God Shattering Star - 2020 Games Completed Thread

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
@CitizenOfVerona @mattavelle1 @EvilTw1n @Goodtwin It doesn't have any multiplayer game mode other than the one where you fight two monsters against one human. Not even deathmatch.
You said what now...............??????? You telling me that in 2020 we somehow effectively went back in time to an almost purely single player game, FOR one of arguably biggest titles of the year.......This is what you are saying???

If so I’m surprised our boy @CoV didn’t 10/10 it for being just old school enough and give him what he wanted all this years.

EDIT: For real I can’t even like you post @Juegos

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
You said what now...............??????? You telling me that in 2020 we somehow effectively went back in time to an almost purely single player game, FOR one of arguably biggest titles of the year.......This is what you are saying???

If so I’m surprised our boy @CoV didn’t 10/10 it for being just old school enough and give him what he wanted all this years.

EDIT: For real I can’t even like you post @Juegos
It's true. It would make sense if Quake Champions was on all systems so everyone could just play that for free, but it's only on PC, so honestly, Id/Bethesda just lost their damn minds with this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/bethesda-explains-doom-eternals-lack-of-deathmatch-mode-saying-its-eons-old/

I do think the game is really damn good, though. I think CoV is right on both counts, it's "bigger is better" and "too much of a good thing" at once. I'll try to write more about it later, I still want to get through some master levels (it seems like they'll release "remixed" versions of the levels with different monster encounters throughout the year, probably for free since there will be an actual paid DLC campaign) and start Nightmare difficulty to see how I feel about it.

The only thing I'm straight up disappointed with is the soundtrack, it's too similar and not as good as Doom 2016.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Wow. That's a real bummer. I mean, I get it, they focused on making a badass single-player game. But I really did enjoy the online in DOOM (apart from the connection issues).
Straight up facts! 2016 DooM was not only a heart pounder from start to finish, but that online outside of havin to do the rituals to log on were great fun.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge (NS)

I had almost completed my second season, before I just had to step away from this game last year. I was in a Super-Sport race on Triangle and kept getting crashed out at the first turn, over and over and over. It gets so frustrating, man. The game asks for perfection, for you to ride right on the edge. But pushing like that in non-time-trial races puts you up against atrocious AI with some of the worst rubber-banding known to gaming. (Seriously, you'll watch the second place rider pass you, waaaaaaaay too hot into a bend, and crash straight into a wall. Restart the race, and if you beat that rider into the first corner and they crash out early, the third-place rider magically gets that AI script, and will do the same high-speed wall crash. The AI can be downright suicidal.)

Season 2 was also waaaaaaay harder overall than the first, because switching back and forth between a 600cc and a 1000cc is a pronounced difference. The bikes have to be ridden very differently (and you'll have to edit your controls/setups between rides). Get a strategy and a rhythm on a super-sport and win the race? Congrats. Now relearn the track on the 1000cc super-bike. You have to learn everything twice, and then re-learn after you've been off of a track for a bit. It's truly demanding. This is the hardest core racing sim I've ever played.

But, staying away did me a lot of good. Now that I've ridden more on an actual motorcycle, I can vouch for this game doing a lot right. A big part of that is the mental aspect. If you're frustrated and pissed off, you'll just make more mistakes. Bikes aren't like cars; getting road rage isn't really an option. You can't get on a bike without a clear head - you've gotta think analytically. And you can't play this game without the same frame of mind. You gotta find your Zen place.

TT:IOM gets some of the mechanical stuff about bikes right, but not all of the physics. You have to use your throttle to push a bike through bends, but you can't do that in tight hairpins or 90-degree turns. You'll fold the front if you're too hard on the brakes with the bike leaned over. You'll lose the rear if you're leaned over too far, in too low a gear, and go too hard on the throttle. All true to life (believe me). But...there's some weird physics hiccups, where the rear just doesn't hook up to the asphalt sometimes. I've tried trouble shooting it, but it's there in a variety of settings.

Despite the flaws, when you get it right? On a straight, hit fourth gear, then down to third, engine brake into a right hander, down to second and switchback for the left bend. Breathe on the throttle, then hit first to engine brake and tuck the front wheel into the decreasing radius left. Switch back for the right 90-degree turn, and off you go. *Chef's kiss*

This game is just as good as I remember it. Just as infuriating, too.

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DS)
Luigi's Mansion (GCN)

Continuing my mission to play games to cheer me up. Haven't played Bowser's Inside Story since it came out so it was essentially a fresh experience since I remember nothing of it. The first 8 hours were fine but pretty linear. Do some stuff as Bowser in the overworld, do some 2D platforming as the Bros inside Bowser. Once you gain the ability to leave his body and can explore more freely as the Bros in the overworld it really becomes fun as hell.

After re-experiencing this, I gotta say, the combat is amazing. Like with other Mario RPG's, you can time button presses to do extra damage or avoid damage, but it's a lot more engaging. Some moves require multiple steps to do max damage, and some enemy attacks also have multiple steps to avoid or counter. It prevents combat becoming boring. Each new area has new enemies to learn so it's constantly fresh. Boss battles are all really fun too.

The story and characters are also great. Got a good mix of drama and humor. Never too serious or dark, but also knows when to easy up on the jokes to push the story foward.

For some reason I never played much of this series. I bought BIS over a decade ago, and only played the GBA Superstar Saga on Wii U a year or two ago. Other than that, never played the other 3. It's weird considering how I was always there for a new Paper Mario even after the many changes that series had. I'll be checking the rest of this series in time for sure.

Haven't played Luigi's Mansion in ages but it's still really fun. Short and sweet. I really love games like this and the first couple of Resident Evils where it involves exploring a central location. Wish more games did that. That said, the last few Boos with 300 health who keep leaving the room is a tad annoying, as is the constant back and forth between the basement and 3rd floor in the late game. Still, one of my favorite Gamecube games.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Nioh 2 (PS4)

Deeper, more varied combat; more interesting locales; a crap ton of new and returning enemies with lots of little variations: Nioh 2 is a great sequel.

This game, in some respects, is a fantasy interpretation of the rise and fall of Toyotomi Hideyoshi wrapped up in a deep Ninja Gaiden smooth combat system with a Soulish (yet also Diabloish) flavor. You play a shiftling (half human half yokai) simply known as Hide, and you meet early on a man named Tokichiro and enter the service of Oda Nobunaga; eventually the two of you combine characters from both your names to become simply 'Hideyoshi', and everything else is a spoiler.

Having an SSD in my Pro was the the only improvement that was worthwhile to me that the PS4 Pro could offer, as it cut down on loading times significantly. Which is sad since my PC, far from being the top of the line, could run a smooth 60FPS 1080p higher res "movie" quality mode on the first game.

The further along this month got the more worried I became that I wouldn't wrap this game up before RE3make and FF7make came out, but thankfully the last area doesn't have as many missions as the first six so i was able to power through it all tonight.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS)

I think I've said everything I can say about this one before. For as how many times I've played it I still learned shit about it. Always thought a particular Skulltula in Dodongo's Cavern needed to be obtained as an adult but this time I learned I could do it as a kid. Go figure.

This was the first time playing it all the way on the 3DS. I logged onto My Nintendo and saw I somehow had 750 platinum coins. They're pretty much useless but I did get a 30% code for OoT so what the hell? Gotta keep myself occupied.

The further along this month got the more worried I became that I wouldn't wrap this game up before RE3make and FF7make came out, but thankfully the last area doesn't have as many missions as the first six so i was able to power through it all tonight.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on both.

Last edited:
Mega Man 5 (Wii U)

Chatted with a few friends over discord tonight so I just played this in the background. Funny how I can beat the robot masters pretty easily throughout the game, but there's always one or two in the final gauntlet that give me shit all of a sudden.

Last edited:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Resident Evil 3 (PC)

A very enjoyable ride from start to finish (I love you, mine grenades). There are things I like in this one more than RE2make (No Sherry segment and taking down your pursuer can be worthwhile), but there are also things from that I liked more than this one (RE3make likes to have invincible dead bodies that only become killable later on in the story). If I remember I might go back this weekend to my GCN and play the og RE3 just to compare the remake to it.

I plan to go through the game again at least once more to rack up more points for the post game shop that unlocks after you beat the game. To explain: once you beat the game, you get access to a shop that sells costumes, hip pouches, a couple of early progression items, stat boosters, and infinite weapons. These are bought using points that are obtained by completing various challenges done throughout your various playthroughs (a far, far better system for obtaining infinite weapons than the hell that was S+ing both Leon and Claire's campaign in RE2MAKE and now I'm having war flashbacks from getting that shit). As COV might be able to attest, this system is reminiscent of RE5's, albeit this one is only unlocked after the first clear game.

Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Wii U)

At this point I think it's safe to say the Treasure Trove package of all 4 campaigns is some of the best gaming I've ever experienced. King of Cards turned one of my least favorite Knight into one of my favorites. The writing and humor were top notch, making King Knight into a full on dork who lives with him mom was genius. The light hearted tone makes the ending actually a bit sad as it is a prequel to the main game.

The game itself though is just a ton of fun. I really love how each campaign features an entirely new gameplay system with levels that are built around them, rather than just going through the exact same game again with a different moveset. Shoutouts to the developer as well, they got me to enjoy a card game too. I'm not too big on card games, but this one has a built in side game where you play cards with NPCs are bars. I wasn't gonna get too into it at first, but I ended up completely that whole side story too.

I'm tempted to go back and play all 4 campaigns again from the start, but I'll probably do that over the next few months/year or so. Can't wait to see what the developer does next.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Wii U)

At this point I think it's safe to say the Treasure Trove package of all 4 campaigns is some of the best gaming I've ever experienced. King of Cards turned one of my least favorite Knight into one of my favorites. The writing and humor were top notch, making King Knight into a full on dork who lives with him mom was genius. The light hearted tone makes the ending actually a bit sad as it is a prequel to the main game.

The game itself though is just a ton of fun. I really love how each campaign features an entirely new gameplay system with levels that are built around them, rather than just going through the exact same game again with a different moveset. Shoutouts to the developer as well, they got me to enjoy a card game too. I'm not too big on card games, but this one has a built in side game where you play cards with NPCs are bars. I wasn't gonna get too into it at first, but I ended up completely that whole side story too.

I'm tempted to go back and play all 4 campaigns again from the start, but I'll probably do that over the next few months/year or so. Can't wait to see what the developer does next.
I loved all of the story’s so far aswell! That is some top notch excellent gaming

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Okay a note going forward:

Resident Evil 2 Remake is referred to as Resident Evil 2, while the original is referred to as Resident Evil 2 (OG). The same naming scheme applies to the following games

Secret of Mana
Trials of Mana
DOOM
Resident Evil 3
Prey

FF7 Remake actually puts the "remake" in the title so "Final Fantasy 7 Remake" is how that's gonna be referred to atm.

Tales of Symphonia (GCN)

This was my second Tales game and apart of me wishes I played this first before Vesperia. In a way, it's like playing Twilight Princess, then going back to Ocarina of Time without nostalgic bias. I was really impressed with Vesperia and while I really enjoy Symphonia, it was obviously a step back in some regards.

I was surprised at how similar the two were in some areas. Like Vesperia, you get a ring that can shoot out a fire ball to affect some environmental blockades. However, in the one area I thin is legit better than Vesperia, there are a ton of dungeons that change the ring outright. One dungeon has you dropping bombs, another has you shooting out ice, or electricity, etc. One has you blooming or wilting flowers that blow air once they're bloomed, and the ring encases you in a bubble that allows you to follow the air pathways. Some of these dungeons really required to use my galaxy sized brain to figure out. It's much better than simply "find the correct pathway".

Other than that, it's a game on the previous generation of consoles, so basically less combat options, worse presentation, etc. Typical stuff when you go backwards in a series. Nothing was a deal breaker, but again, kinda feel like I should have played this one first.

My only real negative about this game is the presentation though. Even by 2003 this is pretty...bad. These are some stiff ass characters in "cutscenes". A lot of the times you're just watching the same very basic animations when characters talk, often times without lip animations. Say if character A wants to attack character B, A will attack, then B will fall down awkwardly a moment later. It's like two characters can't do much at the same time. Sometimes a cutscene will be voiced, then it'll cut the the franchise's trademark "skit" where anime portraits will talk, all without voice acting. I don't need Square Enix-tier cutscenes or character models to be engaged with a game, and there's no substitute for good writing (which this game has), but I can't help but feel I'd be more immersed if it wasn't so stilted. Towards the end of the game there are more anime cutscenes, and these are awesome, just wish there were more.

The main story was enjoyable, some characters didn't strike a chord with me, but there were others I really liked and their arcs. I was pretty confused in the mid-game as it threw quite a lot at you, and one specific group of side characters just baffled me as to how they went about their goals, but it was good all the same. Villians were hate-able, heroes were mostly relate-able, and had just enough of that JRPG imagination that I really dig (there's another planet on top of ours that's hidden by a projection made by this tower? Sure thing boss).

So two games in and I'm pretty on board with Tales. They're classic JRPGs that I miss since Square Enix changed their formula so much. It's not turn based combat, but it has an overworld with vehicles, multiple towns, side quests, dungeons, new party members every so often, the whole works. It may not shatter the world with it's innovation, but sometimes I just want a damn fine game. I just hope the newest one in development has better cutscenes.

Silent Hill (PS3)

My unofficial title for this game is "what the fuck is that?". I see a monster from a different angle due to the camera angles and think it's a new enemy type. I walk into a bathroom and pick up some health, turn around to leave and when the camera changes perspective a huge slamming sound happens. I'm running around a hospital, radio is producing static indicating a monster is around, I'm expecting a nurse due to where I am, only to be grabbed by something invisible that hasn't showed up in hours. All these things and more made me audibly say "what the fuck is that?"

This game is impressive with how scary it is despite having enough ammo and health to make Leon from RE4 jealous. Within the first half hour or so I had over 100 handgun bullets and never dipped below it. Once I had the shotgun the enemies mind as well just not bother showing up. Regardless, I was still scared the whole time. The soundtrack/environmental audio is the scariest enemy in the game. The weird mix of industrial music with industrial sound effects makes me wonder when one can call something "music" if that makes sense. It reminds me of the Shining, a movie I've seen many times, and seen numerous parodies of, still bothers me cause of the music. Even though I was a one man army I was on edge the whole time.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Silent Hill (PS3)

My unofficial title for this game is "what the fuck is that?". I see a monster from a different angle due to the camera angles and think it's a new enemy type. I walk into a bathroom and pick up some health, turn around to leave and when the camera changes perspective a huge slamming sound happens. I'm running around a hospital, radio is producing static indicating a monster is around, I'm expecting a nurse due to where I am, only to be grabbed by something invisible that hasn't showed up in hours. All these things and more made me audibly say "what the fuck is that?"

This game is impressive with how scary it is despite having enough ammo and health to make Leon from RE4 jealous. Within the first half hour or so I had over 100 handgun bullets and never dipped below it. Once I had the shotgun the enemies mind as well just not bother showing up. Regardless, I was still scared the whole time. The soundtrack/environmental audio is the scariest enemy in the game. The weird mix of industrial music with industrial sound effects makes me wonder when one can call something "music" if that makes sense. It reminds me of the Shining, a movie I've seen many times, and seen numerous parodies of, still bothers me cause of the music. Even though I was a one man army I was on edge the whole time.
Fucking love this game. Have you played SH2 and 3? Both are just as good (SH2 might actually be the best imo). I played SH3 for the first time in middle school, and I think that was the first survival horror that I straight up was too scared to keep playing.

Fucking love this game. Have you played SH2 and 3? Both are just as good (SH2 might actually be the best imo). I played SH3 for the first time in middle school, and I think that was the first survival horror that I straight up was too scared to keep playing.
Oh yeah, I played the whole series. My sister gave me 2 in grade 11. I was terrified playing that one. I remember doing the prison section at night and having to let my dog out before bed...not fun.

I don’t remember much of 3. I’m planning on replaying 2 and 3 soon.

Ion Fury (PC)

I really think this game could have been a certified masterpiece if it wasn't for a few things. The big one is these small spider-like enemies that are everywhere. Not sure why FPS's gotta have these small annoying enemies that just make a straight line towards the player but here we are. If they showed up every now and then it would have been tolerable, but they're in abundance in every level. So you'll be circle strafing, firing off your shotgun or grenades, then these little fuckers show up and ruin the pace, forcing you to slow down to deal with them cause their hit box is so small. Maybe I just need to git gud, but I was annoyed with them right up until the end.

The second annoyance is some levels take place in slums or city streets and is a big area. However, I don't think the Build engine was really designed with that in mind, so enemies can shoot you from darkness, or being very small pixels off in the distance. Found a few times where I was getting shot at from multiple directions not knowing where they were until I moved closer. I love the look of these levels, in fact the whole run down near future cyperpunk style is something I never really get tired of, but they kinda mess up the gameplay. The levels that take place in office buildings or laboratories are better in that regard.

Other than that, it's just little things. I kinda wish the shotgun's spread was a bit wider. I wish the enemy variety was better, as is it's mostly dudes in colored robes, or "head on machine". A head on spider legs or a head on a drone. Later stages introduced some bigger boys, but I just couldn't help but think of how widely different the base grunts in Duke Nukem 3D were compared to this.

I don't mean to sound negative. When this game works it's so damn good dude. It just seems like the closer something gets to perfection the more those flaws stand out. One weird thing though is how my laptop had a hard time running this. This laptop is around 7 years old, and wasn't even top of the line then. The most demanding games I can play on lower settings is probably Darksiders and Portal 2. However retro styled games like this, Dusk, the newest Duke Nukem 3D version, and Hedon ran pretty poorly at times. I had to play this at the lowest resolution and even then there was one boss I had to turn on God Mode to win. It's not just that it ran poor, it often paused for a few seconds while the game still ran, meaning I'd just die when it resumed. I beat Hedon's last boss at 5 fps, but this was unplayable. I don't even know why, the boss wasn't some grand city sized monster, it was just a flying rectangular prism-shaped ship. When I get a new laptop I'll be sure to replay this along with those other games.

All that said, this game is still special to me. Lately I've been trying to stop buying games that "I'll play later". I don't like having a huge backlog of bought games, so I try to buy them and play them before moving on. Ion Fury was gifted to me by a friend. Not sure why exactly, they didn't explain. It was April 20th, so I don't know, maybe they're really into that 420 lifestyle. So despite some issues, it's a gem to me, right alongside other gifts like Assassin's Creed 3, Muramasa, and RE2 Remake.

Thanks again Kark

Last edited:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Not sure why exactly, they didn't explain. It was April 20th, so I don't know, maybe they're really into that 420 lifestyle.
Thanks again Kark
I know this will sound weird but I wanted to buy *something* after spending an hour looking through games and not buying anything for myself; so I picked you and Juegos at random at bought ya'll a game from your wishlist I know I had played and enjoyed. (I got him the Messenger)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@Karkashan
I thought you'd gotten a free copy by kickstarting their new game or something tbh. Thanks again.
I have like 10 games I've beaten that I mean to write about here but it's going slow. But I'll get to the Messenger soon. Meanwhile, I got distracted replaying Final Fantasy 6 (first time in over 15 years), which is still great (with caveats).

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Death's Gambit (PC)

This was a fun, moderately challenging 2D action game that was somewhat Dark Soulsy.

Had to play in windowed mode because lol fullscreen would drop frames hard any time I got hit and I had to alt tab out and in to fix it (until finally getting rid of fullscreen fixed the issue completely)

Kid Icarus: Uprising (3DS)

This game doesn't deserve to be abandoned on the 3DS. I bought it when it came out and finished it. Since then I tried to replay it 2 or 3 times, the last time being a month or so ago, and I would always quit a few chapters in. The controls can be a pain at times. Aiming with the touch screen, moving with the joy-nub and attacking with the L button is a hand cramp waiting to happen. It's not just that though, it's also the fact to dodge attacks you have to flick the nub before getting hit. I normally dislike that style of dodging anyways, especially when enemies can attack you from all directions, but when I'm uncomfortable playing it anyways, it becomes annoying.

If this game could have a dedicated dodge button on a normal controller I would enjoy it a lot more. I really do like this game a lot but the controls take it down some notches. The reason I finished it now is because I dug out the stand that came with the game. It felt weird playing this at my kitchen table but I'll be buggered if it didn't make the experience better. Granted, I still dislike the dodge in this game, sometimes it works, sometimes I'll dodge into another attack. I played this game around the 4-5 difficulty selection, I'd hate to see this shit on 8 or 9. Sometimes it just felt like my health was just melting without understanding why.

I love the flying sections though, reminds me of peak Star Fox and Sin & Punishment, it's just the land combat that could use reworking. I like how "monster of the week" the main story is, even if characters disappear for large sections of the game like ya boi Dark Pit. I did roll my eyes at some dialogue, but some of it also made me smile. It's refreshing playing a game where all the female characters make fun of the protag instead of being thirsty.

One of the few games I would buy a remaster of.

Golf Story (NS)
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech (NS)

Two genres I'm not that big into: golf and card based RPGs. The only way you could make me more hesitant is by throwing "procedural generation" and "rogue-like" in there too.

With Golf Story I heard it was a pretty good game, and I remember when I saw the announcement for the sequel, Sports Story, I figured I'd give it a go. All in, I enjoyed my time with it. The first hour or so I was a bit frustrated. The tutorial wasn't that clear, the game will tell you tell you how to do certain things without saying with those things are, like precision mode or aiming where to hit the ball itself. I also didn't know you could change your shot type until I looked it up online cause the game doesn't actually mention it. I didn't know what the stats were when you could improve them when leveling up. On top of all that the amount of clubs you have weren't explain (again, not a golfer), so I was a bit miffed. A day later I figured if the game was a sim it would probably go into detail, so instead I'm gonna play with what I know and just roll with it, that's when I started having a lot of fun.

Just by messing around I came to grips with it. Getting a hole-in-one was really satisfying, as was landing on a narrow strip of fairways. It's not just golf either, I loved it when the game had other objectives like destroying skeletons, popping beach balls on a crab, or solving a murder mystery. Towards the end of the game it became more about just playing rounds of 9 hole golf, which is fine, I am playing a game called Golf Story mind, but I wanted more off the wall objectives too.

Lastly, while the story and humor were pretty good, the lack of a villain kinda hurt it in my opinion. Finishing the game was a tad anti-climatic because no one got their comeuppance or anything. Sure, you succeeded in living out your dream, but it just ends. Oh well. A bit frustrating at times, but still recommended. The good and satisfying outweigh the annoyances.

Between Shovel Knight: King of Cards and now SteamWorld Quest, I sorta feel like I could get into card games. I'm not big into board game nights or anything, but I really enjoy the SteamWorld games so it was only a matter of time before I played this one. My feelings are similar to Golf Story in that some annoyances didn't prevent me from really digging this game overall.

I was disappointed in that the levels are all essentially the same. Each levels are just rectangles of varying length stitched together in different ways, the only thing that changes is the look of them, one takes place in a forest, another a cave, a tower, etc. Sure one has you looking for two keys, and another for levers to open a gate, but they're all played the same. This game is 100% about turn-based card combat. Where I'm not big into card games besides Cribbage, I'm no expert on dissecting and analyzing it.

You end up with 5 party members, 3 of which can be on your active team. Each member can have 8 cards in the deck and you have 6 cards to chose from each turn. You play 3 cards per turn then draw another 3 next turn. There's all kinds of cards to choose from, but where you can only select 8 it limits how I would normally play RPGs. You really gotta be laser focused on how you want to play. Each character has their role: mage, fighter, tank, etc. There's also no MP in this one, you build up a number of gears by doing basic cards like attacking, and skills cost gears. One character has a lot of skills that are really handy, but I couldn't just load them up because I needed attack cards to build up the gears. Some cards get buffed if another character moves before that one, or if certain status effects are in place, etc.

I'm probably not the best at explaining. If this was a normal RPG where things costed MP, I'd be in heaven. I love messing around with status buffs and debuffs and oh boy is there a ton of moves that get improved by certain statuses. One attack has an additional benefit if the attack landed is a crit, and sure enough that's another card that boosts the chance of landing crits. There's so many possibilities here, yet because it's 8 cards, I feel like I have to pick one style. It's also kinda the worst with bosses since you never know what they're gonna be weak against until you fight them. I ran into a boss with ice magic spells equipped, only for them to be immune or resistant to ice for example.

This is why I feel like I can't complain though. Maybe this is par for the course for card games? Maybe it's required to put on my big boy pants and use my galaxy brain to make the best deck possible? Perhaps. I did beat the final boss on my first try. I also didn't end up using one character besides the initial "I'll try this character to see what they're like" for a couple of fight. I stuck with the initial 3 characters until the last character came along, then used them. I also mostly stuck with the same cards throughout the game. I cannot imagine how many ways there are to play this game.

That said, around the halfway point is when I started to get really into it. It took awhile to click, but when I was having fun, it was stellar. Lowering an enemy's arcance defense, then going to town with an arcane spell that casts poison, and then using a spell that increases damage on poisoned enemies was really satisfying.

If they make another sequel in the SteamWorld series, I'd much prefer Heist 2 cause Heist is the best thing since tummy rubs, but I do expect a Quest 2 at some point. I would love to see a brand new SteamWorld thing as well. Maybe a top down action game thing time? Please?

Last edited:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Fire Emblem: Awakening is the 13th game in the Fire Emblem franchise, and the sixth one to be released outside of Japan. Of course, all ya'll probably already knew this as it came out overseas in 2013. A lot of you have played it already.

I'm sure no one that has is surprised that I have also played it before, seven times, with this playthrough being my eighth. I mean heck Robin is my avy here on TNE and my tagline is "Married to Chrom". So needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, this game is one of my favorite games of all time.

But what makes this playthrough special? Well, it all started in 2018, when others (and myself) were lamenting the lack of a Default Female Robin Let's Play of the game where she marries Chrom.

So since I had already done 1 Chrobin playthrough with my own custom MU, I figured another one wouldn't be a bad idea (especially since I had obtained a loop isolator to get rid of the audio issues I had with regards to recording 3DS gameplay).

Of course I record a few vids but then have this galaxy brain notion of "I should do all the DLC too, even the challenge map, Apotheosis!".

So 21 months and 114 in game hours later, I have beaten all the DLC and completed the game once again.

And I gotta say, I'm exhausted. I used Limit Breaker on all my parent units and also my blueberry babies Lucina and Morgan. I gave them Paragon to double their EXP. And then I turned off animations, went to the EXPonential Growth and Lost Bloodlines 3 DLC maps, and went to town. This maxed out the stats of basically everyone relevant and meant my child units were at capped stats at their base classes when I recruited them. ...Also they were maxed out during the Future Past DLC, which made that 3 map stretch much less of a headache when the NPC units (who couldn't be rescued to safety) were strong enough to shrug off almost all attacks headed their way.

That's not to say I didn't enjoy myself doing all this. I did, I just also want to acknowledge the literal grind that was this 8th Awakening playthrough.

FE Awakening is probably my all time favorite 3DS game, and with good reason. I can look back at all of that struggle and grind and headaches planning things out, and go "yeah, that was worth it. That was fun."

Trials of Mana** (PS4)

Potential GOTY for me here. I played it through 3 times to see all the final bosses, got the platinum trophy and (let me flex here for a second) did the optional challenge of beating the super boss in under 2 minutes on hard. Was trying to shave 9 seconds off and ended up doing it in a minute and a half.

I wrote about the original Trials not that long ago, and this remake honestly improves everything. Combat is faster, special moves don't pause the game anymore to play out, menus are way faster, the music got updated perfectly - the soundtrack is phenomenal, and they added more interaction between party members. Before you change classes you get a detail break down of what each class is and how the stats improve.

My biggest gripe with the original was how the story just pauses after a certain point while you hunt down the 8 Benevdons (big monsters). In the remake, that's more or less the same, but there's some dialogue between members after each fight. There's also some additional lines when you take ship rides and whatnot. It's small, but it adds up. Where I did 3 playthroughs I picked a different protagonist each time to get each final boss, and I was surprised some sections didn't change. No matter whose in your party you always help free Laurent from invading thieves despite the character whose from there, Riesz, not being in your party. Some cities aren't visited depending on who your party is made up of, so I expected some exclusive levels, minus the final area which correlates to the boss. Likewise, no matter who your lead member is, some cutscenes play out the same. For example, near the beginning you visit a priest who explains the lore, and every character says a slight deviation of telling the fairy companion to "go to the old man instead of me". It's minor, but noticeable.

One thing it does right is at the mid way point when you reach the Sanctuary of Mana, all the minor villains go as well. Depending on who you play as depends on which villain wins against the others, who then briefly explains their beef, mentions their master and vanishes or dies. It made me excited to start another playthrough to learn more. One set of characters turned out to be friends of one of the protagonists for example. Another thing that pops to mind is on my last go, I had Hawkeye in my party but not Riesz, (they were both in my party on my first run) and they had a new scene I never seen before, which turned out to be pretty cute. Makes me wonder just how many little things I still haven't seen.

My only real issue? Angela falls in love with Duran. I mean, come on. Hawkeye and Kevin are right there, you need to up your standards girl. Speaking of which, I never encountered her at all on my last run, despite so far every character making an appearance. I wonder if I missed anything optional.

I get the sense that the developers wanted to preserve as much as possible, improving only what really needed to be improved on i.e. combat, menus, quality of life, etc. I got the feeling they didn't want to tamper with the overall story or charm of it, which I respect. The creator of the series went on to form Grezzo so he doesn't work at Square Enix anymore. And boy, did they retain that charm. If you compare this to the FF7 Remake, you can tell which project got more time and money, but the vibrant colours, character/enemy designs, the previously mentioned music still make this presentation great.

I'm just overall so happy with this. Legend of Mana is the next in the series which I'm very curious about. I doubt I'll play any other Mana titles. I hear they mostly range from "big poo sandwich" to "big poo sandwich with ketchup". After Legend though, I'll finally give Grezzo's Ever Oasis a play, as it was directed by the creator of Mana.

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (PS4)

Did you like Donkey Kong Country? Than play this. They never marketed it as a spiritual successor (I don't think) but let's not fool ourselves. You can jump out of a roll even in mid air and there are levels that take inspiration from DK like barrel blasts, bramble, honey, etc. It's essentially "Donkey Kong Country trilogy Greatest Hits".

It's a pretty good game fantastic at times. Off the top of my head it's one of the better 2D platformers I've played in the modern era that wasn't made by Nintendo. One thing that really surprised me was the overworld. I wasn't too sure about it going into the game, I assumed it would just get in the way of the main levels, but apart of me kinda likes them more then the levels. It's very puzzle oriented, and has lots of secrets to find. The reason being that you can walk to a level portal and play it, or you can alter the overworld to make a sort of remix of that level. For example, one level portal is on a bridge, but you can raise the bridge vertically and now the levels is played from a completely different perspective. Most of the remixes are essentially brand new stages, although that are a few that change very little. Some are almost unrecognizable.

There are a few things that irk me. You can jump out of a roll as I've said, but you can sort of double roll to go faster and that momentum then carries over to your run, but you can't double press too fast or it doesn't count, and I never shook the feeling like the time frame you have to jump out of it should be a bit larger. There were some quirks too like getting caught up on geometry, felt like the hitboxes are ever so slightly a bit too big. The second last level also felt a bit awkward, you're being chased by an instant kill ball and chain, but if you run too far ahead the camera won't follow you, but you have to rush otherwise you die. The platforms are narrow with aerial enemies above, and one section the camera will suddenly follow you only to snap back in place leaving you completely off screen to be crushed by an obstacle. Nothing game breaking, just some quirks that pop up from time to time.

The big thing with this game is at the end of each level you rescue a bee which can protect you from one hit in the Impossible Lair. At any point in the game you can try the final level, so obviously the more levels you complete the more free hits you can take. I'm mixed on this. It's a really neat idea, but I'm not sure how much I like it. It's really hard, and I mean, yeah no shit it's the last level, and while the game gives you checkpoints they take place before each boss fight. It's a pretty long level too so thank whoever decided to give you checkpoints, but it also saves the amount of bees you had at that time, which yeah fair enough again, but having to re-fight the boss upon starting the checkpoint? I'm not a fan of. Playing it made me pretty salty but it's still doable. Weirdly, the second or third section was the hardest, but that could be me. There is the option of doing it without the bees, which I don't think I'll ever attempt.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
InFamous: Second Son (PS4)

This game is part of my PS+ Subscription, and I had been dabbling with it here, and there, but decided to hunker down, and give it a proper go. Like the previous infamous games, you develop new powers, collect goodies, liberate areas, and of course you can decide to be a good person, or evil person throughout the entire storyline. Naturally, if you do play these games, choose one or the other. Do not mix and match. In all previous Infamous titles, I always start as being a good person, and then if I feel up to it, I will try out the evil path as I do think to get the most out of these games, you need to play both paths.

Overall, I felt Second Son was good, but Delsin I wasn't feeling it really. Cole McGrath was a much better character, especially in the first one. The supporting characters you encounter I think were decent overall, but in some ways felt flat. I think the overall story was decent, and there's some good backstory for the different characters. One thing I did not particularly like was how there is practically nothing to do after you beat the game if you already finished the side stuff, which I did. Perhaps if I do play the evil path, I might just go through the game as quickly as possible, and then liberate the different areas After completing the main story.

Again, decent enough game, and had some good moments, but I did not feel it was anything special, especially compared to the first two. I don't know what Sucker Punch's plan are for the future of the franchise, but I would like to see them expand on it more than simply follow this person who is a conduit, or becomes one. Maybe a game where you actually do play a normal guy who is trying to defeat some bad conduits in some city. It would in a lot of ways not feel like a proper InFamous game but I think between the good, or evil paths, the locales, and just having conduits in the game could be interesting. Sort of an Ironman type of scenario where a guy has to build something to challenge conduits. Not sure though.

Legend of Mana (PS3)

I should really learn to give up on games I ain't feeling instead of forcing myself to slog through 15+ hours of a game.

So this is my fourth Mana game and it's my least favorite. Going into it I knew it was weird and super non-linear, but I still wanted to go into it as blind as possible. I heard there really isn't a main story, instead just a bunch of micro quests to rebuild the world. I heard the crafting system was bonkers and it was possible to permanently miss some quests depending on how you rebuild the world. Fair enough, I thought I'd just go at my own pace and chill with it. For awhile I was really enjoying it. It reminded me if you took out the main story of Majora's Mask and made all the side quests the main focus, I was down with that for awhile.

The lack of direction is really the main issue here. Your main character wakes up one day and is told to rebuild the world, so okay, I guess he was completely alone his whole life? Dunno, the game could not give less of a shit about it's main character. So you get things called Artifacts, which you place on the world map to make a town, cave, beach, dungeon, etc. First one you get is a town and you can talk to all sorts of characters and get quests which again, reminded me of Majora's Mask in a positive way. Those random ass characters you don't think are that important? Well they get a quest to flesh them out a bit. You got me game, just keep it up.

After awhile you collect more Artifacts to make more areas to get more quests. That itself makes a good gameplay system I'd be down for in a future game. My issue is since I didn't use a guide, my story was all over the place. My understanding is instead of one main story to follow, there are 3 or 4, one of which needs to be completed before the final level appears. After so many quests, Artifact placements and one of these stories completed, the Mana Tree fully blooms in which you can fight the final boss. So what's the issue? Say I do a quest for a girl named Pearl (legit sweetheart and one of my favorite side characters), she'll give you an Artifact which you'd think would contain more quests to further her plot line...nope. So I would do some quests for characters, get to know them a bit and be interested in how it'll play out and then never see them again, or won't see them until hours later. Characters came and went without fanfare. Towards the end of the game I'd run into a character and I'd struggle to remember what plot they were apart of. I did a couple of quests, unlocked a town, met those characters again who introduced themselves as if I met them for the first time. There is definitely an optimal way of playing through the game but hell if I know how to go about it. I never did finish Pearl's quest cause I couldn't find her again. The story I did complete involved a character letting another destroy the world because "I love him and it'll make him happy". Come on now.

Crafting? Wouldn't be able to tell you much. I never did unlock the ability to craft weapons, as I only unlocked the required side quest before the second last main story bit so I didn't bother finishing it. I learned how to craft instruments which are needed to cast magic, but it involves going out into the world, running into spirits, playing music for them. You can select one of four styles and one of two parts of a song, with multiple instruments to lure it closer to you in which you have to talk to them, then you get a coin. With that coin, you select a Primary and Secondary item from your inventory to make an instrument.....yeah I never bothered. So all the item chests I've been finding in the game? Useless. You can't use items during battle, only way to heal is to stand still or win the fight. Uh huh.

It doesn't matter though as the game is really easy. Never felt like I needed to craft better gear or change my abilities, which apparently there is an insane number to learn. I died a few times, the majority being on one boss that did around 95% of my health with one attack. You're really pushing it now game.

Honestly, this bums me out so much. The graphics, music and most of the characters really made me want to love this game. There is a fantastic one in here somewhere. Maybe if I did a 100% guide playthrough the story would play out much better, but if you need a guide to do that, I think the game failed. No matter what team I picked in Trials of Mana, the story played out well. If they decide to remake this game, I really hope they can fix it up and make it more straight forward. I said in my Trials write up that the Mana team at SE really seem like they want to preserve the games as much as possible, but if they do Legend I really hope they add a lot of quality of life improvements and make it so if I want to do Pearl's story I can much easier.

Music's great though.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Thanks for the writeup @CitizenOfVerona, that's a game I'd been wondering about for the longest time. I started it a long time ago and didn't get far, but always wondered if it was worth going through the rest. Maybe one day but I'm in no rush for sure.