Game suggestions for my new PC

Goodtwin

I ordered a new PC from Best Buy. It's a Syber Vapor with an AMD R7 360, 8GB of DDR3 1600, 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive and AMD Athlon X4 quad core 3.2 GHZ CPU.

It should be capable of PS4 quality games, but I am more interested in older games that I missed out on. I already have a few games in my Q on Steam, Half Life 2, Mass Effect 1&2, and Batman AA. I have always been a Nintendo only gamer, so there should be a ton of games on Steam that I can run maxed out with a silky 60fps.

Honestly, I expected to see countless games I want to buy, but so far it doesn't seem like I missed out on much. Not saying there aren't lots of great games not on Nintendo hardware, but perhaps I can get some suggestions on great games that may not be front page games on Steam, but great games. I'm not big into shooters unless it's with a Wii Remote, so that eliminates a lot of popular games.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
I'm not a big shooter fan but I love playing RPG's on computer.

If you like a well fleshed out story and Baldur's Gate style gameplay go with Pillars of Eternity.
If you want good turn by turn RPG gaming try out Divinity : Original Sin
First Person RPG = Skyrim
Story-Based Cyber Punk turn-by-turn with a focus on strategy try out Shadowrun Dragonfall
A story based game with a bit of intrigue that hits you right in the feels try out Firewatch
The best RTS game in a while is Grey Goo. Very original stuff.
If you want an adventure game on the cheap try out Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
If you want an RPG with Monster Hunter controls but a bit less grindy try out Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen.

Also, keep an eye out on Humble Bundles. There are normally some pretty great things for PC on the cheap.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
But for real it's like Burnout2 crashed into a platinum game like Bayonetta.

The basic concept is this. The game gives you weapons, traps and other means to dispatch your foes. The more flashy you kill them the better your score......the better your score the more money you make for upgrades on weapons and thus making your kills more flashy.

Let say you have a guy standing infront of a cactus. You can kick him into the cactus and that's fine you will get points.

OR you can kick + shotgun and send them flying into the cactus and you get major points. There are 100s of ways to do this and it keeps the game fresh from start to finish.

Plus it's a decent story with good characters. Mainly tho the gameplay is a lot of fun

When I got into Steam full tilt some older games I picked up and thoroughly enjoyed were Half Life series, F.E.A.R, Hitman Blood Money (GET IT), Thief series (ignore the reboot), Portal 1 & 2, Doom 1 & 2.

Some indies I recommend are Limbo, Hotline Miami 1 (not 2), Beatbuddy, Dust: An Elysian Tale and Crypt of the Necrodancer is really fun so far but super hard.

Some games I played and loved on PS3 that you can get on Steam that I also highly recommend are Dishonored, South Park & the Stick of Truth, Bulletstorm, Bioshock series, Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein The New Order.

The last Steam sale I also picked up System Shock 1 & 2 but haven't played them yet.

Happy gaming.

What's your Steam ID? PM me if you want.

Odo

I'm not a big shooter fan but I love playing RPG's on computer.

If you like a well fleshed out story and Baldur's Gate style gameplay go with Pillars of Eternity.
If you want good turn by turn RPG gaming try out Divinity : Original Sin
First Person RPG = Skyrim
Story-Based Cyber Punk turn-by-turn with a focus on strategy try out Shadowrun Dragonfall
A story based game with a bit of intrigue that hits you right in the feels try out Firewatch
The best RTS game in a while is Grey Goo. Very original stuff.
If you want an adventure game on the cheap try out Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.
If you want an RPG with Monster Hunter controls but a bit less grindy try out Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen.

Also, keep an eye out on Humble Bundles. There are normally some pretty great things for PC on the cheap.
I'm playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Game's great, I strongly recommend it. It's becoming one of my favourite action RPGs ever.

Goodtwin

When I got into Steam full tilt some older games I picked up and thoroughly enjoyed were Half Life series, F.E.A.R, Hitman Blood Money (GET IT), Thief series (ignore the reboot), Portal 1 & 2, Doom 1 & 2.

Some indies I recommend are Limbo, Hotline Miami 1 (not 2), Beatbuddy, Dust: An Elysian Tale and Crypt of the Necrodancer is really fun so far but super hard.

Some games I played and loved on PS3 that you can get on Steam that I also highly recommend are Dishonored, South Park & the Stick of Truth, Bulletstorm, Bioshock series, Tomb Raider and Wolfenstein The New Order.

The last Steam sale I also picked up System Shock 1 & 2 but haven't played them yet.

Happy gaming.

What's your Steam ID? PM me if you want.
My Steam ID is Goodtw1n

I don't mind DA controls for single player shooter games, so Bioshock and perhaps Doom are on my short list. Not sure which version of Doom would be the best for my PC.

I loved Ogre Battle 64, anything really similar on Steam?

Goodtwin

Got my PC yesterday and got it up and running. I downloaded Half Life 2 and Batman AA. Once that was done, I fired up Half Life, maxed everything out, and it seemed to play time at 60fps. I need to download a performance monitor to know for sure. When I went to ride up Batman, I got an error message. I had to search the net to come up with possible solutions, and I eventually did, but I had to chuckle a bit. This is exactly why consoles are still so popular compared to pc's for gaming. Your average consumer doesn't want those headaches. So the flexibility that PC brings comes with the caveat of problems a console gamer never has to worry about.

Also, these things run hot. 75 degrees Celsius. LOL, maybe I'm out of touch because of Wii and Wii U being so damn power efficient, quiet, and ran cool as a cucumber. Not to mention it looks huge next to my Wii U. Having fun with it, but Consoles ain't going nowhere.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Got my PC yesterday and got it up and running. I downloaded Half Life 2 and Batman AA. Once that was done, I fired up Half Life, maxed everything out, and it seemed to play time at 60fps. I need to download a performance monitor to know for sure. When I went to ride up Batman, I got an error message. I had to search the net to come up with possible solutions, and I eventually did, but I had to chuckle a bit. This is exactly why consoles are still so popular compared to pc's for gaming. Your average consumer doesn't want those headaches. So the flexibility that PC brings comes with the caveat of problems a console gamer never has to worry about.

Also, these things run hot. 75 degrees Celsius. LOL, maybe I'm out of touch because of Wii and Wii U being so damn power efficient, quiet, and ran cool as a cucumber. Not to mention it looks huge next to my Wii U. Having fun with it, but Consoles ain't going nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G360V using genital warts
75C is maybe a tad hotter than you'd expect, but still within perfectly acceptable levels. My Macbook Pro under a good load will hit the lower to mid 80s, and it's been running almost flawlessly for seven years. I've had it run [email protected] continuously for days without issue, so if your rig is built properly, it'll be fine. That being said, stock coolers for CPUs are generally not the greatest, but given you're using a small-form factor PC (aka Steam Machine), you're limited as to what is available.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.

Is that 75 C on your graphics card, or CPU? Use HWMonitor to check, just run it while playing a game, so you can see accurate measures. If it's your GPU, that should be fine, but google the maximum safe temps of your graphics card just to be sure. If it's your CPU, run for cover! It shouldn't be running hotter than around 50 C MAX, again depending on your CPU.

Pro-tip: just using a thermal paste for your heatsink that isn't the one the CPU already comes with will decrease your CPU temps by a ton, it shouldn't run you more than $10. And a decent fan + heatsink combo shouldn't cost more than around $20-$30 either, and that will dramatically decrease your temps. I do recommend eventually getting a fan and heatsink as big as you can fit inside your case, since they produce less noise than a small fan that is running a max speed just to try and keep the CPU from frying. When it comes to graphics cards, though, I don't have any experience lowering temps, but while I've never felt like I've had to, it's probably a good idea.

If you ever have trouble running a game and can't find the answer elsewhere, feel free to PM me. I'm not an expert by any means, but I have dealt with a lot of issues in the 6 years I've had my gaming rig, so I could know what to do.

Edit: Oh and I haven't recommended any games yet because I didn't know where to start, but I guess Dark Souls 1 is always a great recommendation, especially if you install the mod that fixes some of the issues the PC version has.

Goodtwin

I think the CPU was indeed running that hot according to the hardware monitor screen that I logged into on start up. I will take another look, but it does seem from searching that a lot of these new CPU's aren't designed to throttle down until 90 degree Celsius or higher. I will take another look. I know according to the HSI Afterburner software I used to check game performance, it showed my GPU temps in the mid 60's most of the time, and as has as 71 at peak.

I was having some issues keeping a locked 60fps with Vsync on. Even though my pc was able to play Half Life 2 at 250fps with the cap off, once I turned Vsync on it would drop into the mid 50's at times. Same with Batman AA, I will get some drops below 60, and lowering settibgs didn't seem to change that.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I was having some issues keeping a locked 60fps with Vsync on. Even though my pc was able to play Half Life 2 at 250fps with the cap off, once I turned Vsync on it would drop into the mid 50's at times. Same with Batman AA, I will get some drops below 60, and lowering settibgs didn't seem to change that.
There's something odd going on there, VSync shouldn't be destroying your framerate like that. Personally, it never really reduces my game's performance noticeably. BUT, I have seen many people say they have trouble with VSync in Source engine games like Half Life 2. I also remember Dead Space 1 has massive issues with VSync, it introduces a lot of input lag and generally makes the game really difficult to play. It's possible that Arkham Asylum has a similar deal going on.

How are you enabling VSync? Through the games' options, or through your graphics card's settings? (I believe it's just called Radeon Settings.) Not every game will respond the same to one or the other, you should just try experimenting and seeing if you get the same results by enabling VSync through the game settings or the Radeon settings. Or you can try using the frame rate target control feature to limit your framerate to 60 fps and disabling VSync and seeing how that works.

Goodtwin

I am using Vsync through game options. I will try it through the Radeon settings and see if that's better.

Shoulder

Also, since you're talking about GPU settings, if there are games which are too demanding, but you just don't compelled to reduce the graphics settings, you might consider implementing an adaptive refresh rate option, which can half the refresh rate of your monitor (30hz instead of 60hz), and basically run your games at 30fps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-case-for-30fps-pc-gaming

I've posted about 30fps gaming before, but I find it gives you the option to get more out of your rig in its current status than always having to resort to upgrade every two-three years or so. My current rig is 2 years old, but thankfully, it still plays pretty much all my games to 60fps maxxed out, or almost all maxxed out. I was honesty considering the new GTX 1060 since that price point is to enticing ($250 US), and it has 6GB of GDDR5 versus my measly 2GB on my GTX 770.

Goodtwin

Also, since you're talking about GPU settings, if there are games which are too demanding, but you just don't compelled to reduce the graphics settings, you might consider implementing an adaptive refresh rate option, which can half the refresh rate of your monitor (30hz instead of 60hz), and basically run your games at 30fps.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-case-for-30fps-pc-gaming

I've posted about 30fps gaming before, but I find it gives you the option to get more out of your rig in its current status than always having to resort to upgrade every two-three years or so. My current rig is 2 years old, but thankfully, it still plays pretty much all my games to 60fps maxxed out, or almost all maxxed out. I was honesty considering the new GTX 1060 since that price point is to enticing ($250 US), and it has 6GB of GDDR5 versus my measly 2GB on my GTX 770.
I had always assumed introducing a 30fps cap was a standard feature, but I guess not. Good to know it's possible though. It's essential to getting the most out of a buget pc.

Goodtwin

I downloaded HWMonitor to check CPU temp, and I think something is malfunctioning. It's reading between 55 and 70 degree Celsius under no load, and a max of 90 degree while playing Batman AA. The system is warm, but not hot, and this was a test for ten minutes. Not sure what to think. Personally I don't think it's accurately reading CPU temp. It will jump 10-15 Celsius while sitting idle, and then drop down just as fast.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I downloaded HWMonitor to check CPU temp, and I think something is malfunctioning. It's reading between 55 and 70 degree Celsius under no load, and a max of 90 degree while playing Batman AA. The system is warm, but not hot, and this was a test for ten minutes. Not sure what to think. Personally I don't think it's accurately reading CPU temp. It will jump 10-15 Celsius while sitting idle, and then drop down just as fast.
The second part of your post makes me think maybe something weird is going on, but the first part is normal. Temperatures do go up that much when playing games, especially intensive ones, but you won't really feel how hot it is because the heatsink and fan are doing their best to dissipate that heat away from the actual processor.

That said, your CPU shouldn't be running that high. Apparently the maximum operating temperature of your CPU should be 73 C. Are you sure it's not your GPU's temps that you are looking at? Here are my temps while playing Overwatch on high settings 1080p60, for comparison. A game like Arkham Asylum shouldn't be making your computer sweat at all unless it's awfully optimized.

temperatures_jueg.jpg My "min" temperatures are my idle temps.

I would suggest you try a different program if HWMonitor isn't working, maybe something like MSI afterburner, and if you get the same results of really high CPU temps, I'd suggest buying either a tub of thermal paste, or a heatsink+fan combo, or both. Otherwise you could risk frying your CPU quickly with temps that high.

This is the stuff I bought:
Thermal Paste
Heatsink + Fan combo

Goodtwin

Apparently a lot of apps have trouble properly reading AMD CPU temps. After much searching, I found out that AMD Overdriver is the proper app for testing an AMD CPU, and see just how hot it is really running. The app actually gives you "thermal margin", which is how much under maximum operating temp the processor is at. While at idle, I am 50-60 degree Celsius under max, and while gaming I was at 25 degrees. Makes much more sense. Don't get me wrong, I think the small case and stock heat sink and fan are cause for a warmer running processor, but its not as terrible as the other apps were suggesting. My GPU temp is typically 60-65 degree Celsius. I will continue to monitor things, and if I start straying to close to the thermal limit, I will look into a new heat sink and fan, but I believe I am currently ok.

I tried capping my framerate to 30fps in Batman AA to test that out. Its weird, but 30fps on PC feels different. Maybe its just because I was playing it at 60fps, or at least close to 60fps, but there is certainly a different feel. The loading stutter synmoumous with Unreal is there no matter what. I can run Batman maxed at 1080p with 8x MSAA at 60fps most of the time. There are dips into the mid 40's at times, but other than the loading stutters, its pretty darn smooth.

Odo

When I went to ride up Batman, I got an error message. I had to search the net to come up with possible solutions, and I eventually did, but I had to chuckle a bit. This is exactly why consoles are still so popular compared to pc's for gaming. Your average consumer doesn't want those headaches. So the flexibility that PC brings comes with the caveat of problems a console gamer never has to worry about.
Installing a game on a console and just boot it in a few seconds is priceless. PC is still too complicated for me.

Shoulder

Installing a game on a console and just boot it in a few seconds is priceless. PC is still too complicated for me.
Strangely enough, Consoles are about the same as PC these days. Why? If I wanted to buy the same game, but on two different systems digitally, the advantage of the console is gone at that point. And it's not much better when you buy retail either.

Console games these days need to be installed from the disc onto the system itself due to the optical drives being too slow to read all the assets from the disc. And I'll bet it's not going to get much better in the future unless some company develops a super fast optical drive, but you're still dealing with the fact the drive has moving parts, which like a standard HDD, takes awhile to spool up and this slows it down dramatically.

In essence, the gap between Consoles and PC in terms of convenience is shrinking every gen.

Goodtwin

Strangely enough, Consoles are about the same as PC these days. Why? If I wanted to buy the same game, but on two different systems digitally, the advantage of the console is gone at that point. And it's not much better when you buy retail either.

Console games these days need to be installed from the disc onto the system itself due to the optical drives being too slow to read all the assets from the disc. And I'll bet it's not going to get much better in the future unless some company develops a super fast optical drive, but you're still dealing with the fact the drive has moving parts, which like a standard HDD, takes awhile to spool up and this slows it down dramatically.

In essence, the gap between Consoles and PC in terms of convenience is shrinking every gen.
It is, but it's still very automated on consoles. You never have to dig into a Config folder to change a setting, or seak out a driver update to get it working. For tech vetwrans, PC isnt off putting, but for casuals they will not like these hurdles in the slightest. Consoles still offer the refined gaming experience. Potential is higher on PC, but comes with a price. When I look at my Wii U next to my PC, I think of how refined the little console is. Small, quiet, runs cool, and is easy as pie to use. Consoles still rule the roost in the gaming world for the mass market, but tech savy consumers wanting higher levels of performance along with added flexability will likely see PC as their holy grayle.

I just finished Batman AA tonight, and I was thinking how cool it is that not only was I able to buy the game on Steam for $5, but play it with the best graphics and framerate. My PC is budget for sure, but it has plenty of grunt to play games of yesteryear that far exceed the console equivalent. Many games are forever locked and limited to the performance of the consoles they were released on, but with PC, games once only for high end PC gamers, are eventually perfect playable in budget PCs. There are tons of 360/ps3 games that were 720p or less, and struggled to maintain 30fps. Good games, but not at their best. Badically there is a large list of AAA games that a $400 PC can play at 60fps 1080p, and it may be the best optionfor many gamers on a budget.

Nintendo is still in a league of its own. You simply aren't getting those classic Nintendo experiences elsewhere. Its why I know I will be there day one buying an NX, but for the gamer who is more into COD and Batman, I'm all the more certain a PC is a better value than an Xbox or PS4. I had no desire to buy an X1 or PS4, but am glad I got my PC. It's going to supplement my Wii U just fine this year.

Odo

Strangely enough, Consoles are about the same as PC these days.
It is, but it's still very automated on consoles. You never have to dig into a Config folder to change a setting, or seak out a driver update to get it working.
This.

Installing a game on Playstation is not a problem for me. The problem is installing it and it gets errors and things like that. Consoles are still plug and play. PCs still demand some level of maintenance, hardware know-how, going into forums to learn about weird error messages and going out to buy thermal pastes.

Shoulder

This.

Installing a game on Playstation is not a problem for me. The problem is installing it and it gets errors and things like that. Consoles are still plug and play. PCs still demand some level of maintenance, hardware know-how, going into forums to learn about weird error messages and going out to buy thermal pastes.
Can't argue with that sentiment. PCs are not there yet, but even ten years ago, gaming was even more of a chore at times, especially when it came to updating games, or drivers. These days, especially with Digital Distribution, games update themselves, so there's little need to visit a website, and dl the patches there. Same goes for GPU drivers, where now AMD and nVidia have their own apps for their respective GPUs. If there's an update, it'll tell you and ask if you wish to update it. That all being said, there is always going to be more tinkering involved with gaming on a PC, but I love tinkering, going all the way back to my days as a kid, building my own lego sets. I was always improving them, or changing how they look, and basically making them more personal for myself as I saw fit. I love doing that.

The bridge between Consoles and PCs has shrunkened over the last decade, and it has made gaming more user-friendly than ever for the latter. I will not deny that Consoles still provide more plug n' play gaming, but as systems get more complicated and more powerful, there is always more likely for things to go wrong. Up until the PS3, I had never owned a system that failed on me. The PS3 was my first and only *knock on wood* console that broke down on me. Back then, if I was more electronically inclined, I would've worked out a way to fix it (since I ended up losing hundreds of hours of gametime from many games that I'll never get back, so that stung a bit). I bought a PS3 Slim back in early 2010, and have enjoyed it ever since.

Let's also not forget that Consoles are more PC-like than ever before with firmware updates, patches, DLC, and more recently, mods; things Consoles never really used to have before the 7th gen. There are of course loads of benefits to provide all of this, but it does complicate everything more, and it also means more to go wrong. Now, because consoles have a single spec, versus millions upon millions of different specs for PC, developers can hone in on the hardware, get the most out of it, and essentially tailor it for that system. It'll work across all of them with such a high level of success, whereas with PCs, it is not as cut and dry. There's still that notion of tinkering, which understandably does turn off some people.

In terms of getting games up and running though, as near as makes no difference, it's the same experience between the two. The difference is usually performance and fidelity, and whether or not the game will even run on your system. But more recently, some console games have had loads of issues with bugs and glitches that you only used to see and hear about on PCs.

Goodtwin

The second part of your post makes me think maybe something weird is going on, but the first part is normal. Temperatures do go up that much when playing games, especially intensive ones, but you won't really feel how hot it is because the heatsink and fan are doing their best to dissipate that heat away from the actual processor.

That said, your CPU shouldn't be running that high. Apparently the maximum operating temperature of your CPU should be 73 C. Are you sure it's not your GPU's temps that you are looking at? Here are my temps while playing Overwatch on high settings 1080p60, for comparison. A game like Arkham Asylum shouldn't be making your computer sweat at all unless it's awfully optimized.

View attachment 3196 My "min" temperatures are my idle temps.

I would suggest you try a different program if HWMonitor isn't working, maybe something like MSI afterburner, and if you get the same results of really high CPU temps, I'd suggest buying either a tub of thermal paste, or a heatsink+fan combo, or both. Otherwise you could risk frying your CPU quickly with temps that high.

This is the stuff I bought:
Thermal Paste
Heatsink + Fan combo
I used the MX1 thermal paste along with an aftermarket fan and heat sink, and my CPU temps are dramatically lower. My thermal margin is now about 10 degree Celsius better than before. Easy to change, and gives me some piece of mind.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I used the MX1 thermal paste along with an aftermarket fan and heat sink, and my CPU temps are dramatically lower. My thermal margin is now about 10 degree Celsius better than before. Easy to change, and gives me some piece of mind.

Glad it helped. At the very least, it should extend your CPU's life. I've had mine for five and a half years now.

Goodtwin

I purchased Shadow of Mordor to test the limits of my PC and it's been great. A combination of medium to ultra settings at 1080p native with a 30fps cap has worked flawlessly. The game runs without stutter, and looks great.