****Face_Birdo**** Bona Fide Obscure Games Thread

Is that avatar in the title a man who is flexing his biceps?

Anyway,

I heard the same fucking thing for PS4, so with maybe it's a good thing? Although, the Wii U had no games early on, so...maybe not?

Hmmmmm...
Seems like it's common practise nowadays to launch a system with as little as possible. PS4 imo wasn't worth it until last year.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I was just thinking. What would put me over the edge into getting a Switch earlier than the holidays would be if Skies of Arcadia makes its way onto the VC (or a remaster, whichever comes first). Then I'd get a Switch. Otherwise, it's holiday.

So SOA before the Holidays? Instant get. No SOA before the holidays? Holiday get.

Odo

I was just thinking. What would put me over the edge into getting a Switch earlier than the holidays would be if Skies of Arcadia makes its way onto the VC (or a remaster, whichever comes first). Then I'd get a Switch. Otherwise, it's holiday.

So SOA before the Holidays? Instant get. No SOA before the holidays? Holiday get.
Right. I've got one (two, in fact) conditional game too:

FE Path of Radiance and FE Radiant Dawn.

Or perhaps FE Path of Radiance + Radiant Dawn Remaster Deluxe.

Goodtwin

Let me know how it is once you get it. I skipped Fast Racing Neo, so if this is a little better I might end up getting it.
I already enjoyed Neo, so I already know I will enjoy it. I will give my impressions later this week after I download it. I'm expecting more of the same, just prettier.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Snipperclips is great... that is the only other thing I have played on the switch (the first game I played on it, also the last time I played it)

I also have I am setsuna, but haven't played it yet, and I just created a japanese account and snagged the demo of puyo puyo tetris, but haven't played it...

honestly, the next switch game besides zelda that I even touch will probably be the splatoon 2 test fire

Snipperclips is fun, but it is something I would only play in multiplayer, I played with my mom before, and would again, but when we game together we usually just play mk8 and listen to an audiobook at the same time... can't listen to an audiobook when playing snipperclips, because we have to talk to eachother...

that, and it can be infuriating to constantly have to explain how to play to her... "no, no, it is the button to the right, if the buttons are a diamond, it is the right side point"... literally within a single puzzle I will have to remind her which button is jump like 6 times... it NEVER sticks... so I can only play snipperclips with her if I am in a patient mood

Cubits

I really dig snipperclips, it's one of my favourite puzzle games of the last several years, but the obvious caveat is that it is a multiplayer game. Even though you technically CAN play it by yourself, that's not the point. The switch does lend itself to more multiplayer possibilities than the average console though, so there should be more opportunity to play it the "proper" way.

I'm also playing shovel knight for the first time and it's basically how we wish the NES Castlevanias would play these days. The treasure trove is a huge amount of game, it suits the portable nature of the console perfectly, and the switch actually gets pretty stellar battery life while playing it!

I'll be getting fast racing again just for the technical visual snobbery, but i'm currently looking forward to the rerelease of binding of isaac (i've still never played that either), a bit of splatoon 2, and then snake pass to round out the month!

Snake Pass, incidentally, looks like a fantastic stop-gap to Yooka-Laylee. It's a two-character collectathon with a bit of a Viva Pinata visual style, music by David Wise of DKC fame, and the game has an entire button devoted to changing the snake's facial expressions! Sold, sold, sold!

Aki

I've been playing some Shovel Knight and it's great on Switch. That screen really does it justice. I like it a lot more than my 3DS version. Aside from MK8, the game that I'm really looking forward to is Dragon Quest Heroes 1 + 2. I was gonna get these on PS4 until I found out they're coming to Switch.

Edit: Oh and Lego City Undercover looks like it's gonna be pretty good on Switch too. I might be picking that up.

Last edited:

Goodtwin

I have Fast RMX, played through most of the Subsonic Campionship races, and its exactly what I expected. Its Fast Racing Neo, but with four additional tracks on top of Neo's DLC tracks, and each circuit is now three races instead of 4. Not a huge fan of that decision, but not a big deal. The games visuals certainly do look cleaner on Switch. I never though the lower resolution on Wii U was a big deal, but I could tell a big difference in image quality when playing on Switch. It looks great on both the small and big screen. The racing is a combination of wipeout and F-Zero. Its not a clone of either game, and has its own flavor. If your desperate for a new F-Zero, it could be tough to not nit pick this game in every way that its not F-Zero......because its not F-Zero. I played a little bit online, not much, but instantly got in a lobby that was nearly full, so the online community isn't dead like it was on Wii U. I would say this game stays true to its 60fps most of the time, I have experiences a hiccup here and there, but nothing major. According to Shin'en, there is a problem with the Switches current firmware that puts a slight drain on the GPU, and once that is patched the game should run pretty much locked. Overall I like it, and think its a great game to enjoy in smaller chunks. Zelda has sucked up so much of my time, but its nice to take a short break here and there to play Fast RMX. If nothing else, this is the current "tech demo" for Switch. Its gorgeous and runs at 1080p 60fps on your TV. For $20, if any of this sounds good to you, I recommend it.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I have Binding of Isaac for Switch. Steve2 has been playing it this week, and after a small learning curve, he's been loving it. Definitely seems like a game where you can expect to die, and when you win, it's more rewarding.

Aki

I've been reading some "rumors" in regards to LEGO City on Switch and it's not looking good on Warner Bros part. Apparently, they're cheaping out on putting the game on a 32GB cart and are instead putting it on a 8GB cart, completely forgoing the 16GB cards, and making us download the additional 13GB.

The reason ppl are jumping to this conclusion is because the game on Wii U is 19GB, meanwhile, the Switch version is 7.1GB, yet it's running on more advanced hardware. The back of the game's case says may require 13GB download and the front of the case says internet connection required.

Aki

i just hope that this doesn't lead to some shady practices by third parties. i can see three possible solutions, one of them is currently happening and happened with resident evil on 3ds as well. what i'm talking about is companies charging more for the switch version of the game. like i said, revelations on 3ds was $10 more expensive than other games for having to be on an 8GB cart. the second solution is what wb is supposedly doing and making us download parts of the game which is bs because if i buy a physical game, i should be able to play it right away without having to download other parts of it. obviously, patches and updates re not the same thing. finally, and least likely, they can do nothing and just lose money on the switch version.

Last edited:

Goodtwin

The fake media strikes again. Lego City Undercover can be played with no download. Way to go Venturebeat, took Eurogamer less than 24 hours to get a response from WB clarifying the issue.

Aki

Warner Bros gave an official statement saying those who buy the game at retail do not need to download it to play. Still doesn't make sense why it says 13GB required on the back when the game is 7.1GB on the cart. Guess I'm gonna have to wait until someone else buys it . . .

Cubits

The fake media strikes again. Lego City Undercover can be played with no download. Way to go Venturebeat, took Eurogamer less than 24 hours to get a response from WB clarifying the issue.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
The media is great at creating news on a slow day since gaming journalism is hardly held to any kind of ethical standard, but this case brought up a legitimate concern in the face of multiple recent $10 price hikes for switch versions of other games. What if a major publisher DID just decide to use the cheapest cart available as a key for downloadable copies?

WB cocked up in a way which still doesn't make sense as a mistake. Where did this text come from? It was clearly written specifically for the switch version! And just how big IS this game on the switch? The Wii U version clocked in at just over 19gb, and here we have conflicting reports of 7.1 and 13, neither of which really makes sense. Oddly, they add together to sound about right for the actual size of the game, which actually supports the original misinformation.

Venturebeat should've gone to WB for comment before posting their article if they wanted to strive for integrity, but the people of the original reddit source had every right to raise these concerns.

You just know some bugger of a publisher is actually going to cheap out in this exact way in the near future, they've already been doing it with discs!

Cubits

Incidentally, Snake Pass is out today, and it's damned charming!

It's a very simple collectathon, but controlling (and losing control of) the snake is plenty of fun. There's a bit of depth to the control, and it actually encourages backseat snaking from anyone watching on (oh how they mock my ability to snek!). The tank "head aiming" controls are a bit funny at first, they're nothing like the traditional style, but it helps with climbing later on.

It looks quite pretty on the TV, and it runs at a locked 30fps with no pacing issues (which is better than 60 with drops). Apparently it drops to below native res in handheld mode, but it still renders the text overlay at 720p to keep that crisp. I'll have to give that a shot later.

It's a very Rareish and unique experience, as i'd hoped.

Odo

i just hope that this doesn't lead to some shady practices by third parties. i can see three possible solutions, one of them is currently happening and happened with resident evil on 3ds as well. what i'm talking about is companies charging more for the switch version of the game. like i said, revelations on 3ds was $10 more expensive than other games for having to be on an 8GB cart. the second solution is what wb is supposedly doing and making us download parts of the game which is bs because if i buy a physical game, i should be able to play it right away without having to download other parts of it. obviously, patches and updates re not the same thing. finally, and least likely, they can do nothing and just lose money on the switch version.
Yeah, it's already happening.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...games_cost_more_than_those_for_other_consoles

Aki

Looks like LEGO City is safe to purchase. WB confirmed that the full game is in fact on the cart . . . Dumbasses should really reconsider their pr department.

I'm still quite suspicious. The game is so much tinier on Switch than it was on Wii U. Thats 18-20GB (if you're talking about XB1/PS4 version) to 7 GB on Switch. Maybe the file sizes are wrong too.

Goodtwin

Hopefully it just means that the LEGO City devs learned how to compress their files. The game has no business being the same size as Dark Souls 3 to begin with.
I was thinking the same shit. Larger than Skyrim on 360? Was Lego City on the eshop with a file size that large? I wouldn't be surprised to see an optional HD texture pack, but 18 GB never seemed right. Almost as big as Xenoblade X? Come on now, I was born at night, but not last night.

Cubits

Lego City is on the wii u eshop at around the same size as the ps4/xbone versions, the Switch version is the very odd outlier.

To be fair to that file size, the game contains A LOT of pre-rendered cutscenes, and has a huge amount of voice work in it. It has far more space-hoggy assets than your typical nintendo game, more even than XCX or BOTW.

In other news, YCG just released a patch for Shovel Knight which changes the docked output to 1080p (was 720p). Not sure why it was rendering at 720, i never noticed it was, but i'm pleasantly surprised that it's been knocked up a notch:

https://twitter.com/YachtClubGames/status/847243699733975041

Cubits

In patch news, Snake Pass just copped an update which tones down the severity of the rumble, adds DoF effects to the cutscenes, and improves the lighting/shadows. There may also be some changes to the rendering quality and/or resolution, but i haven't had time to check it out:

It definitely looks better!

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"

From what I'm reading at the WiiLobby on IGN looks like this one is set to drop on April 6th.

@simplyTravis
I'm still unsure about that game at the moment actually. It looks visually amazing. Just not sure if I'll hate it if it just boils down to a hyperchromatic bullet hell game.

I'm hoping it is a little like Turbografix 16's Fantasy Zone. If so..I'd be all over it.

I used to play this as a middle school kid when I worked at my parents driving range... I learned how to dodge golf balls and play this game.

Aki

Steve2 has been playing it. He really enjoys it, but he's taking a break for Snake Pass now.

FYI: He said it was challenging at first.
it looks cool and looked cool during the previews, but it's been getting panned by critics. user score on metacritic has it around 74% on switch. it's cheap enough to the point where i might buy it eventually.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Saw this at the WiiLobby and Gentlemen I'm about this and this is the exact kinda support I expected!!!

@EvilTw1n @Goodtwin i know y'all are into somewhat of basketball and probably loved NBA Jam. Personally I'm about this game and it looks good seeing Switch next to everyone else getting support.

Thoughts? Anyone y'all bout this?

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
Saw this at the WiiLobby and Gentlemen I'm about this and this is the exact kinda support I expected!!!

@EvilTw1n @Goodtwin i know y'all are into somewhat of basketball and probably loved NBA Jam. Personally I'm about this game and it looks good seeing Switch next to everyone else getting support.

YES! I'm so down for something like this if the price/content ratio is good. I loved me some NBA Jam back in the day. In fact, I don't see why they couldn't just use that name. "Playgrounds" makes it seem too geared towards little kids for the art style. I mean, its geared towards a somewhat younger crowd but they don't want to acknowledge that in a name of a game unless they are 9 or under.

Also, this is exactly the kind of multiplatform game the Switch needs.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

I liked NBA Jam and NBA Hang Time back in the day, and even got a bunch of fun matches of NBA Street with my younger cousin. This game is looking pretty good, and a perfect fit for the Switch since it's 2v2. Like Travis said, I hope the price is good.

Goodtwin

I was one of the few people who purchased NBA Jam on Wii, so yea, I am interested in this game. Visuals look very Street to me, and I like it. I thought Switch easnt going to get "any" third party games. LOL. It's starting to look like titles skipping Switch will be more so the exception rather than the rule.

Goodtwin

I downloaded Snake Pass today. Only have five minutes so far before I had to leave, but the game looks good. It has a soft look to its image quality, but overall I am impressed with its visuals. I will report back on it after I have some good time with the game.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Sine Mora is an old one, dont know if this being EX is new or old as well.
worth your time imo.
Sine Mora is really cool. It has a nice trick that extends its story and playtime, in that it reuses each level one more time. Essentially, and without getting into spoilers, there are two "campaigns", one in the past, and one in the future. A level that is one way in the past will be pretty different in the future, with different bosses, enemy sequences, characters, and so on. It's fun to unravel the plot while being able to compare the past and future versions of a level. Of course, the gameplay is solid as hell.

It's really something else to have these kinds of games in a portable, small system. If this game came out for the 3DS, its quality would immediately stand out. But it's almost like we can expect a game like this on the Switch every other month.