FORUM WANTS AND BUGS FOR MENASHE

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ok TNE here is the skinny. I got to talk to Menashe this morning. With the front side, and the backside both going thru re-design I hope y'all can understand how much work that would intel.

So he is taking a little vacation today was the first day in 4 days I have been able to catch him.

So I was asked to make a thread so he didn't have to sift thru multiple threads on what the needs and wants of the community are and he can find and fix them all from one place.

So far the ones I have wrote down are.

Color of the forum
Icon size
Dislike button
More smileys
Fixed widths
Unlimited editing time for users

I know that @Mike D. found a glitch that will be posted here. Anything you guys can think of other than these please post them here cause when @Menashe gets back he's gonna start working back here again.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Quick! Let's all go and play hide and seek, and when Menashe gets back, he won't find us! :p

But in all seriousness, you've got a good gist of what the forum needs improving on. Was the Chat going to still be added to the forums as well? I thought that was also in the plan once all the bugs get worked out.

Koenig

The Architect
Some of the navigation tabs have been freezing ("What's new" and others on that shelf) Forcing me to reload the page before they work again. I am using Google Chrome.

Tucker

“Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”
  • Keep the white theme, but add a classic theme based on the old boards.
  • Make both themes have a fixed width option as well as standard variable.
  • Change the grey accent of the white theme to 225, 225, 225 (#e1e1e1)
  • Change the quote box colour (just not sure to what)
  • Change the like bar to the same colour the quote box ends up as so it stands out.
  • Definitely more smileys.
  • Option to have quotes auto collapse (current behaviour), or stay open.
  • Reply button auto nest up to three quotes deep, but don't take away the multi-quote button.
  • Larger avatars (140 or 150px)
  • What's New work more like Vanilla (keeps read threads and replied threads on the list)
That's what I have for now.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
there's an option for different styles in the preferences menu. maybe you guys can just load a bunch up and let each user choose what they want. it'll be a lot easier to make everyone happy that way.

In addition to the above, I know some people will want to be able to use GIFs for their Avatars. Plus avatars/icons should be a wee bit bigger. :)
Oh! And can we do something about this massive white space between the ends of posts and signatures?

Koenig

The Architect
Would it be alright to change the "Who's Online" segment so that each name was shown on a separate line? It is hard to read it in its current state.

Tucker

I want DX-12 equivalent features.

This forum needs to be next gen.
If it can't run horizon-based ambient occlusion and multiple levels of super-sampled anti-aliasing, what is even the point? How can we live without light shafts and smooth foliage? I mean, there better be some damn fine physics. We wouldn't want the bold simulation to be out of date, and button presses to lack excitement.

Tucker

I made mention of it in the CT, but I will here as well: with the unlimited editing times, I think it would be wise to turn on the "last edited by" function in Xenforo. On IGN, it looks a bit like this:
lastedited.png

lol, people were actually asking for voice chat in ESO the other day. I was like "awww helll no."

Tucker

I like the colours of the casual theme (save for the coloured background on the post body itself), but I'm not fussy about the changes in the layout. I think these colours on the Zenfoogle framework would be hawt (again, using a lighter colour for message body). I also think that for every theme fixed and variable widths should be select-able, not built into individual themes.

IE. Xenfoogle (fixed), Xenfoogle (variable), Casual (fixed), Casual (variable), etc.

ASuch

The Salt Master
-We're calling "avatars" icons, that's it
-Allow someone to change their icon by inputting the URL (or else most gifs won't work)

ZyroXZ2

To be more specific about unlimited editing time, it should be only for the OP on the original thread. I think that makes a little more sense... right? :p

Tucker

To be more specific about unlimited editing time, it should be only for the OP on the original thread. I think that makes a little more sense... right? :p
If the forum reflects the last time a post is edited, I don't think that's a necessary restriction.

Tucker

Jesus there's a lot of themes. I think Xenfoogle with Aurora's colour scheme would be a really cool theme. None of them are perfect as yet, so I'll probably rock on back to Xenfoogle for now (I just can't get into the dark message body background on Casual). I'm definitely liking the level of choice, though.

Let me know how the theme system works and how I might be able to submit colour swatches for existing themes.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Outta the ones I have seen so far I will probably use Hydrogen with default toolbars. That's aroura is by far my least favorite outta the new ones.

It's cool to let everyone have these options and he's not even done uploading them all yet.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I like Aurora Fluid and Hydrogen, and Xenfoogle.

Gonna stick with Aurora Fluid for a little while and see if it sticks with me.

(The slide show on the main site is still a little weird in its order, too.)

Perfect theme for me: Basically the Casual theme but with more classic TNE look. Also having stats underneath usernames too like Post Count and all that jazz. Forum staples really.

Tucker

Yeah, Casual seems to be the best for TNE so far, but I think the message backdrop needs to be lighter.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Ouch, that's really terrible. I hope there's some way to recover it, or that you had the stuff saved somewhere.

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
The positive/neutral/negative bar on profiles is interesting. Tested it and disagree counts as neutral so there is no negative rating. Negative ratings are mentioned but non-existent and the bar is a bar of positive vs. neutral which just seems kinda weird.
If you want to have the bar maybe it could be changed to funny vs helpful vs controversial vs liked to match the rating system better. Or something along those lines. Rather than positive vs neutral vs non-existent negative.

That's pretty cool. Shows the rating of a thread as well.

• Can we have the media embedder embed IGN videos? They actually upgraded to a 702p 60FPS video streaming format, making their videos supreme to everyone else on the Internet
  • Also, might it be a good idea to label who front page editors are on this site as well as maybe people who have publish articles from the Writer's Kitchen?

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Let's talk about all those buttons getting posted.

As I've said in the CT, I dislike the idea of having so many buttons. The "LOL" button is being well received by the community, so I think it's fine to have that in addition to "Like" and "Disagree". But I think the "helpful" and "intelligent" buttons should be at least merged, not just to avoid clutter, but to make their meaning more clear.

I think it would be fine to merge both the "intelligent" and "helpful" buttons under a "wise" button. This word is comprehensive enough that it can be used in less specific situations without necessarily colliding with the other buttons.

I also think we should be able to give a post more than one quality, so that we can like and disagree with a post at the same time, for example. I don't see any reason not to have this beyond it being possibly technically difficult to implement; in terms of the posting dynamic, I see no advantage to only allowing users to give one quality to a post.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Another issue is the display of stats under a person's profile. Some forum styles display them while others do not. I think the option to display them should be available for all styles, so that the only reason to change styles is preference in layout and color palettes.

Like fixed width display, stats display should be optional for every style.

Counter for the other buttons. I like being able to see how many posts of mine people liked, disagreed with, thought were funny, intelligent, or helpful, etc.

Feel they are nice statistics to observe. Plus it makes no sense having a like counter, but none for the other buttons. Might as well get rid of the like counter.

The counter doesn't need to be under our names, just somewhere we can find it.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah I'm on board for both these, tho I won't dismiss anyone else's opinion that is different.

I never cared about stats I'm running them off right now and I like that a lot.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
For the counters, it's difficult because I certainly agree that they should be given as an option for competitive-minded people who like them. But at the same time, there are other kinds of "players" that like different features (socializers, explorers, I forget what the others are, @nerdman pls hlp you probably remember them better), and we should also give those people features they can appreciate.

Right now, the "likes", "disagrees", and "LOL" buttons are already geared towards socializers (and since we're a message forum, pretty much everyone here is like that). But in the future, and I'm talking long-term, we should definitely be thinking of how to properly give features that not just competitors and socializers want, but others as well.

For the counters, it's difficult because I certainly agree that they should be given as an option for competitive-minded people who like them. But at the same time, there are other kinds of "players" that like different features (socializers, explorers, I forget what the others are, @nerdman pls hlp you probably remember them better), and we should also give those people features they can appreciate.

Right now, the "likes", "disagrees", and "LOL" buttons are already geared towards socializers (and since we're a message forum, pretty much everyone here is like that). But in the future, and I'm talking long-term, we should definitely be thinking of how to properly give features that not just competitors and socializers want, but others as well.
It's not so much competition – I don't think anyone would ever really admit that anyway lol, but if they are here to compete, wat r u doin mayn – but it's interesting statistics to look at that can actually be pretty helpful.

I'm also not saying add a counter at the expense of other features. If there's something someone wants, I think they should speak up.

Aight. Screw the "Helpful" and "intelligent" buttons and merge it to "Wise". Was forced to "like" someone's post when I really wanted to say "Good point" (or "wise").

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
Any type of like system or gamification is going to effect behavior. It's difficult to say how or to what extent.
Before you start discussing whether some system is good or bad, it's important to have a clear purpose for said system.

If you're using it for members to shape the community by approving others content, then just the like/dislike are needed. Those are the most flexible.

PA forums has a Like and an Awesome button. What's the difference? Awesome points get logged and loaded to another part of the forum that acts as a showcase of the forum's favorite content. It has a clearly defined purpose.