Halo Enthusiast

Ex-Actarus

We're going to get massive amount of Halo related news during E3, so it would be great to have a thread for all the Halo lovers here at Nintendo Enthusiast.

Halo is one of my top 5 favorite franchise out there and I simply cannot wait for E3 with Halo 5 and possibly the Halo collection remastered.

In the meantime, here is some Halo love :

Last edited:
I've never played a single Halo game due to my inability to purchase an Xbox (I know a few are on PC) but I'd really like to play all of them. I know it's right up my alley.

Can't enjoy Republic Commando and not have any interest in Halo.

Let's see here, my history with Halo.....

I started with Halo 3 in the early days of the Xbox 360, pretty good fun. Campaign was fun enough. I didn't have Live at this point so I never experienced online on Halo 3. Anywho, years later Reach is about and I'm like, "woah, this looks fun". I talk to my friend about it and it turns out they're into Halo big time, well some of em anyway. So I get Reach and have a blast online and single player. Custom matches, matchmaking, such fun.....ahhh.....Now at some point here my dad finds Halo 1 and 2 for the OG Xbox. I give 1 a whurl and I'm like "lol wat is dis". Then Halo 4 comes around, I pre-order and it's very fun. Some kewl changes and stuff but w/e, it's a solid game. I still play it every now and then and will play it with any TNE peeps if they have it!

Halo is the FPS I'm best at though my competence varies lol. But still, I love Halo. It's a very fun FPS, what can I say. Vehicles, customisation, great gameplay, single player ain't bad either.......you can't go wrong.

Now onto Halo 5....I'll probably get a Xbone when this releases or not too long after. My friends have all moved onto the Xbone so I need to get it anyway, and Halo 5 shouldn't disappoint.

Ex-Actarus

@Jacesonnall

Even if they look similar in look, Republic Commando and Halo play differently. I had Republic Commando on my Xbox and the 2 the Halo games as well. And despite being a heavy halo player, I could not get use to Republic Commando.

I think Republic Commando is probably closer to a Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six Patriots as your squad is essential to defeat enemies waves. There is just no way you can defeat the most powerful droids by performing melee or in close combat. In Halo, you can !

That said, I think the high difficulty level of Republic Commando will help you master Halo ; even in Legendary mode, I don't think Halo can match Republic Commando difficulty ( I never finished even in normal mode... ).

@Jacesonnall

Even if they look similar in look, Republic Commando and Halo play differently. I had Republic Commando on my Xbox and the 2 the Halo games as well. And despite being a heavy halo player, I could not get use to Republic Commando.

I think Republic Commando is probably closer to a Ghost Recon or Rainbow Six Patriots as your squad is essential to defeat enemies waves. There is just no way you can defeat the most powerful droids by performing melee or in close combat. In Halo, you can !

That said, I think the high difficulty level of Republic Commando will help you master Halo ; even in Legendary mode, I don't think Halo can match Republic Commando difficulty ( I never finished even in normal mode... ).
Perhaps not similar in gameplay, but the atmosphere is what pulls me in. I just love me a good sci-fi game.

Ex-Actarus

Let's see here, my history with Halo.....

I started with Halo 3 in the early days of the Xbox 360, pretty good fun. Campaign was fun enough. I didn't have Live at this point so I never experienced online on Halo 3. Anywho, years later Reach is about and I'm like, "woah, this looks fun". I talk to my friend about it and it turns out they're into Halo big time, well some of em anyway. So I get Reach and have a blast online and single player. Custom matches, matchmaking, such fun.....ahhh.....Now at some point here my dad finds Halo 1 and 2 for the OG Xbox. I give 1 a whurl and I'm like "lol wat is dis". Then Halo 4 comes around, I pre-order and it's very fun. Some kewl changes and stuff but w/e, it's a solid game. I still play it every now and then and will play it with any TNE peeps if they have it!

Halo is the FPS I'm best at though my competence varies lol. But still, I love Halo. It's a very fun FPS, what can I say. Vehicles, customisation, great gameplay, single player ain't bad either.......you can't go wrong.

Now onto Halo 5....I'll probably get a Xbone when this releases or not too long after. My friends have all moved onto the Xbone so I need to get it anyway, and Halo 5 shouldn't disappoint.
Nice Halo history :)

In a way you were licky to start with Halo 3. For me - and many Halo fans - Halo 3 is the weakest Halo Campaign to date ( yes even Halo 4 campaign is better ). So to start with Halo 3 and then play Reach, it's quite a leap !

So here is my Halo campaigns ranking :

1. Halo Combat Evolved
Not the strongest story, but the campaign variety, the incredible and ground breaking level design, the gameplay, make it a classic for the ages ! Even to this day, Combat Evolve campaign has yet to be topped by ANY military shooter ( Modern Warfare is close though ).

2. Halo Reach
Halo Reach has the best story and dialogues of ALL Halo games.
The irony here, is that Masterchief is nowhere to be seen... And that epic "let's fight" ending !

3. Halo 3 ODST
Ok , it was a short campaign and the ODST are not as exciting to play with ( they're not upgraded humans as Spartan ). But it's probably the most emotional campaign. I love those flashback gameplay sequences where you see what happened to Rookie's pals.

4. Halo 2
I was going to put halo 4 in front of Halo 2, but just for the AMAZING first 2 missions, Halo 2 deserves to be in front of Halo 4.

5. Halo 4
Ok, I was very excited after the first playthrough, but after playing the campaign again, you realize, it was kind of average for a Halo game ( and too linear ).

6. Halo 3
Just a poor written campaign and a very disappointing level design. Besides the Brutes are a poor enemy, the Elites are so much better !

I'm not referring to multiplayer, because it's not my thing either. Still, on that note, here is my multi ranking of Halo games :

1. Halo Reach ( the Perfection )
2. Halo 2 ( biggest multi revolution since GoldenEye )
3. Halo Combat Evolved ( the most memorable maps )
4. Halo 3 ODST ( Firefight is born )
5. Halo 4 ( could be better... )
6. Halo 3 ( sorry I just don't like the game )

Last edited:

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I've owned every Xbox up till now and yet I've never even played halo LOL.

And I have both ODST and Reach too XD.

Ill probably get into it when I do get an Xbone.

Though I've only recently picked up my first Xbox, I've always quite liked the Halo series. The universe and characters were interesting, and the multiplayer was loads of fun. I remember going with my brothers to their friends' house and playing LAN matches in Halo 1 or 2 with some of the other neighborhood kids. It was always fun playing with 6 or 7 other people.

Ex-Actarus

Time to revive this thread as Halo is just around the corner. And now, I feel the hype :). Apart from Zelda, I don't think there is a franchise that generates more hype in my veins. Halo is the "only" franchise where I owned and played everything single games.

For some reason, as - many other Halo fans - I wasn't that hyped for Halo 5 Guardians. The fact that Masterchief is a co-star alongside agent Locke displeases me a lot. I want Masterchief to be the center of the intrigue ! Besides, they were many changes in the gameplay that makes me worried. The squad aspect, the faster pace of the game ( pretty un-Halolike, as the franchise is reckoned for it slow pace ), the infinite sprint, the scope option of every weapons, no more instant death but a revival through the other spartans, etc. And I'm not even going through the multplayer, I've not a fan of Warzone.

Having said that, the game looks absolutely dope. I've watched several previews and the game looks nothing short of spectacular with gorgeous cinematics and incredible actions sequences. Agent Locke and Team Osiris ( Agent Locke squad ) seem legit. This could potentially be one of the best Halo game to date. 343 has possibly delivered the unthinkable. it has Game of the year potential all over it. I'm so hyped !!!

Blue team all the way !!!

Ex-Actarus

Ok, reviews are now out ( for the most part ). And my hype went down big time...

Apparently, you play as Masterchief only in 3 of the 15 missions... This is INSANE !

WHY ? WHY ? WHY ?

This makes me mad.

I don't care about Locke ! Give me Masterchief ! You want to make a story about Locke, makes a spin of Halo Guardians or whatever, but don't touch the main series !!!

Bungie understood that VERY WELL, they made Halo 3 ODST and Halo Reach, two games without Masterchief, and it worked great, because we knew those were spin offs .

This is the first Xbox One Halo game and you give me Locke ?

I'm so disappointed... This reminds me of Metal Gear 2 : Sons of Liberty or Halo 2 type of letdown.

I'll still play the game, but thanks 343 for ruining everything !!!

Last edited:
I am looking into buying a Xbone soon and this game is a big reason why....love me some Halo multiplayer. The single player is just a one and done thing really for me personally, so I don't have any worries about what Actarus is on about.

Ex-Actarus

Ok here my first Halo 5 impressions ( only on the Campaign ) :

I was incredibly hyped for this game, and until now probably ( mission 5 ) I'm disappointed. As expected the main problems are the same that plagued Halo 4 ; story and the Prometheans ; but also Team Osiris ( Locke's team ).

The Good stuff :

- The level design is a step up from Q4
- Human weapons are a big improvement ( especially the shotgun )
- Blue team ( Masterchief team ) stills the show, as expected
- Sounds and lightening effects are top notch
- Controls : still the best in the FPS world
- 1 stunning mission ( the first Masterchief mission ), one of the best Halo mission EVER
- Buck, clearly the best support character. I wish he had a great role. He should have been Osiris team leader
- Mission length is pretty good : not too short and not too long

The Bad

- The AI is pretty bad, this is coop thought game, you've got to deliver on that front
- 60fps : yes that's sounds odd, but the quest for 60fps has affected the graphics. The game looks good, but not stellar. It looks like an improved version of Halo 4
- Prometheans weapons still suck
- Mission structure as uninspired as in halo 4
- Vehicle control is pretty loose, not good
- the score is not as good as you would expect from a Halo game
- No many vehicle at this stage
- No improvement on Covenant weaponry ?

The Ugly

- The Story... WTF !!! It's all over the place. You have no clue what people are doing and for what for.
- Locke... Is it possible to have less charisma ?
- Support characters are lame, especially when you compare Blue and Osiris spartans to the larger than life Reach spartans...
- Too much Prometheans, we don't like them as enemies. They're even worse than the Flood.

I'm still have a lot to do, so maybe my impressions will evolve. Those are just early impressions.