Generation 8 and the last generation

Can the Gen 8 of video games be the best one?

• Total voters

Odo

Let's consider Gen 8 as

WiiU
3DS
PS4
X1
NS

and Gen 7 as

Wii
DS
PS3
X360

Last generation we had extraordinary gems like Super Mario Galaxy, The Last of US, MGS5, GTAV, Skyrim, Journey, Gears of War, BioShock, Xenoblade Chronicles, Assassins Creed II, Minecraft, Ni no Kuni and others

Current generation so far has: Zelda BotW, SM3DW, Uncharted 4, Overwatch, FE Awakening, The Witcher 3, Zelda ALBW, Forza Horizon 3 and others that will come.

Some think that this generation has already beaten the last one, others disagree. What do you think? Is it a promising generation or not?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I can't quite say for sure at this point, but I think about it like this:

As gamers, we age, and naturally, because we age, we experience more and more games as a result. Normally, when we first experience specific games, they are so fresh and new in our minds that they feel like the greatest things ever, and for many of those games over the years, they still remain to this day some of the best gaming experiences. As we play more games though, those new games appear to overlap with the experiences we first had, so they don't as a result feel as memorable.

Case in point? Sequels. Whether it is games, movies, books, etc, normally the sequel(s) don't live up to the hype of the originals, and part of that likely has to do with how fresh and new the first one was. A classic example in my case is Metroid Prime. MP1 was so fresh and new for many of us that to this day, it still sits among one of those all-time greats. Now that being said, while I think MP1 is my personal favorite game of the trilogy, I will say that MP2 is technically the better game because I thought it improved the game in some areas, while offering a newer experience in others. You may disagree, but that's how I look at it.

Very rarely though does a sequel match or exceed the original, and I think the same applies for video games over time. We start playing games that tend to feel rather the same, even though they might be entirely different franchises, but for some, they still feel similar to other experiences we previously had. That does not mean those newer titles are bad by any stretch, but that they may not feel as memorable.

Just take a peak of my top 5 games of all time: 1)Skies of Arcadia, 2)Xenoblade Chronicles, 3/4)Deus Ex/Half-Life (I go back and forth between the two), and finally 5) Metroid Prime.

Four of the 5 games in my top 5 came out over a decade ago, so I look at as newer games are becoming more difficult as a gamer to still be fresh and new. It still happens from time to time, but not as often as it used to. Those gaming experiences when I was younger felt so new and fresh that many of the games I play today don't seem to have that much of an impact right off the bat.

So to sum this up, I can't quite say which one is better just yet as I still have other games to play from the 7th gen, on top of current gen games. XBC obviously yielded one of my favorite gaming experiences ever, but then a game like Wonderful 101 was so fresh and new (especially when you got a grasp of the game's mechanics), it was so rewarding and fun to play, it's one of my favorite games thus far in the 8th gen.

I simply can't choose right now. DON'T MAKE ME CHOOSE!!! :mnerv:

BobSilencieux

I'm firmly in the camp that says that the whole videogame industry took a massive shit in gen 7. Then it took that steaming shit and rubbed it all over its fat, ugly face. Then it came to MY HOUSE, and your house, and everybody's house, and rubbed its fat, ugly, steaming, shit-covered face all over the windows of my house, so now my house is covered in shit. Well, fuck you gen 7 videogame industry, fuck you very much!

Gen 4 da bess 4 eva & eva.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I'm firmly in the camp that says that the whole videogame industry took a massive shit in gen 7. Then it took that steaming shit and rubbed it all over its fat, ugly face. Then it came to MY HOUSE, and your house, and everybody's house, and rubbed its fat, ugly, steaming, shit-covered face all over the windows of my house, so now my house is covered in shit. Well, fuck you gen 7 videogame industry, fuck you very much!

Gen 4 da bess 4 eva & eva.
Interestingly enough, I read that in Jay's voice. Has he been speaking for you lately?

Odo

Thinking about it, I think I'm with @Shoulder . I don't want to choose now and I feel that both generations are somehow very similar. Generation 8 appears to be Gen 7 + Better Graphics, however I had some extraordinary surprises. Zelda Breath of the Wild is really something else and it's not like just a Zelda with better graphics. XCX has many flaws, but it's still a technical marvel and I reckon it's going to become an inspiration for other developers. 3DS brought Zelda A Link Between Worlds and FE Awakening as well as many other modern gems. PS4 started slow, but now it's delivering things like Uncharted 4, Nier and Horizon Zero Dawn and some other promises like Ni no Kuni II among others.

All those games brought something new and somehow are using the best of their consoles' hardware and this generation is far from the end in my opinion.

Another thing to highlight is indie development. The indie games of this generation are clearly an evolution from the last one. Take a look at No Man's Sky, for example. No doubt that it was a slap in the face of many, although it's still a great technical accomplishment for an indie company. We finally reached a generation where we can see indie companies capable of becoming major. Nicalis and Image & Form are good examples.

Although I'm still on the fence, I think Gen 8 will end up winning and showing that the game industry is still capable of bringing surprises.

PS: Gen 8 is still an example of victory in a world full of mobile devices. It was said that Gen 8 wouldn't survive them, but PS4 is a winner, 3DS was a beast and NS is out there right now.

Aki

i don't think so. and my reasoning is very simple. game creation for dedicated hardware is as expensive as ever. this has led to a less diverse library in general. also, ds, wii, 360, and ps3 will be very hard to beat. some would say that's even better than gen 6, the golden age of the 32bit and up era.