Fast Racing Neo. Dosent this have a thread!?!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The graphics look great. The game looks really fast. It's nice that it has multiplayer online. The camera looks nauseating. Honestly the controls look pretty terrible, like the vehicles are being pulled by really fast donkeys. I hope that's just the case with the vehicles showcased and that other vehicles have different handling. the way it is in that video (and I'd seen it in videos before), it's like the whole game is made up of those small parts in F-Zero with ice on the road that would make you lose some traction. Or like you're always drifting.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
The graphics look great. The game looks really fast. It's nice that it has multiplayer online. The camera looks nauseating. Honestly the controls look pretty terrible, like the vehicles are being pulled by really fast donkeys. I hope that's just the case with the vehicles showcased and that other vehicles have different handling. the way it is in that video (and I'd seen it in videos before), it's like the whole game is made up of those small parts in F-Zero with ice on the road that would make you lose some traction. Or like you're always drifting.
The more I watch it the more I very much agree with you. Could be to loose for my liking.

FriedShoes

MLG
The main dev dude seems like a cool, genuine dude. I do believe he mentions that the cars handle vastly different to each other, so I'm sure theres something that handles nicely. I've mentioned the track design issues before we even saw footage, I feel despite the flair they might feel and play same-y. I'm still interested to try it.
For the record, I dont know the voice chat situation, but I'm gonna bet there is none. No biggie.

Maybe those two cars? Perhaps there are other vehicles with better traction and the sort?

I still have hope this'll be a pretty fun game. This will go nicely with the open world NFS and the item filled nonsense of MK.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
What are y'all and TNE thinkin about this game!?!

Looks fast. It looks like it has the same rope-y handling as Fast Racing League (I'm sure the cars will handle a bit differently, but I'd bet that if you played FRL, you've got a decent idea of how this game is going to play, and it's not going to be a technician's dream by any stretch of the imagination - you won't be apexing corners and setting up drifts). It looks fun, and it looks like I'll buy it.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I am totally interested in it, and always have been since the day it was announced. And with release coming up fast (no pun intended), I can' trait to dive into another futuristic racer in my lineup. They are few and far between.

As far as how the vehicles will control, I am not too worried about that. Like the guy from Shin'en mentioned during E3, all cars have vastly different handling, or can have very different handling characteristics, so I expect all of us to find our niche.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Not gonna lie, the more I watch the less I want it. It's like they didn't have a track designer, and just let the modeler make whatever he wanted.

The game does look freaking beautiful. I get the feeling these guys love the tech, not the game design.

EvilTw1n

Not gonna lie, the more I watch the less I want it. It's like they didn't have a track designer, and just let the modeler make whatever he wanted.

The game does look freaking beautiful. I get the feeling these guys love the tech, not the game design.
The tracks kinda seem designed to be little more than a back drop. I was watching the bit from about 11:20 to 11:45 (right screen), and it's basically a straight shot...which is a long time in a game with that level of speed. Segment the track every now and again, put in an incline, invert the course, but you're essentially trying to keep things on the road. The challenge is more in maintaining speed and hitting boosts than in clearing a section flawlessly. That's most likely why the handling appears to be more boat-like than car-like (the weight distribution of the vehicles and the steering makes it look like you're racing a speed boat).

I don't say that as a complaint, though. That's just what type of game this is. It's not NFS. It's not even Ridge Racer. It's about melting your eyes in a straight-ish line while you steer toward boosters.

Shoulder

I ask myself while watching this: Are the vehicles that difficult to maneuver? I know in my previous post, I wasn't too worried, but are the drivers just not that great or simply cannot react quickly enough to the changing directions, orbs, and speed boosters?

But an even more important question though: Does this game have a dash cam, and is it as badass as NFS: Most Wanted?

Goodtwin

I'm definitely getting this game. I know some people are looking for their F-Zero fix, and this might not be it, but that doesnt mean it wont be a good game. It does look more Wipeout than F-Zero for sure. I played the demo of FRL on Wii, and it definitely handles looser than F-Zero, but it simply means their is a learning curve to master. The game looks gorgeous, and I have been a fan of Shin'en since playing Jet Rocket on Wii. They make technically impressive games that typically rely on tried and true gameplay elements. They dont reinvent the wheel, but they always seem polished.

Ex-Actarus

It does look much more like WipeOut than F-Zero. And I certainly have enjoyed the occasional WipeOut title in the past, so... put me down as a maybe...
It's definitely a mix between the two series. Now I'm not sure the game is closer to Wipeout. It's a 50/50 split for me. The tracks and speed look closer to F-Zero, but the cars and the handling seem closer to Wipeout.

Shoulder

I'm definitely getting this game. I know some people are looking for their F-Zero fix, and this might not be it, but that doesnt mean it wont be a good game. It does look more Wipeout than F-Zero for sure. I played the demo of FRL on Wii, and it definitely handles looser than F-Zero, but it simply means their is a learning curve to master. The game looks gorgeous, and I have been a fan of Shin'en since playing Jet Rocket on Wii. They make technically impressive games that typically rely on tried and true gameplay elements. They dont reinvent the wheel, but they always seem polished.
Yup. I am personally excited for this, and the that Direct-feed footage sealed the deal, no doubt.

EvilTw1n

Also worth keeping in mind in the multiplayer section they show from COV's vid link, both players pick vehicles with pretty low agility. It seems difficult to play this game without hitting walls on any turns, but maybe the high agility vehicles will be a bit more satisfying to try to play the game cleanly.

[I also kinda-but-not-totally take back that the game doesn't have much technical racing. You're going to have to manage boost, find boost orbs, switch your phase for on-track boosters, etc. I think it's gonna be neat. Not a 100+hour game like NFS:MWU at all, but it'll be a good few dozen hours of fun.]

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I initially thought the long straight stretches might be due to the courses simply being beginner tracks. Watching more videos of more tracks, I think it's just part of the game's design. I prefer racers that focus on entering and exiting turns, but considering those videos show the slowest of the three speed settings, I'm still interested.

Even if it doesn't turn out to be my cup of tea, I will still feel good about supporting this team.

Shoulder

I initially thought the long straight stretches might be due to the courses simply being beginner tracks. Watching more videos of more tracks, I think it's just part of the game's design. I prefer racers that focus on entering and exiting turns, but considering those videos show the slowest of the three speed settings, I'm still interested.

Even if it doesn't turn out to be my cup of tea, I will still feel good about supporting this team.
And I think that is what is really the situation here. The courses are designed for the faster modes in mind, much in the same way the MK8 tracks were designed with 150cc in mind. 50cc feels too slow, and sometimes, 200cc feels too fast (I haven't played it enough though).

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Those are good points about the tracks being designed with the faster modes in mind. In that case I can't wait to see them like that.

And I think that is what is really the situation here. The courses are designed for the faster modes in mind, much in the same way the MK8 tracks were designed with 150cc in mind. 50cc feels too slow, and sometimes, 200cc feels too fast (I haven't played it enough though).
I thought 200cc was pretty good for all courses

Shoulder

I honestly though you were joking about the tracks. I love 200cc, but I think the tracks need to be longer to accommodate for it. If MK9 doesn't have 200cc or longer tracks I'll be pretty disappointed.
Why wait until MK9 when Nintendo could release another DLC pack with some new tracks designed for 200cc?

I honestly though you were joking about the tracks. I love 200cc, but I think the tracks need to be longer to accommodate for it. If MK9 doesn't have 200cc or longer tracks I'll be pretty disappointed.
Yeah, the tracks may be a bit short now in 200cc mode, but it's not like any of them are unplayable.

Maybe 200cc exclusive tracks? Or 200cc track variants? Because then 50cc would be soooooo much more boring.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yeah, the tracks may be a bit short now in 200cc mode, but it's not like any of them are unplayable.

Maybe 200cc exclusive tracks? Or 200cc track variants? Because then 50cc would be soooooo much more boring.
Why not just skip 50cc altogether? To me that's what's holding the game back to begin with, that they want to accommodate for such a slow mode. It sounds like 100cc would be too hard for beginners to start with, but this wouldn't be too big of a deal if the maps are already a little longer and wider to accommodate for 200cc to begin with.

Why not just skip 50cc altogether? To me that's what's holding the game back to begin with, that they want to accommodate for such a slow mode. It sounds like 100cc would be too hard for beginners to start with, but this wouldn't be too big of a deal if the maps are already a little longer and wider to accommodate for 200cc to begin with.

That works too. I like getting gold trophies across all modes, but I hate forcing myself to deal with 50.

Shoulder

For some reason I wanna say your very right about this. If you beat 150cc gold and haven't even tried the other speeds it credits you with Gold Trophys across 50 and 100cc aswell.
I remember someone here mentioned that very thing to another TNE Wonderful One, and his response was something along the lines of, "Oh my fucking God. Really?! All that time spent, and it was for nothing?"