Film Enthusiast

Anyone on Nintendo Enthusiast that enjoys film as much as me? What are some of your favorite film and why? Any interest in the art of film making? I'm into writing screenplays as a hobby. Let's see if there is any film buffs here.

I've had a dream for a long time to write a screenplay. Got a few ideas.

I do love films, but I know I'm missing on a lot of those "omg you didn't see THAT movie?" type things.

Personal favorite of all time? Probably Aliens. Fucking oozes classic. Other than that, anything by Stanley Kubric and Quentin Tarantino.

Of course...Godzilla.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
^
I watched Pulp Fiction this past weekend. I had forgotten what a good piece of movie making that was.

Anyone on Nintendo Enthusiast that enjoys film as much as me? What are some of your favorite film and why? Any interest in the art of film making? I'm into writing screenplays as a hobby. Let's see if there is any film buffs here.
Check out this thread; we discussed some similar territory.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/making-a-giant-list-of-movies-i-need-to-see.441/

I've been on a big cinematography kick (same as that thread), so anything with Conrad Hall or Roger Deakins gets my nod of approval.

Is your av from Blue Is The Warmest Color, Riku? I've been meaning to watch that on Netflix.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I used to love film... no I think TV absolutely trounces film...

lord of the rings and the hobbit are good.. game of thrones is better
goodfellas was amazing.. but the sopranos was better
take just about any cop/drug dealer movie... the wire and breaking bad are better
just about any 1960s period piece... mad men is better

I still like films though

I think films work best for small experiences... like I absolutely LOVED chronicle... it just felt like this brief window into a scene of absolute chaos... something like "a simple plan" played out perfectly in its short time.. any more time and it would have gotten old... then you have indie gems like the princess and the warrior and L.I.E. and of course the big spectacles like Marvel movies (though those are kind of like TV since so many come out every year and they have the sort of long format story telling of TV)

when I was big into movies my favorites were The Evil Dead (got me interested in film because of its independent spirit and surrealistic camera work.. I loved that it could be so masterful and yet not LOOK masterful to the casual eye... I think the last 30 minutes of the movie are absolutely brilliant)

a Simple Plan - such a slow subtle and deliberate movie that just spirals out of control emotionally

Fight Club - this was the kind of movie I wanted to make... when I saw it I was actually kind of depressed, because i knew I would never make something that did what it did as well as it did

I got big into indies in the late 90s too.. but most of them are WAY overrated and oscar-baitie...

though some I thought were brilliant...

I mentioned the princess and the warrior and L.I.E., but I also really dug Mulholand drive, and nobody knows

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I used to love film... no I think TV absolutely trounces film...

lord of the rings and the hobbit are good.. game of thrones is better
goodfellas was amazing.. but the sopranos was better
take just about any cop/drug dealer movie... the wire and breaking bad are better
just about any 1960s period piece... mad men is better

I still like films though

I think films work best for small experiences... like I absolutely LOVED chronicle... it just felt like this brief window into a scene of absolute chaos... something like "a simple plan" played out perfectly in its short time.. any more time and it would have gotten old... then you have indie gems like the princess and the warrior and L.I.E. and of course the big spectacles like Marvel movies (though those are kind of like TV since so many come out every year and they have the sort of long format story telling of TV)

when I was big into movies my favorites were The Evil Dead (got me interested in film because of its independent spirit and surrealistic camera work.. I loved that it could be so masterful and yet not LOOK masterful to the casual eye... I think the last 30 minutes of the movie are absolutely brilliant)

a Simple Plan - such a slow subtle and deliberate movie that just spirals out of control emotionally

Fight Club - this was the kind of movie I wanted to make... when I saw it I was actually kind of depressed, because i knew I would never make something that did what it did as well as it did

I got big into indies in the late 90s too.. but most of them are WAY overrated and oscar-baitie...

though some I thought were brilliant...

I mentioned the princess and the warrior and L.I.E., but I also really dug Mulholand drive, and nobody knows

Part of the reason for that probably stems from the fact that TV shows can carry on with the story for much longer as opposed to a movie, so development of the characters can occur throughout a more spread out time period. I mean, imagine if a show like Breaking Bad was simply a 2 hour movie. I'm currently midway through season 3, and I simply could not imagine all that being condensed into a 2, 2 1/2 hour movie. TV shows can put more emphasis on the storyline and the characters themselves, as opposed to movies. That being said, you can certainly do a lot in a 2 hour movie, but it also depends on how the story for the TV show or Movie is constructed.

I also think that with a TV show, you really have to be engaged to enjoy it fully because it's a reoccurring storyline with characters that keep coming back. It's sort of like a long relationship. You start to know who these characters are and their story, and you know at some point it will come to an end, but you don't know exactly when or why. Some TV shows just get cancelled, so you never find out how it really ends, but others are able to carry until the very end because they became as popular and engaging to allow it. This is partially why I sometimes prefer movies to TV shows because with the latter, you have to devote a lot of your time to make it to the end, especially if you're catching up with a show that ended last year (i.e. Breaking Bad) That being said, if you love the series that much (as I do), that devotion of time seems less of a chore, and more of a journey.

These are simply my thoughts on the matter and how I interpret TV shows to movies.

EvilTw1n

TV's strong suit is definitely how it allows for character evolution through long-form story. But to me, it doesn't make great movies any less potent. For instance, when I went back and re-watched all of Sopranos, I realized that my memories of its long-form plotting was overly rosy. I used to think of it as the greatest piece of crime fiction I'd ever seen or read, but now I don't think it holds a candle to The Godfather. There is power in compactness, the same way that a 4-minute song can be as valid as four-movement symphony.

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
TV's strong suit is definitely how it allows for character evolution through long-form story. But to me, it doesn't make great movies any less potent. For instance, when I went back and re-watched all of Sopranos, I realized that my view of its long-form plotting was overly rosy. I used to think of it as the greatest piece of crime fiction I'd ever seen or read, but now I don't think it holds a candle to The Godfather. There is power in compactness, the same way that a 4-minute song can be as valid as four-movement symphony.
I've watched Godfather 1 & 2, but have not watched The Sopranos. Now I have listened to a whole symphony and many 4-minutes songs, and I think you're absolutely right about that. It doesn't have to be carried out for an extended period of time, and if it can get the point across in a few minutes, it can be just as impactful.

Mr-Chris

-Smashing!-
I enjoy movies but in nearly conversation where someone says "Have you seen ___?" It's almost always no. I need to watch looooads of movies for real.

My favourite comedy is probably Anchorman, I will say that!

^
I watched Pulp Fiction this past weekend. I had forgotten what a good piece of movie making that was.

Check out this thread; we discussed some similar territory.
http://nintendoenthusiast.com/forums/threads/making-a-giant-list-of-movies-i-need-to-see.441/

I've been on a big cinematography kick (same as that thread), so anything with Conrad Hall or Roger Deakins gets my nod of approval.

Is your av from Blue Is The Warmest Color, Riku? I've been meaning to watch that on Netflix.
Yeah it's from BITWC, was an amazing movie.

This is the current movie I'm obsessed with wanting to see and I'll do anything to see it this summer.
While everyone is hyped for dat transformers this is what gets me hyped. I think Richard Linklater is a genius and have looooved his films from the Before series. The way he captures time is beautiful in all his films. Just get chills watching the trailer.

Ex-Actarus

I have to go with the movie I've seen the most in theater, the Lord of the Rings.

I've seen it 9 times and I still watch at least 3 or 4 times each year.

Everything was perfect, the actors, the pace, the visuals, the script, the dialogues, the music, the photography.

I think that very few movies ( as games ) are perfect and the Lord of the Rings is maybe one of the 10 movies, I would qualify as perfect. The other would be Path of Glory, Ninja Scroll, Casablanca, Star Wars, the Godfather, Inception and or the Dark Knight.

The trailer still gives me goosebumps to this day

Actually, I might watch it this evening before the NBA games and the Money Mayweather fight:)

Ex-Actarus

TV's strong suit is definitely how it allows for character evolution through long-form story. But to me, it doesn't make great movies any less potent. For instance, when I went back and re-watched all of Sopranos, I realized that my memories of its long-form plotting was overly rosy. I used to think of it as the greatest piece of crime fiction I'd ever seen or read, but now I don't think it holds a candle to The Godfather. There is power in compactness, the same way that a 4-minute song can be as valid as four-movement symphony.
The Godfather has the best writing in cinema history imo.

The dialogue are absolutely amazing, something NOT A SINGLE TV show can even touch...

Sorry TV show lovers :)

Yeah it's from BITWC, was an amazing movie.
Pulp Fiction is one of the top 3 Tarentino kovie, but Django is the best, not even close.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
The Godfather has the best writing in cinema history imo.

The dialogue are absolutely amazing, something NOT A SINGLE TV show can even touch...

Sorry TV show lovers :)

Pulp Fiction is one of the top 3 Tarentino kovie, but Django is the best, not even close.
have you watched deadwood
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2004/05/talk_pretty.html
or the realism int he writing of the wire
or the nihilism of true detective "I see your soul in the corner of your eyes... its corrosive"
the snappy whimsical banter of Pushing daisies

I can't agree with you

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
have you watched deadwood
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2004/05/talk_pretty.html
or the realism int he writing of the wire
or the nihilism of true detective "I see your soul in the corner of your eyes... its corrosive"
the snappy whimsical banter of Pushing daisies

I can't agree with you
My God Deawood had the best "speeching" (I don't think that's a word but it applies) and conversations.......well and amazing acting I would have to very much agree with Mighty here. I would put it up there with the greatest movies.....and I dislike Westerns but I'm in love with Deadwood.

EvilTw1n

[The Wire is an achievement in art. But I still don't think of any great TV series lessening the power of great films. There is power in compactness - a novel doesn't need to be 800 pages to be good.]

I watched There Will Be Blood a few nights ago, and it reminded me of a debate I had with a friend when it first came out: when does Daniel Plainview become a villain? She thought he was from the moment the movie started. I thought it was when he sent his boy away. This is, in some way, the transition scene (you see his humanity, you see him struggling to conceal it; afterwards, he simply loses touch).

Ex-Actarus

@the_randomizer , I love Jurassic Park as well.
My ONLY issue with the movie is that... I wasn't able to see it in theater at the time and it still hurts me to this day ( I even missed the 3D one, but it would not have been the same ).

Jurassic Park is one of those perfect movies out there. I love the reveal of the dinosaurs so much ! You have the impression to be in a Disney movie and the movie turns into Jaws ! Amazing !

the_randomizer

@the_randomizer , I love Jurassic Park as well.
My ONLY issue with the movie is that... I wasn't able to see it in theater at the time and it still hurts me to this day ( I even missed the 3D one, but it would not have been the same ).

Jurassic Park is one of those perfect movies out there. I love the reveal of the dinosaurs so much ! You have the impression to be in a Disney movie and the movie turns into Jaws ! Amazing !
I remember seeing it in the theater 21 years ago, I thought I shat my pants when the raptor was, you know, jumping at that certain scene. :D And Tommy Boy along with Dumb and Dumber/Liar Liar are among some of my faves!

Ex-Actarus

@the_randomizer .
I'm not a huge fan of Jim Carrey movies ( except the Truman show ), but damned ! Dumb and Dumber was HILARIOUS ! I mean the type of movie you cry because it's too funny :)
I've never seen Liar Liar.

The funniest movie I've seen is Trading Places

the_randomizer

@the_randomizer .
I'm not a huge fan of Jim Carrey movies ( except the Truman show ), but damned ! Dumb and Dumber was HILARIOUS ! I mean the type of movie you cry because it's too funny :)
I've never seen Liar Liar.

The funniest movie I've seen is Trading Places
Liar Liar is arguably one of his best movies, after that, they kinda went downhill, and yes, the Farrelly Brothers are making an official sequel with both him and Jeff Daniels called Dumb and Dumber To, hopefully it'll be as good as Dumber and Dumber! This means it won't be nearly as stupid as the so-called prequel (which I never watched thank goodness).

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
My movie tastes are pretty eclectic. Some of my favorites: Clue, Fargo, The Before Trilogy (by Richard Linklater), anything by Quentin Tarantino, Death Becomes Her, Casablanca, The Princess Bride.

I love TVs and Film. With TV, I expect it to take me on an extended journey, and I truly believe we are in the Golden Age of Television right now. So much quality programming. With movies, I want the film to let me escape, touch my emotions, but most of all, I want to be entertained. A movie can be considered awful, but as long as I was entertained, most likely I'll say I liked it. Too many things are criticized too harshly, video games and movies being perfect examples. In the end, if you were entertained and had a good time, isn't that most important?

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
My movie tastes are pretty eclectic. Some of my favorites: Clue, Fargo, The Before Trilogy (by Richard Linklater), anything by Quentin Tarantino, Death Becomes Her, Casablanca, The Princess Bride.

I love TVs and Film. With TV, I expect it to take me on an extended journey, and I truly believe we are in the Golden Age of Television right now. So much quality programming. With movies, I want the film to let me escape, touch my emotions, but most of all, I want to be entertained. A movie can be considered awful, but as long as I was entertained, most likely I'll say I liked it. Too many things are criticized too harshly, video games and movies being perfect examples. In the end, if you were entertained and had a good time, isn't that most important?

Ex-Actarus

Casablanca is in my top 10 movies of all time !
That music...

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
My favorite movie, as it says on my profile, is...

I recently watched the extended version of The Wolf Man(2010) and Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992). I dug the remake's modern take on the original 1941 film's werewolf makeup and I liked the costumes, special effects, and lighting of Francis Ford Coppola's film.

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I just got done watching Blade and i have to say i love everything about it. Blade: The Vampire Hunter is the role Wesley Snipes was born to play and Stephen Dorff killed it as Deacon Frost. This is one vampire movie that you should not hesitate to watch.