Getting Ready for Donkey Kong

I never got around to 100% completing Donkey Kong Country Returns on my Wii. I had beaten the game last time I played but now I started my hunt for the gems to unlock the golden temple. I remember playing this was harder a year ago. Just last night I aced a bunch of levels and got 2 new gems. I guess all the platforming I've played in the last year has helped increase my skills :)

Anyways have you guys played DKC? Are you guys excited for DK Tropical Freeze?

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
i'm not that excited for it. it looks cool. i'm sure it'll be good for what it is. but i'm not dropping 60 bones on another "run to the right until you win" game. i'll probably get it in a few years when it's like 20 bucks or so.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I'm definitely excited for it. I'm going to buy it release week, but I won't have time to play it for a bit. I'm interested to see what all they have tweaked and fine-tuned. That this was the game that made them feel the need to revisit the series. Hopefully, this is their Opus for DK and they can take on another IP, whether it be Metroid or something new.

Odo

I finished DKC returns but I didn't complete it.
I like DKC a lot, but I'm not that excited for a new game. I can wait and play others.

In fact, I'd like to see DKC1, 2 and 3 on VC. Remove them was the worst thing Nintendo did ever! I love those original DKC, but it seems to me that I'll never see them again on VC. :(

i'm not that excited for it. it looks cool. i'm sure it'll be good for what it is. but i'm not dropping 60 bones on another "run to the right until you win" game. i'll probably get it in a few years when it's like 20 bucks or so.
Yeah I understand it's a steep price to pay for a platformer. Even with DKC I waited till the price dropped to 30 to grab it. However I cringed at the "run to the right until you win" comment. Platformers is a bit more than that, at least in my eyes. Sure you uncover the whole story by running to the right but I believe a true platformer is the one that makes you explore the level, find collectibles, uncover secrets through skill, observation etc. So it's a bit more complex than run to the right.

It's one of the reasons I've been more turned off by the New Super Mario Bros series of late...that one feels very "run to the right" type of game.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
yeah, i know it's more complex than that. but it's still run to the right and enjoy the scenery. it can be fun, but i'm not too excited about paying 60 bucks for that.

Gotta agree with Buddah. As great as a game DKCTF might end up being, $60 is a little eh for a bunch of puzzle sets. I mentioned it in another thread, but I think Nintendo needs stop offering 2D Platformers for $60. If I had a choice of DKCTF for $60 vs. something like TLoZ for $60, I think the choice is obvious based on content and sheer scale alone.

Regardless, since I'm sucker, I probably might end up paying $60 anyway lol.

hogge

I think that this is one 2D-platformer too many on a system with a desperate software shortage.But then again, I'm a person who, apart from New Mario Bros Wii, hasn't bought a single game with 2D gameplay since the original Pokémon.
And also, I think that Donkey Kongs new voice is ridiculous. The old one was perfect, while the current one sounds like Scooby Doo after a stroke:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2KkkLxdifw
I prefer the old one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHuUn-kSfYE

I loved DKCR. I've never played the original trilogy and can't now since they took them of the VC for some reason. Anyways, Returns was an amazing game. Very fun and challenging. I'm very excited for Tropical Freeze though I canceled my pre-order for it since I figured I had enough platformers all ready so pre-ordered Mario Kart 8 instead.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm not pumped for it, but I know I'll buy it and probably really like it, so I'm on media blackout for it.
I can't understand you guys spoiling all that David Wise music for yourselves so early.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
I will probably wait for it. Looks really great, but my backlog is choking me right now. I am sorry Cranky :( wish I could be with you sooner

Goodtwin

It will be the end of February, and with little else coming out I will be buying this day one. Im not a huge fan of the series, but they are very good games. I liked DKC Returns for Wii, and I am sure this will be more of the same. If there was a bunch of competition coming out at the same time I might be holding off, but there isnt and Rayman Legends reignited my believe that 2D games can have a lot of depth and offer countless hours of gameplay. Legends gave me about 40 hours, thats pretty darn good for a 2D platformer.

I was ecstatic when the DKC series was brought back to life with Returns on Wii, so I'm really looking forward to Tropical Freeze. I love the old Rare games, and Retro has been doing a pretty good job with the series. The game is already pre-ordered and paid off, so now I'm just waiting until February.

And while it doesn't make any real difference, I can't help but point out that the game's actually $50, not $60. :p

It will be the end of February, and with little else coming out I will be buying this day one. Im not a huge fan of the series, but they are very good games. I liked DKC Returns for Wii, and I am sure this will be more of the same. If there was a bunch of competition coming out at the same time I might be holding off, but there isnt and Rayman Legends reignited my believe that 2D games can have a lot of depth and offer countless hours of gameplay. Legends gave me about 40 hours, thats pretty darn good for a 2D platformer.
Nintendo needs to learn a few things from Rayman Legends. Ubisoft took 2D platforming to a new level. Nintendo is still holding on to the past.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Nintendo needs to learn a few things from Rayman Legends. Ubisoft took 2D platforming to a new level. Nintendo is still holding on to the past.
Hell fucking no. Did you play 3D World?

DK will be better than legends and NSLU combined.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
Rayman Legends gave me 70+ hours :O and I still haven't one hundred percented it.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
Hell fucking no. Did you play 3D World?

DK will be better than legends and NSLU combined.
I think he was referring to the New Super Mario series.

Yeah I was referring to the NSM series. It's literally just grabbing a bunch of nostalgic elements and throwing them into a basket. It doesn't seem like they're trying anymore.

If you think of the 3 NES Mario Bros game and the SNES mario world, there's drastic improvements from one title to the next. Then you look at the NSM series and it's just...so weak.

I'm finding they're doing the same with the 3D mario series. Mario 64->sunshine->Galaxy were all significant improvements one from the next..then mario 3d land and 3d world just again seem to grab as much nostalgia as they can and throw it together in a cheap arrangement. I don't know, maybe it's just because they tore out the exploration part of the 3D versions that has me bugged.

Actually rethinking this no...I stand by what I say

Original Mario -> it came with the system, we all loved it
Mario 2 -> cool! you can play as Peach and she floats!
Mario 3 -> Airships!? World Maps? Bowser has kids? Whoa this world just expanded!
Mario World -> New land to explore? Dinosaurs everywhere, everything is so fresh!
NSM Series -> Uh..nice level designs

Mario 64 -> there was a lot to love here..it's the first 3D Mario game and you had a whole castle to explore
Sunshine -> not my favorite but they tried new stuff. Having a whole city/island to explore/clean was a fresh attempt at something
Galaxy-> awesome gameplay, new level designs, a whole ship to explore and unlock new areas
New 3D series -> Uh..nice level designs

The latest Mario entries just don't bring any fresh overall themes or ideas. They make cool levels, absolutely, but it just feels like a compilation of levels bunched together with no overarching theme/feel or motive.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Donkey Kong Country Returns was freaking awesome so I expect Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze to be top-notch
As for the whole platforming Mario debate, for me, that only stands with the NSMB games. I'm probably going to get a lot of hate for this but I truly do like the 3D series, which is 3D Land and 3D World. 3D Land was the best of 2D and 3D Mario combined while 3D World expanded upon that. While 3D World wasn't necessarily completely new or fresh, 3D Land was. Not to mention, you'd be lying to yourself if you denied their high quality. They may not be groundbreaking or anything but I never felt that the level designs were bland or tired. I actually like 3D Land nearly as much as 64 and, given enough time, I'd probably like 3D World more so than 64. Probably not the Galaxy series though. Those are untouchable

Odo

I have mixed feelings about 3D Marios.
For me 64, Sunshine and Galaxy are better than 3D Land and 3D World as @ModernSamuraiJay said
However, 3D Land and 3D World, for me, are much more fun than 64/Sunshine/Galaxy. I've enjoyed them more.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

NSMB is explained by nintendo's junior teams being shown the "ropes"

Thats what those games were. 3D World is bloody amazing, dont care what anyone says, never has a mario game since SMB2 resonated this much with me.

If we're gonna talk about mario we should be talking about the kart and the party games, thats where my "quality issues" lie. Lol.

Aki

I'm excited for this game and will ultimately pick it up, however, I'm not sure if I'll get it day one or wait for a price drop. Not only do I have a huge backlog and are there a lot of good titles coming out for PS4 around the same time, but I'm starting to agree that $50 might be a bit too high for the game. Still not sure, I'll have to check the word on the street before I commit to this one. I've already been burned by enough Wii U games in 2013.

GamingFreak1988

The Platformer Guru
Yeah I don't plan to buy it either at launch.. But until months afterwards.. Bought enough games during august to November to keep me entertained for awhile. I haven't gotten tired of playing them. So unless it ends up on sale or something on amazon.. I'll end up getting it later.

I was ecstatic when the DKC series was brought back to life with Returns on Wii, so I'm really looking forward to Tropical Freeze. I love the old Rare games, and Retro has been doing a pretty good job with the series. The game is already pre-ordered and paid off, so now I'm just waiting until February.

And while it doesn't make any real difference, I can't help but point out that the game's actually $50, not $60. :p
On Amazon UK the game is about £32 to pre-order whereas the likes of Sm4sh and MK8 are £45. So perhaps Nintendo does see how 2D are regarded as less 'grand' as other games. Saying that, I bet NSMBU was full price at launch.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
For some reason, I feel my hype meter inching up. I didn't even play DKCR, because I was never a big DKC fan. But that also means I haven't played a new Retro game since 2007, and I miss me some Retro.

[Every time I read over this thread title, I think it says Getting Ready for Donkey Punch.]

I'm hyped. I never really liked metroid but I grew up playing the Donkey Kong Country series on SNES. Excited to play co op with my best friend and show him how damn difficult this game can be.

Can't wait. I loved the one on Wii (didn't bother rebuying on 3DS despite the love). I had basically 100% it, just never did the time trials stuff. The letters, puzzle pieces, gems, levels, etc were all 100%.
They need to re-release the DKC games for SNES on Wii U!

Can't wait. I loved the one on Wii (didn't bother rebuying on 3DS despite the love). I had basically 100% it, just never did the time trials stuff. The letters, puzzle pieces, gems, levels, etc were all 100%.
Preferably with a "buy 2 get 1 free/50% off" type deal.
But the fact they took them down from the Wii doesn't bode well.

That'd be the best. Didn't really care much for DKC3, but the first 2 were awesome.
Ugh, just reminds me how I'm pissed at Nintendo. I BOUGHT them on Wii - transferred them to Wii U - my Wii U was STOLEN, so Nintendo's method of retrieval is here is $XXX, go re-buy your games. Yeah, I can't f***ing re-buy some if you take it off the store! Really mad I lost the DKC games. TMNT (original) not as much - although I still want that one back too.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

That'd be the best. Didn't really care much for DKC3, but the first 2 were awesome.
Ugh, just reminds me how I'm pissed at Nintendo. I BOUGHT them on Wii - transferred them to Wii U - my Wii U was STOLEN, so Nintendo's method of retrieval is here is $XXX, go re-buy your games. Yeah, I can't f***ing re-buy some if you take it off the store! Really mad I lost the DKC games. TMNT (original) not as much - although I still want that one back too.
Wait you let your WiiU get stolen and didnt talk to Nintendo so they'd replace them for you?

Sounds like you're mad at yourself bro.

When I see Tropical Freeze nothing screams at me to wait in line for it on some cold-ass February day to get a copy but the game looks so very well crafted that you know when you get to playing it, you'll never want the experience to end.

Wait you let your WiiU get stolen and didnt talk to Nintendo so they'd replace them for you?

I didn't "let" my Wii U get stolen, my house was robbed.
I did talk to Nintendo, at least 3 times. I submitted it the moment I knew it was gone. I had numerous downloaded games including Super Mario 3D World, NSMB U, Wii Fit U, at least 8-10 indie/smaller downloadable games and over 20 Virtual console games. Plus I had another few dozen virtual console/Wiiware titles transferred from Wii.
They know of the loss I had. Their "fix" was to give me $XXX credit to the eShop and XX,000 points to Wii Shop Channel. I did kindly let them know that DKC1 & 2 are not currently available. The rep said they normally can issue download codes for this scenario, but to the nature of WHY they were taken down, they could not issue a download ticket for both of those and TMNT (NES).
EDIT: Originally they told me they were going to do a system transfer - where I would keep my NNID, all of my purchases, all of my Wiiware/Virtual Console titles from Wii. That made me feel ecstatic. They said it would complete in 5-6 business days. On the 5th day, they called me to let me know it was not possible or they had complications. So their "new" solution was to offer credit for the games lost. Due to me upgrading many virtual console games, they figured in that in the cost so I had to rebuy on Wii, then repurchase from eShop. In terms of the 30 cent games - they had to give me download codes (I did buy most of those on Wii originally).

Rehasing stuff from other sites (my bad) but neogaffers reporting that GI gave Tropical Freeze a 9.25. The other big news is that it's 6 instead of 8 worlds. Quality over Quantity is what I say.

#NotTooShabby

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Rehasing stuff from other sites (my bad) but neogaffers reporting that GI gave Tropical Freeze a 9.25. The other big news is that it's 6 instead of 8 worlds. Quality over Quantity is what I say.

#NotTooShabby
DKCTF has more content than DKCR actually

http://m.quickmeme.com/img/83/831fed82a85437a7c7c47a373d3141b042593d8db8d7fd174207724f486426bf.jpg

Now that Nintendo is bigger and more experienced, we should have to worry about having droughts though, right? I look forward to 8-10/10 games every month being the norm some time in the future. The day this happens will be the day Nintendo sells over 100M units again.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
There are many of them^
Not to mention what the reviewer just mentioned lol

I know, but when the sources aren't posted it forces people to go looking for things they may or may not find by themselves, and makes it more difficult to follow the conversation. The academic world is heavy into citation rules for a reason. If every researched was forced to figure out by themselves whether a claim somebody made was true by having to go and search through books themselves, they would never get anywhere.
All I'm saying, is that posting sources to go with claims is always good practice, both for the argument and the conversation surrounding it.

Odo

I didn't "let" my Wii U get stolen, my house was robbed.
I did talk to Nintendo, at least 3 times. I submitted it the moment I knew it was gone. I had numerous downloaded games including Super Mario 3D World, NSMB U, Wii Fit U, at least 8-10 indie/smaller downloadable games and over 20 Virtual console games. Plus I had another few dozen virtual console/Wiiware titles transferred from Wii.
They know of the loss I had. Their "fix" was to give me $XXX credit to the eShop and XX,000 points to Wii Shop Channel. I did kindly let them know that DKC1 & 2 are not currently available. The rep said they normally can issue download codes for this scenario, but to the nature of WHY they were taken down, they could not issue a download ticket for both of those and TMNT (NES).
EDIT: Originally they told me they were going to do a system transfer - where I would keep my NNID, all of my purchases, all of my Wiiware/Virtual Console titles from Wii. That made me feel ecstatic. They said it would complete in 5-6 business days. On the 5th day, they called me to let me know it was not possible or they had complications. So their "new" solution was to offer credit for the games lost. Due to me upgrading many virtual console games, they figured in that in the cost so I had to rebuy on Wii, then repurchase from eShop. In terms of the 30 cent games - they had to give me download codes (I did buy most of those on Wii originally).
Man, I'm sorry. This is a sad story :(
My situation is that ..... I haven't bought the DKCs thinking that those three 5-stars-best-sellers would be there forever... and then Nintendo removed them. I almost died that day. I couldn't believe for, I don't know, almost 5 weeks.
I'll never forgive Nintendo (and myself) :(
I always dream that I'll see them again on WiiU VC or we'll have a DKC Trilogy Super Mega Bloody Great Special Edition
on the shelves, but I feel that it's not going to happen. :(