God Shattering Star - 2020 Games Completed Thread

Minoria* (PS4)

This is made by the creator/team of the Momodora games, and it's a spiritual successor. I liked it a lot, but I can see why people would find it "just another indie metroidvania". You don't get a lot of upgrades, an uppercut that acts like a double jump, and an aerial dash. You can find some weapons that have a different combo, some weapons can give you some minor extra height while attacking, but that's really your lot in terms of movement abilities besides you basic dodge roll and parry.

There's quite a few combat and passive abilities you can equip though, extra EXP, more potent healing, extra attack power, and magic spells like fireballs, lightening, explosions, etc. Nothing really new, but it all works.

The world is also fun to run around in. This isn't Zebes or Dracula's castle, as each area is a self contain map that attaches to the next, kinda like if Metroid Fusion's levels were stitched together in on go instead of having to return to the main elevator to go to the next. The first playthrough took 7 hours to 100%, but I'm not sure if that includes my deaths, which I died a lot. Enemies hit like a freight train, but it's never cheap. Attacks are well telegraphed all around. A boss might smear your body across 5 dimensions the first couple of times, but it is a matter of learning their patterns. Like the last Momodora game, if you manage to beat a boss without taking damage you get a powerful spell. Good luck.

The story is a bit darker than Momodora as well, but it shares some beats. People of faith have to go into a dangerous area to save someone and defeat the heretics type of story. Again, like everything else, nothing really new, but executed well.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. Enough to play a second time to get the other ending. Unfortunately I didn't really find either ending all that satisfying, one because it feels like the "wrong" one, with a character even saying "did we make the right choice", and the other just...ending. Maybe a sequel after Momodora 5?

For many people I assume this is gonna be a rainy day type of game, but over the last few years, metroidvanias have become comfort food for me. It's well made and fun, that's all I want sometimes.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Minoria* (PS4)

This is made by the creator/team of the Momodora games, and it's a spiritual successor. I liked it a lot, but I can see why people would find it "just another indie metroidvania". You don't get a lot of upgrades, an uppercut that acts like a double jump, and an aerial dash. You can find some weapons that have a different combo, some weapons can give you some minor extra height while attacking, but that's really your lot in terms of movement abilities besides you basic dodge roll and parry.

There's quite a few combat and passive abilities you can equip though, extra EXP, more potent healing, extra attack power, and magic spells like fireballs, lightening, explosions, etc. Nothing really new, but it all works.

The world is also fun to run around in. This isn't Zebes or Dracula's castle, as each area is a self contain map that attaches to the next, kinda like if Metroid Fusion's levels were stitched together in on go instead of having to return to the main elevator to go to the next. The first playthrough took 7 hours to 100%, but I'm not sure if that includes my deaths, which I died a lot. Enemies hit like a freight train, but it's never cheap. Attacks are well telegraphed all around. A boss might smear your body across 5 dimensions the first couple of times, but it is a matter of learning their patterns. Like the last Momodora game, if you manage to beat a boss without taking damage you get a powerful spell. Good luck.

The story is a bit darker than Momodora as well, but it shares some beats. People of faith have to go into a dangerous area to save someone and defeat the heretics type of story. Again, like everything else, nothing really new, but executed well.

So yeah, I really enjoyed it. Enough to play a second time to get the other ending. Unfortunately I didn't really find either ending all that satisfying, one because it feels like the "wrong" one, with a character even saying "did we make the right choice", and the other just...ending. Maybe a sequel after Momodora 5?

For many people I assume this is gonna be a rainy day type of game, but over the last few years, metroidvanias have become comfort food for me. It's well made and fun, that's all I want sometimes.
Thanks for writing this, I wouldn't have known about the game otherwise. I've only played Momodora 3 and Reverie, but I liked them so I just put this on my wishlist as well.

Metroid: Zero Mission (Wii U)
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)

Just a coincidence that me and ET were playing Metroid.

ZM feels shorter than I remember. That probably sounds stupid, maybe because I am, but I guess I'm too use to the Zebes in Super compared to the smaller template of the NES one. Still a good time.

I believe this was the first time I played P3 since high school. Ultimately, it is still a very fun game that sucked up my free time...once I got into it. I did the intro and first section of Bryyo, then didn't really plan on going back to it. It wasn't until after I drew Kraid that I realized I was still in the Metroid mood, so I gave it another go, then couldn't put it down. That said, I have some issues with it.

I guess the bottom line is I don't find a lot of the environments that interesting. Bryyo is neat with some cool lore, but Skytown is a chore. Super linear, all looks the same and cramped, making the many back and forths tedious at times. The Pirate Homeworld also doesn't do much for me aesthetically. I guess splitting the separate planets into separate zones doesn't help either. The G.F.S Valhalla is pretty dang spooky though. Also, no new power ups at all besides the Phazon "Hyper" stuff that you barely need at all. Hyper Grapple is only require twice. I guess at the time, being on the Wii when it was so new was enough, but we've seen all these toys before.

Lastly, I never thought I'd say this, but I don't miss this control scheme as much as I thought I would. I'm one of the few that never upgraded from the Gamecube versions of P1 and P2, I'm still fine with them. The game requires you swing the nunchuk a lot to rip stuff apart with your grappling beam, which oddly is more finicky when using it in combat. Aiming with IR is still cool, but again, I didn't miss it as much as I thought I would. Twisting, pulling, pushing, etc the remote for the game's many switches all comes off as gimmicky (I usually dislike that word) these days as well.

At the end of the day, I can't complain because it's still fun, it's still Metroid, I still got 100% items, so that really speaks for itself.

Crazy to think we're nearing 14 years since a console Prime game and all we have is a logo. What are the odds it ignores the extra scene after the credits?

edit: Samus is just the coolest

Last edited:
My second playthrough of Ocarina of Time (3DS)

This year I really discovered how much I enjoy challenge runs. There's a couple of youtube channels that focus on this, so that led me to doing a merchant-less run in RE4. Similarly I wanted to do a challenge run of something else so that led me to replaying Ocarina. I initially thought of doing a 3 heart run, but watching the intro cutscene I realized that I ain't fucking around. So I asked myself:

Can I beat this with 3 hearts?
Can I beat this without using red/blue potions or fairies in a bottle?
Can I beat this without using the sword?

Started up as usual, getting the sword and shield. Immediately failed because I tend to mash A and B skipping dialogue and cutscenes, cause we all know mashing buttons makes a game load faster. It's fine though as I didn't use it on an enemy or pot/grass/whatever. I accidentally swung my sword a few times after cancelling out of menu screens. My very limited plan was to use Deku sticks, so I bought one from the store to use to farm for others from Deku Plants outside of the Deku Tree. Issue 1: Plants are immune to sticks. So I went into the Tree and got the slingshot, only to discover you can't kill the plants for sticks either. Got trapped in the room where I had to light a torch to escape so I had to save/quit to warp out. I farmed for money to buy more sticks and finished the dungeon.

That was my strategy for Child Link, use my slingshot and bombs once I got them to attack any enemies that needed to be attacked, saving my sticks until necessary.

Once I become a grown up, my plan was to get the megaton hammer ASAP. I got it and tried to finish the dungeon but I couldn't beat Volvagia. I tried 5 times or so but one swipe or one fire breath attack killed me. I went to the forest temple to get the bow and arrows. Finished the dungeon, using the hammer against the stalfos and using a bottle to play energy tennis with Ganon's Shadow. Made it back to Volvagia and when he was flying around I use my bow on him, that lowered his health enough for one more hammer swing.

The water temple was mostly the same as a normal playthrough, the hookshot took care of most enemies anyways. Going into this run there were two fights that gave me pause, and Shadow Link was one of them. Turns out he's a big ol' bitch who went down in two jump attacks with the hammer. This shocked me as those flying skulls took 5 or 6 swings to kill. Different enemies must be programmed to take certain damage with items rather than a common attack stat.

Onto the shadow temple. The temple itself was fine, but Bongo Bongo was where I failed the swordless run. You cannot damage him with anything but the sword. I tried so many times, mostly because the fucking targeting system and Link sometimes not firing an arrow when I wanted him too, maybe I wasn't pushing the button enough. Once he's stunned, only the sword works. Din's Fire, the hammer, arrows, bombs, nothing. I also used a fairy on one fight but I died on that attempt anyways, the fight I did win I didn't use any healing so that challenge wasn't failed. It's also at this point where death in one hit isn't uncommon anymore.

Spirit temple was easy peasy all around.

Ganon's castle was easy too. Ganon went down with a bottle, light arrows and hammer. For the final battle I used Nayru's Love. This is swordless fail number two. You have to use the sword on the final hit to get him down, and use the sword again to trigger the final cutscene.

So yeah, unless you use some weird B storage item glitch, finishing this game without the sword is impossible, but oh so close. Three hearts is doable.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Metroid: Samus Returns (2DS)

I put off replaying this for a few reasons - playing Switch instead of my 2DS for portable gaming, hoping for an HD remaster, fearing the haters had been right and that SR wouldn't be special without that new-game sheen.

Y'know what? The haters are full of it. This is a rocking game. If anything, I was probably too hard on it when it came out.

The inevitable comparison is AM2R. That is a sorta greatest-hits fan game of GBA styles. Samus Returns is something else entirely. The combat* is unabashedly Other M-y, but the progression structure is more Castlevania-y, due to the teleport stations. I dig it. It lets the map breathe a bit, since it's simple to go back to earlier areas (although you don't have to, and there's plenty of crisscrossing retraversal in each section).

[*If you find the combat too repetitive, you're not creative enough. They literally set up enemies that aren't parry-able. They goad you into doing a parry on one enemy, shooting missles at another, and then directionally aiming the wave beam at an enemy barely onscreen.]

I put in a dozen hours, got well and truly stuck twice. You could speedrun SR, but this is probably the largest 2D Troid, by a fair margin.

My only real complaint is that the circle-pad analog movement makes for some quibbles (you need more momentum built up to make certain jumps), and I'd prefer Mercury Steam didn't ape Prime art quite so much.

Otherwise? Don't listen to the eternally-impossible-to-please Metroid fandom. This is good stuff.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (NS)

So, I beat the story, on to the huge post-game, and I am at 99% completion on the whole game. I play to do the last few parts of Post-game content that I have yet to finish.

I loved this game more than I can say. It felt more like a Zelda game than a Warriors game. It was everything and more that I wanted it to be.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Burnout Paradise (NS)

So, technically I completed this a couple months ago as I got my Burnout Elite license already, but I did not finish Big Surf Island, nor the Bikes section either. But I had to 100% (minus the Freeburn stuff, which I don't count towards it) because this game is rather personal for me.

Back around 2008/2009, I owned this game for PS3, and like before, got my Burnout Elite license, and was on my way to completing Big Surf Island, and the Bikes DLC (at the time, the DLC was all separate since I got the OG game). Unfortunately, my fat PS3 (80GB with software BC) bit the dust with the dreaded YLOD, plus I did not have anything backed up, and this was before PS+ was a thing. So I lost everything. All my saves were gone, and Burnout Paradise was the game I put the most time, and effort into. Despite revisiting the game a couple times after I got a PS Slim later on, I just could not bring myself into completing it 100%. And for years, I held onto my PS3 copy until recently when I heard Burnout Remastered was going to be a thing. It was finally time to part ways with my PS3 copy, and await the inevitable Switch port. And oh boy was the wait worth it.

Burnout Paradise is definitely an open world racing game of its time, and it both helps it, and holds it back. For starters, the lack of fast travel does turn some folks off I'm sure, but luckily, there's usually something else to do in the meantime, so a road rule, or another event can be done. Of course, if I'm looking to head back to one of the garages, there are a few areas in the game where getting to it can take a few minutes. Not a major gripe by any means, but something to note. Also like fast travel, the fact you can't just go to the game menu, and select a car, or event can be a bit of a nuisance. But given this is a "remaster" rather than a full on remake, I generally speaking give it a pass.

The racing events are usually interesting, but the lack of more varied destinations, or checkpoint based races on a larger scale is too bad. I think the events work well enough, and when you get into things like a stunt event, that is where you feel more free to do what you want. Just make sure you have a good understanding of the layout to know when a jump, corkscrew, message board, or what else are around to rack up huge points. Getting over a million is not terribly difficult as more just a result of getting long stunt runs. Given this is a game before Autolog, it's too bad you can't really compete with your friends like we could on NFS Most Wanted.

One aspect that I think is generally overlooked in these types of games is the driving physics, which I quite honestly think EA has perfected it over the years with later NFS titles after Paradise launched. Just the ability to go into a corner without really having to let off on the gas, and just send it through the corner with a good combo of ebrake, and normal braking. It truly does defy physics, but in the confines of an arcade racer such as this, it works quite well.

Overall, after putting over 70hours into Paradise, I'm glad I got the chance to revisit it. Some say it's the best Burnout, while others say it's the worst. I think both groups are right. Paradise does a lot of things well, and yet it held back by the traditions of Burnout 3, and Revenge. I understand the original creators of Burnout have since Paradise started their own company, and made a spiritual successor in the form of Dangerous Driving that came out I think in 2019. Supposedly, the sequel to that, Dangerous Driving 2, is on its way to Switch in 2021, so if that is the case, we might also have another potential racing game on our hands.

I look at Burnout Paradise as the type of game that never really excels in anything sans the crashing, but it's also not bad either. The game just works, and even after you complete stuff, you can still roam around to your heart's content, and just drive. The online road rules might be the only thing that would keep me coming back...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Black Mesa Xen (PC)
FEAR (PC)
DOOM Eternal (PC)
Doom (Doom Eternal emulation)
Doom 64 (PC)
Nier Automata (PC)
Resident Evil 3 Remake (PC)
Blazing Chrome (PC)
Evil Within (PC)
Resident Evil Remake HD (PC)
Resident Evil 0 HD (PC)
Final Fantasy 6 (SNES)
Trials of Mana (NS)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC)
Crysis 1 (PC)
Crysis 2 (PC)
Burnout Remastered (PC)
Blasphemous (NS)
Crysis 3 (PC)
Metro: Exodus (PC)
Metro 2033 (PC)
Metro: Last Light (PC)
Talos Principle (PC)
Framed Collection (PC)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC)
Penumbra: Overture (PC)
Penumbra: Black Plague (PC)
Penumbra: Requiem (PC)
Penumbra: Necrologue (PC)
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (PC)
Soma (PC)
Amnesia: Rebirth (PC)
Death's Gambit (PC)
Blasphemous DLC (NS)
Hollow Knight (PC)
Bloodstained Ritual of the Moon (PC)
1001 Spikes (PC)

I meant to write about these as I beat them since it's the pandemic and I didn't have much else to do, but you know how it is.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Black Mesa Xen (PC)
FEAR (PC)
DOOM Eternal (PC)
Doom (Doom Eternal emulation)
Doom 64 (PC)
Nier Automata (PC)
Resident Evil 3 Remake (PC)
Blazing Chrome (PC)
Evil Within (PC)
Resident Evil Remake HD (PC)
Resident Evil 0 HD (PC)
Final Fantasy 6 (SNES)
Trials of Mana (NS)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (PC)
Crysis 1 (PC)
Crysis 2 (PC)
Burnout Remastered (PC)
Blasphemous (NS)
Crysis 3 (PC)
Metro: Exodus (PC)
Metro 2033 (PC)
Metro: Last Light (PC)
Talos Principle (PC)
Framed Collection (PC)
Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC)
Penumbra: Overture (PC)
Penumbra: Black Plague (PC)
Penumbra: Requiem (PC)
Penumbra: Necrologue (PC)
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (PC)
Soma (PC)
Amnesia: Rebirth (PC)
Death's Gambit (PC)
Blasphemous DLC (NS)
Hollow Knight (PC)
Bloodstained Ritual of the Moon (PC)
1001 Spikes (PC)

I meant to write about these as I beat them since it's the pandemic and I didn't have much else to do, but you know how it is.

That's, y'know, a lot.