Getting Ready for Donkey Kong

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I was considering buying the game, but luckily there's a DKCTF demo up at my local Best Buy. Just spent about half an hour playing it. Meh. I was thoroughly underwhelmed, but I've never seen what the big deal is with any of the DKC games to begin with, so this one is pretty par for the course, I suppose.

You know how you were dissapointed in Mario 3D World, I feel that way about DKC TF, it just doesnt seem all that great. Its good, but I dont see its greatness at all.

I think that's a fair comparison. Games just don't resonate the same with everyone. I loved the hell out of 3D World and think it's brilliant, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to agree with me.

I just hate how some people feel "betrayed" or like Retro owes them.
I don't feel betrayed. I just wish they were making something I'd genuinely wanna buy (which I don't think is totally unreasonable). But, y'know, maybe next time.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I wrote a whole article on my feelings, but if Retro "wastes" their time on DK, then I hope their next game isn't "wasting" their time with Prime 4 just because.
I don't see anyone complaining that Tokyo EAD made 3D Land and 3D World after making two Galaxy games. Yet here we are, Retro shouldn't be able to touch 2D games again because they get special treatment? It's not like they're the only good developers Nintendo has anymore.
...uhh...dude. Plenty were complaining about 3D Land and 3D World. Even here, there are people that aren't exactly fans of those games. But for the rest, yeah, I feel you. The reaction to Retro Studios working on Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was just pathetic. I would've preferred another Metroid title or new IP but it's not as if Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze wasn't going to be a quality title

I never said names, so I didn't mean you guys, and you're free to say if DKC isn't for you, that's not my point.
And I do think it's a bit different with Mario 3D and DKC. I just used it as an example, but i mean, 3D World won our site's GOTY along with 3 or 4 other awards (before we disqualified it). DKC:TF may be my GOTY, but it's not gonna come close in the votes, so there are people who like 3D World, and I don't remember the reaction being as pathetic towards that as DKC. But like I said, I used it as an example because I don't see a lot of "my gawd Tokyo EAD is working on this?" comments where as it seems Retro is "now not that developer they used to be" melodrama.
At the end of the day, I love DKC and I hope people can respect that. As for me, I would like if Retro worked on something new. Tropical Freeze taught me that Retro's best titles are their "first" ones. Metroid Prime 2 and 3 were more of the same and TF was more of the same as well. Something new plx, but I'll take anything. They haven't lost their touch

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
And I do think it's a bit different with Mario 3D and DKC. I just used it as an example, but i mean, 3D World won our site's GOTY along with 3 or 4 other awards (before we disqualified it). DKC:TF may be my GOTY, but it's not gonna come close in the votes, so there are people who like 3D World, and I don't remember the reaction being as pathetic towards that as DKC. But like I said, I used it as an example because I don't see a lot of "my gawd Tokyo EAD is working on this?" comments where as it seems Retro is "now not that developer they used to be" melodrama.
At the end of the day, I love DKC and I hope people can respect that. As for me, I would like if Retro worked on something new. Tropical Freeze taught me that Retro's best titles are their "first" ones. Metroid Prime 2 and 3 were more of the same and TF was more of the same as well. Something new plx, but I'll take anything. They haven't lost their touch
While the reaction wasn't as...sad, it was still very much the same, just to a lesser extent
Now this I can agree with. Metroid Prime 2 and 3, as great as they are, never quite matched up to Metroid Prime, although Tropical Freeze looks even better than Returns, at least to me. I wouldn't mind it if Retro revived another IP or made a new one of their own. Either would work out great

I do think TF is a better product than Returns, I think I may like Returns more personally in the same way I may like the first mega man, pikmin or prime just because they were first.
I think if they make another Metroid the argument of the week would be "fail to capture what made prime so good blah blah retro lost it doesn't match up"
Maybe I'm just bitter today

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I do think TF is a better product than Returns, I think I may like Returns more personally in the same way I may like the first mega man, pikmin or prime just because they were first.
I think if they make another Metroid the argument of the week would be "fail to capture what made prime so good blah blah retro lost it doesn't match up"
Maybe I'm just bitter today
Oh yeah, now THAT I can definitely imagine

Goodtwin

@mattavelle1 Its not a threat to Nintendo, but I have never felt like I might need another console, but if Nintendo doesnt start delivering more core gamer experiences, I may start looking elsewhere. If I were to start looking at more and more third party games I would naturally want a PS4. Nintendo own games have always been my bread and butter, but if that were to change then I would buy the hardware that delivers the best multi plat experiences.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm not even talking about whether it's right that Retro is or isn't making more 2D platformers. I'm saying that I personally am sick as hell of platformers and don't want to see any more for years to come, and so I hope Retro's next game is anything BUT a platformer.
I wrote a whole article on my feelings, but if Retro "wastes" their time on DK, then I hope their next game isn't "wasting" their time with Prime 4 just because.
I don't see anyone complaining that Tokyo EAD made 3D Land and 3D World after making two Galaxy games.
Yet here we are, Retro shouldn't be able to touch 2D games again because they get special treatment? It's not like they're the only good developers Nintendo has anymore.
Huh? Plenty of people here were complaining about 3D World since it was first announced, hell Menashe even had an existential crisis because of it, and the staff's morale went through such lows after that E3 that the site itself was on shaky ground for a while. I personally always disliked that it was a retread and a perfection of what Nintendo had already done so many times, instead of breaking any new ground like Super Mario 64 did.
EDIT: wrote that last response before reading the rest of the thread.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Doesn't Metroid have platforming :-S

IF they ever even make another Metroid I hope they use many of the elements from DK cause it's just so smooth. Don't like platformer a or tired of them, well don't play them lol. Surely people were getting tired of them well before DK:TF. With this game it didn't just "hit you" that OMG I'm tired of platforming.

And did it occur to anyone that Retro might make something totally off the wall like the shocker that was DK:R? In this day were not dealing with the same Nintendo. They are so unpredictable and I think that drives people crazy to the max.

@mattavelle1 Its not a threat to Nintendo, but I have never felt like I might need another console, but if Nintendo doesnt start delivering more core gamer experiences, I may start looking elsewhere. If I were to start looking at more and more third party games I would naturally want a PS4. Nintendo own games have always been my bread and butter, but if that were to change then I would buy the hardware that delivers the best multi plat experiences.
Go PC, man or get a 3DS (No seriously, get a 3DS before a PC. With a 3DS and Wii U, I don't really need a PC, but I still want to play some of those 3rd party games).

You're not getting the complete Nintendo package if you just own one of their systems. There simply aren't enough games on Wii U (or any other console for the matter) to justify only owning that. At least that's how I feel.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
It was hitting me for a bit, but when it really dawned on me was when I got my copy of the game in the mail, and I felt like "shit, I have to play through another one of these".
Like I said since my first post, the game is really well made. What bothers me is not that it isn't, it's that in the end it is another platformer like the ones I've been playing yearly since the release of New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's the same swinging vines, bouncing on trampolines shit.
It really well made, I never denied that, I just wish it was fresher than that, or that it was a different genre entirely.

I own NSMBW, but I never got past world 3. I just... didn't feel the need to keep going lol. I never played DKCR. I own Super Mario Galaxy 2, but haven't gotten past world 2. I own NSMBU, but never finished it yet. I also own Super Mario 3D World and wrote a really positive editorial for it. Haven't picked it up since the week it released.
I don't know what it is with me and platforming games. I bought these games and really enjoy them, but keep neglecting to actually finish them lol (Going back to the premise of another piece I wrote). The odd ones out are Super Mario Galaxy 1 and Super Mario 3D Land (Beat both bonus levels).

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I finally started playing this game, and already I'm fatigued. I've done 2 worlds so far, almost 100% in each, and I already had to force myself to keep playing, because it all just feels like the fucking same old. Some levels have been really cool, with some awesome new ideas and such, but I'm just so freaking tired of platforming at this point. I wasn't agreeing with what Ex-Actarus was saying about the platforming genre breaching fatigue now, but then that's exactly what I've felt myself playing the game. I'm just so fucking sick of platformers.
As much as I'm sure many later levels in the game will be really cool, I just can't cope with the fact that this is what we're getting from Retro Studios after three and a half years, especially since what we got three and a half years ago was equally hard to believe as the thing we got three years after Prime 3. How can it be that it takes three and a half years for us to get another freaking Forest World 1 (in this case, Jungle World 1 and Forest World 2)? And from Retro Studios, who were probably the most celebrated developer 10 years ago!
And normally I could be told to "get over it because you're enjoying the game anyway", and that was usually true, but at this point I no longer find that joy. I enjoy the occasional cool level with fresh ideas, but otherwise I see myself plodding through every other level mechanically doing the same shit: bouncing on trampolines, swinging on vines, moving quickly through falling platforms, bouncing on moving enemies to reach the shiny doodad that is higher than a regular jump. None of that shit is new, and it continues to make up 95% of every one of these games. I don't think I'll be able to really enjoy a 2D platformer anymore unless a traumatic event makes me forget all my experience with these games. Or unless some developer goes and gets rid of all these game mechanic tropes and works from the ground up to make something completely fresh, but I doubt it.
I just hope Retro's next game is not a 2D platformer. I'll take anything but a freaking 2D platformer: an RTS, a visual novel, a freaking choose-your-own-adventure book, anything that isn't a freaking 2D platformer anymore.
I don't even regret the $60 the game cost me [EDIT: It was $45 actually, now that I think about it], I just hate how hard to enjoy it is for me, in spite of it obviously being so well made.
Take a break, come back to it later

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Then get a PC numnuts

Seriously Do you want Metroid Prime or do you want something new? Because you wont always like Metroid Prime someone puts out.

Just saying lol.

@Goodtwin But seriously, what the hell do you mean by "core gamer experiences" You dont know what Sony's gonna give you. Nintendo doesnt have to give you PRIME to give you"skilled gamer games" so I dont even know where you're going with that shit.

I dont know sometimes I feel like people pull from a book titled " stereotypical surface logic" and just fish in those shallow waters when trying to make a point or communicate how they feel and not question and think on WHY they feel like that and expect people to take that at face value.

That shit is weird to me honestly.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

It was hitting me for a bit, but when it really dawned on me was when I got my copy of the game in the mail, and I felt like "shit, I have to play through another one of these".
Like I said since my first post, the game is really well made. What bothers me is not that it isn't, it's that in the end it is another platformer like the ones I've been playing yearly since the release of New Super Mario Bros Wii, it's the same swinging vines, bouncing on trampolines shit.
It really well made, I never denied that, I just wish it was fresher than that, or that it was a different genre entirely.
Well let me give you some of my perspective.

What you're saying about DK would be how some peopel react when they hear "Shooter" these days. Whether it be Vanquish, Metro Last light, Binary Domain, Fuck even Metroid prime. All completely different. But they're nothing like Quake or Doom Which have no modern equivalent. DKCTF is a PURE platformer ( which frankly I dont always enjoy if I feel they lack depth, because I can boil it down to Point a to point b with pointless backtracking (yaaaay castlevania) so its like you take on of those old school era games ( Quake /Doom) , and you completely modernize it into something new that taps that feeling you get, when perhaps you played DKC for the first time on the SNES. Or maybe when you opened up that copy of A Link To the Past. ( Then Played Wind Waker :p)

Mario and DK, RAyman, they play completely different, they feel different, their objectives and pacing are completely different physics.

I dont enjoy collectathon elements unless I feel like Im really "earning" something. So I enjoy Nintendo's stamp system in 3DWorld though , pretty much why I hate AC4's collection elements.

Its kinda funny but I dont really like adventure platformers I guess. I do like Spyro though.

Shit you see some of the incredible level design in this game in

Truly I feel its the best 2D platformer I ever played, I feel bad if you cant enjoy it. But hey that's why I took a break from platformers in general last gen.

How you feel Is probably how I feel when I look at all these Indie platformers popping up on the WiiU though LOL.

Goodtwin

@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

You dont get it it bro. I have listened to your BS for weeks now. I dont know why your on this "Nintendo can do no wrong kick", but you sound like a Nintendo fanboy lately, and thats coming from a Nintendo fan. Obviously my current feelings arent based on one game. Where the fuck are games like F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Star Fox, and Metroid? Seriously, if Nintendo is making all the right moves then why did the PS4 outsell the Wii U in a few months? Why are sales back to early 2013 levels, which are atrocious. Keep living in a dream world where everything is great for Nintendo, and everything they toss your way is the greatest thing ever. LOL

EvilTw1n

Its not a threat to Nintendo, but I have never felt like I might need another console, but if Nintendo doesnt start delivering more core gamer experiences, I may start looking elsewhere. If I were to start looking at more and more third party games I would naturally want a PS4. Nintendo own games have always been my bread and butter, but if that were to change then I would buy the hardware that delivers the best multi plat experiences.

I guess Miyamoto-san wasn't kidding when he said they were having some growing pains on entering the HD era. I suppose it's just easier to transition first with some platformers, and hopefully there's some more variety in the pipeline.

(If I were gonna buy another console, I'd go for a PS3 or 3DS. They have amazing gaming libraries.)

Doesn't Metroid have platforming :-S
Sure, and you can find the odd platforming section in Zelda. It's just not the whole she-bang.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I don't get why people complain about not getting Wave Race, F-Zero, 1080, and Star Fox and then ignore Punch Out!, Sin and Punishment, Kid Icarus, and Xenoblade Chronicles. Nintendo kinda makes whatever franchise they want per generation, aside from the usual Metroid, 3D Mario platformer, Mario RPG, Zelda, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, etc.
As for Metroid, well we got 3 last gen and got one nearly 3 1/2 years ago. It's far from dead and we should see at least 1, if not 2, this generation. The problem is that it's not as popular as some of Nintendo's franchises and, considering the state of the Wii-U, it makes more sense to get those out and then their more niche titles like Metroid

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
But it's a lot of the she-bang getting from area to area in Metroid is far from linear.
All I know is that I'm not just swinging on vines and bouncing on trampolines when I play Metroid. Even with Other M, there were perspective switches, puzzles, 1v1 fights and crowd fights, morphball sections, and sequential upgrades that kept changing the way the game was played, including the platforming if you take into account the speed booster and screw attack.
With Donkey Kong, it's just level 1 jungle with vines, level 2 forest with trampolines, level 3 falling platforms, level 4 rotating platforms, and so on. The only break of pace are the minecart and rocket levels. It's fine, and it's really so well made, but it's like vanilla ice cream, and if you've had a lot of vanilla ice cream, you can't get excited for more. Metroid is more like a 3-course meal, with a bit of cookies'n'cream ice cream to top it off. It makes it hard to complain about the ice cream when you've just finished your plates of pasta, brisket, and mashed potatoes.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I feel that same way about DK. It's so fresh in the 2D platforming relem what I've played so far is flawless. Weither it be vines, trampolines whatever it's a tough game and tons of fun with excellent execution and beautiful environments, again much like Metroid. I guess I can separate my feelings from each one and totally enjoy the different experience that Retro is giving me.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
No doubt, and obviously I wish I was in the same boat. The game is so freaking well made, but I just have a hard time with it because I'm tired of platformers. Like yesterday, I played the first Savannah level, and it's got all this super hype shit in it, the enemies move in sync with the music, the challenge is there, and at the end I only got 4 out of 7 puzzle pieces so obviously I got stuff left to see in that level.
I guess the Ice Cream metaphor works, but if I'm a guy with burned tongue. Like I had too much ice cream, so the cold and the sweet have numbed my tongue and I can't taste what DKC tastes like. It might just be that SM3DWorld and DKC:TF released too close to one another for me.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

You dont get it it bro. I have listened to your BS for weeks now. I dont know why your on this "Nintendo can do no wrong kick", but you sound like a Nintendo fanboy lately, and thats coming from a Nintendo fan. Obviously my current feelings arent based on one game. Where the fuck are games like F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Star Fox, and Metroid? Seriously, if Nintendo is making all the right moves then why did the PS4 outsell the Wii U in a few months? Why are sales back to early 2013 levels, which are atrocious. Keep living in a dream world where everything is great for Nintendo, and everything they toss your way is the greatest thing ever. LOL
So is that what you resort to when people are trying to have a discussion and you cant bring up some solid points regarding the way you're presenting your viewpoint?

Because again it just sounds like retread.

Speak Goody, be real because you're not really getting anywhere with that stereotypical talk.

Dont get snippy with me,I dont give a shit what I sound like.

Im asking you what it is that you really want, because a persons expectations and reality are almost never in sync.

Goodtwin

@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

So is that what you resort to when people are trying to have a discussion and you cant bring up some solid points regarding the way you're presenting your viewpoint?

Speak Goody, be real because you're not really getting anywhere with that stereotypical talk.

Im asking you what it is that you really want, because a persons expectations and reality are almost never in sync.

What are you even bringing up, I have my criticisms of Nintendo and one of their games in particular, as well as how they are using one of their most talented studios, and your whole argument is that I am somehow wrong. Your whole attitude has been that any criticism towards Nintendo is unfounded and unfair. Do I have expectations? Your damn right I do, the games arent free. We are talking $50 to $60 per game. Im a reasonable guy, if you can make some solid points I can respect that as I always have on this forum. I dont discriminate,even if I dont typically agree with a members stand on things, if they make a good point, I can give it a like. With DKC TF, yes I may be a bit for critical because I know its Retro, but why not. Do you honestly thing that people wouldnt be up in arms in Naughty Dog did a Crash Bandicoot game instead of the next Last of Us games? The 2D platforming genre is being taking care of by Indie developers, I dont need Retro Studios doing another one. If your a huge 2d platforming fan, then Wii U is a phenomenal console, but if your into adventure games, RPG's. and shooters, its much more limited, and its future looks even more bleak.

Am I a bit salty right now about DKC TF? Yep, I probably am, but that doesnt make me wrong. The Nintendo community has been a bit to passive on Nintendo's short comings. Instead of being pissed about what Nintendo isnt offering, they have been inclined to be grateful for what they have offered. Wake the fuck up, we pay them our money, we can have an opinion. How many times has Nintendo blown us away with innovative software. Mario 64, Zelda OoT, and Metroid Prime all changed gaming. They arent doing that lately. They exploited the casual gamer with Wii Sports, and that was cool, but where are they now? I like Wii Sports, but do I want another Wii Sports if I know its going to replace the next Zelda game? Of course not. DKC TF replaced a project that could have been much more ambitious.

What do I want? I want a lineup as robust and compelling as the one I saw on the N64 and Gamecube. I want to be blown away like I was with Mario 64 and Zelda OoT. I want to have the new sense of adventure that Zelda WW and Metroid Prime offered. I want to be impressed. I feel like Nintendo is in this rut where they are playing it so safe, and are not taking enough chances. I think Nintendo fans would be better off if we voiced our opinions. Its kind of a like a relationship, you can stay quiet and then pack your shit one day and leave, or you can voice your opinion and see if there is any middle ground. I want Nintendo to succeed, I want to happily pay them money for software that I can get excited about, but I refuse to be a drone who thinks Nintendo always knows best, and whatever they put on my plate is what I will happily eat.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I will say this an it will be as simple and short as possible to Goodtwin.

You can feel like that there's no problem there. For myself I don't feel that way, and I don't feel like I'm just eating what they feed me. I'm genuinely happy with the games I'm getting on WiiU. Please don't twist that with being complacent and not bitching cause I'm not getting certain games. I'm not bitching cause I'm playing the heck outta what I got and what they have brought I've been more than pleased with (obviously outside of 3DWorld but I thought it would be amazing I'm still happy that I bought it).

@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

Wake the fuck up, we pay them our money, we can have an opinion.
I don't mean to get involved, but small contradiction. If Wii U 'has no gaemz,' then we must not be paying them at all. Contrary to what some hardcore fan critics might believe, we're not forced to give them our money. I mean, I'm more than capable of purchasing tropical freeze -- I walk around with $100+ in disposable cash every day for peat sake -- but look who bought the game first. You did. That's on you buddy. The best way to speak is with your wallet.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Well Laer, Goodtwin has a point. Sometimes people need to let out their frustrations every now and again and, well, right now Goodtwin just needs to let it out. No need to badger him over it. He hasn't said it in a way that deserves as such. I don't quite agree with him as I can count all of the innovative successful 3D systems on one hand but he feels how he feels and there's nothing you or I can do to change that

Well Laer, Goodtwin has a point. Sometimes people need to let out their frustrations every now and again and, well, right now Goodtwin just needs to let it out. No need to badger him over it. He hasn't said in a way that deserves such. I don't quite agree as I can count all of the innovative successful 3D systems on one hand but he feels how he feels and there's nothing you or I can do to change that
And yeah. Come on, Laer. As an enthusiast, you know you've wanted to take a swing at Nintendo a few times just for being in this position. It doesn't even have to be rational.
http://i.imgur.com/yaiYn7d.jpg

Goodtwin

You can feel like that there's no problem there. For myself I don't feel that way, and I don't feel like I'm just eating what they feed me. I'm genuinely happy with the games I'm getting on WiiU. Please don't twist that with being complacent and not bitching cause I'm not getting certain games. I'm not bitching cause I'm playing the heck outta what I got and what they have brought I've been more than pleased with (obviously outside of 3DWorld but I thought it would be amazing I'm still happy that I bought it).
I dont mean to impose my opinion on anyone. You of all people know me, so I dont intend to pigeonhole those who have been entirely happy with Nintendo's offering on Wii U. Feelings are always valid right, so if I feel that Nintendo fucked up by having Retro work on a 2D platformer that feels like a DKC Returns rehash, it doesnt make me wrong (or right). I bought DKC TF genuinely wanting to love it. I wanted to feel like Nintendo proved me wrong and Retro making another DKC game was the best decision ever. I dont feel that way at all. Very disappointing. So no, I dont intend to offend anyone who does really enjoy DKC TF, or the whole Wii U offering as a whole. My opinion is my opinion. Its not right or wrong, but its always valid.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018

I dont mean to impose my opinion on anyone. You of all people know me, so I dont intend to pigeonhole those who have been entirely happy with Nintendo's offering on Wii U. Feelings are always valid right, so if I feel that Nintendo fucked up by having Retro work on a 2D platformer that feels like a DKC Returns rehash, it doesnt make me wrong (or right). I bought DKC TF genuinely wanting to love it. I wanted to feel like Nintendo proved me wrong and Retro making another DKC game was the best decision ever. I dont feel that way at all. Very disappointing. So no, I dont intend to offend anyone who does really enjoy DKC TF, or the whole Wii U offering as a whole. My opinion is my opinion. Its not right or wrong, but its always valid.
We can respect that man

I for one, actually agree with you and Ex on the whole 2D platformer thing. I do think it's overdone, esp. with indies on the scene like you said. Unfortunately for critics, they can't just mark down a game because it isn't another game (lol could you imagine that? 5/10, not Metroid).
I think Nintendo's heard loud in clear though. If Retro was working on another DK, I think a lot of people will be done.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I wouldn't mind this DKC:TF so much if these guys were in:

The appeal of old DKC and new DKC is completely different. Old DKC wasn't about time attacks, it was about all these fresh ideas in a platforming game. Squawks, Squitter, and Enguarde were always awesome to use because they completely changed the platforming mechanics, and thus the level design. Bramble Blast was an awesome level not just because of the cool visuals and music, but because it was a different kind of stage: a barrel blast exploration level, or a squawks exploration level capped off with a race to the finish, and so on.
Then there's the level themes. DKC2, in my opinion the best of the old bunch, had all sorts of crazy levels. There were ice caves, rollercoasters, massive bee colonies, thickets of huge thorny branches, huge pirate ships, and if there was a forest or a swamp, it was haunted. DKC:TF, so far, has had a jungle, a forest, a savannah, and a beach.
Even the barrel bonus levels used to be so much more varied. There were "collect the token", "grab the stars", "destroy the enemies", and other kinds of challenges, so that it always felt new. In DKC:TF, it's just moving trampolines and bananas, every single time.
It feels like Retro traded the variety and sometimes relatively open exploration of the old DKC games for tighter controls and obstacle courses that lend themselves to time attacks. Back when DKC:R came out I didn't mind it as much (but I did always say it's weakness was not having the kind of great level themes that old DKC games had), because it was the first DKC we had gotten in ages, and it was a small but welcome deviation from the Mario games we had continued to get. But now that we have even more Mario games on the belt, this game still being so narrow in its gameplay is just not good for me. Obviously it's great for some, or many, but for me right now it's the opposite of what I wish I was getting in platforming games.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

SIliconera has a nice bit about the game

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/02/every-area-donkey-kong-country-tropical-freeze-tells-story/

But yeah that part about Time attack is true, even if you look at the bonus level's ( which are all time attacks. lol)

@Goodtwin Yo that's cool man, If Im criticizing anything its your approach, to it, I get that your venting and by all means you should, its just the way you sounded compelled me to respond, mainly because some things you've said sound like they were pulled out of a certain confused review that contradicts itself all over the god damn place.

I dunno, I dont like people coping out for some stereotypical, same old form of expressing their criticisms when they cant communicate it properly.

We rocking on the same wavelength now?

Goodtwin

I havent read any reviews for DKC TF so my opinions are 100% my own. Like I said, I dont view it as a bad game, I just view it as a waste of one of Nintendo's elite development teams. If you love this game to no end, then of course your not going to agree with that assessment. The Metroid Prime series is one of my favorite in gaming history. Im not a big Metroid fan, I am a huge Prime fan. Yes my expectations are very high for them. Why shouldnt they be, should Sony gamers not have high expectations for Naughty Dog. We definitely dont rock the same wave length, you and I are both Nintendo fans, but we seem to be worlds apart on our views of Nintendo right now. I honestly dont have anything against you personally, but it seems like our opinions have been like oil and water, and dont mix for shit.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I havent read any reviews for DKC TF so my opinions are 100% my own. Like I said, I dont view it as a bad game, I just view it as a waste of one of Nintendo's elite development teams. If you love this game to no end, then of course your not going to agree with that assessment. The Metroid Prime series is one of my favorite in gaming history. Im not a big Metroid fan, I am a huge Prime fan. Yes my expectations are very high for them. Why shouldnt they be, should Sony gamers not have high expectations for Naughty Dog. We definitely dont rock the same wave length, you and I are both Nintendo fans, but we seem to be worlds apart on our views of Nintendo right now. I honestly dont have anything against you personally, but it seems like our opinions have been like oil and water, and dont mix for shit.
Long as we understand each other XD

Lol it weirded me out a couple weeks a go made a post about something on the WiiU sales thread and it sounded like you were quoting EDGE verbatim.

Goodtwin

Long as we understand each other XD

Lol it weirded me out a couple weeks a go made a post about something on the WiiU sales thread and it sounded like you were quoting EDGE verbatim.

I dont read Edge magazine or go to their website. But that is a perfect example of you writing off my opinion as if I have been brain washed by a website or magazine. That's why I struggle with your responses, if I say something critical you automatically assume that its actually someone else's opinion that is only being made with intent to slander Nintendo and the Wii U. There is plenty of of bashing and slandering the Wii U going on from haters who love to see Nintendo and the Wii U struggle, but just because some of those comments are made with ill intent, doesnt mean they are completely fabricated. I have been gaming with Nintendo since 1989. I have seen Nintendo salvage bad situations before, but the picture being painted isnt to pretty right now. DKC TF being a good game or not wont change the fact that its not selling hardware, and Nintendo desperately needs compelling software to move hardware. Not even for third party support at this point, that ship has sailed, but for its own future titles and the health of their company.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/03/03/retro-studios-says-well-be-lucky-to-someday-return-to-metroid/

Hmmmmm seems I said something about this just the other day.

Doesn't Metroid have platforming

IF they ever even make another Metroid I hope they use many of the elements from DK cause it's just so smooth. Don't like platformer a or tired of them, well don't play them lol. Surely people were getting tired of them well before DK:TF. With this game it didn't just "hit you" that OMG I'm tired of platforming.

And did it occur to anyone that Retro might make something totally off the wall like the shocker that was DK:R? In this day were not dealing with the same Nintendo. They are so unpredictable and I think that drives people crazy to the max.

Yep I think I did

@juegosmajicos
@Goodtwin
@Mike D.
@Jacesonnall
@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu
@CitizenOfVerona

I'm on an @ roll and I don't know who else to get lol.

EvilTw1n

I'm on an @ roll and I don't know who else to get lol.
I didn't respond on the platforming in 'Troid exchange earlier because I thought majico pretty much channeled exactly what I thought.
("All I know is that I'm not just swinging on vines and bouncing on trampolines when I play Metroid. Even with Other M, there were perspective switches, puzzles, 1v1 fights and crowd fights, morphball sections, and sequential upgrades that kept changing the way the game was played, including the platforming if you take into account the speed booster and screw attack.")

And I don't wanna rain on anyone's DKC:TF parade. What I played ain't my bag (DKC never has been), just like 3D World wasn't yours. S'all good.

On Retro making another Metroid, I'm down. Not my very first choice, but I'll take any damn thing I can at this point. If they were to make a 2D entry, I think they could do some really interesting stuff with the barrel blasts turned into morphball cannons. It would be like SkyTown. You could use the GamePad map to point at exactly where you wanted to be shot to in morphball form, and you could make a multi-tiered world like that.

...OK, damnit, Retro needs to make a 2D Metroid set in SkyTown. NOW.

I'm down with something new. I love the Prime trilogy, but I just don't want to see Prime 4 with a BS explanation about how Phazon lives on or seeing Dark Samus again. Seriously, Nintendo gotta get over the whole "dark protagonist" thing.
But I would love to see another FPS Prime, even if it's sorta like Prime Hunters, a title that tells us it's back to FPS Metroid, but not of the main trilogy.
Anyways, every Retro game I played is damn near 10/10, so basically they can make whatever they want and I'm sure it'll be great.
@mattavelle1 no one likes a know-it-all :x
@Mike D. Wait...so you want a 2D Metroid from Retro? As in, 50 bucks one dimension less than 3? Where's EvilTwin at?

EvilTw1n

@Mike D. Wait...so you want a 2D Metroid from Retro? As in, 50 bucks one dimension less than 3? Where's EvilTwin at?

If it featured the type of level design and progression structure of Super, of course. You know me. :p

Ummmmmm ET did you not read the link? You post says you didn't lol. Retro "we would be lucky to do Metroid again"
Ummm...yes, I read it, lol.

And then I responded to what you posted - "IF they ever even make another Metroid I hope they use many of the elements from DK."
(I'm saying yes, there could be elements within DKC that could perhaps be transferable to a 2D Metroid, specifically with an environment like SkyTown.)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Anyways, every Retro game I played is damn near 10/10, so basically they can make whatever they want and I'm sure it'll be great.

OH @CitizenOfVerona you and I we ride the same wave. This quote is money, exactly how I feel. >:D

Only exception I'll allow: Donkey Kong 64 2 (DKU?)

That game world was massive for it's time. At least based on how I remember it as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=206dhjIY29w

If it featured the type of level design and progression structure of Super, of course. You know me. :p
I'm just surprised honestly, I remember you going on saying you dislike the idea of paying full price for 2D games

EvilTw1n

I'm just surprised honestly, I remember you going on saying you dislike the idea of paying full price for 2D games
For purely a 2D platformer, yes, because it's such a crowded field, with such a big backlog (I haven't even gotten around to Rayman Origins yet, let alone Legends) and so many retro platformers I never even got around to playing or beating. But I was even going to give DKC:TF a shot at $50, despite not being a big fan of the DKC series. If it really tickled my fancy with the half hour I spent with it, I would've gone to the counter at Best Buy and purchased it. Just didn't work out that way.