Fast Racing Neo. Dosent this have a thread!?!

Goodtwin

I will guess 500MB. Its the biggest game they have done, but they are master's with small file sizes.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Ha. I just noticed one of the racer names was Captain Fulcon.

When it comes to F-Zero references, they're not Fulcon around...

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
http://www.destructoid.com/review-fast-racing-neo-324776.phtml

Apparently there's a Hero mode, that's faster still and mirrors the courses. Super hard.

Review was really positive and multiplayer modes (both online and offline) work great.
Seems everyone is digging it.

http://nintendoenthusiast.com/review/fast-racing-neo-for-wii-u-review-hold-onto-your-butts/
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-12-08-wii-u-fast-racing-neo-review
http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/8/9867786/fast-racing-neo-nintendo-wii-u-review

Hero mode doesn't eff around:

Shit, looks like I might be getting this after all.
I was gonna day-one it, regardless, but it'll be even better if you're along for the ride, Cheshire.

What's the chances we can get @Karkashan in on this?

Also, I think @mattavelle1 is going to be happy over Hero mode

EvilTw1n

The fact it's only 590 MB is probably the best thing about this :p

Whelp, I told myself I wouldn't buy anything now until Fire Emblem in February. Now I need an eshop card for this and the Smash DLC.

Watching the footage of Hero mode made me think that's why the courses seem mostly straight. Going around tight corners at that speed would most likely be frustrating and such.

Still, it is doing it's own thing and some courses do look fantastic. I'll always have F-Zero GX if I want those types of courses.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Watching the footage of Hero mode made me think that's why the courses seem mostly straight. Going around tight corners at that speed would most likely be frustrating and such.

Still, it is doing it's own thing and some courses do look fantastic. I'll always have F-Zero GX if I want those types of courses.
F-Zero GX is always in my library of games to play, even if I get tired of FAST Racing Neo, there's always a back-up.

It's funny, just thinking of this as I type, but F-Zero GX is like that classic car you'll always have in the garage, and take out once in a great while. While it doesn't serve a purpose for every situation in life, in the right mood, and right time, it'll always put a huge smile in your face. And if you can tame it right, you'll reap the benefits further than you thought possible.

EvilTw1n

A little tech wonkery from Shin'en.

To achieve the look we were aiming for we researched all the tech currently available. We made very high resolution ground textures and added distant normalmaps to avoid repetition. We used a lot of procedural foliage and scattered hundred of thousands of rocks and pebbles; we also implemented atmospheric scattering, high quality soft shadows, god rays and so on.

This was fine, but we still needed iconic large assets that add scale to the environment. And what can be bigger then mountains or cliffs? The common technique is to sculpt or displace them using special tools, but these models lacked scale and shape. So we tried out 3d scanning and this was the key. We made hundreds of photos from nearby rocks and even created a small in-house photo studio for smaller assets.

Then we processed these images with special 3D scanning software. The resulting files looked marvellous but were gigabytes in size with a gazillion polygons, so we had to hand tune them to something we can use in a real time game. These final models gave us silhouettes and details, nearly impossible to sculpt from scratch. On top we added highres textures for details and normalmaps.

The final result was really mind blowing.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nd_the_scenes_of_fast_racing_neo_-_part_three

Wish this thing would hit the eShop at midnight. Nintendo doesn't do that, right?

A little tech wonkery from Shin'en.

To achieve the look we were aiming for we researched all the tech currently available. We made very high resolution ground textures and added distant normalmaps to avoid repetition. We used a lot of procedural foliage and scattered hundred of thousands of rocks and pebbles; we also implemented atmospheric scattering, high quality soft shadows, god rays and so on.

This was fine, but we still needed iconic large assets that add scale to the environment. And what can be bigger then mountains or cliffs? The common technique is to sculpt or displace them using special tools, but these models lacked scale and shape. So we tried out 3d scanning and this was the key. We made hundreds of photos from nearby rocks and even created a small in-house photo studio for smaller assets.

Then we processed these images with special 3D scanning software. The resulting files looked marvellous but were gigabytes in size with a gazillion polygons, so we had to hand tune them to something we can use in a real time game. These final models gave us silhouettes and details, nearly impossible to sculpt from scratch. On top we added highres textures for details and normalmaps.

The final result was really mind blowing.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...nd_the_scenes_of_fast_racing_neo_-_part_three

Wish this thing would hit the eShop at midnight. Nintendo doesn't do that, right?
I think they do midnight releases of some of their own bigger games.

Fast Racing will most likely be available whenever the eshop updates tomorrow.

Goodtwin

Shin'en is in my opinion the most tech savey developer on the Nintendo platform, including Nintendo themselves. I say this because of what they accomplish with such limited resources. Fast Racing Neo looks as good as anything in Wii U. I know it's a linear racing game, but it's still an incredible accomplishment. This game and X are the biggest technical achievements on Wii U.

EvilTw1n

Went home for lunch so I could buy this. DL-ed and raced one cup.

The Sub-Sonic class seems slow in vids. It isn't that slow when you're actually playing it.

The tracks seem too straight in vids. They aren't too straight when you're actually playing it.

It's smartly designed. You're making decisions often - get boost balls here, use boost here, set up phase boost here, switch phases here - which, in effect, is the tradeoff for less technical track design. Hairpin turns wouldn't work in this game. The technique isn't dabbing your brake to shift weight and apex a turn. It's using the lean to get orbs to set up a boost.

Isn't shy about difficulty, either. Honestly not sure if I'm going to even unlock the highest speed cups.
Shin'en is in my opinion the most tech savey developer on the Nintendo platform, including Nintendo themselves. I say this because of what they accomplish with such limited resources. Fast Racing Neo looks as good as anything in Wii U. I know it's a linear racing game, but it's still an incredible accomplishment. This game and X are the biggest technical achievements on Wii U.
It looks really nice, but I'm spoiled by NFS:MWU (it didn't have the highest framerate - especially online - but the city was beautiful, the lighting was great, the car models were fairly true to the sources, and the street textures were super sharp). FRN has stability and a higher framerate going for it, though, and it is pretty incredible to have a PS3-looking futuristic racer selling for $15 from an indie.

I too did one cup. Lots of fun so far.

I heard to unlock the hardest mode available you only need to place third overall in some cups. Not sure if true or not, but at least there seems to be some head room.

Time Attack is actually pretty hard. There are developer times to beat, and I often find myself losing by micro seconds. Last one I did I won by just 0.5 seconds. Good practice too.

Shoulder

Can't wait to play it tomorrow evening when I get back from work. From what I've been reading, it's faster than you'd expect (the 60fps probably has something to do with it), and much more difficult than you'd expect. Also, going from subsonic to supersonic (let alone hypersonic) is immense is what I've been hearing too.

This will be easy to put 15 bucks down on. I also have some bucks left on my eShop account, so no harm, no foul here. ;)

So I convinced it's impossible to get first place in some tracks. Neon cup's first track ends with a bunch of boosts, and the last few times I tried that course, I would use my own boost with the track boosts. Always ALWAYS another racer comes flying past me and no matter how hard I try, I cannot get fucking first on this track.

And this is on novice mode. Holy fuck. This is F Zero all over again.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So I convinced it's impossible to get first place in some tracks. Neon cup's first track ends with a bunch of boosts, and the last few times I tried that course, I would use my own boost with the track boosts. Always ALWAYS another racer comes flying past me and no matter how hard I try, I cannot get fucking first on this track.

Hmmmmmmmm

EvilTw1n

Man, I only played the first cup, and I thought I was getting pretty good when I settled in to the last couple of races. Then I finished third and second, back to back. I'm not great at futuristic arcade racers, either, but it still seems like there is no "settling in" period. Shin'en expects your butt to be fully settled in by the time you pick up the controller.

Depending on anyone's particular POV, it'll either be tough, or prohibitively-difficult-bordering-on-cheap. There is no wrong answer there, either.

Can't wait to try out the online.

Shoulder

Just to be clear, F Zero X's normal mode was too easy, while hard was impossible for me. And I already told you how I can't unlock the AX cups in GX.

That's what I meant. I feel like I won't be getting far into this game cause for whatever reasons, all futuristic racers are just impossible to me.
I managed to complete the Ruby Cup on Master difficulty, but that's as far as I got on the hardest difficulty for F-Zero GX. One of these days though...I WILL unlock AX cup. :msrs:

Goodtwin

This is just like F-Zero. LOL

Seriously though, this game is fast and handles much differently than F-Zero. I probably will struggle to simply unlock the highest speed. Subsonic is fun, and I hope you can race in subsonic online. The game looks really good, but now that I have it on the big screen, I can see some compromises. They want with really high quality textures up close, but have seen some really low res stuff in passing. Still looks great, just not as floored as I was from videos.

EvilTw1n

Online is pretty damn smooth. Not much in the way of textural compromises, and the framerate is, so far, rock solid. Seemed like Sub Sonic speeds.
This is just like F-Zero. LOL

Seriously though, this game is fast and handles much differently than F-Zero. I probably will struggle to simply unlock the highest speed. Subsonic is fun, and I hope you can race in subsonic online. The game looks really good, but now that I have it on the big screen, I can see some compromises. They want with really high quality textures up close, but have seen some really low res stuff in passing. Still looks great, just not as floored as I was from videos.
Oddly, they left the boost orbs kinda low res. The passing scenery doesn't bother me, but the desaturated colors kinda do. I grok why they did it - the phase boosts really need to stick out with their neon - but it makes the rest of the game a bit meh in spots.

Still...that's just me nit picking. It's a $15 indie with PS3 visuals. That's pretty amazing, when you think about it. Less than a decade ago, a game that looked this good would've been a AAA-budget title.
I just meant this is another game I doubt I'll complete.

Another "F Zero", another "Ninja Gaiden", etc
Yeah, no chance I can gold this one out. There's no "restart race" option (you have to restart the whole cup/series), and I didn't manage to podium on the third one in Sub-Sonic. Only my first try, but it's pretty stiff competition in the slowest, easiest mode.