Fast Racing Neo. Dosent this have a thread!?!

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Is there a night this week we can put a group together to play? I am typically available around 8:30 eastern time.
I suggested Wednesday last page, but I'm open to whenever. We will (hopefully) have a lot of people's schedules to organize around.

Goodtwin

Can anyone else do Wednesday? So far ET and I are available.

@Shoulder
When during the weekend so you play? I'm sure we can get something going then as well.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Saturday would be best for me, not tired from work and I can stay up late and stuff. I'm sure I'll eventually play with some of you. Though Ii might just focus on some single player for a bit.

EvilTw1n

Well, no Wednesday, I guess. I may not be around Saturday, but we shall see. I just wanna get a big room of TNE together to play games.

EvilTw1n

I keep completely forgetting about this game. Not sure if that's on me or the game itself.
not alone I was surprised to see it had released, just found out today.
Racing games haven't exactly been TNE's favorite genre (NFS has its nights here and there, but we were always more about speedwalls than playing together). Add that to the fact that this game launched in XCX's shadow and is pretty damn difficult, and I think you get the reason why it hasn't caught fire here.

Still gonna try to push it, though. I've played online with GT and COV, and it was pretty fun. I think it'd be even better with a bigger crowd and some voice chat.

Racing games haven't exactly been TNE's favorite genre (NFS has its nights here and there, but we were always more about speedwalls than playing together). Add that to the fact that this game launched in XCX's shadow and is pretty damn difficult, and I think you get the reason why it hasn't caught fire here.

Still gonna try to push it, though. I've played online with GT and COV, and it was pretty fun. I think it'd be even better with a bigger crowd and some voice chat.
While you're right that racing isn't normally my favorite genre, before FRN came out, I was in the perfect mood for one. I was debating getting Need for Speed Rivals, cause when I'm in the mood for racing, it hits me hard.

Beat the slowest setting, played online with you and GT once...and then completely forgot about it.

I also didn't get XCX so there's that too :p

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru

Hmm could also be because of how dead the genre has been on nintendo consoles since the wii. Being a huge fan of the genre. The wii's library of racers was.... abysmal at best. [not counting any virtual console releases or wiiware ones] you had the excite series " truck/bots" and mario kart/ sonic racing. Outside of those.......... :/ There REALLY wasn't any other one worth touching on the system for retail releases.... except maybe a need for speed game if desperate enough. I tried carbon, really disliked the controls but it definitely was full of content and sadly nothing from 3rd parties really came close overall to it and it was a launch title...., tried nitro.. too little content to justify the $50 price, what little that was there was somewhat decent, but was just too expensive for it.

Wiiu is in the exact same state except it isn't crowded with like a hundred pos shovelware racers. sonic transformed i personally really like.. on pc that is. framerate issues plus the game being running closer to 480p than 720p with those kind of frame rate drops was just ugh on wiiu for me, but still a very solid game none the less, then you get most wanted and everyone already knows of it, afterwards mario kart.. There's nothing else at all until you move to either virtual console/ e shop indie titles.

Goodtwin

I'm good for the typical 9 eastern time pretty much daily. Weekends are less predictable, but I am always down with trying to make it happen. Let's make it a DUI night at crazy speeds. :)

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I'm good for the typical 9 eastern time pretty much daily. Weekends are less predictable, but I am always down with trying to make it happen. Let's make it a DUI night at crazy speeds. :)

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
I wonder if a FAST Racing Neo DUI night would be like how many of us perform at Beer Pong: We get better the drunker we are...

Shoulder

I'm still up for some FRN tonight if people are, although it might not be until 10 EST when I'd be ready. If that's an issue, then just start without me or something if that time is too late to start.

EvilTw1n

Well, I've been in an empty lobby listening to repetitive techno music for 30 minutes, and that's as much as I can stand.

Maybe next time, folks.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I started working on the time trials first. So far, I've only played the cups to unlock the tracks in time trial.

As for time trials, I got stuck in the 2nd race of the 2nd cup on subsonic. I'm a second behind the developer's record.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I haven't really tried out online yet. I wanted to get familiar with the courses first, and as I did, I feel like this game has a pretty major flaw. I wanted to ask those who have played online about this.

Does the person in first just run away with it? There are many sections where the orbs are placed in a single line. First place could easily grab them and anyone who is trailing closely behind will miss out on them. This leaves first place to just blow the top off the race.

Shoulder

I haven't really tried out online yet. I wanted to get familiar with the courses first, and as I did, I feel like this game has a pretty major flaw. I wanted to ask those who have played online about this.

Does the person in first just run away with it? There are many sections where the orbs are placed in a single line. First place could easily grab them and anyone who is trailing closely behind will miss out on them. This leaves first place to just blow the top off the race.
@EvilTw1n , @Goodtwin , and I played a little bit of online earlier this evening, and while the person in first did stay in first, it was possible to catch up with them. For example, not all the orbs can always be picked up, so the other players can always pick those up and use them to get more boost. Also, depending on what vehicle you use also makes a difference.

Shoulder

So I unlocked Hypersonic league, and managed to get through the first cup in that league, which surprisingly I did better there than I did during the entire Supersonic league (somehow placed 1st). That doesn't sound right...

I also tried out Hero mode, and subsequently died halfway through the race, but that looked pretty fun.

Oh, and about the speed in hypersonic?

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
It was surprisingly fine if you ignore the constant disconnects and occasional freezing and terrible voice chat.
It would probably have run so much better if they didnt keep traffic on in online. So stupid.
ouch... :/ this game crashed enough as it was just in single player, though it tended to do it more often if the system was connected online for some reason in my experience. Though I have no idea how much better it would've run with cars off but even in single player certain races with no traffic had the frame rate nose dive.

EvilTw1n

lol that game couldn't even hold 30fps in single player, it looked pretty didn't run so great. I'd hate to imagine how the online possibly was.
It was surprisingly fine if you ignore the constant disconnects and occasional freezing and terrible voice chat.
It would probably have run so much better if they didnt keep traffic on in online. So stupid.
Yeah, they should have at least put that in the options, since it exists for the offline portion. May have freed up enough CPU/GPU usage to make it more stable. But eh, I think the game has pretty muh frozen on me the past three or four times I've gone back to play it online.

I know NFS is open world, but stability-wise, FRN really does embarrass it.

Goodtwin

I think the AI struggles at this speed. They seem to crash a lot. Its hard to feel good about it when you ping ponging off the walls. I love this game at subsonic speeds, and less so with each step up. It was more satisfying winning slower cups against AI that was actually good, rather than win against AI that crashes a lot.

Attachments

Shoulder

I think the AI struggles at this speed. They seem to crash a lot. Its hard to feel good about it when you ping ponging off the walls. I love this game at subsonic speeds, and less so with each step up. It was more satisfying winning slower cups against AI that was actually good, rather than win against AI that crashes a lot.
It's funny because I placed first in my first hypersonic cup as well. Thinking about it more, is it possible the AI just cannot keep up? Would be a question to ask Shin'en just for kicks...

BobSilencieux

So I've been playing for a couple of days, and, well... I'm not overly impressed. There just doesn't seem to be much of a good game under the admittedly great presentation. My main concern I thought would be highlighted best in pictorial form:

FRN.png

I finished in first place in every race in the Subsonic League on pretty much my first try. At the time of writing this, I've put a few hours into the Cobalt Cup on Supersonic, and have only managed to fluke a single first place despite now knowing the tracks like the back of my hand. Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining that the game is "too hard," I'm complaining that the jump in speed of the AI racers from one difficulty to the next is a bit stupid.

Shoulder

So I've been playing for a couple of days, and, well... I'm not overly impressed. There just doesn't seem to be much of a good game under the admittedly great presentation. My main concern I thought would be highlighted best in pictorial form:

View attachment 3199

I finished in first place in every race in the Subsonic League on pretty much my first try. At the time of writing this, I've put a few hours into the Cobalt Cup on Supersonic, and have only managed to fluke a single first place despite now knowing the tracks like the back of my hand. Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining that the game is "too hard," I'm complaining that the jump in speed of the AI racers from one difficulty to the next is a bit stupid.
Interestingly enough, when I got to Hypersonic, I won my first race rather easily. Compare that to Supersonic, I believe I only managed 3rd place. I think Hypersonic is almost too fast for the A.I. to keep up.

So really that graph should curve into a Camel's hump.

View attachment 3199

For a second there I thought you were drawing out the typical track layout.

Goodtwin

FRN is a great game at subsonic speeds. It's fun to play against each other online, and try to beat the developers times in time trials, but the faster speeds seem to have some AI patterns that have them come blazing past you right at the end. Half the AI racers are terrible, with a couple being almost too perfect. I like the game, but have no ambition to go for Gold in Hypersonic.