God Shattering Star - 2020 Games Completed Thread

Minoria* (PS4)

This is made by the creator/team of the Momodora games, and it's a spiritual successor. I liked it a lot, but I can see why people would find it "just another indie metroidvania". You don't get a lot of upgrades, an uppercut that acts like a double jump, and an aerial dash. You can find some weapons that have a different combo, some weapons can give you some minor extra height while attacking, but that's really your lot in terms of movement abilities besides you basic dodge roll and parry.

There's quite a few combat and passive abilities you can equip though, extra EXP, more potent healing, extra attack power, and magic spells like fireballs, lightening, explosions, etc. Nothing really new, but it all works.

The world is also fun to run around in. This isn't Zebes or Dracula's castle, as each area is a self contain map that attaches to the next, kinda like if Metroid Fusion's levels were stitched together in on go instead of having to return to the main elevator to go to the next. The first playthrough took 7 hours to 100%, but I'm not sure if that includes my deaths, which I died a lot. Enemies hit like a freight train, but it's never cheap. Attacks are well telegraphed all around. A boss might smear your body across 5 dimensions the first couple of times, but it is a matter of learning their patterns. Like the last Momodora game, if you manage to beat a boss without taking damage you get a powerful spell. Good luck.

The story is a bit darker than Momodora as well, but it shares some beats. People of faith have to go into a dangerous area to save someone and defeat the heretics type of story. Again, like everything else, nothing really new, but executed well.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. Enough to play a second time to get the other ending. Unfortunately I didn't really find either ending all that satisfying, one because it feels like the "wrong" one, with a character even saying "did we make the right choice", and the other just...ending. Maybe a sequel after Momodora 5?

For many people I assume this is gonna be a rainy day type of game, but over the last few years, metroidvanias have become comfort food for me. It's well made and fun, that's all I want sometimes.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Minoria* (PS4)

This is made by the creator/team of the Momodora games, and it's a spiritual successor. I liked it a lot, but I can see why people would find it "just another indie metroidvania". You don't get a lot of upgrades, an uppercut that acts like a double jump, and an aerial dash. You can find some weapons that have a different combo, some weapons can give you some minor extra height while attacking, but that's really your lot in terms of movement abilities besides you basic dodge roll and parry.

There's quite a few combat and passive abilities you can equip though, extra EXP, more potent healing, extra attack power, and magic spells like fireballs, lightening, explosions, etc. Nothing really new, but it all works.

The world is also fun to run around in. This isn't Zebes or Dracula's castle, as each area is a self contain map that attaches to the next, kinda like if Metroid Fusion's levels were stitched together in on go instead of having to return to the main elevator to go to the next. The first playthrough took 7 hours to 100%, but I'm not sure if that includes my deaths, which I died a lot. Enemies hit like a freight train, but it's never cheap. Attacks are well telegraphed all around. A boss might smear your body across 5 dimensions the first couple of times, but it is a matter of learning their patterns. Like the last Momodora game, if you manage to beat a boss without taking damage you get a powerful spell. Good luck.

The story is a bit darker than Momodora as well, but it shares some beats. People of faith have to go into a dangerous area to save someone and defeat the heretics type of story. Again, like everything else, nothing really new, but executed well.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. Enough to play a second time to get the other ending. Unfortunately I didn't really find either ending all that satisfying, one because it feels like the "wrong" one, with a character even saying "did we make the right choice", and the other just...ending. Maybe a sequel after Momodora 5?

For many people I assume this is gonna be a rainy day type of game, but over the last few years, metroidvanias have become comfort food for me. It's well made and fun, that's all I want sometimes.
Thanks for writing this, I wouldn't have known about the game otherwise. I've only played Momodora 3 and Reverie, but I liked them so I just put this on my wishlist as well.