Ex-Actarus

I think that a Paper Mario makes sense on many levels :

- It's pretty low cost title to develop ( as Mario Tennis Wii U ). So it probably doesn't require a big team or huge assets. Maybe the game will re-use some assets from the 3DS game.

- It's one of the franchise that has yet to appear on Wii U. As Metroid, F-Zero and Pokemon ( sorry but Pokemon rumble doesn't count ), Paper Mario is a Nintendo franchise that has not come back yet on Wii U.

- Intelligent system has probably several teams. Fire Emblem Fates, Codename STEAM and Fire Emblem x SMT, are all completed by now, so they are definitely working on at least 2 project right now and a new Paper Mario could be one of them.

Still, I think Emily Rogers was referring to several unannounced Wii U games, so I still has some hope for the Pokemon Amiibo game :)

Goodtwin

I see this rumor as being very plausible. However, I find it unlikely for it to be announced in anything thing other than a Nintendo Direct. They have been doing maintance lately, and those are often precursors to Nintendo Directs. Nintendo is only a couple of unannounced games from having a solid lineup on Wii U this year. Two Zelda games, Star Fox, and now potentially Paper Mario along with the usual Lego games, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity should maintain a similar level of momentum 2015 had. Nothing to write home about, but not dead either.

Koenig

The Architect
They did sell better but they're also on platforms with considerably higher install bases. The GameCube's install base is a mere fraction of the Wii's and 3DS's. I have no issue with it perhaps being a Super Paper Mario 2, as it's a pretty good game, despite being more of a spin-off than anything else. Sticker Star I just don't plain see being used as very few actually liked it and Nintendo does care if their games are liked. You could say that they don't have an issue with criticism but, with how they kind of made Twilight Princess to appease people after Wind Waker, I'd say they care more than they let on. TBH, I don't want them to make a rehash of the original as, despite TTYD being an awesome game, a lot of it is a repeat of the first Paper Mario game and that's a valid criticism. I just want whatever new direction to go with to be fun and interesting. It's kind of why I consider Superstar Saga to be the weakest entry. For me, it's too basic and clunky, especially when compared to later entries. Granted, I played Superstar Saga after all of the other ones but that just made me more evident of what the later games did better
In regards to sales, once again I hope you are right. I have just so become so cynical of publishers these days that I don't trust any of them to make even the most basic choices involving common logic.

I do agree that the next Paper Mario game should not just be a rehash, however I still stand by my original statement that the game should be based on the foundation set by the first two games in the series. Anything else can not be considered a sequel but instead a spin off and considering Paper Mario is already a spin-off in outs own right...

I am surprised that you considered Superstar Saga to be the weakest in the M&L series though. It may be basic, but I always felt that it nailed down the tone, pacing, and general mechanics far better than the sequel games.

Koenig

The Architect
I just want to point out, I feel that the Mario RPG's are at there best when they get out of the mushroom kingdom. A lot more creative freedom is to be had when you stop working with the same assets that you have been for 30 years.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
In regards to sales, once again I hope you are right. I have just so become so cynical of publishers these days that I don't trust any of them to make even the most basic choices involving common logic.

I do agree that the next Paper Mario game should not just be a rehash, however I still stand by my original statement that the game should be based on the foundation set by the first two games in the series. Anything else can not be considered a sequel but instead a spin off and considering Paper Mario is already a spin-off in outs own right...

I am surprised that you considered Superstar Saga to be the weakest in the M&L series though. It may be basic, but I always felt that it nailed down the tone, pacing, and general mechanics far better than the sequel games.
Hey, I feel ya on that. I've been kind of turned off by home console gaming because of that

So they should make a spin off of a spin off! :p In all seriousness, TTYD is my favorite Mario RPG of the bunch, with BIS not too far behind, so I'd certainly prefer to see something more in-line with TTYD. I just hope that, if they do, they're different enough to the point that I'm not playing the original Paper Mario on steroids, which is what TTYD was. It was awesome but also a bit too much like the first one

It's pacing is no doubt better and it's mechanics work well enough but I always found the limited amount of Bros Moves to be kind of jarring after the incredibly diverse amount of moves in later M&L games. That and the game felt a bit clunky by comparison to the later entries but that could be because I was playing the port for the Wii-U. As for tone, I found it to be on par with the other M&L games. That's something I felt all of them did pretty well

Koenig

The Architect
So they should make a spin off of a spin off! :p In all seriousness, TTYD is my favorite Mario RPG of the bunch, with BIS not too far behind, so I'd certainly prefer to see something more in-line with TTYD. I just hope that, if they do, they're different enough to the point that I'm not playing the original Paper Mario on steroids, which is what TTYD was. It was awesome but also a bit too much like the first one
But that is exactly what I am looking for! New ideas are fun to toy with, but if you never get around to refining them what's the point of implementing them in first place? Doubly so when you replace better existing mechanics to make room for them. The perspective switching mechanics of Super Paper Mario were really cool, but they were detrimental to the environments of the game, the sticker collecting mechanics of Sticker Star were fun, but deeply flawed and infinitely inferior to the badge and character specials of the previous games.

A good sequel takes good ideas from the past and refines them whilst adding new ideas and mechanics in the process. Nintendo has lots of good idea's for their games, but it is rare that they take the time to refine them; often they just throw them away in favor of the next gimmick.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
But that is exactly what I am looking for! New ideas are fun to toy with, but if you never get around to refining them what's the point of implementing them in first place? Doubly so when you replace better existing mechanics to make room for them. The perspective switching mechanics of Super Paper Mario were really cool, but they were detrimental to the environments of the game, the sticker collecting mechanics of Sticker Star were fun, but deeply flawed and infinitely inferior to the badge and character specials of the previous games.

A good sequel takes good ideas from the past and refines them whilst adding new ideas and mechanics in the process. Nintendo has lots of good idea's for their games, but it is rare that they take the time to refine them; often they just throw them away in favor of the next gimmick.
Can't say I agree with Super Paper Mario's mechanics being detrimental to the environments of the game but I can agree with your point on Sticker Star as that came at the expense of better gameplay mechanics as opposed to being a fun alternative

I both agree and disagree with that. True, they often implement different gimmicks per each game but the core game itself tends to be refined and improved per entry. The new gimmicks is where it gets tricky as some like 'em, hate 'em, or are different to them

Ex-Actarus

I see this rumor as being very plausible. However, I find it unlikely for it to be announced in anything thing other than a Nintendo Direct. They have been doing maintance lately, and those are often precursors to Nintendo Directs. Nintendo is only a couple of unannounced games from having a solid lineup on Wii U this year. Two Zelda games, Star Fox, and now potentially Paper Mario along with the usual Lego games, Skylanders, and Disney Infinity should maintain a similar level of momentum 2015 had. Nothing to write home about, but not dead either.
I would not call the Wii U lineup for 2015 "solid". Let's not forget that we there are pretty much no 3 rd party games ( Skylander, Infinity, Lego and Just Dance ? Anything else ? ). Twilight Princess is a remaster, Star Fox and Paper Mario are nice addition, but we're not talking about major franchise here. So the ONLY big games coming this year is Zelda U. Compare this to a console getting Horizon, Dark Soul 3, Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV, Persona 5, Street Fighter 5, Overwatch, Far Cry Primal, The Division, etc...

However, the lineup seems to be a bit better than in 2015, which is no achievement ! Splatoon, Super Mario Maker, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Tennis, Animal Crossing Home Designer the few 3rd party games ( Skylanders and co ), am I missing something ? So with 2 or 3 more Wii U games, we should get a better lineup this year.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Miyamoto didnt do any of that.

They took feedback from club nintendo to heart and Miyamoto suggested they be m0re creative with the sutff they already have, make more interesting gameplay rather than new characters. That lead to Int Sys making the gameplay loop they did with sticker star

Koenig

The Architect
Miyamoto didnt do any of that.

They took feedback from club nintendo to heart and Miyamoto suggested they be m0re creative with the sutff they already have, make more interesting gameplay rather than new characters. That lead to Int Sys making the gameplay loop they did with sticker star
I can not find the damned article to save my life, but I specifically remember reading that the Paper Mario prototype for sticker star was repeatedly shot down by Miyamoto, ultimately pushing the team to drop the story, side characters, traditional mechanics, and new lands outside the mushroom kingdom in order to get the green light to continue the project.

Fucking hell, where is that article?

*resumes google searching*

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I can not find the damned article to save my life, but I specifically remember reading that the Paper Mario prototype for sticker star was repeatedly shot down by Miyamoto, ultimately pushing the team to drop the story, side characters, traditional mechanics, and new lands outside the mushroom kingdom in order to get the green light to continue the project.

Fucking hell, where is that article?

*resumes google searching*
http://nintendoeverything.com/miyam...3ds-prototype-was-too-much-like-the-gc-title/

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

The original idea that miyamoto had anything to do with the direction that Intsys took with Sticker star all stems from that one line in that Iwata Asks.

Its Not factually true that he did anything more thann make suggestions that would see benefits to the overall gameplay of the games. Its just the internet taking an idea and running with it no matter how inaccurate it may seem to be.

I assume they took it as an idea since Miyamoto's been pretty consistent on keeping Mario's story as basic as possible so that their not restricted when it comes to gameplay possibilities and other factors of their game design. Which after seeing how its affected Sonic and the extreme glut of characters that franchise has... yeah it makes sense.

But that philosophy has only applied to mario in Miyamoto's mind.

Koenig

The Architect
Last edited:

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I still can't find the article I was specifically looking for, those these two came close.

http://www.koopatv.org/2014/07/are-we-too-harsh-on-miyamoto.html
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/29/paper-mario-vs-nintendos-shigeru-miyamoto

My point is still the same though, Miyamato is not the devil many on the internet have made him out to be, but his negative influence on sticker star is not a negligible point either.
Nah Im gonna blame Int Sys. They were stupid pre awakening

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Nah Im gonna blame Int Sys. They were stupid pre awakening
Hey don't talk shit about the game developer that gave us Tetris Attack / Puzzle League.

Edit: That second video is nearly impossible to understand if you haven't been playing the games for a long time. I'll explain some basics. So the goal of the game is to put 3 or more blocks of the same type together. Putting more than 3 together results in a combo, and having more blocks disappear consecutively as they fall over the previously disappearing blocks creates a chain. There are many creative ways to set up these chains, but essentially they all contribute to a larger chain counter, which increases either the points your rack up, or in a competitive mode, the size of the "garbage blocks" that fall on top of your opponent's blocks. And of course, you lose when your stack reaches the top of the screen, either from it raising automatically in between chains, or from your opponent piling garbage on top of it.

Now, the big deal with Planet Puzzle League on the DS is that it made use of the touch screen for the block movement, instead of having to manually move the cursor and press a button to make it move like it was in every previous game, including Tetris Attack. This means that a player can set up chains with much more ease and in much less time. Really skilled players then use those bits of free time they now create in between one chain to create another chain elsewhere in the stack, but due to either design or some programming quirks, this separate chain is counted together with the first chain, if I recall correctly, so that the player can rack up the points much more quickly. Another important element is that in one of the previous games, the ability to raise the field of blocks even while in the middle of a chain was added, so now a chain can technically go on forever as long as the player keeps finding enough blocks to continue the chains.

So what you see in the second video is an absolute mastery over the game's many patterns, with chains being set up in very complicated ways all over the stack simultaneously. This isn't rote memorization or anything like that, the person setting these up is adapting to a random distribution of blocks every time.

Edit 2: There's no indication of it, other than the video being absolutely unbelievable, but I'm wondering whether it wasn't just a Tool-Assisted Video.

Edit 3: Found a video that is more believably. It's played in replay mode on a real DS, so while he isn't doing it live, I think it rules out the use of a Tool-Assist.

Anyway yeah, I wish more people were into Puzzle League so I could play competitively.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
The only Mario RPG I've tried was M&L and I disliked it
[/img]

Surprising. I still highly recommend trying the Paper Mario series though as it is typically much more story focused than the M&L series. If you do decide to give them a shot, I recommend playing either the N64 or Gamecube version first, the Wii version is still good, but is fundamentally a different game.