Getting Ready for Donkey Kong

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
^ Consider me jealous. I ordered from Amazon, and didn't do one day, so it will be here on Monday. (Gives me time to finish my current game though.)
Can't wait to hear what you think of it
Same boat. That 5 bucks I saved isn't looking so hot right now.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
^ Consider me jealous. I ordered from Amazon, and didn't do one day, so it will be here on Monday. (Gives me time to finish my current game though.)
Can't wait to hear what you think of it
Same boat. That 5 bucks I saved isn't looking so hot right now.
I dot know why Repo but just reading that I burst into laughter!
=))

I just got a mental image of you waking up, knowing its time for DK and your excited. You go to your little "cash saved for DK" spot in your house. You rub your hands together knowing you saved enough. You open the box and there is only 5 bucks there. You think, "well that's not gonna work". Deflated you walk into the kitchen, get out a bowl and a spoon. Get out a bucket of vanilla ice cream and some sprinkles. You slowly dip ice cream out into the bowl, and after your 3rd dip you stop, put your head down, put up the sprinkles and decide for another topping......bourbon.

Then you threw out the ice cream after a few bourbon bites and throw out the ice cream and start slugging the liquor. You turn on some cartoons look at the clock and it's 9AM. You check the forums, see my post, take 2 more shots and post "same boat. The 5 bucks I saved isn't looking so hot" *post comment*

Hits more bourbon. Yeah I have an very active imagination sorry. X_X

repomech

:))

Hey, if by sprinkles you meant "bourbon" and by ice-cream you meant "more bourbon" you might be onto something. :p

But to clarify, I already bought the game on pre-order, I saved the five bucks by doing so through Amazon. The end result is that I won't get it until sometime next week though.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
:))

Hey, if by sprinkles you meant "bourbon" and by ice-cream you meant "more bourbon" you might be onto something. :p

But to clarify, I already bought the game on pre-order, I saved the five bucks by doing so through Amazon. The end result is that I won't get it until sometime next week though.
Damn that blows my who post outta wack now tho being that you actually got the game already.

Still funny as hell tho

repomech

That said So-Can, guess who has a brand spanking new still shrink wrapped copy of the Wonderful 101 sitting on the end of his media stand waiting to be busted open and experienced for the first time tonight after work? (that and Armored Core: Verdict Day - but I may be the only ACore fan on the forum)

That's right, first time W101... who's hitting the bourbon now big guy? :O)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
That said So-Can, guess who has a brand spanking new still shrink wrapped copy of the Wonderful 101 sitting on the end of his media stand waiting to be busted open and experienced for the first time tonight after work? (that and Armored Core: Verdict Day - but I may be the only ACore fan on the forum)

That's right, first time W101... who's hitting the bourbon now big guy? :O)
I can not wait to hear your impressions of that for real! Enjoy, let that one soak in and pay attention to the story, it creeps up on you and you may think it's all chessey but it turns out unbelievable.

Sip on that bourbon while enjoying W101 cause it's a slow burn that is just IMO wonderful.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ok I know like the knot on the back of my head this don't probably mean nothing.

BUT.........did anyone with the game find it disturbing that Retros name isn't found anywhere on the box, or inside the instruction booklet?

I find this extremly strange, cause you can bet your sweet ass if this was Metroid there company name would be plastered across the box everywhere.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
^
Just pulled out my old Prime 3 box. There is a grand total of one Retro Studios logo, quite small, located above the bar code. Looking through the instruction booklet now (man, I miss having nice instruction booklets), but I see a grand total of zero Retro Studios mentions in it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm on the same boat Repo is, except I got my $5 deal through NewEgg instead of Amazon, so hopefully I'll get the game sometime before the QOL platform comes out.

Goodtwin

I have played through the first world, and while this game feels solid, and should be another great DKC game, if the entire 100+ employees at Retro were working full time on this game, then Retro is no longer the caliber developer they were when they did the Prime Trilogy. DKC TF is good, but if this is Retro's only project, then I am disappointed. The visuals are nice, but overall it seems like the obvious evolution from Wii to Wii U. The gameplay mechanics are carried over, and a few of the little things are actually gone that I thought were rather neat in Returns. Nintendo was smart enough to price it at $50, because this is not a next gen $60 title. To many Indies are creating high level 2d platformers that sell digitally for less than $20, the days of Nintendo getting top dollar for a 2D plat former are going by the wayside quickly.

Like I said, I dont mean to bash the game, its a fine game, but in my heart I am really hoping that half the team at Retro has been working on something a little more exceptional this whole time, and will have something incredible to show at e3. In my mind, if DKC Returns was a 9.5 game on Wii, and Tropical Freeze is just more of the same on Wii U, that would bring my score down quite a bit. So far I would give this game a 7.5/10. Its solid, but doesnt seem to really outclass it predecessor in any meaningful way.

What things did you like that were in returns than in Tropical Freeze

Honestly I think the level design in TF is better than Donkey Kong Country Returns.

The game's full of tiny little easter eggs so that's cool. Retro's is attentive to detail as ever.

Retro's still the same retro regardless, I dont know where you're getting off on that.

DKCTF is like e the Mario Galaxy 2 of the DKC series

This guy likes it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH7Q13xpc6w

Goodtwin

I though the blowing mechanic was cool in Returns. Its not a make or break thing by any means, but it was something unique in Returns and is missing in Tropical Freeze. Im going to go play some one, perhaps it will impress me more as I progress through the game.

ZyroXZ2

Though my review of this game will air this coming Thurs, I WILL say that the game may not be situated to be much of a system seller, but having already beaten it, it's contrast to NSMBU makes it feel more unique than meets the eye (since people love lumping 2D platformers together).

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
The graphics.... The animation.... The old school feel.... The music.... The local multiplayer coop.... The short cuts, collectathons, bonus rounds and secret paths.... The bosses.... This game has everything you want in a SNES era type of remake.... It feels like a modern day SNES game in many ways.... And that is a good thing.... It's damn near perfect if you enjoy SNES era platformers....
RETRO is pure class.... This game is brimming with detail.... The controls feel tight.... The framerate is locked solid.... And it's probably the smoothest 2.5D platformer I have ever played.... Between this and Strider on STEAM.... I'm getting my fix of 2.5D goodness.... Time to download Strider....

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
the game's pretty awesome. Love the music, the detail, the challenge. It's oozing life and everything feel "tangible" if that makes sense...
Perfect sense RedHat, actually that's a pretty damn perfect description.

Goodtwin

This game is solid, but like COV I think the underwater gameplay is not the best. I hated the boss battle underwater. Some of the challenge in this game feels cheap. A lot of the pitfalls are easilly avoided the second time, but set you up to fail on the first time through. I stand by my 7.5 score. This is not the most ambitious platformer, and doesnt seem nearly as creative as Rayman Legends. Its good, its worth owning if you have a Wii U, but its far from a legit reason to buy the Wii U. If your a huge DKC fan, then you will like it. For everyone else, this is a good game, not a great game.

I do know what Goodtwin is saying in that sometimes the game does seem trail and error-y, but I constantly have 90+ balloons so it's essentially just try again.
I'm enjoying this more than Rayman Legends, because I stand by the fact that there were too many Murphy stages and solo play with those got tedious after awhile.

Legends is full of stages from Origins too.

I'd say that Tropical Freeze gonna Tropical Freeze y'know. David Wise rocking his tunes

Sure random shit pops out at times but it's not cheap

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/296/432/bbd.jpg

I mean just look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm5Pq_y7hfI

Anyway all this talk reminds me about Broken Age

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/TomBattey/20140129/209583/We_Need_to_Get_Over_Innovation.php?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29

After just unlocking everything and getting max percentage, I honestly think Retro could have another DK in the works. Unlockable images shows a lot of unused ideas from levels, mechanics and boss battles.
Maybe they're big enough to have two games on the go, so maybe they got something else and their "dk team" is at work getting the third one started. Time will tell

Goodtwin

Its not really cheap at all and the game's very forgiving, due to all the balloons...

But, opinions and shit.

To me an abundance of lives doesnt change the fact that there are cheap deaths. Such as platforms that gave little to no indication that they were about to fall. If you died the first time because there was no way you could know what was going to happen, and then easily make it through the second time thanks to this new knowledge, that means it was a cheap death in my book.

^Please no.
Even if it isn't Metroid, I NEED for them to do something else.
Apart of me doesn't want another Retro Metroid right now. Maybe I'm just a hipster, but I hate how some people just see them as "Metroid Team". I would like for them to create something entirely new. Their DK games don't get enough praise if you ask me, but it doesn't seem to be the popular choice.
Something new, that way everyone can shut up

Its not really cheap at all and the game's very forgiving, due to all the balloons...

But, opinions and shit.

To me an abundance of lives doesnt change the fact that there are cheap deaths. Such as platforms that gave little to no indication that they were about to fall. If you died the first time because there was no way you could know what was going to happen, and then easily make it through the second time thanks to this new knowledge, that means it was a cheap death in my book.

But, opinions and shit.

There are balloons and there are audio cues for falling platforms

ZyroXZ2

I just posted my video review of this game, if that will alter/affect anyone's intentions with this game, lol...
But I wanted to state that even though some people feel there's a trial-and-error to certain deaths in the game, it never felt cheap. There was ALWAYS some sort of visual or audio clue or hint as to what would happen next, whether it was a falling platform or something that was about to break underneath you, or that you had to keep moving forward, etc.
The game is definitely meant to be old-school challenging (which was almost ENTIRELY trial-and-error and a matter of memorizing patterns/practicing), and I think that's a good thing!

I just posted my video review of this game, if that will alter/affect anyone's intentions with this game, lol...
But I wanted to state that even though some people feel there's a trial-and-error to certain deaths in the game, it never felt cheap. There was ALWAYS some sort of visual or audio clue or hint as to what would happen next, whether it was a falling platform or something that was about to break underneath you, or that you had to keep moving forward, etc.
The game is definitely meant to be old-school challenging (which was almost ENTIRELY trial-and-error and a matter of memorizing patterns/practicing), and I think that's a good thing!
Yeah I watched your video, thats some ace footage you used, showed some of the absolutely magnificent level design in the game

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I finally started playing this game, and already I'm fatigued. I've done 2 worlds so far, almost 100% in each, and I already had to force myself to keep playing, because it all just feels like the fucking same old. Some levels have been really cool, with some awesome new ideas and such, but I'm just so freaking tired of platforming at this point. I wasn't agreeing with what Ex-Actarus was saying about the platforming genre breaching fatigue now, but then that's exactly what I've felt myself playing the game. I'm just so fucking sick of platformers.
As much as I'm sure many later levels in the game will be really cool, I just can't cope with the fact that this is what we're getting from Retro Studios after three and a half years, especially since what we got three and a half years ago was equally hard to believe as the thing we got three years after Prime 3. How can it be that it takes three and a half years for us to get another freaking Forest World 1 (in this case, Jungle World 1 and Forest World 2)? And from Retro Studios, who were probably the most celebrated developer 10 years ago!
And normally I could be told to "get over it because you're enjoying the game anyway", and that was usually true, but at this point I no longer find that joy. I enjoy the occasional cool level with fresh ideas, but otherwise I see myself plodding through every other level mechanically doing the same shit: bouncing on trampolines, swinging on vines, moving quickly through falling platforms, bouncing on moving enemies to reach the shiny doodad that is higher than a regular jump. None of that shit is new, and it continues to make up 95% of every one of these games. I don't think I'll be able to really enjoy a 2D platformer anymore unless a traumatic event makes me forget all my experience with these games. Or unless some developer goes and gets rid of all these game mechanic tropes and works from the ground up to make something completely fresh, but I doubt it.
I just hope Retro's next game is not a 2D platformer. I'll take anything but a freaking 2D platformer: an RTS, a visual novel, a freaking choose-your-own-adventure book, anything that isn't a freaking 2D platformer anymore.
I don't even regret the $60 the game cost me [EDIT: It was $45 actually, now that I think about it], I just hate how hard to enjoy it is for me, in spite of it obviously being so well made.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah that sucks Jueg for sure. Cause for me this could be one of the most awesome 2D platformer a ever made. I'm loving the length of the levels and the designs keeps throwing things at me that's amazing.

Goodtwin

@juegosmajicos

You said it better than I ever could. I am really hoping we get to see a glimpse of whatever Retro is currently working on, and I am really hoping its Metroid. If the DKC games has been their smaller projects, then yea, then that would be cool. There is no reason Retro Studios has been used to create 2D platformers for the past 7 years.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Ima have to disagree with both of you guys. It's like you can see the forest because of the trees.

You have Retro on this unGodly stand hand have such high hopes for them based on the Prime games. They were great, excellent even, but the DK games are aswell.

Is it what you wanted Obviiusly not, hell maybe not even what I wanted. It's retro tho right? Placing my feelings aside for what was built in Prime I have come to think of retro not only for Prime, but for building 2D DK games that IMO are greater than even the best of Nintendos 2D games.

You must realize being smart guys that they lost a ton of people after the Primes from Retro. Seeing what they have done to break these people in with DK:TF is extremly encouraging to me cause man guys this game is like I said could be the best 2D platformer I have played ever and I'm just to world 3.

And Retro said there making another game, but what if there not and it's just PR talk? And what if it's another DK game? Even tho there fantastic could you get over the fact of "THIS IS WHAT RETRO IS MAKING!?!"

Like it or not your gonna have to ajust your view of Retro into 3 different parts. 1. There amazing devs. 2. They make Prime 3. They make DK. And all of them are amazing thus far so I'm extremly excited for Retro then, now and moving into the future.

/2 cents

The reason I cancelled my DKC:TF pre-order, other than money, was because it was a platformer. I have played some lately and still have some to play, so I'm getting the game later in the year despite how excited I am for it.

I wrote a whole article on my feelings, but if Retro "wastes" their time on DK, then I hope their next game isn't "wasting" their time with Prime 4 just because.
I don't see anyone complaining that Tokyo EAD made 3D Land and 3D World after making two Galaxy games. Yet here we are, Retro shouldn't be able to touch 2D games again because they get special treatment? It's not like they're the only good developers Nintendo has anymore.

People shouldn't be moaning at Retro for making DKC, but they do. It comes from thier high quality of titles and the fact they are pretty much the 'revival' Nintendo team.

I just hate how some people feel "betrayed" or like Retro owes them. Maybe after three Metroid games (that in all honestly play very similar to each other) some people are sick of Retro Metroid games. Maybe after 4 years of working on 3D Land and 3D World people are upset at Tokyo EAD.
I'll admit that another 2D platformer is not what the Wii U needed right now, but I don't give a damn about what it needs, or if this is what Retro is making, I'm glad I got it and that it's polished and great. No need to look down on Retro for creating two near perfect games.
I just want to be happy about DK, which I am, but I'm sick of coming on the internet with people crying over it. I know some people here may not like DK, but they're open to the fact that others like it and that they're good games, I buy call of duty cause of you guys, even though it's just another FPS. Some people here play Monster Hunter, I don't but I'm happy they enjoy it. If you know you're not gonna enjoy DK, just don't buy it, don't just buy it cause it has Retro's name on it then complain that THIS IS WHAT THEIR DOING?

Goodtwin

If Nintendo doesnt offer experiences akin to the Metroid Prime games, then I will probably move on to Sony. I dont have issues with 2d platformers, I like them actually, but when they replace experinces akin to the Prime games, thats when I get upset. Yes Retro did have some turn over, but they have also picked up a lot of talent. This year is going to be good, Bayonetta 2 and X both look like the kind of experiences I have been looking for.
@MattavelleYou know how you were dissapointed in Mario 3D World, I feel that way about DKC TF, it just doesnt seem all that great. Its good, but I dont see its greatness at all.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
He's the thing tho I expect 10x outta Mario and Nintendo of Japan EAD and Mario 3D was just dead a boring, nothing exciting in any of the levels. I do not expect this outta Retro, I expect a great solid game outta them and usually they deliver more.

As for moving to Sony that's on you if you don't get a Metroid. If I had that mentality about F-Zero I would have left long ago, but with Nintendo I always stay patient cause I know it will come and will more than likely be fantastic. Mario 3D is the first let down I have ever really had from Nintendo honestly. The "they owe me or I'll move on mentality" IMO has always never worked well for anyone for 2 reasons.

1. You keep holding non perfect things to perfect standards and nobody or thing will achieve this all the time.

2. You leve for something else looking for a certain experience and guess what, it's never quite what you wanted cause it's not the same game. There for nobody wins and you hold other companies to a standard they can't achieve either.