[feedback please] Request for help with Indie Game

Cyan

I've been developing tools for a new project for about a month now, and with the tools finally in a 1.0 status I think it's time I took things to the next level and tried to make a game again. I'm still not sure of the setting or characters, but I know I want it to be a beat 'em up, or a fighting game. The abillity to draw sprites of any shape and size in the right area, and add any number of hit boxes to it (3 different kinds of hit boxes) are the fruits of my labor.

Please see for yourself, but remember the sprite isn't the focus, it's his lack of jitter, and the hitboxes that are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBUUJdABNmQ

What I'm currently looking for is two spriters, and an artist (for concept art, and such). I'm working for free myself, and without a job I can only offer you a spot in the credits.

Other projects I've worked on include, but are not limited to the following:

NeroEdge - A Java FPS made from scratch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJpDR7oc7Hk

Full Armored Landing League - A new kind of racing game coded in Java.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5C7qGhl6hA

XenXero - A MegaMan X/Zero style game coded in C#.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypvhfdkPTso

Nameless Project - A Wizard game inspired by Cadash, and coded in Java. Uses Interesting charge machanic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkOlnKkbwqE

Strange World - A Java project inspired by Zelda and Dragon Quest.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ0OwjMsAqI

All of these projects have failed because of lack of resources, and a team. I have always coded them to the very end. I'm a very friendly, and reliable person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For feedback I'm looking for things that sound odd, bad, or out of place.
Things that can be expanded upon to make readers want to work with me more.

And of course typos and mispellings.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Hey! I see you are an Ubuntu man, good choice ;)
Unfortunately, I can't offer any help because I'm in basically the same situation you are! I write the code, but the projects tend to fall by the wayside because I don't have the artistic skills to give it that polish that I really want my works to have. I'm working on a game right now though that I hope will look pretty nice when I'm done. I have to ask, however, about your code, because that's what really interests me. Basically I'm just wondering if you use an existing library for these projects or not. For example, in the past, I've used Libgdx, LWJGL, and I've also just used Java2D. Just wondering what your approach is. Also with the 3D game, did you use an OpenGL binding like LWJGL or maybe something like jMonkey or Java3D, or did you write your own software renderer for it?

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
As you know Cyan I'd love to offer you any help that I can. Unfortunately that isn't spiriting or artwork, as I can only offer you music and sound effects.

I know a few artists, but I don't think they're really suited for this type of work unfortunately...You can find spriters around the net quite easily on deviantArt and such but you need to be confident in your decision of who you decide to approach, to avoid those who might waste your time. You also would need to give them confidence to work with you. Your portfolio is pretty robust and impressive thoughy so I don't think you have to worry about that.

I really like XenXero and FALL btw, especially the wall jumping in XenXero. Love me some wall jumping :)

Cyan

Hey! I see you are an Ubuntu man, good choice ;)
Unfortunately, I can't offer any help because I'm in basically the same situation you are! I write the code, but the projects tend to fall by the wayside because I don't have the artistic skills to give it that polish that I really want my works to have. I'm working on a game right now though that I hope will look pretty nice when I'm done. I have to ask, however, about your code, because that's what really interests me. Basically I'm just wondering if you use an existing library for these projects or not. For example, in the past, I've used Libgdx, LWJGL, and I've also just used Java2D. Just wondering what your approach is. Also with the 3D game, did you use an OpenGL binding like LWJGL or maybe something like jMonkey or Java3D, or did you write your own software renderer for it?

Ah, that was a long time ago. I mainly use windows now, and when I do use Linux I like using #! (CrunchBang). You know about Ubuntu's spyware, right? http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ubuntu-spyware.html

Anyway, back on topic: NeroEdge uses LWJGL, and all my 2d java projects use Slick2d. XenXero, being in C# uses XNA if I remember correctly.

Thank you for your feedback. :D
As you know Cyan I'd love to offer you any help that I can. Unfortunately that isn't spiriting or artwork, as I can only offer you music and sound effects.

I know a few artists, but I don't think they're really suited for this type of work unfortunately...You can find spriters around the net quite easily on deviantArt and such but you need to be confident in your decision of who you decide to approach, to avoid those who might waste your time. You also would need to give them confidence to work with you. Your portfolio is pretty robust and impressive thoughy so I don't think you have to worry about that.

I really like XenXero and FALL btw, especially the wall jumping in XenXero. Love me some wall jumping :)
Thank you for your feedback, and interest in FALL and XenXero.
If you'd like I can give you the last builds of both to play around with. :D

DarkDepths

I actually gave up on Ubuntu when I built my new computer. I had been dual booting on my laptop but it was getting to be too much of a hassle, so I decided I would just stick with Window. I was actually on the cusp of installing CrunchBang one day but a last moment decision turned me away. I'm pretty happy with Windows 7 anyways. I've never used Slick2D, though I've looked into it slightly at times. I'm wondering if your hitbox system uses some collision detection functions built into Slick 2D, or did you write your own implementation for it? I've actually never done oobb's, mostly because I've always been able to get away either aabb's or other more custom methods in my projects.

Cyan

Slick2D is great, and yeah I'm using their collision functions for Shapes. In-fact each box is a Shape in my loader. I really don't like having to write collision detection. LoL

Also, I forgot about this project of mine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYFSiy0hkIw

I just uploaded that video. I got the final build of that if anyone wants to try that as well.
Should I add this project into my blog post?

So what language and resources are you doing this in and what platform are you trying to make it for? PC?

I wouldn't mind helping but you'd still need a sound guy, it also sounds like it'll be a lot of art to take on for one person, but it sounds like fun. I'm not overloaded, but I'm not sure how much time as a whole I'll be able to dedicate to this bc any game can get a bit crazy. (I'm also in the middle of purchasing a new computer so my speed might be limited for a few weeks)

I'm not sure on the actual ideas for a game that you have, and I can't tell how in-depth your engine is from the video but it sounds like fun, and I guess more solid details can come when you have a full team together.

Cyan

Nope, They do not run on Mac. I mean they could, but you'd have to track down the LWJGL ver and get the natives, than find out how to put the natives in the class path. It'd be a decient amount of work per game. :<

Also, a new job position! Anyone could do it!
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/discussion/1392/cysprite-released

If anyone wants to try this out, and maybe help me on my fighting game by becoming a frame developer (It's easy) I'd be honored!
Likewise, if you wanna check it out let me know what you think!

Cyan

So what language and resources are you doing this in and what platform are you trying to make it for? PC?

I wouldn't mind helping but you'd still need a sound guy, it also sounds like it'll be a lot of art to take on for one person, but it sounds like fun. I'm not overloaded, but I'm not sure how much time as a whole I'll be able to dedicate to this bc any game can get a bit crazy. (I'm also in the middle of purchasing a new computer so my speed might be limited for a few weeks)

I'm not sure on the actual ideas for a game that you have, and I can't tell how in-depth your engine is from the video but it sounds like fun, and I guess more solid details can come when you have a full team together.
Java, using LWJGL, and Slick2d. Making it for PC. Yeah, I but sound guys are easy to come by, I got a few I could probably get on board right now :>
The engine is just being built, but I normally get a engine nicely done in a month or so.

what kind of artist are you? Sprite, or Concept?

Java, using LWJGL, and Slick2d. Making it for PC. Yeah, I but sound guys are easy to come by, I got a few I could probably get on board right now :>
The engine is just being built, but I normally get a engine nicely done in a month or so.

what kind of artist are you? Sprite, or Concept?
I can do both, although I prefer to do Concepts, I can (and usually) do both. I think it looks pretty nice what you have and this could be a fun summer project. Just what/whenever you want to start on making a full game (or you know, get the full team you want together), let me know. (if you want everyone to start brainstorming ideas, or what direction you want us to take on your project)
I think I have enough time to work on this with you, but I can't promise 100% of myself on this because it's free. (You know, I can't prioritize this over real jobs, every vacation/no breaks, 80hr a week, through the night until morning kind of thing to make deadlines) I feel like I have to make that clear up front, because I know otherwise it'll look like I'm giving 110% or 210%, and up to do that all the time. I don't want people to get that impression that I'm going to absolutely be relied on to make every deadline someone gives me (but I'll be sure to make it clear when I can't make one). (I guess I'm also taking this from a perspective of doing most of the art) I'm kind of looking at this as a fun project to scope out anyone that I might want to partner with and/or hire on a project later.
I say I can do both, I can't say for certainty I'd be the best to do both until I knew the direction you want to go with the actual game... but to be honest I'm kind of surprised at the art difference from your game and your icon. I assume you did both, so I'm kind of confused over your artistic ability. Is it that you are more of a concept artist, because learning how to do sprite work isn't that hard to get use to if you can otherwise computer paint.. Still, I'm excited, it looks great, possibilities seem to be bubbling in my head, although I'm trying not to go too crazy because I don't know things like how much processing power it'll take to run your engine, and things like the number of things able to be running on screen at the same time, as with things like how are you going to handle jumping/gravity and how strenuous that'll be on it. Also I wonder how portable your engine is, being Java and Slick2d it should be fairly portable, but those are just the things I'm thinking about.

Cyan

ALL PROJECTS ON HAIATUS!

Slick2d is dead. I'm going to learn LibGDX.

@bell02
Sorry. I didn't reply back because I wanted to wait until I got a bit farther in the fighting game and knew exactly the style I was going for. Now I'll have to recode it from scratch cause Slick2d went bye bye. It'll be a while. I'm going to try a few other projects to get stuff done quikcly, so I might bug you about these once they're in beta, if you're okay with that.

DarkDepths

If you need any pointers, let me know. LibGDX is really simple to use though! That being said, surely the latest version of Slick2d is suitable for your game. Why the need to switch?

Cyan

If you need any pointers, let me know. LibGDX is really simple to use though! That being said, surely the latest version of Slick2d is suitable for your game. Why the need to switch?
Slick2D's site has been down for like a month. I can't get the docs to the latest version. :<

DarkDepths

Oh, well that does indeed suck! Well, like I said, if you need a hand with any LibGDX stuff, let me know!