Final Fantasy XV Super Thread....

Almost everyone at Nintendo Enthusiast is in love with X (my most hyped game ever) but I dont seem to see anyone going gaga over this game.

It looks absolutely incredible the setting the gameplay and graphics are absolutely incredible.

The production values are off the charts and it just feels so good I will get to play this off the wall action combat in real time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody was too busy being sexually frustrated to care. :>
I for one am hyped as hell for this game an KH3. I only pray they go to either Wii U or PC because I don't feel like spending another $399 just yet (but I will if I have to).

Ouch, I hate square enix just as much as the next guy from the last 7 years of disappointment but these trailers have the goods and my eye balls visually see this is a good game. The gameplay is absolutely delicious and isnt that what we care about here?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I think it looks amazing, and if FFXV doesn't come to PCs, I'll just have to get a PS4 to play it.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I watched both trailers in 1080p, being honest X looks a lot better. The animation is off and the game could look better for one thats in development for 8 years but the mechanics look fun. Its just... reminding me of The Last Story a lot

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I need to know more about the gameplay, specifically how much of it is automated. If it's low automation, then I am fucking sold.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I have to see more gameplay footage and hear some impressions of the game. Just pretty visuals aren't going to do it for me, especially since Final Fantasy titles don't seem to be quality titles anymore

These trailers already show just as much gameplay footage as we have ever seen of X maybe more. Man you guys are tough crowds sometimes =( I know if this was on Wii U people would be going crazy.

Cubits

These trailers already show just as much gameplay footage as we have ever seen of X maybe more. Man you guys are tough crowds sometimes =( I know if this was on Wii U people would be going crazy.
Well yes, but look at how the last Xeno game played, and look at how the last FF game played. People can only go on that until we see more from either game.

The reason I'm not excited has nothing to do with the trailers but the fact that I didn't like Final Fantasy X or XIII. X has a developer who has been delivering greatness recently so the excitement for their game is higher.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I watched both trailers in 1080p, being honest X looks a lot better. The animation is off and the game could look better for one thats in development for 8 years but the mechanics look fun. Its just... reminding me of The Last Story a lot
It also looks a lot like Final Fantasy: Crystal Bearers. I think that team may have something to do with FFXV.
Anyway, I really loved the Last Story and liked Crystal Bearers ("Crystal Bearer!") a lot, so I'm set for this.

The reason I'm not excited has nothing to do with the trailers but the fact that I didn't like Final Fantasy X or XIII. X has a developer who has been delivering greatness recently so the excitement for their game is higher.
I simply cannot understand this no matter how much I try. Because this game is not X or XIII its made by its own separate team that has never touched those games. This is not the past this is the present and today this game looks good right now. Oh well, at least we are both anticipating X.

I simply cannot understand this no matter how much I try. Because this game is not X or XIII its made by its own separate team that has never touched those games. This is not the past this is the present and today this game looks good right now. Oh well, at least we are both anticipating X.

Final Fantasy games have been disappointing for me since X. I need to see more than a trailer to be excited for a series that has been disappointing for me several times. How can you not understand that past disappointments affect future anticipation?
And it's not exactly a whole new team. It's being made by Square Enix and the team is made up of many of the same people who worked on past Final Fantasy games. It looks interesting and I'll be following it but I'm not excited.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

Final Fantasy games have been disappointing for me since X. I need to see more than a trailer to be excited for a series that has been disappointing for me several times. How can you not understand that past disappointments affect future anticipation?
And it's not exactly a whole new team. It's being made by Square Enix and the team is made up of many of the same people who worked on past Final Fantasy games. It looks interesting and I'll be following it but I'm not excited.
I agree that past Final Fantasy games are bound to leave a sour taste that makes you wary of future ones; At the same time, Square Enix is composed of many different teams that work considerably independently from one another, and this has shown many times in the past. Even as the Final Fantasy series diminised in qualitym other Square Enix teams continued to make great games like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Final Fantasy Tactics. With Tetsuya Nomura, we can't really know what to expect because his latest projects have been on hiatus for so long while spinoffs for Kingdom Hearts get made, but the fact that both Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 were very successful and critically acclaimed should speak in his favor.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

The quality of FF has been in question since 8 ( even though I liked it more than a lot of people) ff 9 is highly debatable as well. But they've all been just overall eh since X-2

I agree that past Final Fantasy games are bound to leave a sour taste that makes you wary of future ones; At the same time, Square Enix is composed of many different teams that work considerably independently from one another, and this has shown many times in the past. Even as the Final Fantasy series diminised in qualitym other Square Enix teams continued to make great games like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Final Fantasy Tactics. With Tetsuya Nomura, we can't really know what to expect because his latest projects have been on hiatus for so long while spinoffs for Kingdom Hearts get made, but the fact that both Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2 were very successful and critically acclaimed should speak in his favor.
It's not like I've written Final Fantasy XV off as a bad game and decided that I'm not going to buy it. I think it looks promising and I hope it will be a great game but until I play a Final Fantasy game and enjoy it I can't get excited for one when it's announced like I did with the previous announcements. I really like Final Fantasy Tactics and though Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles was OK. I never got into Kindom Hearts so I don't know how good that is although I know people love it.

The quality of FF has been in question since 8 ( even though I liked it more than a lot of people) ff 9 is highly debatable as well. But they've all been just overall eh since X-2

I liked Final Fantasy IX a lot.

I'm hyped, but I'm not talking about it everywhere. I guess... I have multiple emotions about it. The reason I got a PS3 was for Final Fantasy Vs XIII, but I'm not really as bitter about that as I should be, I've had great experiences with mine even though I don't really play it. The whole thing that... Well... there's 3 things that has this derailing some hype from me:
1) This game was suppose to come out soooo long ago, it's hard for me to take any sign of progress or date seriously. That also in turn has me not as excited because I feel like we've seen most of these characters and setting already, don't get me wrong, there's plenty of new stuff in those trailers, but it's kind of a "Watch Dogs" effect: Excited for it, no longer yelling at the top of my lungs for it. Honestly though, I think a lot of my hype for this game is just the fact that it's still coming and hasn't been cancelled.
2) In comparison to X, I feel like I don't have a reason to be excited yet. To me, the way it looks now is like a cross between FFXII ideas (in which I mean 2 AI controlled allies), Kingdom Hearts, and Ninja Gaiden... and I guess, probably because of the popularity of action games this gen, it feels more like a graduation than innovation. It just doesn't feel like I'm getting an exciting new experience, now if they showed that it was drop-in drop-out online co-op for those party members, I would have got a lot more excited! It's not like that is original either, but for whatever reason, the idea of playing a mainline final fantasy adventure with your friends, that doesn't rely on them playing with you, but gives them just as good an experience if they do, is exciting to me.
3)I still don't have a good grasp on what the gameplay is like or will be like. All of the natural animations in combat is great, but some of them, especially the more cinematic ones with dynamic camera angles, I can't tell if they are cut scene attacks (or just cut scenes), or QTE's, or just how the attacking AI works (or done in a cinematic way through button press combos). Right now, it's looking like a simplified version of FF0 (because of the like of a HUD with how advanced the actions are just makes me think it's all simplified, or rather mostly done automatically, and has some sort of simple AI to determine how to attack when the attack button is pressed), which the word "simplified" often lessens my excitement in games. I just really wonder what the controls will be like, because I feel like game play wise, final fantasy is known for it's complicated magic systems, with many different status effects that can be cast on you or dispelled among others. The regular attacks were always really simple. So what I really want to know about is how the magic works, get a real good grasp on the gameplay and control before I get too excited. (That said, the magic system is really what excites me the most about VS because it does look like it's not trying to be KH with the magic, and has a complex system.... I just don't know how it works yet! That said, I can imagine it working really well with a touch screen, so much that I hope it can be used with a Vita although I doubt it will)
I don't know, after saying all this I probably sound like I'm not excited at all or barely excited; no, I'm extremely excited!! ...I just don't have much to talk about it, nor do I want to get my hopes up incase it doesn't come out until 2016 or something. Edit) I forgot to say I'm also slightly disappointed that FFXV isn't that rumored open world evolution of FFXII that was spoken of. I was really looking forwards to that, but in my mind, that project just got pushed up a number so it didn't upset me much.

I forgot to say I'm also slightly disappointed that FFXV isn't that rumored open world evolution of FFXII that was spoken of. I was really looking forwards to that, but in my mind, that project just got pushed up a number so it didn't upset me much.

The rumors were about Final Fantasy XV. The battle system bit looks like it could be true, do we know if it's open world or not? If the rumors aren't true of Final Fantasy XV then they are more likely false then being saved for another game. Unless you're referring to something else of course. *-*

Ex-Actarus

I thought that Final Fantasy X and XII were pretty well received among fans, no ?

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
They were well received but they're not as high quality as previous Final Fantasy titles. Not to mention, Final Fantasy XIII and it's two sequels have left a bad taste in everyone's mouth

Ex-Actarus

Man what a turnaround for Final fantasy XV...
The E3 2013 presentation was poor and underwelming imo.
But man, I founf the trailer of the TGS 2014 absolutely stunning !

Now there is a 10 minutes new gameplay footage, showing a absolutely gigantic world ( à la Xenoblade ) with gorgeous graphics. And that music !!!

I'm so excited for this game ! I've never been a FF guy. The only Final Fantasy game I like was Final Fantasy VIII. And XV reminds me of the excitement I had for VIII back then.

The music, the characters, the animation, the scale, the graphics, the art style, the car... I love everything about this game so far. Definitely in my top 5 most anticipated games of 2015 ( with Zelda U, Halo 5, XCX and Splatoon ).

Odo

The art style of this game sometimes looks like a Japanese sci-fi film about a J-Pop band having a road trip on an post-apocalyptic USA.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Who can realistically be excited for a game that wont be out till 2016 and still looks like its in Beta in the technical proficiency department?

Lol. Not to mention it was almost a musical and Square enix list of woes with engines just continues with luminous after the 5 or 6 others they've tossed to the curb.

They gotta get KH3 ready techwise with Unreal 4 afterall

GaemzDood

I'll wait until they get that shit to 1080p. Horizon: Zero Dawn is impressing me more right now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thekiller7

The Seven and Only
Not yet.
I thought the demo was a poor man's Xenoblade. It's ok and all but needs a lot of work. But the most recent videos have gotten better, but I'm not completely sold on this game yet.
Plus I'm old school and prefer turn based combat, but that's a dying breed of games.
We shall see.... Isn't March a big reveal coming and release date?

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
I'm no FF hater. I love the series... but I haven't seen anything impressive other than the Ramuh summon raping everything on screen:

It looks terribly generic to me. But from what I have seen, nothing that kills my interest of the game for me. I'm just not excited to play it is all. And honestly, not sure if I want to sign up for 60+hours of generic. I want my RPGs to be amazing. Lord knows there is a lot coming out competing with it. I'll probably pick it up this year on Black Friday for around $25 and I may or may not ever get to it. We'll see what everyone thinks of the finished product.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Wow. An oldie has been resummoned.

I'm no FF hater. I love the series... but I haven't seen anything impressive other than the Ramuh summon raping everything on screen:

It looks terribly generic to me. But from what I have seen, nothing that kills my interest of the game for me. I'm just not excited to play it is all. And honestly, not sure if I want to sign up for 60+hours of generic. I want my RPGs to be amazing. Lord knows there is a lot coming out competing with it. I'll probably pick it up this year on Black Friday for around $25 and I may or may not ever get to it. We'll see what everyone thinks of the finished product.
I have to admit, after watching that video, that summon looked pretty fucking awesome. I'm not sure if I'll pick up FFXV or not. Final Fantasy for me has always been hit or miss; in other words, there are times when I might feel forced to play them just because of the franchise they belong to.

I didn't get my start into FF until I played FFX, and then followed by FFX-2 back on PS2. Since then, I've purchased the remasters, played the very first Final Fantasy, and I also have FFII, and I think it was III or IV I also have, all of those mentioned on GBA. I also have FFXII, but never finished.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
final fantasy isn't final fantasy anymore... I loved final fantasy, but the current franchise is like a hideous ghoul draped in the bloody skinsuit remains of the REAL final fantasy, which has long been dead.

final fantasy 7 was the first step to ruination, 8 was the kill shot, and 9 was the death rattle, the last dying breath of the old franchise

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
final fantasy isn't final fantasy anymore... I loved final fantasy, but the current franchise is like a hideous ghoul draped in the bloody skinsuit remains of the REAL final fantasy, which has long been dead.

final fantasy 7 was the first step to ruination, 8 was the kill shot, and 9 was the death rattle, the last dying breath of the old franchise
Not sure why people always say this. Care to explain please? FF8&9 are more true to the franchise than 7 was, so they couldn't be the final "nails in the coffin." The franchise doesn't need to be forced as a top-down sprite based game. Take Metroid for example.--The Prime series didn't kill it just because it was turned into a 3D adventure series.

theMightyME

8 is drastically different than classic ff.. ff9 IS classic ff.. which is why i said that 9 was the death rattle.. the last gasp of life in the franchise... it went super true to the original as a way for square to say "there, we gave you real ff, now its dead!" I marked 7 as being the start of the decline.. I hate 7

best ff is 6, then 4, then 9

theMightyME

Not sure why people always say this. Care to explain please? FF8&9 are more true to the franchise than 7 was, so they couldn't be the final "nails in the coffin." The franchise doesn't need to be forced as a top-down sprite based game. Take Metroid for example.--The Prime series didn't kill it just because it was turned into a 3D adventure series.
prime isn't metroid.. prime is metroid prime... it is a different franchise that is also very good.. but for different reeasons... prime nailed the atmosphere of metroid, but gameplay wise it was closer to zelda...

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
prime isn't metroid.. prime is metroid prime... it is a different franchise that is also very good.. but for different reeasons... prime nailed the atmosphere of metroid, but gameplay wise it was closer to zelda...
I'm sorry. but with all due respect... you just named "Metroid" and then "Metroid Prime" by title, and then said that is how they are different.--They have different names.

Both are shooting-centric action/adventure games with platforming elements. Both are classic "metroidvania" games with emphasis on exploration and backtracking. Item upgrades and progression are present in both. Navigation, puzzle solving, ect, ect... all present in both. the only difference between the two is one is in 3D and one is in 2D, lol. That's what it sounds like you are saying... that they are completely different just because the perspective has changed.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm sorry. but with all due respect... you just named "Metroid" and then "Metroid Prime" by title, and then said that is how they are different.--They have different names.

Both are shooting-centric action/adventure games with platforming elements. Both are classic "metroidvania" games with emphasis on exploration and backtracking. Item upgrades and progression are present in both. Navigation, puzzle solving, ect, ect... all present in both. the only difference between the two is one is in 3D and one is in 2D, lol. That's what it sounds like you are saying... that they are completely different just because the perspective has changed.
I also don't like hearing about how one or the other Metroid games "aren't really Metroid", because I think every Metroid game is very unique and different from the rest. You could almost say that the only thing that ties the franchise together is that fans will say, about any game in the franchise, "it's a good game, but not a good Metroid game". But for that same reason, I think it's worth stressing how different Super is from Prime. Prime didn't just do what Super did but in 3D; it also replaced the quick, responsive platforming for slower-paced exploration. Even though they're both fantastic games, you can't deny that there is absolutely nothing in Prime that gives you the feeling of space jumping all over Maridia and Ridley's Lair. And at the same time, there is nothing in Super that feels like exploring Phendrana Drifts for the first time, looking around for every small platform and crevice to make your way forward.

theMightyME

no... 2d metroids also feature MUCH faster character movement, harder platforming elements, and the puzzle thign is flat out wrong... that is prime specific, which is why prime is more like zelda in gameplay...

there is also the source to contend with... prime has NOTHING to do with anybody involved in any of the other metroid games... even the japanese side of development for prime (the supervisors) had nothing to do with metroid before prime

they are both good games.. but 1 is metroid, and the other is metroid prime... kind of like their is final fantasy, and then there is final fantasy: crystal chronicles

thekiller7

The Seven and Only
DISAGREE! DISAGREE!!!
FFVII was Just as Final Fantasy as the others.

Everyone hates VII. It's the cool thing to hate it, cause it was so loved back in the day. Everyone sucked it's balls back then and it was cool to hate VIII cause it was drastically different.
Tables have turned now.
Real Final Fantasy to me is having a huge open world map to explore with a unique battle and level up system.
Not these tunnel adventures we got from the XIII games.
I'll say it again... XV looks like a poor man's Xenoblade.
But I'm old school. I prefer a pure JRPG experience with turn based battle systems.

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
I'm out while my claws are still sheathed.

While I don't agree FF7 is "more" or "just as much" FF as the previous games (or even the subsequent sequels)... I still wouldn't go as far as to say the games are too far removed from the NES and SNES entries. and that goes double for Metroid.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I feel like the series belongs to Nomura as much as any of the early creators of the series....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Nomura

https://twitter.com/crazynomura

For better or worse, he has been at the helm of FF for longer than any other at this point and time.... That says a lot....

His games have sold more than any others in the series....

Not only that, but Nomura's FF games are the top 6 best selling Square Enix games of all time.... Including the 8-16 bit FF titles....

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_Square-Enix_games

1. Final Fantasy VII (10 million, includes Final Fantasy VII International)
  2. Final Fantasy X (8.05 million - up to much more)
  3. Final Fantasy VIII (6 million - 8.15 milion till march 2003)
  4. Final Fantasy XIII (6.71 million, Includes ps3&360 versions)
  5. Final Fantasy XII (5.6 million approximately: 2.4 million in Japan, 1.7 million in US, 1.1 million in Europe; 5.2 million shipped)
  6. Final Fantasy X-2 (5.30 million: 2.11 million units in Japan, 1.92 million units in the United States, 1.08 million units in Europe and more than 100,000 units in the United Kingdom and 0.17m shipped worldwide)
No matter what your taste in terms of what you like in your FF game, you have to respect that Nomura has been carrying the torch for sometime now, and doing a pretty decent job of it....

He had to hand the reigns over to Hajime Tabata to work on Kingdom Hearts III, but the bulk of FFXV is Nomura....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hajime_Tabata

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XV

"It was originally directed by Tetsuya Nomura, who also designed characters and conceived the concept and base story. In 2014, co-director Hajime Tabata took Nomura's place as director, while Nomura moved on to finish work on Kingdom Hearts III."

The action focus is because FFXV's gameplay ideas started as the famous PS3 game FFXIII Versus, which when shown at the time, seemed to have a more action focused gameplay theme....

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII

Nomura's gradual shift from turn based, to real time combat is no surprise as one of his and his teams biggest successes is the Kingdom Hearts series, another action heavy RPG....

Meanwhile, Hajime Tabata went on to helm FF Type O on the PSP in Japan....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Type-0

Which recently got an HD update....

And of corse all of this action awesomeness stems from Tabata's PS portable gem, FFVII: Crisis Core, which much like all these new FF games, had a heavy action focus that mixed FF themes with a more Kingdom Hearts style realtime gameplay, and told an awesome side story to FFVII to boot....

I highly recommend Crisis Core to anyone with access to play it....

Hajime Tabata is actually a huge key to why the franchise is where it is at now from a gameplay perspective....

And what games inspire him...?

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/12...e-witcher-3-is-his-game-of-the-year-for-2015/

Witcher 3....

Curiously enough he also brings up Nintendo here ^^^^....

Which there have been rumors leading to NX possibly having a port of FFXV or FFVII, or even possibly a new game entirely....

If that happens I expect Nintendo fans to get onboard the FF hype train.... And herald in the return of FF to Nintendo consoles in all their next gen glory....

Personally I'm excited as a mug to be able to get the chance to play FFXV.... And I'm actually glad to see it going in a more realtime, interactive, action driven direction....

The FFVII remake and this are most likey going to be two of the biggest highlights of owning my PS4....

Last edited:

Odo

I usually don't like anything related to FF and I played none of the PS FFs, so my opinions don't count much, but what I can say is that this new FF looks boring and generic. XCX wins easily in my opinion considering only what I see from videos.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/03/2...main-story-length-frame-rate-airship-cactuar/

"Final Fantasy XV Director On Main Story Length, Frame Rate, Airship, Cactuar, And More"

"Final Fantasy XV director Hajime Tabata had a few words to share on the current development of the game during a NicoNico Livestream by Famitsu. Here are some key highlights from the event. [Thanks, Game Jouhou.]

• Cactuars will make an appearance. They’re powerful opponents that will be able to dodge Shift Breaks.

• Square Enix will have plenty of surprises for their event on March 31st, and to expect a trailer in Japanese as well.

• The father of Final Fantasy in Hironobu Sakaguchi called out Tabata saying “Let me tell you my impression on the Final Fantasy XV demo.” While Tabata can’t say what they talked about, he mentions with a laugh that Sakaguchi had a whole lot to say.

• A playable tech demo will be properly shown at the event.

• As for the play time, at first Square Enix estimated that it would take about 40 hours to clear the main scenario, but this has since then been bumped up to 50 hours. They’re currently not at the final stages of balancing out the game, but making optimal balances. They say that the game has more volume than they thought it would.

• As for the Airship, it has been decided from long ago on how they would introduce it into the game. It’s something that would have you say “this is the kind of Airship that should be in Final Fantasy XV.”

• Maintaining a frame rate of 30fps is their objective. This has not been completely optimized as of yet, as there are times where it breaks 30. They will continue making adjustments until the last minute before the game goes gold. If they’re unable to fixate on the 30fps, they will do something different.

• As for the game’s resolution, it’ll be revealed at the release event on March 31st.

• As for a PS4 bundle version, Square Enix is working on making it happen.

Final Fantasy XV is in development for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One."

Square is set to release more details, including release dates and much more on March 31st....

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articl...youll-be-able-to-experience-final-fantas.html

Four Ways You'll be Able to Experience Final Fantasy XV's World

"The Gold Ballroom of the Millennium Biltmore Hotel in Los Angeles is a perfect place for a Final Fantasy press conference. With its Old Hollywood opulence it looks like a room an evil despot from one of the games would hang out in. It’s got the chandeliers, the ornate molding, the gold-tinted details—the works. It’s where the angry old emperor reveals its true evil space dragon form before the final battle. (It’s also what Donald Trump’s White House will probably look like.)

It’s also where Square-Enix held a short press briefing to go over in advance some of the notes from tonight’s big Final Fantasy XV event. It’s where we learned about all the spin-off media coming alongside the game, and where we first got to play Platinum Demo, the tiny taste of Final Fantasy XV arriving for free on Xbox Live and the Playstation Network tonight. It’s also where we got to speak with the game’s director, Hajime Tabata, and the director of the spin-off film, Takeshi Nozue. Basically it’s where Square-Enix first revealed their ambitious multimedia plans for the latest core Final Fantasy game, plans that we’ll quickly break down for you here right now.

Here’s what to expect from this latest Final Fantasy go-round:

1. Final Fantasy XV

Uh, yeah. Obviously this is the big one, the game whose roots stretch back a decade to the original concept for Final Fantasy Versus XIII. Some of the most basic ideas from Versus XIII remain in place, but director Tabata confirmed that development essentially restarted from scratch when his team took over and transitioned the game into Final Fantasy XV. Their policy was to keep the general aesthetic and character designs that had been revealed in the Final Fantasy Versus XIIItrailers, but overhaul the way it played and the direction of the story, resulting in a game that’s no longer as closely tied to the Fabula Nova Crystallis concept as Versus XIII would have been. The narrative heart of XV will be your player character Noctis’s connection to his friends, tight bros from way back who head out on a road trip in a sporty little roadster. The new trailer shown at the event once again emphasized the camaraderie of the road, with multiple shots of them camping, fixing their car, eating (and playing pinball) at roadside diners, and generally just being dudes in love with the highway when it’s late at night. If the game made you bust out your Rock Band instruments to play a show after every extended diving segment, it would fit perfectly: they look like a band, act like a band, and travel like a band, only instead of sick solos they rip warp strikes and magic blasts on dark creatures from beyond the veil.

2. Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV

Premiering alongside the game, this five-episode anime series will focus even closer on the unbreakable bonds between Noctis and his buds. Produced by A-1 Pictures, the studio behind theSword Art Online and Black Butler anime series, Brotherhood will be distributed for free, although it’s not clear exactly how it’ll be viewable yet. The clip we saw reaffirmed the basic archetypes of the core foursome: Noctis is the reluctant hero, glasses guy is the haughty smarty pants who gesticulates while making special business happen, Prompto with the blond pompadour is the comic relief, and the beefy brother with the vest is the resident badass. Tabata explained that the multimedia approach was designed intentionally to attract a new generation of players who maybe aren’t familiar with Final Fantasy and who now experience entertainment in a variety of formats and through distribution channels that didn’t exist until the last few years. The anime is a crucial part of that project, as it’ll speak to an audience that would clearly already be predisposed to enjoy a game that traditionally has a heavy anime influence, but maybe aren’t used to playing games on consoles. If you get them hooked on the characters and relationships through a medium they do love, perhaps they’ll slide right over into the game.

3. Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV

Directed by Takeshis Nozue, this is a gorgeous CGI feature length film in the vein of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, although it’s fully set within the world of XV. In fact it fills in part of the game’s story, focusing on what happens to Noctis’s dad and home country while Noctis is out on his road trip. Created with the same CGI tools as the game, it has that almost photorealistic look often found in Final Fantasy cut-scenes. It definitely seems to target a mainstream western audience more than Brotherhood, with less of a traditional anime aesthetic, and a main character who totally has a Liam Neeson thing going on with his face.

4. Platinum Demo

This short, playable taste of XV should be available for download now for both the Xbox One and Playstation 4, so I don’t know why you need to read about it. You can just go play it yourself. If you don’t want to be surprised, or don’t want to waste the hard drive space, here’s a quick overview: young Noctis flits through a psychedelic dreamscape under the guidance of a mystical white fox-like creature with a single purple horn coming out of its forehead. You’ll collect some crystals, learn how to use a few different melee and ranged weapons, transform into various cars and at least one horned giraffe monster, and also get shrunken down to action figure size while exploring a sparsely decorated dining room. (Yes, there’s a heavy Alice in Wonderland vibe to this entire demo.) Eventually you’ll get to play very briefly as the grown-up Noctis from XV, fighting with a deadly monster that looks like an oversized knight made out of smoke. Although none of the specific scenarios from the demo will be in the game itself, It’s a short tease of the real-time combat to come in XV, as you can hold down one button to continually attack with your sword or hammer, hold down another to block, and also toss bombs when you have ‘em in stock. The most interesting note from the combat is the introduction of warp points, spots in the architecture that Noctis can rush to and hang from with his sword, before lashing out with a special warp strike attack that does a decent amount of damage. The final battle in the demo can be pretty tough the first time you play it, although your fox friend is around to keep you from dying. You can probably speed through the whole demo in 15 minutes if you don’t care about exploring or collecting; I scrounged up every crystal I could find, and fought the boss twice, and wrapped it up in just about 40 minutes.

There’s more to come on the Final Fantasy XV front this week. I’ll be updating this piece with the official release date, art assets and other information from tonight’s event later in the evening, and will have an interview with the game’s director Hajime Tabata early next week. These are truly heady days for the dedicated Final Fantasy fan."

More details to come....