How to Make a Wii U Game

Menashe

I'd like to put together an exhaustive guide for game-designer-wannabes to learn how to make a Wii U game if they set their minds to becoming solo indie developers. I would only cover Unity and HTML5/Javascript development. Of course, I haven't dabbled in Wii U game development myself so I'd like to turn to members of the community to help out with this guide. (Of course, you'll be credited in the final guide on the front page of the site.) We don't need to write it all out ourselves, rather, to link to helpful articles on the web.

- general game design guides to explain concepts of game design- articles about general programming concepts
- beginner articles about what an engine like Unity does for you- in-depth Unity guides- articles about making 2D pixel art and pixel animation- articles about making 3D models and helpful software (Blender) - programming guides with HTML5 and Javascript- DOY sfx guides and music composition- places you can get free music, sfx, and art assets- places you can collaborate with programmers, musicians, and artists- guide to the Wii U API to make use of the GamePad and Wii U hardware

Menashe

I'm counting on you CyanPrime for this thread! :p
(And DarkDepths, Omar, any of the devs on MTD sub-forums, and anyone else who has dabbled in game development.)

Koenig

The Architect
May I recommend "Extra Credits" as source of information? They are group dedicated to making videos relating to the various aspects of game design. Aside from being a good information source, there videos are also quite enjoyable.
http://extra-credits.net/
http://www.youtube.com/user/ExtraCreditz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oK8UTRgvJU

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The quintessential game design study book is Salen and Zimmerman's Rules of Play. Another highly recommended and popular book is Jesse Schell's Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses.

Clicking on each image takes you to the amazon page. If you just want to read something that will kickstart you with good knowledge about what you're doing as a developer, get the Art of Game Design book. The other book, Rules of Play, is much more in-depth.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
That's a massive undertaking considering most of the topics you listed could fill entire books by themselves.
If you have no programming knowledge, the fastest and easiest way to make a game for the Wii U is using Construct 2 since it supports Nintendo's Web Framework.
Regardless of the engine you use, you have to be a Nintendo Authorized Developer to develop for the Wii U.

Menashe

That's a massive undertaking considering most of the topics you listed could fill entire books by themselves.
If you have no programming knowledge, the fastest and easiest way to make a game for the Wii U is using Construct 2 since it supports Nintendo's Web Framework.
Regardless of the engine you use, you have to be a Nintendo Authorized Developer to develop for the Wii U.
The goal would be to link to the books you've found helpful or the online guides and articles. Meaning, it would be a helpful place to get people pointed in the right direction to do more research for themselves.

Cyan

Found this on Reddit. It's suppose to be a really easy, and in depth tutorial on how to make a side-scroller in Reddit.
http://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/runner/

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Hey Menashe, this is a good idea :)
I don't think I would ever recommend a game creator (with no audio experience) to try and make SFX or music themselves. It is always severely detrimental to the game as a whole, and a waste of time on their part trying to figure out what on earth they're doing. What I would recommend instead is:
A) a list of places to find SFX and music (as you stated)B) guides for free, SIMPLE audio editing tools (for changing formats, or perhaps how to loop music, or how to use music given to you in stems)C) advice for working with sound designers and composers.
C is a better option for the creator from a quality standpoint, but not necessarily a financial one, however I think it's really really important that you have something like that. You need to have sections that cover how to have a successful collaboration, and what tools you can use to help organise a project and promote communication between team members.
Also you haven't covered audio implementation which would certainly be a more practical and useful guide for creators, since they would be doing it themselves but may not be aware of an audio designers needs.
I would be happy to help with this but I don't know that I have that much time to spend on it. It would take a while. If you can provide details on the format of how you'd like this information to be presented, then that would be useful :) I can't commit to anything at this moment though.