God Shattering Star - 2020 Games Completed Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@CitizenOfVerona @mattavelle1 @EvilTw1n @Goodtwin It doesn't have any multiplayer game mode other than the one where you fight two monsters against one human. Not even deathmatch.
You said what now...............??????? You telling me that in 2020 we somehow effectively went back in time to an almost purely single player game, FOR one of arguably biggest titles of the year.......This is what you are saying???

If so I’m surprised our boy @CoV didn’t 10/10 it for being just old school enough and give him what he wanted all this years.

EDIT: For real I can’t even like you post @Juegos

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
You said what now...............??????? You telling me that in 2020 we somehow effectively went back in time to an almost purely single player game, FOR one of arguably biggest titles of the year.......This is what you are saying???

If so I’m surprised our boy @CoV didn’t 10/10 it for being just old school enough and give him what he wanted all this years.

EDIT: For real I can’t even like you post @Juegos
It's true. It would make sense if Quake Champions was on all systems so everyone could just play that for free, but it's only on PC, so honestly, Id/Bethesda just lost their damn minds with this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-explains-doom-eternals-lack-of-deathmatch-mode-saying-its-eons-old/

I do think the game is really damn good, though. I think CoV is right on both counts, it's "bigger is better" and "too much of a good thing" at once. I'll try to write more about it later, I still want to get through some master levels (it seems like they'll release "remixed" versions of the levels with different monster encounters throughout the year, probably for free since there will be an actual paid DLC campaign) and start Nightmare difficulty to see how I feel about it.

The only thing I'm straight up disappointed with is the soundtrack, it's too similar and not as good as Doom 2016.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Wow. That's a real bummer. I mean, I get it, they focused on making a badass single-player game. But I really did enjoy the online in DOOM (apart from the connection issues).
Straight up facts! 2016 DooM was not only a heart pounder from start to finish, but that online outside of havin to do the rituals to log on were great fun.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge (NS)

I had almost completed my second season, before I just had to step away from this game last year. I was in a Super-Sport race on Triangle and kept getting crashed out at the first turn, over and over and over. It gets so frustrating, man. The game asks for perfection, for you to ride right on the edge. But pushing like that in non-time-trial races puts you up against atrocious AI with some of the worst rubber-banding known to gaming. (Seriously, you'll watch the second place rider pass you, waaaaaaaay too hot into a bend, and crash straight into a wall. Restart the race, and if you beat that rider into the first corner and they crash out early, the third-place rider magically gets that AI script, and will do the same high-speed wall crash. The AI can be downright suicidal.)

Season 2 was also waaaaaaay harder overall than the first, because switching back and forth between a 600cc and a 1000cc is a pronounced difference. The bikes have to be ridden very differently (and you'll have to edit your controls/setups between rides). Get a strategy and a rhythm on a super-sport and win the race? Congrats. Now relearn the track on the 1000cc super-bike. You have to learn everything twice, and then re-learn after you've been off of a track for a bit. It's truly demanding. This is the hardest core racing sim I've ever played.

But, staying away did me a lot of good. Now that I've ridden more on an actual motorcycle, I can vouch for this game doing a lot right. A big part of that is the mental aspect. If you're frustrated and pissed off, you'll just make more mistakes. Bikes aren't like cars; getting road rage isn't really an option. You can't get on a bike without a clear head - you've gotta think analytically. And you can't play this game without the same frame of mind. You gotta find your Zen place.

TT:IOM gets some of the mechanical stuff about bikes right, but not all of the physics. You have to use your throttle to push a bike through bends, but you can't do that in tight hairpins or 90-degree turns. You'll fold the front if you're too hard on the brakes with the bike leaned over. You'll lose the rear if you're leaned over too far, in too low a gear, and go too hard on the throttle. All true to life (believe me). But...there's some weird physics hiccups, where the rear just doesn't hook up to the asphalt sometimes. I've tried trouble shooting it, but it's there in a variety of settings.

Despite the flaws, when you get it right? On a straight, hit fourth gear, then down to third, engine brake into a right hander, down to second and switchback for the left bend. Breathe on the throttle, then hit first to engine brake and tuck the front wheel into the decreasing radius left. Switch back for the right 90-degree turn, and off you go. *Chef's kiss*

This game is just as good as I remember it. Just as infuriating, too.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
Luigi's Mansion (GCN)

Continuing my mission to play games to cheer me up. Haven't played Bowser's Inside Story since it came out so it was essentially a fresh experience since I remember nothing of it. The first 8 hours were fine but pretty linear. Do some stuff as Bowser in the overworld, do some 2D platforming as the Bros inside Bowser. Once you gain the ability to leave his body and can explore more freely as the Bros in the overworld it really becomes fun as hell.

After re-experiencing this, I gotta say, the combat is amazing. Like with other Mario RPG's, you can time button presses to do extra damage or avoid damage, but it's a lot more engaging. Some moves require multiple steps to do max damage, and some enemy attacks also have multiple steps to avoid or counter. It prevents combat becoming boring. Each new area has new enemies to learn so it's constantly fresh. Boss battles are all really fun too.

The story and characters are also great. Got a good mix of drama and humor. Never too serious or dark, but also knows when to easy up on the jokes to push the story foward.

For some reason I never played much of this series. I bought BIS over a decade ago, and only played the GBA Superstar Saga on Wii U a year or two ago. Other than that, never played the other 3. It's weird considering how I was always there for a new Paper Mario even after the many changes that series had. I'll be checking the rest of this series in time for sure.

Haven't played Luigi's Mansion in ages but it's still really fun. Short and sweet. I really love games like this and the first couple of Resident Evils where it involves exploring a central location. Wish more games did that. That said, the last few Boos with 300 health who keep leaving the room is a tad annoying, as is the constant back and forth between the basement and 3rd floor in the late game. Still, one of my favorite Gamecube games.

Nioh 2 (PS4)

Deeper, more varied combat; more interesting locales; a crap ton of new and returning enemies with lots of little variations: Nioh 2 is a great sequel.

This game, in some respects, is a fantasy interpretation of the rise and fall of Toyotomi Hideyoshi wrapped up in a deep Ninja Gaiden smooth combat system with a Soulish (yet also Diabloish) flavor. You play a shiftling (half human half yokai) simply known as Hide, and you meet early on a man named Tokichiro and enter the service of Oda Nobunaga; eventually the two of you combine characters from both your names to become simply 'Hideyoshi', and everything else is a spoiler.

Having an SSD in my Pro was the the only improvement that was worthwhile to me that the PS4 Pro could offer, as it cut down on loading times significantly. Which is sad since my PC, far from being the top of the line, could run a smooth 60FPS 1080p higher res "movie" quality mode on the first game.

The further along this month got the more worried I became that I wouldn't wrap this game up before RE3make and FF7make came out, but thankfully the last area doesn't have as many missions as the first six so i was able to power through it all tonight.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS)

I think I've said everything I can say about this one before. For as how many times I've played it I still learned shit about it. Always thought a particular Skulltula in Dodongo's Cavern needed to be obtained as an adult but this time I learned I could do it as a kid. Go figure.

This was the first time playing it all the way on the 3DS. I logged onto My Nintendo and saw I somehow had 750 platinum coins. They're pretty much useless but I did get a 30% code for OoT so what the hell? Gotta keep myself occupied.

The further along this month got the more worried I became that I wouldn't wrap this game up before RE3make and FF7make came out, but thankfully the last area doesn't have as many missions as the first six so i was able to power through it all tonight.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on both.

Last edited: