I'm leaving the Nintendo ship - PS/XB Tips and Appreciation

Odo

All right fellas, please, don't judge me, I'm not going mad. I've been sleeping on this matter for some time and I made up my mind. Of course the Zelda delay was the last fact that I needed to make this decision, but I think you all are aware about my negativity towards Nintendo.

Last year, XCX and Splatoon made me a bit happy, but all the news about NX and all this idea that Nintendo can survive alone -- without third party nor following the industry standards -- is just beyond me. I strongly disagree and I'm against almost everything the company has been doing recently.

---*---

Well, this is my situation: I can't afford more than one console. Besides I don't have enough time. So after thinking about it, I realised that buying a Wii U back in the days was a bad decision.

I know that most of TNE people love Wii U and have 1000000 hours on it.

I'm happy for you, but I don't. I don't have a thousand hours on my Wii U and my Wii U owes me a lot. There are 4 to 5 titles that I enjoy like Splatoon, XCX, Hyrule Warriors. But it's not enough. After all the decisions Nintendo made on the last 4 years, I wish I had bought a PS3 instead. Perhaps a PS4.

I don't have a reason to explain why my Wii U owes me, this is just personal. This is just the realisation that I'm not into Nintendo any more.

For the people that will buy a NX, they're going to get a Zelda on the first day, they have My Nintendo to give them discounts for all the NX/Wii U games that they will buy while I had to buy them full price and live with this black rock called Wii U.

---*---

I'm not going to wait for the NX, the new Zelda, or anything Nintendo is cooking. Because I just don't trust the brand any more. All the excitement that I see here about the NX or the hope that Nintendo will deliver a killer console is strange for me, because I don't feel it at all. Before Wii U, many people told me that Wii U would be something else. Wii U is on the market for years and lacks several genres, several franchises and Nintendo can't even pull off a Zelda game. That's the result of all my Wii U hope.

My excitement about Zelda that I used to have last year is forever gone. I doubt the new Zelda is going to be special. For me, Zelda is going to be just a huge game with huge dungeons and the same weapons that everybody already knows. I'm not going to pay $60 on the new Zelda. I'm not. I believe now that Miyamoto and Co are old timers that once developed games like Super Mario Galaxy. It's a thing of the past.

---*---

My negativity towards Nintendo is going to become toxic if I still keep discussing it. Once I told someone here that if they really don't like Nintendo, they should move on and go to another forum. But that's something that I do believe.

It's not fair to become a hater in a community that still believes in whatever Nintendo is doing in Kyoto. I'm not going to troll the community's hope and tastes. So I need fresh air and a good discussion about other platforms, other franchises, because this is my new quest.

My 3DS is going to become mostly a Pokemon machine. I'll keep buying whatever runs Pokemon or other RPGs that I'm fond of. Franchises that most people here don't give a damn. From now on, I'll only look for special deals or used Nintendo consoles. So I don't have much to add about Nintendo. That's why I want to discuss about other waters and retire my Nintendo enthusiast personality.

---*---

Why so serious, right? Well, I don't want to sound dramatic, but leaving Nintendo is something that I wanted to state and I can't keep up with more than one TV console. I just can't go to a shop and buy a PS4 tomorrow and keep Nintendo as a second console to fix my problem. It's not as simple as that for me. My PC is rubbish and I can't turn it into a gaming machine tomorrow.

Plus, I'm writing all this and making this thread, because maybe that are other people here thinking the same, so we can talk about it. If you're sure about leaving Nintendo or if you're not yet but are thinking, if you have other console and want to share tips and recommendations: this is the thread.

---*---

If someone tells me that I'm just depressed, showing off my disappointment and I'll regret playing the sameness of the other consoles, well.. it means that perhaps I just need to quit gaming. I hope it's not the case. :D

---*---

This thread is about PS and XB appreciation and tips for those who'd like to move from Nintendo or just have one of those consoles or are thinking about getting another console. In my case, I'm a Nintendo owner that hasn't touched a PS for more than a decade and has never owned a XB. So, I need tips to migrate.

For what I've been reading, I think you guys may be thinking like me or may already own another console and are happy on the competition side:

@Koenig
@CitizenOfVerona
@nerdman
@FriedShoes
@Goodtwin

(Sorry if I misunderstand one of you ^ guys , so disconsider if I did. If you're still 100% on the Nintendo ship, sorry for putting your name here :)

---*---

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Just touching on the PS/MS part of your discussion, we are a Nintendo/Sony household. Steve2 has a PS4, and he absolutely loves it. (He had a PS3 before that.) Over the last few years, I've gotten to see the quality gaming experiences he's had on the Playstation. So, if you are an RPG/Adventure fan (like you mentioned above), I wholeheartedly suggest going with the PS4. You've got Dragon Age, the Tales of games, Witcher, and many other games. Would have to do more research, right now just shooting from the hip. But, yeah, I say PS4 over XBone, hands down.

Odo

Just touching on the PS/MS part of your discussion, we are a Nintendo/Sony household. Steve2 has a PS4, and he absolutely loves it. (He had a PS3 before that.) Over the last few years, I've gotten to see the quality gaming experiences he's had on the Playstation. So, if you are an RPG/Adventure fan (like you mentioned above), I wholeheartedly suggest going with the PS4. You've got Dragon Age, the Tales of games, Witcher, and many other games. Would have to do more research, right now just shooting from the hip. But, yeah, I say PS4 over XBone, hands down.
Yeah, I feel the same. XBox has some nice franchises, but it seems to me that PS is the place for RPGs and Japanese titles.

So far I'm thinking about moving to the PS side.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I'd go PS over XB. And I'd find a cheap PS3 first and foremost. Buy Vanquish, BioShock/Infinite (hell, get 2 as well, I hear it's good), ICO/SotC Collection, and something like Dark Souls/Demon Souls. Profit.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Personally if I was getting a new console between the XBone and PS4, I'd go for the PS4. Not only are you getting all the current multiplats, but there are good exclusives like Bloodborne and whatever Sony's Japan studio (SCEJ or SIEJ) makes. If you're going to look for more stuff that's somewhat similar to Splatoon, I'd say look at Blizzard's Overwatch, or maybe the upcoming Titanfall 2 (unless it ends up being bad, which I think is not likely).

Anyway, just because you're switching platforms doesn't mean you have to switch forums, you can stick around as much as you want, your presence and opinions are always welcome here. :mhug:

When I was in college I was a one man console - the Wii. Right now, I have over 30 games plus some VS and WiiWare titles. I love the Wii. So many great games and quirky third party support.

Now I'm not debating whether I like the U or not, cause I do. But compared to the Wii I think it was a step backwards. Not a bad step, but a step. A lot of the games Nintendo made are very similar to Wii, DKC, Mario, Smash, Mario Kart. I love them to pieces...but I played it before and not that long ago.

I bought a PS3 tale end of 2014 and fucking love it. Man was I missing out. Dead Space, Demon's Souls, Dishonored, Bioshocks, and currently Sly Cooper are some of my favorites for the system. Not including Bulletstorm, Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, Batman. And a few others that I enjoyed but not like GOAT tier or anything (Rage, Driver, Shadows of the Damned, South Park).

The perfect setup for me would be another Wii/PS3 era. Great new FRESH Nintendo experiences with games like No More Heroes, MadWorld, Rayman fleshing out the library, and the PS3 for those great third party games. That's where I think Wii U dropped the ball.

Still, I do enjoy my Wii U, just, yeah.

I think I'm gonna buy a PS4 this year. Microsoft got their mitts on a few games I want, but they're coming to PC so I'll wait until I upgrade to get them, I can be VERY patient with games. Took me 5 years to play Splinter Cell Conviction, and I have such a hard on for that series. Cuphead is coming to Steam whoop whoop. I want to know more about Recore, and that's also a Windows game.

PS4 has Bloodbourne, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, and a few other exclusives while still have those 3rd parties. Dishonored 2 at some point makes me happy alone.

Sorry I kinda ranted there, point is, I do feel ya Odo. The cheap PS3 and cheap backlog of games I missed out on really helped me out through those long periods of nothing on the Wii U. Wii U's schedule was mostly one game in Feb, one in May, then one from Sept to Dec. (I'm talking retail releases).

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
After sending back my X1 twice in under 10 times turning it on. I would go PS4 if I could turn back the clock. When picking between 2 consoles very similar always go for the market leader. There gonna get almost all 3rd party software.

Odo

I sympathize with you in almost every regard. Do be sure to drop by TNE once and a while though.
Thank you. I've been talking to some other Wii U owners and I found others that are almost selling their wii us. The disappointment is huge out there. Many of my friends that own Wii U are sad these days.

Last year I saw many Nintendo-only youtubers becoming general gaming youtubers. Nintendo is distancing themselves from the community really fast. The reactions now are even worse.

I think Nintendo will be hit by a lot of Wii U owners that aren't going to support NX. People that have been supporting Nintendo since the bad last Wii years are really fed up.

Nintendo will have to convince the general audience + the Wii U audience. But the Wii U audience is just a bunch of 13m guys and the general audience doesn't give a damm about Wii U. Tricky business, isn't it?

Odo

wow, this is the list of your suggestions so far. Thank you,

Dragon Age,
the Tales of games,
Witcher,
Vanquish,
BioShock/Infinite (2),
ICO/SotC Collection,
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
Bloodborne
Blizzard's Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Dead Space,
Dishonored
Sly Cooper
Bulletstorm,
Wolfenstein,
Tomb Raider,
Batman
Rage,
Driver,
Shadows of the Damned,
South Park
Bloodbourne,
Ratchet and Clank,
Uncharted

So many games that I have to try :)

I personally wouldnt go for any of the other consoles right now, not for lack of quality, but because I just dont have the time I used to to be able to pour hours into games like I did back with Wii60.

I have played quite a bit of multiplats and exclusives from the other consoles though, and I think you'll be able to enjoy yourself.

I would also rally behind the PS4 (but wait until after the Neo announcement, so you can decide if you want that or for an OG price drop).
I've played a lot of the multiplats on Xbox One, but PS4 is getting all of those as well and the community and userbase is just leagues larger, so it will continue getting all of those, as well as the dreaded pre-order and console exclusive dlc.

As for exclusives, Xbone has nothing I'm interested in and PS4 has Bloodborne, which is awesome. I also played Until Dawn which was cool but I would try not to spend too much money on that. Its all personal taste but I see myself more happy with Sony exclusives rather than Microsoft ones, which are becoming few and fewer.
Look forward to that Horizon games, looks like it could be a good one. And dat Drake.

Oh, on top of that, we already have a couple of PS4 owners here as well, @Shoulder , @LSB and I think I'm forgetting someone, maybe @Karkashan ? So yeah, def PS4.

In the meantime I'll hold vigil for you here on the Nintendo side, maybe we'll meet again in a decade.

Odo

I bought a PS3 tale end of 2014 and fucking love it. Man was I missing out. Dead Space, Demon's Souls, Dishonored, Bioshocks, and currently Sly Cooper are some of my favorites for the system. Not including Bulletstorm, Wolfenstein, Tomb Raider, Batman. And a few others that I enjoyed but not like GOAT tier or anything (Rage, Driver, Shadows of the Damned, South Park).

I think I'm gonna buy a PS4 this year.

Wow, I missed all the PS3 stuff because of the Wii U :(

(Perhaps this is a good year for getting a Wii U. Now people can buy it and get a lot of discounted games and they have the My Nintendo for discounts that we that supported Wii U didn't have)

With all those PS suggestions, I'm thinking about getting a cheap PS3 and get a lot of old cheaper games. Then wait for the new PS4 before buying a PS4 in a few years.

Odo

I personally wouldnt go for any of the other consoles right now, not for lack of quality, but because I just dont have the time I used to to be able to pour hours into games like I did back with Wii60.

I have played quite a bit of multiplats and exclusives from the other consoles though, and I think you'll be able to enjoy yourself.

I would also rally behind the PS4 (but wait until after the Neo announcement, so you can decide if you want that or for an OG price drop).
I've played a lot of the multiplats on Xbox One, but PS4 is getting all of those as well and the community and userbase is just leagues larger, so it will continue getting all of those, as well as the dreaded pre-order and console exclusive dlc.

As for exclusives, Xbone has nothing I'm interested in and PS4 has Bloodborne, which is awesome. I also played Until Dawn which was cool but I would try not to spend too much money on that. Its all personal taste but I see myself more happy with Sony exclusives rather than Microsoft ones, which are becoming few and fewer.
Look forward to that Horizon games, looks like it could be a good one. And dat Drake.

Oh, on top of that, we already have a couple of PS4 owners here as well, @Shoulder , @LSB and I think I'm forgetting someone, maybe @Karkashan ? So yeah, def PS4.

In the meantime I'll hold vigil for you here on the Nintendo side, maybe we'll meet again in a decade.
Yeah, I feel that in my case, I should wait a little more before getting a PS4.

I don't have much time too, one of the reasons that I need to focus my gaming energy.

Well, I'm sure now that PS is the way to go. Good to know that we've got some PS owners around here. I've been taking a look at the PSEnthusiast forum but it's a ghost town.

Odo

That's beautiful!

And sad.

I mean, that's how I'm seeing Nintendo right now in my mind. A sinking ship, and I want to get out of there as soon as possible.

For the first time I'm really thinking about how easy my life would be if Nintendo just went 3rd party.

With Nintendo refusing to follow the industry, being unable to deliver HD games in time and tasting all the easy money that mobile will make, well, I wonder how it will affect Nintendo in the next decade.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Fed up really is the word. I can't really say more than that without exploding into an incomprehensible ten paragraph argument about how Nintendo has disappointed and angered me.
Make the thread, man. We'll all contribute there, because we all have our SMH/WTF/FML moments with Nintendo.
With all those PS suggestions, I'm thinking about getting a cheap PS3 and get a lot of old cheaper games. Then wait for the new PS4 before buying a PS4 in a few years.
If you want the latest and greatest, PS4 (after the 4K/Neo announcement, as @FriedShoes said) will be your best bet. But you can find a PS3 on eBay for a song (like $80 to $140), and its library is incomparable. If you missed out on a PS3, that's an entire generation of games to play that you didn't get on Nintendo.

The UI is slow as hell, though. If you thought the Wii U chugged between non-game tasks, the PS3 is even worse.
Same. But I also have the 2DS sitting there, with a gigantic library I haven't really touched. Otherwise, a PS3 would be very tempting. I'm lucky; everyone I house-sit for has one.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
First up: don't be a dumbass. Stay hanging out with us here. Who cares what console you're gaming on, there's always plenty to talk about and half the shit in the CT has nothing to do with Nintendo or even videogames. I posted a video of a monkey in a snowsuit that tends to goats and chickens. Later on today I am going to post an article about some nut job who bought a motel in the 50's and spied on his patrons from the attic, meticulously documenting their sexual activities... for science, or something. You wanna miss this shit? You know you don't. Also you love great metal, and we need more of those.

Next up, Sony consoles. I've gamed on all of them (except for the PS4 as yet, since I have an 'old man and the sea' thing going on with Sony with respect to paid online). There's some excellent suggestions here. If you're on a tight budget, I would really consider giving the PS3 a long, hard look. You should be able to get a refurb slim (the best model) and a stack of the best games for ~$200. Also the online is free. Right off the bat you like Pokemon and RPG's, so check out Ni no Kuni. The trinity of Souls games (Demon's, Dark 1 & Dark 2) is in the running for the best dark fantasy anything - and should scratch a number of your itches. Dragon's Crown is a Vanillaware beat-em-up with local or online coop and RPG elements, and Vanquish is Platinum Games insanity in the form of a 3D shooter paced like a frantic bullet hell game with a ground slide mechanic. You can also revisit the PS2's best two games (that have held up) in HD with Okami and Shadow of the Colossus.

PS4 > XB1 all day long. PS4 has Bloodborne. /debate

As others mentioned, hold off to see what the new PS4 model is about. But it's almost certainly an upgrade related to VR performance issues on the vanilla PS4. If that is the case, be forewarned: if it doesn't take off almost immediately, Sony will drop it like a rock with zero remorse (see Vita 3G, then Vita), so the grass isn't always greener.

Happy gaming, but seriously hang out, relax, say your piece on Nintendo when you have to, and talk things you enjoy when you have to. I'd post a Dio video now, but I'm on my damn phone.

Last edited:

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
All right fellas, please, don't judge me, I'm not going mad. I've been sleeping on this matter for some time and I made up my mind. Of course the Zelda delay was the last fact that I needed to make this decision, but I think you all are aware about my negativity towards Nintendo.

Last year, XCX and Splatoon made me a bit happy, but all the news about NX and all this idea that Nintendo can survive alone -- without third party nor following the industry standards -- is just beyond me. I strongly disagree and I'm against almost everything the company has been doing recently.

---*---

Well, this is my situation: I can't afford more than one console. Besides I don't have enough time. So after thinking about it, I realised that buying a Wii U back in the days was a bad decision.

I know that most of TNE people love Wii U and have 1000000 hours on it.

I'm happy for you, but I don't. I don't have a thousand hours on my Wii U and my Wii U owes me a lot. There are 4 to 5 titles that I enjoy like Splatoon, XCX, Hyrule Warriors. But it's not enough. After all the decisions Nintendo made on the last 4 years, I wish I had bought a PS3 instead. Perhaps a PS4.

I don't have a reason to explain why my Wii U owes me, this is just personal. This is just the realisation that I'm not into Nintendo any more.

For the people that will buy a NX, they're going to get a Zelda on the first day, they have My Nintendo to give them discounts for all the NX/Wii U games that they will buy while I had to buy them full price and live with this black rock called Wii U.

---*---

I'm not going to wait for the NX, the new Zelda, or anything Nintendo is cooking. Because I just don't trust the brand any more. All the excitement that I see here about the NX or the hope that Nintendo will deliver a killer console is strange for me, because I don't feel it at all. Before Wii U, many people told me that Wii U would be something else. Wii U is on the market for years and lacks several genres, several franchises and Nintendo can't even pull off a Zelda game. That's the result of all my Wii U hope.

My excitement about Zelda that I used to have last year is forever gone. I doubt the new Zelda is going to be special. For me, Zelda is going to be just a huge game with huge dungeons and the same weapons that everybody already knows. I'm not going to pay $60 on the new Zelda. I'm not. I believe now that Miyamoto and Co are old timers that once developed games like Super Mario Galaxy. It's a thing of the past.

---*---

My negativity towards Nintendo is going to become toxic if I still keep discussing it. Once I told someone here that if they really don't like Nintendo, they should move on and go to another forum. But that's something that I do believe.

It's not fair to become a hater in a community that still believes in whatever Nintendo is doing in Kyoto. I'm not going to troll the community's hope and tastes. So I need fresh air and a good discussion about other platforms, other franchises, because this is my new quest.

My 3DS is going to become mostly a Pokemon machine. I'll keep buying whatever runs Pokemon or other RPGs that I'm fond of. Franchises that most people here don't give a damn. From now on, I'll only look for special deals or used Nintendo consoles. So I don't have much to add about Nintendo. That's why I want to discuss about other waters and retire my Nintendo enthusiast personality.

---*---

Why so serious, right? Well, I don't want to sound dramatic, but leaving Nintendo is something that I wanted to state and I can't keep up with more than one TV console. I just can't go to a shop and buy a PS4 tomorrow and keep Nintendo as a second console to fix my problem. It's not as simple as that for me. My PC is rubbish and I can't turn it into a gaming machine tomorrow.

Plus, I'm writing all this and making this thread, because maybe that are other people here thinking the same, so we can talk about it. If you're sure about leaving Nintendo or if you're not yet but are thinking, if you have other console and want to share tips and recommendations: this is the thread.

---*---

If someone tells me that I'm just depressed, showing off my disappointment and I'll regret playing the sameness of the other consoles, well.. it means that perhaps I just need to quit gaming. I hope it's not the case. :D

---*---

This thread is about PS and XB appreciation and tips for those who'd like to move from Nintendo or just have one of those consoles or are thinking about getting another console. In my case, I'm a Nintendo owner that hasn't touched a PS for more than a decade and has never owned a XB. So, I need tips to migrate.

For what I've been reading, I think you guys may be thinking like me or may already own another console and are happy on the competition side:

@Koenig
@CitizenOfVerona
@nerdman
@FriedShoes
@Goodtwin

(Sorry if I misunderstand one of you ^ guys , so disconsider if I did. If you're still 100% on the Nintendo ship, sorry for putting your name here :)

---*---
You can't go wrong with xb1 or PS4 imo. They both have a good number of worthwhile exclusives, and the performance is almost identical despite what you may read on frameratenerds.com (or whatever).

PS4 sees more game releases.

Xbox Live kicks absolute ass when it comes to free games. In the last 6 weeks they gave me the full season of The Wolf Among Us, Lords of the Fallen, Sunset Overdrive, and Dead Space. For free. Free PS+ games are typically indie fare.

You can't go wrong with either system right now. Maybe I'll see you soon in gears or uncharted 4 & 4 ;)

wow, this is the list of your suggestions so far. Thank you,

Dragon Age,
the Tales of games,
Witcher,
Vanquish,
BioShock/Infinite (2),
ICO/SotC Collection,
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
Bloodborne
Blizzard's Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Dead Space,
Dishonored
Sly Cooper
Bulletstorm,
Wolfenstein,
Tomb Raider,
Batman
Rage,
Driver,
Shadows of the Damned,
South Park
Bloodbourne,
Ratchet and Clank,
Uncharted

So many games that I have to try :)

And the best part is that the ps3 games are most likely 20 bucks and under. I don't know how Gamestop works, but EB Games in Canada often has "buy 1 get 1 50% off" or "buy 2 get 1 free" deals.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
If you wanna go with another console, I'd say go with either a PS3 or a PS4. Fair warning, however. PS3's wifi is shit tier. Like the OG Wii functioned better kind of shit tier. So if you get an S3, go ethernet any time you have to download something or if you play online.

Also all PS3's are backwards compatible with PS1 games, so if you wanna go hella old school that's a bonus as well.

praisegrima

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
If you wanna go with another console, I'd say go with either a PS3 or a PS4. Fair warning, however. PS3's wifi is shit tier. Like the OG Wii functioned better kind of shit tier. So if you get an S3, go ethernet any time you have to download something or if you play online.

Also all PS3's are backwards compatible with PS1 games, so if you wanna go hella old school that's a bonus as well.

praisegrima
Yeah, the selection of psone classics makes the PS3 worth a purchase even if you have a PS4. You can't find that library anywhere else. It's literally saving a generation of games.

81jono81

Yeah, I got a PS3 as a second console last year and it's treating me well. I play my Wii U a ton more, but there are a LOT of amazing games on there, most of which I haven't played yet. I just started Kingdom Hearts and Dark Souls, and they're very promising. Get The Last of Us first thing; it's become one of my all time favorites. Uncharted and Journey collections are worthwhile as well.

And of course, there's tons of PS1 classics and PS2 collections. And everything's cheap at this point (including the console). So, yeah. PS3, I'd say, so long as you dont mind missing out on new releases for current gen consoles.

Goodtwin

Although I am glad I bought my Wii U, and do have upwards of 1500 hours on mine, I fully understand and appreciate the fact that people have lost patience with Nintendo. I own nearly every Wii U retail title worth owning, with only a few out there that I havent bought yet, but plan to buy. Eshop and Virtual Console have a few gems left to pick from as well, but the list of whats still to come is pretty much abysmal. Zelda, which is like saying Zelda TP will be known as a great Gamecube game. Zelda TP is known as a Wii game, and Zelda U will really be an NX game with an inferior version available for Wii U as some sort of parting gift to Wii U gamers they started to abandon in late 2014. Nintendo shifted focus a long time ago. Its a shame, because certain games like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are really special, but Wii U from a consumer perspective is a monumental flop. Gamecube, even though it was a commercial failure, at the very least maintained quality software releases throughout its life. Third party support was still there, with some games like SSX World Tour actually being terrific and with exclusive Nintendo content. I always felt like there was more games I wanted to buy than I could possibly afford with every Nintendo console prior to Wii U. Wii U, I have every single game that I really wanted, and then some I bought just because I wanted to buy something.

This is why I am looking at a budget gaming PC soon. I didnt have a 360/PS3, so there are a ton of games from that gen on Steam for super cheap, and even a budget PC can play most of those games 1080p 60fps. Newer games, a budget PC can still play them, but with some compromises. If I can enjoy 720p games on Wii U, then I should have no issue playing some newer games at 720p if that's what it takes to get a solid framerate. Im with @juegosmajicos at this point. The Nintendo + PC is pretty much the way to go if your a Nintendo fan. I still love Nintendo's iconic franchises, but am fed up with having such limited choices. PC would open that up exponentially, and thanks to games dropping in price on Steam, allow for a huge catalog of games at a very reasonable price.

@Odo if your on a budget, I think a $500-600 gaming PC is actually best for you. You can play countless AAA titles from yesteryear for $10 a pop. For me the choice is easy, because my PC is having trouble keeping up with me writing this post, so I need a new PC for general use, but I am now convinced that paying an extra $200-300 will be well worth it. I can check out the first two Mass Effect games, Batman AA, and even Halo if I want.

thekiller7

The Seven and Only
I'll never leave Nintendo...
But I won't buy nX till a year or two or three or four after launch. And I'll get it used and hope there's at least 10 must buy games by then.
I've always been a Sony Pony along being a big Nintendo fan... But yesterday's news might make me get an X1 after e3. I'll buy it used of course.... Cause fuck M$

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah, I feel that in my case, I should wait a little more before getting a PS4.

I don't have much time too, one of the reasons that I need to focus my gaming energy.

Well, I'm sure now that PS is the way to go. Good to know that we've got some PS owners around here. I've been taking a look at the PSEnthusiast forum but it's a ghost town.
EGLX is happening this weekend. Why don't you become one of the founding Fathers of that Ghost town?

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
You'll come back. They always come back! :p

I understand your frustration, and I won't judge. My advice honestly would be an XBox One because it has superior exclusives IMO to Sony.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I'd hold off until june so you can play that insane fire emblem megaten cross-over.... then sell it immediately after finishing and go right to a ps4... the wii u wont have anything else worth playing until zelda... and that will also be on NX.... if NX turns into an amazing device later, you can jump right back... but leaving is probably a healthy choice... launch windows always suck, and it sucks to get through a 2 year drought and then right into a launch window... jumping ship now means lots of options with the possibility of juimping back on NX after it has proven itself not to simply be another wii u

BobSilencieux

Yeah, the Wii U's life has been... disappointing. I had never owned a SONY console until just after E3 2013 when I saw that there was a massive line-up of FUCK ALL coming to the Wii U for the foreseeable future. I picked up a cheap PS3 (which will be even cheaper now) and a huge bunch of great CHEAP games. That's the only way to go, imo, especially if you're operating on a budget.

Odo

First up: don't be a dumbass. Stay hanging out with us here. Who cares what console you're gaming on, there's always plenty to talk about and half the shit in the CT has nothing to do with Nintendo or even videogames. I posted a video of a monkey in a snowsuit that tends to goats and chickens. Later on today I am going to post an article about some nut job who bought a motel in the 50's and spied on his patrons from the attic, meticulously documenting their sexual activities... for science, or something. You wanna miss this shit? You know you don't. Also you love great metal, and we need more of those.

Happy gaming, but seriously hang out, relax, say your piece on Nintendo when you have to, and talk things you enjoy when you have to. I'd post a Dio video now, but I'm on my damn phone.
My problem is with Nintendo and the fact that when I jump to PS, I'm not going to be able to keep playing and buying AAA games on my Wii U/3DS. Just maybe a few.

So I'm living on a binary choice now.

And for Wii U in 2016, I've got nothing that I'm really interested. Zelda could be the steak, but now the steak moved to NX and 2017.

Then, all my enthusiasm about Nintendo is gone. I'll be around, but mostly pissed off about Nintendo, so the multi-plat world will suit me better.

EGLX is happening this weekend. Why don't you become one of the founding Fathers of that Ghost town?
Yes, I'd like that. Where are all the PS players here to make some mess on the PSEnthusiast?

Odo

But you can find a PS3 on eBay for a song (like $80 to $140), and its library is incomparable. If you missed out on a PS3, that's an entire generation of games to play that you didn't get on Nintendo.
If you're on a tight budget, I would really consider giving the PS3 a long, hard look. You should be able to get a refurb slim (the best model) and a stack of the best games for ~$200. Also the online is free. Right off the bat you like Pokemon and RPG's, so check out Ni no Kuni. The trinity of Souls games (Demon's, Dark 1 & Dark 2) is in the running for the best dark fantasy anything - and should scratch a number of your itches. Dragon's Crown is a Vanillaware beat-em-up with local or online coop and RPG elements, and Vanquish is Platinum Games insanity in the form of a 3D shooter paced like a frantic bullet hell game with a ground slide mechanic. You can also revisit the PS2's best two games (that have held up) in HD with Okami and Shadow of the Colossus.
And the best part is that the ps3 games are most likely 20 bucks and under. I don't know how Gamestop works, but EB Games in Canada often has "buy 1 get 1 50% off" or "buy 2 get 1 free" deals.

Indeed, a PS3 and a bunch of old games is really cheap! I'm taking a look and I think I'll get a PS3 asap now.

praisegrima
Yeah, the selection of psone classics makes the PS3 worth a purchase even if you have a PS4. You can't find that library anywhere else. It's literally saving a generation of games.
Yeah, I got a PS3 as a second console last year and it's treating me well. I play my Wii U a ton more, but there are a LOT of amazing games on there, most of which I haven't played yet. I just started Kingdom Hearts and Dark Souls, and they're very promising. Get The Last of Us first thing; it's become one of my all time favorites. Uncharted and Journey collections are worthwhile as well.

And of course, there's tons of PS1 classics and PS2 collections. And everything's cheap at this point (including the console). So, yeah. PS3, I'd say, so long as you dont mind missing out on new releases for current gen consoles.
I didn't know that.

PS1 games + PS2 and PS3 collections make PS3 super sexy.

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
The Last of Us, God of War 3, GTA 5, and Bioshock Infinite are the best PS3 games of last gen imo.

The most unappreciated - Catherine

I'm actually really jealous that you might be getting to enjoy these games for the first time!

Odo

Although I am glad I bought my Wii U, and do have upwards of 1500 hours on mine, I fully understand and appreciate the fact that people have lost patience with Nintendo. I own nearly every Wii U retail title worth owning, with only a few out there that I havent bought yet, but plan to buy. Eshop and Virtual Console have a few gems left to pick from as well, but the list of whats still to come is pretty much abysmal. Zelda, which is like saying Zelda TP will be known as a great Gamecube game. Zelda TP is known as a Wii game, and Zelda U will really be an NX game with an inferior version available for Wii U as some sort of parting gift to Wii U gamers they started to abandon in late 2014. Nintendo shifted focus a long time ago. Its a shame, because certain games like Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon are really special, but Wii U from a consumer perspective is a monumental flop. Gamecube, even though it was a commercial failure, at the very least maintained quality software releases throughout its life. Third party support was still there, with some games like SSX World Tour actually being terrific and with exclusive Nintendo content. I always felt like there was more games I wanted to buy than I could possibly afford with every Nintendo console prior to Wii U. Wii U, I have every single game that I really wanted, and then some I bought just because I wanted to buy something.
When I think about GameCube.... After Wii U, GameCube looks like an extraordinary console.

GameCube had a couple of Zelda games, Metroid games, Pikmin games. Sport games, Racing games, multi-plat games. Killer graphics.

For Wii U, I enjoyed Splatton, XCX, MK8 (but I still think that 7 is better), Hyrule Warriors, and some indie titles.

I believed in Wii U until 2014-2015. Back in the days when Zelda used to be a November 2015 game. MK8 and Smash was quite an evidence that Wii U would become great. LOL

While Nintendo is developing Zelda, many Zelda sized games were released for PS4/X1. It's 2016 and I feel that Nintendo couldn't figure out HD graphics yet. Star Fox is an example of decadence. After so many beautiful games for Wii U, we got this.

Back in the days I loved Nintendo for co-op. Nintendo used to be a co-op pillar. Now they're focusing on online co-op in games like Zelda TriForce and Metroid Federation. Two generic games with poor online features. I'll never pay full price on those games. In StarFox they couldn't deliver traditional co-op because of the gamepad. It's unbelievable.

For me, Nintendo abandoned Wii U and the Wii U owners that supported it. I believe Nintendo will have a hard time convincing Wii U owners to buy NX after all this. They have only 13m to convince.

Wii U lacks several genres of games and today, it's officially dead.

This is why I am looking at a budget gaming PC soon. I didnt have a 360/PS3, so there are a ton of games from that gen on Steam for super cheap, and even a budget PC can play most of those games 1080p 60fps. Newer games, a budget PC can still play them, but with some compromises. If I can enjoy 720p games on Wii U, then I should have no issue playing some newer games at 720p if that's what it takes to get a solid framerate. Im with @juegosmajicos at this point. The Nintendo + PC is pretty much the way to go if your a Nintendo fan. I still love Nintendo's iconic franchises, but am fed up with having such limited choices. PC would open that up exponentially, and thanks to games dropping in price on Steam, allow for a huge catalog of games at a very reasonable price.

@Odo if your on a budget, I think a $500-600 gaming PC is actually best for you. You can play countless AAA titles from yesteryear for $10 a pop. For me the choice is easy, because my PC is having trouble keeping up with me writing this post, so I need a new PC for general use, but I am now convinced that paying an extra $200-300 will be well worth it. I can check out the first two Mass Effect games, Batman AA, and even Halo if I want.
A gaming PC is a very good choice. I think those who aren't into PS/XB should go to steam.

I never had a good PC for gaming. I played PC on GameCube days, games like Age of Empires and Counter Strike. They're not demanding games.

The problem with PC is that a I've got too much to learn about it. Controllers, how to play on TV, Windows 10, etc. And I'd need to buy a new PC. I only own a laptop.

Odo

I'll never leave Nintendo...
But I won't buy nX till a year or two or three or four after launch. And I'll get it used and hope there's at least 10 must buy games by then.
I've always been a Sony Pony along being a big Nintendo fan... But yesterday's news might make me get an X1 after e3. I'll buy it used of course.... Cause fuck M$
You'll come back. They always come back! :p
I think I'll never leave Nintendo entirely too. I still like Pokemon, 3DS itself, Atlus RPGs, FE, etc.

I'm not into Nintendo any more as a supporter and enthusiast. These days are gone.

As soon as NX gets cheap, select titles, discounts, and a bunch of good titles that I can buy in a single day: I pick it up, play everything in 6 months, and sell it. That's all my NX enthusiasm.

Until there, I'll be playing all the franchises, games, RPGs, etc that Nintendo will never have. As soon as NX comes out, Neo PS4 will make NX old. In two years perhaps, Microsoft will be releasing another console with tons of new features like cloud computing, holo lens and such.

While Nintendo will be releasing the new version of the Miyamoto pet project: Pikmin 5.

Odo

The Last of Us, God of War 3, GTA 5, and Bioshock Infinite are the best PS3 games of last gen imo.

The most unappreciated - Catherine

I'm actually really jealous that you might be getting to enjoy these games for the first time!
Yeah! the list keeps growing:

Dragon Age,
the Tales of games,
Witcher,
Vanquish,
BioShock/Infinite (2),
ICO/SotC Collection,
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
Bloodborne
Blizzard's Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Dead Space,
Dishonored
Sly Cooper
Bulletstorm,
Wolfenstein,
Tomb Raider,
Batman
Rage,
Driver,
Shadows of the Damned,
South Park
Bloodbourne,
Ratchet and Clank,
Uncharted
Valkyria Chronicles
PS1 classics
PS2 collections
Gears
Kingdom Hearts
GTA
God of War
Catherine
Persona

Majorbuddah

My real name is Dolemite
Yeah! the list keeps growing:

Dragon Age,
the Tales of games,
Witcher,
Vanquish,
BioShock/Infinite (2),
ICO/SotC Collection,
Dark Souls/Demon Souls
Bloodborne
Blizzard's Overwatch
Titanfall 2
Dead Space,
Dishonored
Sly Cooper
Bulletstorm,
Wolfenstein,
Tomb Raider,
Batman
Rage,
Driver,
Shadows of the Damned,
South Park
Bloodbourne,
Ratchet and Clank,
Uncharted
Valkyria Chronicles
PS1 classics
PS2 collections
Gears
Kingdom Hearts
GTA
God of War
Catherine
Persona
Not all of those hit PS3, but yeah you could easily be happy in the bargain bin until PS5 comes out

PS3 swole af

mantisLJD

The Human Metroid
I haven't just lost interest in Nintendo, but video games in general. I never was much of a gamer and now I think I would buy a piece of original comic book art before a new dedicated gaming platform.

Odo

I haven't just lost interest in Nintendo, but video games in general. I never was much of a gamer and now I think I would buy a piece of original comic book art before a new dedicated gaming platform.
I still like video games. What happened is that today I'm much more selective. I used to try out everything.

I am pretty disappointed in Nintendo but because spending 300 every 4-6 years is really nothing to me I will sadly always be a cuck for Nintendo and buy their consoles day 1 anyway.

Hope you enjoy the PS3/PS4 if you shockingly missed out on the PS2 gen I would buy most remasters and download the Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 from PSN. Time to get hyped for Persona 5 this year baby.