Game of Thrones discussion thread (spoilers for the series and the book material covered)

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
CTV in Canada is airing all of season one right now. They're doing one episode a night for two weeks. So I decided it'd be fun to go back and rematch.

I'm not sure if it's just the memory of the emotion, but wow... even the first few episodes have been so much more emotional than the newer seasons.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
So that was 1 helluvan episode (7x4)

The wolf pack is gathering, Arya is a total badass, and that ending... The Showrunners compared it to an f16 entering a medieval conflict... Which is accurate... It reminded me a lot of the anime Gate, which was basically exactly that... Modern weapons and tactics in a fantasy setting.

The Dragon gets all of the attention of course... But the Dothraki deserve some praise as well... That had to be the single most expensive scene in TV history... Maybe not as epic as the battle of the bastards was.... But that was a full episode, this was 1 scene.

I never liked the Battle of the Bastards due to lapses of logic seemingly every character had in the moments leading up to it. This was much better and smarter.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm really surprised by how quickly the plot is moving along. They really want to wrap this up. Just last season I was asking for stuff to happen because it was going so slow, but now I feel like they're rushing through all the plot points so they can get to the climactic "Winter is here" part of the story. I wouldn't be surprised if Cersei gets killed within the next two episodes.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
As soon as she was talking about the annulment and secret heir, that was such an OMG moment, and no one else knows, and she doesn't understand what she just found out.

But I do love the chemistry between Jon and Dani. It's palpable.

Also, does anyone think Cersei is faking the pregnancy to get her idiot brother back under her spell?

theMightyME

Be careful, there are spoilers everywhere for the next episode, which hbo Spain accidentally released early, with enough time to be ripped. Just scrolling through my youtube Frontpage i saw a clip (that i didn't watch) and the title of the clip was MASSIVE!

So be careful

this is the worst love story ever told

This thing is becoming some fanfiction levels of predictable, but man I kinda like how everything is just flowing and moving now. The episodes feel longer than they actually are, which in this case is a very good thing. I appreciate a lot of the more grounded moments in this episode as well, very smart dialogue without the "badass" kickers at the end of every sentence. Real fun shit.

i didnt realize the finale was this week.
idk, I havent been too impressed with the show, but its getting dumb enough to the point where I can enjoy it for an entirely different reason.

sjmartin79

One nice thing about this season is there are no filler episodes. Either big conversations are happening that further character development or plot, or there is something exciting and action-filled happening.

theMightyME

the best thing is probably the budget, scale, and attention to detail in the actual production now

these battles are amazing

the worst thing is some of the forced tension, and the way they are quickly throwing away extrenious plots just to get them out of the way, that combined with the fast travel and quicker pace are making the world feel much much smaller

I still quite enjoy it though

sjmartin79

I'm honestly okay with the fast travel. I fully believe that a raven can fly overnight down to Dragonstone and that Dany can fly on a dragon up there in a few hours. Without a subtitle to say "2 days later" 0r "24 hours later", we just have to assume that a certain amount of time has passed, and we were lucky enough to not have someone rowing for 2 days be the plot of an episode.

That was unforgivable but I'm of the mindset that the show is schlock now so I dont really care for bad writing and editing like that. I could nitpick that whole ending sequence to no end but why tire myself. The show is wrestling.
If it wasnt clear before its clear now how far removed the show is from the books.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I saw a headline somewhere saying that this season of Game of Thrones feels like fanfiction. I agree. Everything is too convenient, and all the plotlines are basically heading in the direction that the fanbase wants them to.

I'm still hoping that there is a deeper plot to this story. This is a world in which the mystical Children of the Forest created ice necromancers that raise the dead to fight the First Men; where a space-time wizard can see everything that has ever happened and will happen, and can create time paradoxes by manipulating people in the past; where dragons exist; where Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit routinely revive people to do their bidding; where the Drowned God is prophesized to return and wreck everything. I don't want to watch Jon and Dany's soap opera anymore, and I won't be satisfied if next season is just a 7-hour long fight between the dragons and the ice baddies.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

Don't forget that next season we also need Arya wearing Jaime Lannister's face while she kills Cersei. I'm sure they'll make time for that.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
By the way I do think the Sansa and Arya pettiness is planned. I think it's not Littlefinger that is manipulating Arya, but Bran that is manipulating Littlefinger. I want to see Bran's messed up superpowers in full effect.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I agree that everything seems very, very rushed to fit things in time. There are just too many series writer tropes going on and things that just don't fit in the original author's way of doing things. I'd love to see a revision in the future of what really happens in the book, if that ever happens.

theMightyME

I agree that everything seems very, very rushed to fit things in time. There are just too many series writer tropes going on and things that just don't fit in the original author's way of doing things. I'd love to see a revision in the future of what really happens in the book, if that ever happens.
Listen to audiobooks it is great fun, and you can listen while doing other things

I often listen while playing splatoon, or working in photoshop, or doing something menial, like formatting a big article.

Last edited:

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
Listen to audiobooks it is great fun, and you can listen while doing other things

I often listen while playing splatoon, or working in photoshop, or doing something menial, like formatting a big article.
I tend to read them at night, actually. It just happens in spurts though. I don't have a lot of times where I can really listen to an audiobook, unfortunately. I miss having a job where I could consume books and talk radio while working back in the day at the post office.

theMightyME

I tend to read them at night, actually. It just happens in spurts though. I don't have a lot of times where I can really listen to an audiobook, unfortunately. I miss having a job where I could consume books and talk radio while working back in the day at the post office.
damn, cause I have recomendations I could make

theMightyME

lul they mushed aegon and jon
lul ice dragon
lul bitches
Wasn't an ice dragon, just blue fire

So doing my video tomorrow... What scene/story should we focus on?

Littlefinger
Incest
The wall
The wight display
Cerseis plot

We only cover a single aspect, then save the rest for the podcast

Also, any listener mail you guys want us to respond to?

Or does anybody want to guest

We record tomorrow at 9pm pst

sjmartin79

The Sansa/Littlefinger/Arya stuff would be great to dive into for your podcast or video. Especially discussion on when you think Sansa caught on.