Fatal Frame 5 Information Thread

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
After being stealth-announced a couple of months back, Fatal Frame 5 has been shrouded in mystery until now. There was recently a stream on Nico Nico and here I put together all the info I found in it so you all can enjoy.

This game is promised to use the gamepad extensively, and will of course be the Camara Obscura. This is supposed to be one of the sweeter and crazier can-only-be-done-on-WiiU-games. The trailer shown at this event shows a girl getting a request to find a missing person in these mountains. For Japan the full name is: Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko. The concept for this game is all about water and will take place in these mountains with haunted Japanese houses, this mountain is known as Hikamiyama, known as the Mountain of Death. A lot of places will have flowing water and there will be a lot of picture taking with the gamepad. The game will take place in an open sort of area in said mountain. The main character's Japanese name is Kozukata Yuuri, and she possesses the ability to look for people in the ghost world and bring them back. This will be the biggest Fatal Frame yet.

For the information above, thanks to @RyougaSaotome on Twitter. The following pictures are from NeoGAF, these pictures were all shown in the presentation. First things first, sexy GIF:

Now to the pictures!

The game will be debuting in Japan on September 27th. It is not known if it is coming to America yet, but we sure hope it is. Now for the last thing: Here is an EXTREMELY low quality trailer which is not faithful whatsoever to the actual trailer, I will edit in a better looking trailer as soon as it goes up. The trailer is courtesy of GamesHQMedia:
The full English name is Fatal Frame: The Raven Haired Shrine Maiden
EDIT: I did not add movie stuff since I made this exclusively for the game.

Last edited:

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Sweet! Sounds like the kind of game that will use the gamepad not to just display an identical image or a menu screen. I love the more creative uses for the gamepad (which is why I adore the Luigi's Mansion-esque minigame in Nintendoland).
I've heard great things about Fatal Frame and I'm really eager to see more about this game as it comes.

By the way is that English name just the translated version of the Japanese name? Or is it the actual name the English version will be released under. Just Shrine Maiden would sound way better than Black-haired Shrine Maiden honestly haha

EthanGK

It has a lot going for it in terms of potential localisation. The series has somewhat of a following from what I've seen. It's different to anything the Wii U has. It shows off the Wii U hardware.
Something about using a gun in horror games has always taken me out of the experience so I would love for this to be my first real horror game that I actually keep playing haha

DarkKevit

That old bloke from Crete...
This looks great, just hope the mega NoE decide to localise it!!
As to the English, I saw on GAF that a closer translation of the title is..
Fatal Frame:The Raven Haired Shrine Maiden, which if true sounds better to me. Fingers crossed guys that Nintendo get their shit together and localise this for the West.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I made a thread for this elsewhere lol.

Also if it is localized it my be as FFV:priestess of the Raven.

Anyway there's a hollywood movie in production along with the kadokawa film

EthanGK

That definitely sounds better DarkKevit. Still kinda weird to include a descriptive about a completely ordinary appearance aspect in the title haha.
Brb playing The Legend of the Young Blonde Princess.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

As great as it looks, NoA ain't going to localize it. Fatal Frame isn't exactly as big as some other horror franchises...
Nintendo localized flippin' spirit camera dude lol.

Also anything not named Resident Evil kinda does shitty in the wider market.

Beside that, theres an english trailer for the japanese fatal frame movie too. So we have TWO fatal frame movies being released in America. Reggie cant keep this one in Japan.

The last one was buggy and came out at the Wii's end. Reggie didnt have time to care about the niche horror title lol

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Nintendo localized flippin' spirit camera dude lol.

Also anything not named Resident Evil kinda does shitty in the wider market.

Beside that, theres an english trailer for the japanese fatal frame movie too. So we have TWO fatal frame movies being released in America. Reggie cant keep this one in Japan.

The last one was buggy and came out at the Wii's end. Reggie didnt have time to care about the niche horror title lol
They did but that doesn't change the fact that they don't localize a lot of games from Japan

True

There is that but I don't think we can necessarily take that as confirmation of Fatal Frame 5 being localized

There is that but, come on, at that point the Wii-U wasn't even out and the Wii wasn't getting ANYTHING. They could've at least released the previous Fatal Frame game everywhere else

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

They did but that doesn't change the fact that they don't localize a lot of games from Japan

True

There is that but I don't think we can necessarily take that as confirmation of Fatal Frame 5 being localized

There is that but, come on, at that point the Wii-U wasn't even out and the Wii wasn't getting ANYTHING. They could've at least released the previous Fatal Frame game everywhere else
They localize practically everything, even if they made some strange choices in terms of what they released and NoE handles most of it. Hell they're localizing third party stuff now.

I've never been particularly attracted to survival horror games but for some reason this game has caught my attention from the instant I started watching the trailer. Graphics look pretty amazing and it sounds like the GamePad will be used for a lot more than just displaying a map or your objective; so right now I'm quite interested in it. I guess we just have to hope it gets localized!

GaemzDood

You people may be older than me, but you'll cowards don't even smoke crack.

But seriously, between this, Devil's Third, & Bayonetta 2, I finally have reasons to get a Wii U.

Cubits

It appears to be the best fatal frame by far, but damn... it's just too japanese for publishers to localise.

Maybe NOE will pull some strings and do the work, they're champs (and the british dubbing is always refreshing).

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I dont want any dubbing for this game lol. Japanese + subtitles.

Also considering there's a hollywood movie in the works and the film by kadokawa is getting released over here, I'm almost certain its getting localized.

We'll probably have to wait till 2015 though ;-;

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Does this mean they will localize?
Its a 'no' as of now. The "as far as we know" gives me some pause though, some hope.
Nintendo put money into this game, its silly to think they'd only release it in Japan, no matter how niche it seems.
One would hope they learned something from OpRainfall, but this is still the same Nintendo that didn't think of localizing Dynamic Slash or Dragon Quest X.