Fire Emblem Fates

Koenig

The Architect
The chapter based, no return structure of the Gamecube and Wii are honestly my favorite versions in terms of progression. A mix of alternate paths would be nice, but a one direction campaign puts a greater emphasis on character management and focus'es the story.

Odo

It seems to me that FE Fates is cheaper than Awakening

FEA - US$40
FEA DLC - US$53
--------------
Total: US$93
Chapters: 76
Price per Chapter: US$1,22

FEFB - US$40
FEFC - US$20
FEFR - US$20
FEF DLC - US$18
------------------
Total: US$98
Chapters: 110
Price per Chapter: US$0,89

Playing through Birthright, getting to know all the characters...it's gonna be rough going to Conquest and having to fight them all and maybe kill some of them.

The main story is "okay", but I'm digging the whole two families thing, I think that's the best part of the story itself.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Steve2 is doing Conquest first, then Birthright second.

I won't spoil how Conquest starts. (Tried to come up with anything to say that wasn't spoilerish, and couldn't)

Steve2 is doing Conquest first, then Birthright second.

I won't spoil how Conquest starts. (Tried to come up with anything to say that wasn't spoilerish, and couldn't)
How are the supports?

I know some characters are in all versions of the game, but I'm wondering if the support conversations are the same between all versions as well. Or if, for example, Corrin and Felicia are different in all three versions.

Perhaps if Steve2 has a support unlocked in Conquest, you could spoiler it or pm? I'm super curious but can't find any concrete info.

Koenig

The Architect
Not exactly related, but I am beginning to wonder how a 3D evolution of Fire Emblem would play out, something akin to but far more refined than Intelligent Systems work with Codename STEAM.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Not exactly related, but I am beginning to wonder how a 3D evolution of Fire Emblem would play out, something akin to but far more refined than Intelligent Systems work with Codename STEAM.
I'm wondering whether Valkyria Chronicles isn't already that game you're asking for*. I haven't played it, so I'll have to ask @repomech to answer instead.

*The Valkyria Chronicles sequels also are more moe and have more waifus.

So I finally stumbled upon an answer I had about Supports in the different games. I'll spoiler it out to be safe as usual

Apparently, support conversations are the same throughout all versions except Corrin and Azura. This makes me happy since Conquest has no grinding maps. I'll still do what I want in Birthright, but it's nice to know Revelation lets you see it all. In that case, I won't sweat over Conquest too much then. Looking forward to getting trampled by that game.

Thanks @sjmartin79 for the pm as well

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
You can grind supports in Conquest using the free DLC map with Chrom, Lissa, and Frederick. Start skips dialogue and you gain about half to two thirds of a support level per run. Due to the nature of the DLC, however, you units don't gain anything like XP or weapon skill XP.

praisegrima

Casual mode and the current art style is why I play fire emblem now. Haters gonna hate but I love awakening and fire emblem fates. Bought conquest on the eshop and was getting so invested in the Hoshidians that I purchased birthright at the decision screen! To think there is more to play with Revelation!

You can grind supports in Conquest using the free DLC map with Chrom, Lissa, and Frederick. Start skips dialogue and you gain about half to two thirds of a support level per run. Due to the nature of the DLC, however, you units don't gain anything like XP or weapon skill XP.

praisegrima
Really? Im pretty sure I ranked up and leveled up my swords daggers and whatever doing that free DLC map.

Just finished Birthright. I really liked it a lot, but the story is kinda meh at some points. To me, the best parts are about the two families. The story really picks up in the last few chapters.

I don't really like Azura at all, not exactly sure why but she bugs me a lot.

I'm gonna take a little break before diving into Conquest.

edit: I said it before, but damn, I'm not looking forward to letting all the Birthright people down. Hopefully I don't have to fight/kill Kaden, he's my bro

Last edited:
So, yeah, I didn't take much of a break, I started up Conquest today. About to start Chapter 10 (I started at the split).

I just love this stuff. I managed to finish all the levels without anyone dying after a few tries. I'm still playing Casual, but since XP is limited, I restart if I had a few characters die. Looking forward to the rest of it.

I just finished up Conquest as well.

The story was a lot more interesting but also I was frustrated the entire time. Probably because I played Birthright first and you have to fight most of the characters I grew to like, but also because....never mind I won't say it.

I will say though, I don't know if it's because of my flu or being on edge, but I was fighting back tears the entire last mission. Once the credits started rolling, I had tears down my face. Fucking video games.

The missions were also much more interesting. Not all of them are "route the enemies". I liked the variety of defending, escaping, finding a traitor among the army, etc. Even the maps themselves had more to them, like pots of poison and medicine, or winds the push you around. Not all of the stage mechanics were great imo, but they always kept me on my toes and offered a bit of tension.

Overall, I do think Conquest is the better game, but I just found the whole thing fucking heartbreaking.

I managed to get a special edition so I can play Revelation....but this time I will take a break.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

Treehouse makes this awful hard. Guess I'll have to marry Shin Chan at some point.
Honestly, I think Treehouse did an excellent job of conveying just how awful the writing is. It takes a lot of skill to write something that is equally bad as the source material. They could have copped out and done the lazy thing, which is to effortlessly improve the quality of the writing; Instead, they put in the effort to make sure the localization was just as atrocious as the source material. I commend them for that.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I gotta admit, I kinda like the USA of Effie a little bit more. (that she's basically anime!me has nothing to do with that, I swears)

praisegrima

Honestly, I think Treehouse did an excellent job of conveying just how awful the writing is. It takes a lot of skill to write something that is equally bad as the source material. They could have copped out and done the lazy thing, which is to effortlessly improve the quality of the writing; Instead, they put in the effort to make sure the localization was just as atrocious as the source material. I commend them for that.
Did you play the game yet?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Did you play the game yet?
No, I'm just talking shit.

But I really dislike bad anime writing. Definitely when it comes to relationships, anime and videogame writers in Japan write their characters like they're 12 years old. "S-senpai, I-I can touch you too. It's not like I like you or anything!" Gross.

No, I'm just talking shit.

But I really dislike bad anime writing. Definitely when it comes to relationships, anime and videogame writers in Japan write their characters like they're 12 years old. "S-senpai, I-I can touch you too. It's not like I like you or anything!" Gross.
Just to be clear me asking you that wasn't suppose to be snarky or anything.

I can see where you're coming from. I did a nice few supports in Birthright (not as much in Conquest) and they vary a lot. I get quite a kick out of them, and the whole "s-senpai" stuff is for a few characters when you S rank them.

Some of the supports are actually quite good in terms of writing and character development in my opinion.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Just to be clear me asking you that wasn't suppose to be snarky or anything.

I can see where you're coming from. I did a nice few supports in Birthright (not as much in Conquest) and they vary a lot. I get quite a kick out of them, and the whole "s-senpai" stuff is for a few characters when you S rank them.

Some of the supports are actually quite good in terms of writing and character development in my opinion.
I do want to play it just for the fact that it's supposed to be Fire Emblem refined to sheer excellence in terms of its gameplay. I won't buy it right now, as I have to little money and too many games to play already, but I'll pick it up later for sure. Maybe when Nintendo gives us a discount on MyNintendo or whatever.

ONLY 69.99!

I'm a hypocrite, because I'll be spending around $70 on Dark Souls 3 + Season Pass

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I'm wondering whether Valkyria Chronicles isn't already that game you're asking for*. I haven't played it, so I'll have to ask @repomech to answer instead.

*The Valkyria Chronicles sequels also are more moe and have more waifus.
Valkyria Chronicles is definitely a better realization of what Codename STEAM was aspiring to be (full disclosure I don't have any experience with Codename STEAM outside of the demo, reviews and what was shown to the public - so if it magically became some sort of game that is worth recommending over, or even in the same breath as, Valkyria Chronicles or X-Com, I am: a) ignorant of that development; b) genuinely surprised). That said, if you're looking for a 3D development of Fire Emblem, as in containing the features of new Fire Emblems since Awakening, or containing melee weapons and magic - it's not that. But you do build up a swappable team roster and barracks, and it is a 3D turn based tactics game, sans grid. It's really excellent, one of the games I got a PS3 for, and you can now buy it for PC via Steam.

I didn't play the second VC, so I can't speak to that beyond what my brother told me, which was that it's like the first, only the art-style takes a hit on the PSP, and it overstays its welcome feeling too repetitive - it's apparently longer than the first game.