Extreme Heart - Mech Fighting Action!

Cyan

This is it TNE, the big reveal! First let me start by saying what a joy it is to be in this community. All of you are so great, and I know it's going to be a blast in here, or dare I say it - a Extreme Blast! ...Right, moving on.

I'm going to be telling you who I am in this paragraph, so get ready fun read. My name is William Starkovich. I'm a (currently) 25 year old programmer, Nintendo fan, and gamer. My first game was Super Mario Bros. and my first favorite game was Super Mario Bros. 3. My love of Mecha started with Power Rangers, and evolved into Gundam (Wing), and Evangelion. My first Mecha fighting game was Virtual-On: Oratorio Tangram on the Dreamcast. It took me a bit to figure out, but I thought it was a okay game. I fount a arcade machine for it in my adolescence and had a blast with the twin-stick setup. It's since been in my top 3 Mech games. As for my programming? I've been doing this for 9 years now I think, and tend to stick with Java, C# (Unity) and JS for making games.

Alright, lets get to the meet of the post! Extreme Heart is a Mecha fighting game using the Unity engine. I've been working on it for quite a while now, and am finally able to show good video of my work. Ladies and Gentlemen, this is that video:

As you can see the main premiss of Extreme Heart is fighting your friends using robots of the "Real Robot" genre, so less Gurren Lagann, and more Gundam/Patlbor. Hiding behind cover, attacking your enemy from above/below. A variety of long, middle, and short range attacks to choose from. That's not all though, you'll also be able to customize your Mech to your liking, and battle with a friends customized Mech as well. But that's still not all! There's also Endless Legion Mode! A mode in which you must take down key enemies while they call reinforcements to take you down. Wave after wave, attack after attack. How long can you survive?

Some key features in Extreme Heart include:
1) A 3D combat experience unlike any you've played before
2) Customize your Mechs to your liking.
3) Local Split-screen Multiplayer
4) Full Controller support
5) Fighting wave after wave in Endless Legion Mode.

Finally, here are some screenshots.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28109593/unity/extreme-heart-dev-ss-00/0.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28109593/unity/extreme-heart-dev-ss-00/1.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28109593/unity/extreme-heart-dev-ss-00/2.png

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28109593/unity/extreme-heart-dev-ss-00/3.png

Please remember that this is still very much a Work in Progress, and nothing her reflects to final versions quality.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Very cool Cyan! I'm glad you shared it with us.
My first thoughts are about balance. With customizable mechs, multiplayer, and robust mechanics, I think it will be quite challenging to balance the game by yourself.
I think getting play-testing demos out and collecting feedback will be vital to this game's success. I would love to play it myself.
Keep up the good work bro!

This is really coming along quite nicely. If you're really serious about this and need the funds, perhaps you might want to do a kickstarter or indiegogo.
Keep at it, man ;)

Koenig

The Architect
When you say a very long time, how long exactly is that? (Since I am hoping to get into development as well, any information you can spare is welcome)

Cyan

When you say a very long time, how long exactly is that? (Since I am hoping to get into development as well, any information you can spare is welcome)
@Koenig Hmm, according to the first and most recent backup of before I restarted it was only about 1.5 weeks, or 2. Then a 6 month hiatus, and now it's been like a week since I started again. I thought it was way longer, lol.

+ Added new gun "KGT Shotgun" - It's chargeable
+ Added charging functionality
+ Fixed "KGT Launcher" angle problems
+ Added ability to select your gun at the selection menu (Also has the ability to select your launcher)

@Nerdman the balancing is hard to do, indeed.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Looks like it's got some great potential, Cyan. I look forward to hearing more about it in the near future! :)>-

Cyan

returned quickboost to virtual-on style
made jump virtual-on style
removed stun when boost reaches 0.

All around faster and smoother gameplay :>

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Nice! Already looks better than before.
Are you planning on making the health and ammo numbers into bars?

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
How are you going to approach long and short range distance attacks? For example, say a player just uses long range weapons while keeping his or her distance from their opponent. This might render the melee attacks useless.
Considering players can have custom mechs, maybe you want players to be able to use different strategies.

Cyan

Nice! Already looks better than before.
Are you planning on making the health and ammo numbers into bars?

Nah, numbers are fine. Must faster to understand, but I will be making them look better.

How are you going to approach long and short range distance attacks? For example, say a player just uses long range weapons while keeping his or her distance from their opponent. This might render the melee attacks useless.
Considering players can have custom mechs, maybe you want players to be able to use different strategies.
Well, that's a secret for right now. :D

Also I'm announcing a Closed Test Demo Release. If you're interested reply here saying so, and I'll send you a Demo (Which will not reflect the final product in quality).

NOTE: You need a PC controller. (wired 360 controllers will work, and the Rock Candy ones are great for only $20).

What should you look for?

Did you manage to get outside the arena?
How did boosting/jumping/quick-boosting feel to you.
How was the CPU controlled enemy?
On a scale of 1-10 how much fun did you have with this demo?
Did any weapon feel over/under powered?

How did it run on your PC?
What FPS did it run at on your PC (Fraps will tell you.)?
Which weapon did you like the most, and why?
Which weapon did you like the least, and why?

How did the game's controls feel to you?
What, if any, other Mech fighting games have you played in the past?

What price would you pay for this on the following platforms: PC, Linux PC, Android, and Wii U ?

Cyan

This video of Extreme Heart is showing off 4 new weapons. The Machine
Gun, The Charge Sniper, the Shoulder Mounted Machine Gun, and the
devastating Gamma Ray!

Each with their own strengths and weaknesses they are sure to make the Extreme Heart battle field a fun and interesting place!

By the way, I played the demo but my mech was going all over the place, not sure if there was something wrong with the demo or my controller?
Nice update btw Cyan