God Shattering Star - 2020 Games Completed Thread

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

This thread is for one very specific purpose; to keep track of all the games we complete during the year of 2020. Post the games you complete throughout the year and under the spoiler I'll do my best to have an up to date list of all the games you post in here. (up to date process will probably be once a week)

Mega Man X (NS)
Control (XB1)
Samurai Aces (NS)
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (NS)
Doom (OG) (360)
Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (XB1)
Metroid Zero Mission (Wii U)
Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)
Super Metroid (NS)
Metroid Fusion (Wii U)
Darksiders Genesis (NS)
Astral Chain (NS)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)
Resident Evil 4 (PS4)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate (NS)
Kirby Super Star (NS)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Wii)
Kirby's Dream Land (Wii)
Metroid: Other M (Wii)
Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)
Luigi's Mansion 3 (NS)
Far Cry (PC)

Please remember to type out your game title as Insert Game(Platform Abbreviation) (example: Mega Man 5 (NES)) Please do not italicize or bold it or anything like that, as it can bork the formatting.

Also, a game that is rereleased on a later platform (as in, Virtual Console or what have you) is counted as the platform the game was rereleased on. So Ocarina of Time on the Wii VC is counted as 'Ocarina of Time (Wii)' instead of 'Ocarina of Time (N64)'

(NES) Nintendo Entertainment System
(SNES) Super Nintendo Entertainment System
(N64) Nintendo 64
(GCN) Nintendo Gamecube
(Wii) Nintendo Wii
(Wii U) Nintendo Wii U
(NS) Nintendo Switch
(GB) Game Boy
(GBC) Game Boy Color
(GBA) Game Boy Advance
(VB) Virtual Boy
(DS) Nintendo DS
(3DS) Nintendo 3DS
(NESCL) Nintendo Classic
(SNESCL) Super Nintendo Classic

(PS1) Sony Playstation
(PS2) Playstation 2
(PS3) Playstation 3
(PS4) Playstation 4
(PS5) Playstation 5
(PSP) Playstation Portable
(Vita) Playstation Vita

(Xbox) Microsoft Xbox
(360) Xbox 360
(XB1) Xbox 1
(XSX) Xbox Series X

(Mobile) Games on Phones
(PC) Games on PC
(C64) Commodore 64

(WS) Wonderswan
(NG) Neogeo
(NGP) Neogeo Pocket
(NNG) Nokia NGage
(3DO) 3DO
(SMS) Sega Master System
(SG) Sega Genesis
(SS) Sega Saturn
(DC) Sega Dreamcast
(GG) Sega Game Gear
(SGM) Sega Genesis Mini

What counts as a completed game? This is mostly open to personal judgement, but if you see a credits sequence more than likely I'll say you've beaten the game (fighting games being an exception due to their nature, however they can be completed if you beat a dedicated story mode and/or the arcade mode with all characters). Episodic games only count after you finish the last part of the game, although there are some exceptions to this. Certain expansions, spinoffs, or DLC's can count as their own game, but a lot of times I would prefer to stick them on as an addendum to the main game instead of their own thing (so that means if you've beaten the main game this year, let me know that you have so I can put the DLC being completed on the same entry as the main one).

An asterisk * denotes a second+ playthrough (in the year of 2020). For example, if I beat Mega Man 5 in January 2020 and March 2020, I'd get the *, but if I beat it in December 2019 and March 20120 it would just be put up normally.

-Note- I either have to know you from another site before you joined TNE or you have to have had a semi active account for six months to be included on this list. (so basically all the old TNE crew is fine. This is just a note for potential new members)

Praise Grima Every Day

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Far Cry (PC)

Started this last year, but finished a little earlier. So, let me start out by saying that this was one of those games back in the day that stressed my old PC, so for a number of reasons, I felt it proper to revisit this game, and see just how well or bad it has aged. On the surface, the graphics have somewhat aged alright, albeit mostly in the environmental department. Character models are not the greatest these days, but shadows are still fairly good, and sound design is still decent I think. Gameplay is decent enough, and many of the features in the gameplay have been evolved since with the Crysis games. I think overall, from a technical perspective, the game is about what you'd expect for a 2004 game, but there are some things about it that damn near ruin it.

The A.I. in this game is probably the single biggest frustrating part about it, and I feel it only gets worse as you play it. In the earlier levels, it feels relatively easy going: you tag enemies with your binoculars, maybe sneak up on them, take em' out, rinse and repeat. If only it were so easy though. The A.I. has eyes that would make an eagle blush. I swear, you could be hundreds of feet away from an enemy, and not only will they end up spotting you, but they'll also somehow get accurate shots. In some ways, you have to almost know the levels to really get the most out of it, but I did not have the time for this shit. The enemies themselves also are huge bullet sponges unless you aim precisely at their heads. This might seem easy enough, and when sneaking around, it is relatively, but when your cover is blown, and you're fighting to find some cover yourself, enemies have the tendency to serpentine around while still shooting, and their movements feel very jerky at times. And when you have multiple enemies at once, it can get even more difficult.

When it comes to bullet sponges though, nothing takes the cake than the Trigens in this game. Holy Fucking God Almighty are the Trigens the stupidest enemies in this entire game. I had simply forgotten how bad they were, and it's rather appalling they were allowed to pass inspection before this game went out to ship. The first set of Trigens you come across, the Primate variety, are not the worst ones in the world, but their unpredictability in their movements, plus the usual small corridors in many of the sections you fight them, it borderline is unfair to face them. And headshot for them don't seem to affect them any better compared to other areas of their body. And if headshot do make a difference, it still feels like an eternity before they are put down. However, if you think the primates trigness are bad enough, the overly large humanized versions with rocket launchers for arms are even worse. It is simply incredible these enemies are in this game because they will fire rockets at you indefinitely, far or point blank at you, and there's nothing you can do except accept you might get hit with rockets, and just hope they don't kill you before you drop them. You will be loading back to the previous checkpoint constantly in this game, and it ends up feeling like a chore. Hell, doing actual chores in your place of residence feels more like paradise compared to this.

This frustration got so bad, I resorted to something I don't normally do, and that is cheats. I modified the files in the game to enable devmode, and put on God mode. I was like, "I'm done. Enough of this." Back in the day, I would play the game without cheats, but today I just didn't have the patience, and I also felt I didn't know any better back then to think it was so bad. By today's standards, the Fish A.I. in Call of Duty is more sophisticated than this piece of shit. And it is not as though I was playing on some super hard difficulty. This was only on normal, and there are 2 or 3 more difficulty settings beyond what I played. I can only imagine what sheer hell it is to play Far Cry on the hardest difficulty. That person deserves a fucking medal.

So to sum up, Far Cry is horribly unbalanced, unfair, and most of all, has un-fucking believably bad A.I.

Happy 2020, TNE.

Last edited:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Mega Man X (NS)

Did a goofy "challenge" run kind of thing, where I had a friend randomly order the numbers 1 through 8 and used those to determine my order through the game.

Going through B. Kuwanger, F. Mammoth, and S. Mandrill without weaknesses and without the boots was certainly interesting, lol. It has been a while since I've seen F. Mammoth and S. Mandrill's stage in their vanilla forms (before being damaged by defeating other bosses).

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Control (XB1)

Once I started leveling skills that weren't health, and were therefore actually useful, I ended up having a much better time with this game and really enjoying almost every moment. This was one I definitely went through and made sure to read every single note, status report or other sundry piece of lore. It really drew me into its surreal worldspace and I loved it.

Astral Chain (NS)

I didn't want to write about it immediately after finishing it. I beat it around a week ago and I don't know about this one.

I should love it, I want to, but it never fully clicked with me. When you're not in combat the game is okay but the side missions aren't anything special. Combat is fine too but it never grabbed me like other action games have. I had issues with platforming and such, fell off a lot of ledges cause I clipped a small rock.

I can't pin down why I'm not so hot on this one. There are annoyances, there are good moments, but overall...eh. In a way I'm reminded of Vanquish in that I can see a good game in here but maybe I didn't fully explore what you could do in combat to make it truly enjoyable.

I can't even write three little coherent paragraphs on my thoughts of this game.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (NS)

That certainly was something resembling a story, I guess.

As for the game itself, it's an interesting, if simplified, fighting game that can be a lot of fun or frustrating, depending on whether or not the game decides you have frame advantage or not that second.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Doom (OG) (360)

Randomly bought Doom 3 BFG edition for "xbox One and Xbox 360" (we all really know it's just a repackaged 360 disc in a modified Xbone case) since it was on clearance at Walmart (and I wanted that poster inside). Only way I had ever played the original Doom was via halfway decent to shoddy console ports ala SNES or GBA, so playing a wonderfully solid port like the 360 one from start to finish gave me a good appreciation for where this one hell of a game got its start.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (NS)

There's so many things to it and I feel like I have something to say about all of them. When it's good, it's great, but it has a lot of little niggles that get on my tits. I also didn't find the main story too interesting, probably because it focused on a dweeb of a main character and his waifus. The world itself and the political landscape of all the countries were interesting. The ending was neat even if it retconned some stuff.

Overall, it was pretty good.

Super Smash Bros Ultimate (NS)

I got World of Light 100%'d, did Classic Mode for all characters and got all 124 challenges unlocked (I used hammers for most of the "online" section but did everything else myself).

World of Light was the most fun I've had slogging though a campaign. I was surprised at how much fun I had on the first major section, but as more kept unlocking I did grow a bit tired of it. Was fun seeing how they altered a fighter and/or stage to match the spirit you were trying to unlock.

Classic mode was also fun. I like how not everyone's ends with Master Hand and how they were all tailored made for the character. I think Mega Man's was the best, that one was spot on.

I played a bit over the year at a friend's house so I already knew the characters and stages and how the game played, but it's nice finally having it for myself. Seeing a lot of my favorite stages from 64 - Brawl really makes me happy. The music selection is also incredible.

Kirby Super Star (NS)
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (Wii)
Kirby's Dream Land (Wii)

It's the middle of the season in this frozen hellscape, or as I call it, Newfoundland, and them winter blues are hitting me up. Leave it to Kirby to help me unwind and have some fun.

I never finished Super Star before, which I guess is a bit shocking considering it's a fan favorite. After finally beating it, I can see why, but it still ain't my favorite. Instead of one adventure it's broken up into a bunch of smaller campaigns: Springtime Breeze, Meta Knight's Revenge, etc. They're all really fun, even if a first playthrough of Great Cave Offensive can be a bit frustrating. The more I look back at it though, I think it's gonna be one of those games where I'll like it more on subsequent playthroughs. It's not bad, in fact it's pretty great. The only issue really is that it's a bit too easy to get hit in this game with off screen enemies winding up attacks, and the tried and true design of respawning enemies if you off screen their area by a couple of pixels.

64 though, that shit's just tops. This game made me fully realize Santa doesn't exist (spoilers). I was at that age where I was starting to figure it out, but this game was a Christmas gift from "Santa" but it was in a box with my dad's place of work's business logo stamped on it. Never forgot that.

I just love mixing two copy abilities together. Going for 100% makes you experiment and sees combos you may have missed out on otherwise. This game really nails home the fact that there's really two ways to play Kirby. 1) Just going through it and 2) 100%'ing it and making the most out of the mechanics that game offers. I know Kirby gets a ton of shit for being too easy and whatnot, but going for 100% really brings out the best in these games, especially from 64 onwards.

That said, Kirby's Dream Land is probably as simple as it gets, yet I still love it. I usually play it at least once a year, and even though it takes me 15 minutes or so, you can never convince me to hate this game. It just makes me feel happy.

Metroid: Other M (Wii)

10 years ago this masterpiece was released to the fan fare of the world. It's crazy that no controversy arose from this title. Truly, this is the Half Life 2 of video games.

In all seriousness, I loved this game back in the day. Not sure exactly what spurred me to play it again but I've been meaning to for awhile. I guess I'm in the mood to replay older stuff again what with Kirby. I believe last year I also replayed a bunch of stuff like No More Heroes and the Galaxy games. The Wii man, what a console.

When I started this up the first hour or so made me a tad worried. I rolled my eyes at some of the dialogue and the controls weren't as smooth as I remembered. Chalk that up to rust because once it got going it all came back to me why I enjoy this one so much despite some issues. Sure it ain't as open-ended as other Metroid titles, there isn't any new power-ups to the franchise besides the diffusion beam, and I do think the context surrounding your suit upgrades is a bit stupid. I don't have an issue with Adam refusing power bombs and whatnot due to fear of vaporizing nearby survivors, but the Varia suit and Gravity suit? That's pretty dumb. Especially the Gravity suit, as that happens after she authorizes her screw attack herself but no, by all means fight Nightmare without the suit upgrade. In terms of video game progression it's all fine. Instead of finding the suit after fighting the boss, you activate it after the boss. Structurally it's no different, the context within the story makes it silly.

I remember hating Samus' voice performance, but it didn't bother me this time around, despite some silly dialogue.

*The galactic federation is researching potential Bioweapons* says a note.
Samus: Adam, is the galactic federation researching Bioweapons?
Adam: Looks like it.
*5 minutes later*
Samus: They're researching Bioweapons.

Still, I like the overall story and setting. It basically starts out as Resident Evil where a bunch of people investigate place where all the inhabitants have gone missing, before turning into Metal Gear Solid 2. So yeah, sign me up. There's one scene where a scientist is on the floor trying to run away from you, and all I could think of was Octacon pissing himself trying to run from Snake and Grey Fox. Speaking of RE though, this game really nails the atmosphere and I'll be damned if some parts didn't actually give me a few goose bumps.

Gameplay is still fun as fuck too despite not introducing many new upgrades or items to franchise. I would love to see another shot at this style. While I enjoy it, I wonder what it would be like with nunchuk support.

So yeah, 10 years on, still a fun ride. Despite making an entire fan base piss themselves like Otacon, I still really like this one. I play games to have a good time and unwind, and this is a good time.

...The baby.

Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)

Nostalgia aside for 64, I think this one is my favorite of the franchise. The levels are great as is but the collectibles and challenge rooms takes it up notch. Quite a few levels have a side-level that can be hectic, followed by a boss fight. The challenge rooms, to get gold medals, require some mastery of the copy abilities.

I 100%'d this bad boy, and did arena mode as well. Once you beat the game you unlock EX mode, which is essentially the same game with a few changes. Your health is halfed, all bosses are their EX versions with different attack patterns, and the final boss is different. I also 100%'d this as well. Doing this unlocks the True Arena with the new bosses, and has a unique boss Galacta Knight, who is a tough boy indeed with insanely badass music.

So even though this was technically two playthroughs, I didn't add a *, it was on one file and is different modes, so I didn't know if that counted.

Happy Valentine's Day TNE

Last edited:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Metroid Zero Mission (Wii U)
Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)
Super Metroid (NS)
Metroid Fusion (Wii U)

What was originally conceived as a birthday marathon of all four games quickly changed partway through Samus Returns when I realized I had forgotten how long the game was.

Can't really say too much more about them than I already have, as they all still hold up fairly well (Super could use a remake with tighter controls and less wonky physics, imo, but that's an old horse for me).

Playing them all in just a big ole single segment each (as in, I never turned the games off, just started them and finished them in the same 'session') really was kinda neat though.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Darksiders Genesis (NS)

Despite some occasional technical hiccups I thoroughly enjoyed myself playing this isometric Sword n Gun / Puzzle Platformer. Getting to know the last of the Four Horseman from the Darksiders series, Strife, long before the start of the first game was super interesting; he's also got some real funny back and forth with his brother War.

There are collectibles you can stack along with upgrades and puzzles you can only solve by bringing new gear into old levels, along with 5 difficulty modes (the fifth is unlocked after beating the game). There were some puzzles in this that certainly did take me a while to figure out, I'll be honest.

All in all, a good game that I'm glad I bought.

praisegrima

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Diablo III: Eternal Collection (NS)

Finally went back and finished the DLC story, thereby beating this game.

Most of my playthrough was done via co-op waaaaay back in the day when it first launched on switch with several of the GameWitness crew like @simplyTravis and I'd say that's where it truly shines (even if it is hard to absorb the lore that way, lol).

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Dragon Marked for Death (NS)

This was a Jolly Co-op game with @EvilTw1n and @CitizenOfVerona and, on the whole, I liked it.

Spritework was good, had interesting stage design, and it was fun combining spell incantations to get more powerful spells.

The loot grind, however, was a bit much and not something I think any of us were truly down for past getting through the game.

Basically echoing Kark's thoughts on it. Instead of making a stage by stage linear action game with multiple characters, they made a game where you re-visit the stages multiple times using a quest system. Sure sometimes certain areas are blocked off on a certain quest, but fighting the same enemies and bosses does get repetitive.

It was fun no doubt, but I was ready for the credits.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.

What @Karkashan and @CitizenOfVerona said.

Fun game. Really smooth mechanics, and the different classes do make for pretty different play styles. The sprite work grew on me.

Caveats? From the moment you go to set up a room, it's apparent that the game wants to be 2D Monster Hunter (sit 'round the table for jovial music and to replenish your healing items). But as COV pointed out, it doesn't have a MH loop. It's a looter-shooter loop. As such, instead of maps being crafted to be plain 'ol fun, they're crafted to have multiple objectives. And it works...for about 10 hours. But there is zero reason to go back and replay any of it. There is no "this Rathian fight feels completely different this time, and we still have the Pink Rathian to look forward to." You...just do the same tasks with spongier enemies.

On more subjective ground...I really wish this game had a more hand-drawn look. Muramasa ruined 2D feudal kingdoms for everyone else. And it showed your map design didn't have to be super-complex, so long as the backgrounds and new enemies provided a sense of place when you moved into different areas.

I think Dragon Marked for Death could have been a fantastic 10-hour hack-n-slash RPG. Inti-Creates could have done that with ease; that game template is right here. But they tried to stretch it into that magic MH loop, and that template isn't here.

Edit - That all sounds really negative. This is a fun game. The gameplay is butter-smooth. I really enjoyed it, and there is a great foundation to build on.

DMfD is sorta in-between genres. That's a tough nut to crack.

One improvement, though? Heals. Man, there's useless dialog that can be assigned to the lower triggers, but potions are stuck in menus. Totally ok in single player, when the game itself pauses in menus. Not ok in multi when the game doesn't pause while you're menu-diving.

Last edited:
Kirby: Star Allies (NS)

There's something I gotta admit...Kirby is one of my favorite franchises. Phew, glad I got that off my chest.

In all seriousness, I sat on Star Allies for awhile on purpose. After Return to Dreamland and the two 3DS games that all went for the same style, I wasn't in a rush to play this one. I really like how each Kirby game can play vastly different to the last, which is partly why Rainbow Curse on Wii U resonated with me. It was a breath of fresh air amidst those great, yet similar, "standard" Kirbys. I don't even have a problem with the standard formula as I love Squeak Squad on DS, and that's as standard as you can get. A change in artstyle can work wonders, and I guess it's similar to everyone being burnt out on the New Mario games.

Obviously I've been on a Kirby kick lately so I decided to jump on it finally. I'm glad I did, this game is so damn good. The main story isn't as good as the others though. This game has 4 player co-op, and I heard it's a blast, but unfortunately this was one journey I had to take alone. I heard the level design wasn't as interesting as before to more properly accommodate 4 players. Yeah, I can see that. It ain't bad, just not as imaginative or interesting.

What makes this game special is the post game. First up is The Ultimate Choice, i.e. Boss Rush. It's...just boss rush. I did it a couple of times to beat the second hardest setting, but I don't think I can do the hardest. 14 fights back to back with remixed bosses that make them harder. No thanks bro.

Next up is Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go. What a name. This game had free DLC drops over time and since I'm only playing now I never had to wait for it. The thing with single player is you can "capture" enemies to make your friends. These are what real co-op players can play as, or if you play alone, they can be your NPC allies. Star Allies Go (SAG) allows you to pick any Friend and speed run through the game. Not the entire game mind, I think depending on the character certain sections are omitted. But wait, that DLC I mentioned, more Friends called Dream Friends. These are King Dedede, Meta Knight, Daroach from Squeak Squard, among others (12). In all you can select almost 40 characters. Dream Friends are another level though, unique level design based on the game their from, remixed music from their games, etc. Daroach can summon the other Squeaks as attacks, Susie from Plant Robobot can pilot a mech. Heck yeah dude this mode is so fucking fun. At the time of writing I only did 2 run throughs and I was quite surprised at how unique some levels were. It's broken into 5 sections and they just stitch the levels together all while keeping time.

Kark, ET and myself recently played Dragon Marked for Death, and we said how we'd prefer a solid linear game with great levels that we choose to replay. This made me think of that. With almost 40 characters to play through, with variants on the levels, I can see myself playing this on and off for a long time simply because how fun it is, rather than grinding for better gear to do the exact same thing again. Good job HAL.

Lastly is Heroes in Another Dimension. This was a free DLC update and it's 4 levels and a final boss fight. Before playing this I was thinking how I miss the challenges from Return to Dreamland, but part way through I realized this was kinda it. Each level is broken into sections where you're forced to use a copy ability or a certain Dream Friend. Instead of an timed obstacle course, it's actually puzzle oriented to get all 120 collectibles. I was pleasantly surprised how long it took to figure some of these out. You really got to understand how all the Dream Friends work in order to get them all. It's a different kind of "challenge room" but it provided what I liked about it in Return, understanding the abilities to their fullest.

There is also two mini-games. One involves batting a meteorite back into space, I think my record is upwards of 8000 light years away. Kirby is canonically the most powerful character ever. The other involved cutting a tree as fast as possible while avoiding obstacles.

Speaking of Kirby being OP as fuck, this game has quite a lot of lore. I know it's "kirby is for kids" but this game involves ancient cosmic horrors, the possible explanation of what Kirby is and his relation to Dark Matter from that trilogy, a butterfly that is basically Death that determines your judgement when you die, said butterfly morphing with a warrior that travels across time and space, inter-dimensional travel, and an ancient cult that banish the main villian to the edge of the galaxy, who then went to save three mages on the verge of death and then eventually lost his sanity. Yeah we're still talking about Kirby here. A lot of this is given to you on the pause screen. Pause the game during a boss fight you get a description. In the Boss Rush mode you can get different descriptions depending on the difficultly you select, and also in Heroes in Another Dimension. There is also some very subtle shit that I completely missed. None of it is thrown in your face, but if you're curious, look some of this shit up, I find it very impressive.

The developers released a note thanking the fans and stating that Kirby is about to enter it's next phase. Not sure what that means, I wonder if they'll finally do a 3D game, or whether it's a reboot, I don't know. Whatever it is, they went all out with this one. For someone like me, seeing all these characters return and making them playable, all the easter eggs (my god, all the easter eggs), lore bits and remixed music, it makes this game really special, as if my long write-up didn't get that across yet. I won't be forgetting about this one any time soon.

Last edited: