Gaming and aging

Odo

Here's the link of the article:

End of an Era: I'm too old for gaming

Some highlights:

Over the last few weeks, a bitter realization has set in: I simply can't play videogames requiring fast reactions any more
I certainly can't blame the hardware. The fact was I was slowing down, screwing up fights that I would have torn through 10 years ago and in between each round I was rubbing my eyes in increasing pain.
It's not just first-person shooters. EverQuest, a game I stuck with for far too long when I should have quit, is just unplayable.
The funny part is my eyeglass prescription has barely changed in the last 15 years. I'm still blind as a bat like in my 20s but it's not worsening, other than a little presbyopia
Researchers from Simon Fraser University in British Columbia have come to the conclusion that your cognitive motor peak is 24 years of age. After that it's all downhill.
It's a little disturbing to see reflexes go like that. Not just because I can't game anymore, but I need these fast reactions.
So these days, it's "Candy Crush Saga" and "Megapolis" on the iPad. At least I can play them for 20 minutes and not rub my eyes in pain.

So what do you think guys? People can say that this guy is weak, sick or just overreacting, but he wrote and shared that and it looks real.

Do you think we gamers will have to retire someday?

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
i used to be competitive in every game i'd play. but playing with these TNE kids feels like getting butt raped in a snuff tape. they're too good. cause i'm too old. it sucks, but meh, i'm still having fun with it. i'm more into online gaming for the social aspect these days. i lose a lot, but if i'm having fun, it's still a win.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Do you think we gamers will have to retire someday?
Semi-retire, certainly. I have. If you have plenty of interests in life and plan on aging, then plan on having less time to game. Hell, when I got back into playing FPS games on the Wii, I was easily putting in 200+ hours per game. Now? I'm lucky to get a few dozen. For awhile, I was a bang-on 2:1 player. Not now. I don't have the time to keep my chops up, because there's other things more important to me than being good at COD.
i used to be competitive in every game i'd play. but playing with these TNE kids feels like getting butt raped in a snuff tape. they're too good. cause i'm too old. it sucks, but meh, i'm still having fun with it. i'm more into online gaming for the social aspect these days. i lose a lot, but if i'm having fun, it's still a win.
Yeah, same.

It's telling that the game I've spent the most time in this gen has been Monster Hunter. I can mainly chill and hang out. It's challenging, but not uber-twitchy.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I don't know how old the author is, but most of the pro Street Fighter Players are over 30 and still competing. I will hold out hope.

I want to be the 60 year old whooping my grandchildren at video games.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I am by no means a competitive gamer *snickers*, but if nothing else, I've become better at games as the years roll on by. Ten years ago, I certainly could not complete all the chapters in story mode for F-Zero GX. Today? Easy peasy.

Like wine, I get better at games with age. :msrs:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I am consistently outperformed by TNE people who are all older than me, so I'm not worried about that for now.

Outside of motor skills and reflexes, though, my gaming habits are definitely changing. I used to play just about every game I got my hands on, just to try as many different experiences as I could. Throughout the past year or so, though, I've cut down a lot on the games I play. I've gone through my Steam backlog, essentially trying out some of the games I've bought, and if they don't hook me in the first 30 minutes (or less, depending on the game), I uninstall them and forget I ever bought them. Because of this, lately I've also cut down on the number of games I buy.

That said, I go as deep and hard as always to some games, like Dark Souls 2. That bitch has 150 hours of gameplay already, and that's even though I've been away on vacations a good deal of time. I'm getting more picky with the games I play, but I'm still playing the stuff I like as much as ever.

As I get older, I do expect to get even pickier about the stuff I play. I also expect some new kind of game form will grab my attention at some point. But essentially, I think as I get older I'll just be committing time to less games, but with equal dedication.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Perhaps, that's part of it too, Jueg. It's that dedication we put into games that matters more than simply going out to buy certain games. I know many of us here on TNE have put countless hours into Monster Hunter, and likely will do the same for Xenoblade Chronicles X, but have also already for NFS: MW, and potentially MK8 as well, on top of COD: Ghosts. I too also don't uy as many games today, but that's most because I simply don't have the time for them as I used to, so I'm limiting myself as to not completely bog myseld down into games to the point where I know I won't complete them because of the sheer quantity in my backlog.

If there's one thing I would love in life is get to the point where money wasn't an issue for me anymore, and I could still do the things I love. Gaming, Photography, Cinematography, Writing, Driving, Martial Arts; everything else I acquire or do in life is secondary to my eyes.

A lot of this dedication in games of course comes from the multiplayer side of things, and we all know at some point many of us will go out and do our own thing. But as long as we have each other here on TNE for the period of time we can enjoy together, we shall make it memorable for everyone, including ourselves. *sheds a tear*

Odo

Semi-retire, certainly. I have. If you have plenty of interests in life and plan on aging, then plan on having less time to game. Hell, when I got back into playing FPS games on the Wii, I was easily putting in 200+ hours per game. Now? I'm lucky to get a few dozen. For awhile, I was a bang-on 2:1 player. Not now. I don't have the time to keep my chops up, because there's other things more important to me than being good at COD.

Yeah, same.

It's telling that the game I've spent the most time in this gen has been Monster Hunter. I can mainly chill and hang out. It's challenging, but not uber-twitchy.
Yes, definitely we've got less time as we get older. I used to play 8 hours of non-stop gaming and now it's a rare activity.

I used to replay games as well, but nowadays I rarely replay a game, I just have too many new games to try out.

I don't know how old the author is, but most of the pro Street Fighter Players are over 30 and still competing. I will hold out hope.

I want to be the 60 year old whooping my grandchildren at video games.

Me too. I'd like to play MK with my grandchildren and if they buy a PlayStation, I'll going to hate them! No more desserts for them!

:D :D

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Outside of some very serious decline precipitated by some kind of medical condition, for most of one's post-20's life, a normal average tendency towards a relative decline of peak reflex potential with age is something that is only going to be of concern to those performing at the highest competitive levels, or most severe degrees of challenge.

Even then it is only going to be one factor, the importance of which will vary depending on the balance of elements necessary to be competitive at the particular game in question.

Besides, think of all the games that don't even engage reflexes.

By far the more widely experienced constraint on gaming as you age is free-time, and the basis of that is social, not biological.