Into the Wild - Your Zelda Travel Journal

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
As you exit the cave, you are blinded by the Sun. As you shield your eyes under the palm of your hand, you are just able to make out the horizon: lush forests, snow-capped mountains, and glistening ponds lay perfectly still under a thick fog. It is dawn. Now begins your adventure.

-

How will you play this game, TNE? Do you set yourself a destination from the start? Do you try to explore every part of the map methodically? Do you look for the shrines first? Do you run in a straight line until you reach the end of the map? I'd like you to treat this space as a communal travel journal for your adventures in Hyrule. What did you see on your adventure? Was it surprising? Was it difficult? Was it beautiful? If you can't find the words to describe how you feel, then say that - I'll know exactly what you meant when I go and experience it myself. Tell me about your trip up to Death Mountain. I'll tell you about my search for Lake Hylia.

It goes without saying, that if something is better left unspoiled, please do leave it unspoiled, or at least behind spoiler tags. It sure would be nice to hear about your trek through the desert, but that could be soured if you tell me everything about the boss you fought there, the strategy to beat him, and the plot points that Zelda revealed immediately after.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I sharpen my blades before bed, prepared to sacrifice the postman to the fell dragon should he damage my copy of the game in any way. This I do, in accordance with the traditions of my House, the sons and daughters of the mighty Arkansas.

So shall it be written, so shall it be done.

By blade and birthright, order shall be brought to this sullied world.

praisegrima

I imagine I'm gonna play it like how I played Final Fantasy XV. Do a story mission or two, do some side quests, do shrines for hours. Dick around a bit exploring, etc etc.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm preparing myself mentally go on in deep. My plan is to use the Great Plateau as a freeform tutorial area. I'll do everything I can do within it, and I do mean everything. But I have a plan for when I'm able to jump off. I'll go south, in search of Lake Hylia. I don't know if Lake Hylia exists in this game, or if its a desert like in Skyward Sword, or anything of the sort. All I know is that I want to find it, and south is where I'm starting.

I don't know how much I'll use this thread. I'm impressed about how little I know about this game and I want to keep that up all the way through.

That said, when I left the starting cave, the first thing I did was pick up a tree branch and swing it around. I was messing around with the controls, pressed R and threw it at a rock. I laughed.

Yeah, I'm a simpleton.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm heading to the woods to find out about the Koracks (the leaf people from WW) so where ever the best direction for forest I'm goin that way.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I said before I started that the first place I would go would be here - up. And so it was.

WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C94.jpg

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The Plateau was nice, mellow fun, but when I jumped off the plateau the first thing I stepped on was Lake Hylia. I had to come up with more goals for myself immediately after that, so I decided I'd keep going south and hit the beach. Of course, in this Hyrule that meant climbing a mountain, circumventing the lake, taming a horse, stealing food from some graves, dashing through some very scary enemies, and finally, climbing a mountain so that I could parasail all the way to a Lizalfos outpost just offshore. It felt good to land silently inside their base and kill all 3 of them stealthily.

That was about 6 hours ago. After getting destroyed by multiple other high-level enemies in oen or two hits, I decided to go pray to the Godess for a piece of heart. That trip took me another couple of hours, in which I visited some locales, opened up some sidequests, saw some familiar faces, encountered an very interesting couple that was looking for a secret fountain of eternal love, endured multiple weather events, and got absolutely wrecked by an amazing, powerful enemy. He was not a boss, just a regular high-level mob.

After getting my piece of heart, I decided to climb more mountains. I solved a maze and got a piece of armor. Then I saw a mountain in the distance that was a little different than a regular mountain - it was moving. Well I wanted to test my new armor, so I parasailed away into that moving mountain. It wasn't good enough.

There have been a lot of other interesting sights and small encounters here and there, but I gotta get back into it before I head to sleep, because I have my sights on a lofty goal: Hyrule Castle. I'm making a mad dash for it.

FriedShoes

MLG
I was trying to jump my horse off a bridge and ended up just jumping off it onto the ledge, only to be scolded by an NPC to not do it, lmao.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I just finished the 4th shrine... Saved before going to the temple of time.... 2 annoyances I must address

1. The camera sucks ass
2. The desync issue is real and hitting me hard

Koenig

The Architect
I just finished the 4th shrine... Saved before going to the temple of time.... 2 annoyances I must address

1. The camera sucks ass
2. The desync issue is real and hitting me hard
Have you turned up the camera speed, or is it the orientation that is bothering you?

FriedShoes

MLG
Death count: 6

Mostly went straight for the story stuff in the Plateau, nothing else aside from trying my hand at creating potions to go into the mountains, which all failed so I made a torch and jogged my way up there.

By the time I left the area I had eaten 2 deaths trying to base junp off the temple and getting rocked by a stray arrow. And then another trying to get the Guardian to blow up a wall.
Played it much more carefully out in the fields. I did a lot of taming a horse that I didnt plan on keeping but now I'm too attached to. Drowned trying to jump it off a cliff after it refused to run away from a giant moblin. Raided several outposts, those were fun. Running over and stabbing fools, hopping off and shooting bomb arrows at bigger enemies. Went this way for a while until I hit this open area with Bokoblins on horseback. So much fun, it was sunset as well so it was a nice backdrop. Horse decided to get antst and ran into a swarm of keese which drove it into a Guardian, so I had to jump off and take the death to save its life.
I'm at the first village now, my horse tucked away near a very frightening enemy that killed me, so its gonna take some careful planning riding it out of there.

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
I'm doing a mixture of exploring and story. They game will give me something to do, and I take 2 hours getting there while I explore every nook and cranny, as well as taking to to enjoy the view. Damn, this game is gorgeous.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Have you turned up the camera speed, or is it the orientation that is bothering you?
I turned up the speed before going to bed, but haven't played it with that setting yet...

here is my issue... I was facing the rock guy on the plateau, he 1 hit kills you... and you have to sprint to get to his weak spot and avoid his attacks, but I can't sprint while using the camera stick, so it defaults to the ai camera, which just look zooms into links foot and off at a high angle... it is garbage.... I also can't seem to use z targeting on the rock guy to just keep the camera centered... I must have died like 40 times before I was able to take the guy out.. and I swear like 39 of those times were entirely because I couldn't get the camera off of an artistic sharp angle of link's heel... garbage... I wish I could just zoom the camera out and make it move less... like I could with xenoblade chronicles x... when I ran into issues liek this in xcx I just zoomed everything out and it didn't get in my way.... but zelda's camera is like constantly moving... usually to a low dynamic extreme close-up angle

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I turned up the speed before going to bed, but haven't played it with that setting yet...

here is my issue... I was facing the rock guy on the plateau, he 1 hit kills you... and you have to sprint to get to his weak spot and avoid his attacks, but I can't sprint while using the camera stick, so it defaults to the ai camera, which just look zooms into links foot and off at a high angle... it is garbage.... I also can't seem to use z targeting on the rock guy to just keep the camera centered... I must have died like 40 times before I was able to take the guy out.. and I swear like 39 of those times were entirely because I couldn't get the camera off of an artistic sharp angle of link's heel... garbage... I wish I could just zoom the camera out and make it move less... like I could with xenoblade chronicles x... when I ran into issues liek this in xcx I just zoomed everything out and it didn't get in my way.... but zelda's camera is like constantly moving... usually to a low dynamic extreme close-up angle
EXACT same scenario for me. Let me know how turning up the speed works for you.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
2017030604195600-F1C11A22FAEE3B82F21B330E1B786A39.jpg
"And it's rider's name was Link. And he was given authority over all of Hyrule, to kill with sword and with bombs and with fire and with bees."

Koenig

The Architect
I love the blood moon, particularly the errie build just prior to its event. I also enjoy the minibosses I have come across so far, though they are a bit cheap at times: the giant stone bosses for example have instantly killed me a couple times while I was climbing on top of them; their hitbox activated despite the fact I was not in any real form of danger. Kinda depressing really...

FriedShoes

MLG
Killed a couple dozen more Guardians and finally made it to the place where the parts are worth a damn only to find that you also need loads of rupees. So thats gonna be on hold until I figure out how to make some good money.

Did a few more shrines, including one that was really cool to explore.
I will say this, the gyro-based shrines are awful. I dont know if its how the gyro works in portable mode, havent tried any while docked or on a pro, but its shit stuff. Even freehand it was bad, but I was in a moving car then, so maybe that affected it in some way.

I've stumbled into a couple of places that have this shrine-like platform on it, glowing orange with an indent on top. Dont have a clue how to activate it, tried placing some items on it that I thought would work but nothing.

On my way back to a Goddess statue, decided to try out Wolf Link. Was fine until he got in my way and got hit with friendly fire. So he's gone lol.
Guess I'll hit another story beat before wandering around a bit more. Gonna need to find a good mining area, if there are any.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
I love all the flashbacks I've been finding in this game. Also like how there's an NPC in game who will help you out with finding them.

praisegrima

EvilTw1n

So before starting, I said I was going to the mountains. Well, as nice as the high elevation is on the plateau, it's nothing compared to the legit mountains. It's flat-out scary up there. The mountains are freaking incredibly steep, and even a little storm turns your visibity into a useless few feet. White-out conditions are the norm. Dangerous enemies and camps threaten to make it feel cheap. But man, when you climb those impossibly high peaks...

Koenig

The Architect
So I deviated a little further than I should have, and went into a dungeon with a subtext along the lines of a "Moderate Challenge", where upon a very small guardian comes out of the floor, equiped with a glowing shield and battle axe. I am thinking to myself, I've taken ittle bots like these before, so this should not be too hard.

Take #1.
- One swing from and an insta death later, I thought otherwise.

Take #2.
- Ill just have to do this without getting hit I guess. After watching his attack pattern I got the timing down to strike him 2-3 times between his swings, but he has a lot more health than i ever expected. This is going to be battle of attrition... And then he unleashes a spin attack from the other side of the map and rushes me faster than I can react. Death.

Take #3.
-Obviously this is not a foe I can take lightly at my level of play. I do have a huge defense boosting item in my inventory, but it only lasts 4 minutes. Lets see how this does. Repeating the fight up to that point, I find that with the defense I can survive the majority of his attacks at just a quarter heart remaining (Him doing the rest of my health from max in one hit). This time I able to push the fight much further, I found I could trick him into smash pillars to get a few free hits in with my heavier weapons, as well as him including including a laser dancing session to his battle tactics. Things were going well, but at this point most of my good weapons are laying in shards on the floor. I have him down to about 1/5 of his health, when he starts charging what looks to be a more powerful version of his usual laser; I rushed behind a pillar to shield myself and wait for the attack, and wait, and wait...and wait... and OMG HOW BIG IS THIS ATTACK GOIN T----

The Pillar I was hiding behind was obliterated and it continued to fire more shots, hitting me with the third shot and instantly killing me, defense boost and all.

Tale #4.
-This time I contemplated cutting my losses and giving up for now, but considering how close I was I simply could not let him get away with this. I would do it again, but properly this time! Fast forward through a faster paced version of the previous battles, and I found myself face to face with his Mega laser again; I knew I could not survive its shots, so instead I opted to use his charge time and unload my most powerful weapons on him. I shattered two of my best weapons in the ridiculous amount of time it takes from to charge his laser, and yet he was still alive! At the last second I ran, and I ran, and I ran, all the while blue lightning of instant death rained past my face. Somehow I dodged his volleys, and he began to charge again! It was do or die now, I took the last few weapons I had and unleashed a desperate flurry of attacks during what was sure to be last opening I would get; his health was low, but his charge was also almost full. My last weapon was about to break, and he was about to blast me, when AT LAST I finally managed to land the killing blow.

I had completed the challenge of a "Moderate test of strength". It was the most difficult fight I have had yet, and it had cost me ALL of my weapons, but for my efforts I was rewarded with the best shield and weapon I have found in the game so far, as well as another spirit orb. I left the dungeon with a sense of pride I have not felt in a long time. Eager to take on the world, I flew to the next shrine (Which was in the middle of the ocean) and was greeted with the title...

"A MAJOR test of strength"

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Yeah, there's actually one called a "minor test of strength" that serves a tutorial for perfect dodging and parrying.

There's another "Major Test of Strength" that I found to be slightly easier than the one in the middle of the ocean that you're talking about.

Then again I had a handy electricity sword and a strength 50 two hander I'd been saving for just an occasion, so that might've been why.

Now to brew myself some more food and defense boosts (and find some lightning arrows) and I think I'll give the middle of the ocean one another shot (especially since the one I beat dropped a freakin' 40 and 60 strength weapon, along with a 42 strength shield.

praisegrima

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So I deviated a little further than I should have, and went into a dungeon with a subtext along the lines of a "Moderate Challenge", where upon a very small guardian comes out of the floor, equiped with a glowing shield and battle axe. I am thinking to myself, I've taken ittle bots like these before, so this should not be too hard.

Take #1.
- One swing from and an insta death later, I thought otherwise.

Take #2.
- Ill just have to do this without getting hit I guess. After watching his attack pattern I got the timing down to strike him 2-3 times between his swings, but he has a lot more health than i ever expected. This is going to be battle of attrition... And then he unleashes a spin attack from the other side of the map and rushes me faster than I can react. Death.

Take #3.
-Obviously this is not a foe I can take lightly at my level of play. I do have a huge defense boosting item in my inventory, but it only lasts 4 minutes. Lets see how this does. Repeating the fight up to that point, I find that with the defense I can survive the majority of his attacks at just a quarter heart remaining (Him doing the rest of my health from max in one hit). This time I able to push the fight much further, I found I could trick him into smash pillars to get a few free hits in with my heavier weapons, as well as him including including a laser dancing session to his battle tactics. Things were going well, but at this point most of my good weapons are laying in shards on the floor. I have him down to about 1/5 of his health, when he starts charging what looks to be a more powerful version of his usual laser; I rushed behind a pillar to shield myself and wait for the attack, and wait, and wait...and wait... and OMG HOW BIG IS THIS ATTACK GOIN T----

The Pillar I was hiding behind was obliterated and it continued to fire more shots, hitting me with the third shot and instantly killing me, defense boost and all.

Tale #4.
-This time I contemplated cutting my losses and giving up for now, but considering how close I was I simply could not let him get away with this. I would do it again, but properly this time! Fast forward through a faster paced version of the previous battles, and I found myself face to face with his Mega laser again; I knew I could not survive its shots, so instead I opted to use his charge time and unload my most powerful weapons on him. I shattered two of my best weapons in the ridiculous amount of time it takes from to charge his laser, and yet he was still alive! At the last second I ran, and I ran, and I ran, all the while blue lightning of instant death rained past my face. Somehow I dodged his volleys, and he began to charge again! It was do or die now, I took the last few weapons I had and unleashed a desperate flurry of attacks during what was sure to be last opening I would get; his health was low, but his charge was also almost full. My last weapon was about to break, and he was about to blast me, when AT LAST I finally managed to land the killing blow.

I had completed the challenge of a "Moderate test of strength". It was the most difficult fight I have had yet, and it had cost me ALL of my weapons, but for my efforts I was rewarded with the best shield and weapon I have found in the game so far, as well as another spirit orb. I left the dungeon with a sense of pride I have not felt in a long time. Eager to take on the world, I flew to the next shrine (Which was in the middle of the ocean) and was greeted with the title...

I know this for a fact and this is strange. I just finished that shrine 10 min ago. And it was a major test of strength you nailed it with your post. Atleast I know I have been where someone else was. Cool position of that shrine tho.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Speaking of that Major test of strength, I beat it, then went up and did the moderate (moderate was harder, weirdly enough).

Then I used the glider and sailed to that big island off in the distance, called Eventide.

Normally I'd spoiler this but I figure most don't want to stumble into a situation in game where it won't let you save. However, I will give warning (this sentence) if you wanna stop reading and skip the post.

Eventide Island itself is a trial, one where you can't save, and where you lose all your equipment and have to solve everything via the stuff you scrounge up (or, be super clever and dump a couple good weapons in the shallow water before the sheikah elder has a chance to sense your presence. Which is a smart thing because freakin' Hinox).

praisegrima

sjmartin79

Speaking of that Major test of strength, I beat it, then went up and did the moderate (moderate was harder, weirdly enough).

Then I used the glider and sailed to that big island off in the distance, called Eventide.

Normally I'd spoiler this but I figure most don't want to stumble into a situation in game where it won't let you save. However, I will give warning (this sentence) if you wanna stop reading and skip the post.

Eventide Island itself is a trial, one where you can't save, and where you lose all your equipment and have to solve everything via the stuff you scrounge up (or, be super clever and dump a couple good weapons in the shallow water before the sheikah elder has a chance to sense your presence. Which is a smart thing because freakin' Hinox).

praisegrima
I loved that challenge. Felt really proud of myself after beating it.

EvilTw1n

@Koenig - I hit the other major test of strength last night and ran away after it depleted two of my fairies in about 45 seconds. Freakin' brutal. Waaaaaay too much for me. I really need to find some good weapons and armor. I've been shrine hunting and building stamina almost exclusively (save for buying Rito threads...because mountains). Now from your notes, I know to try the moderate test first, at least, and get that better weapon.

Sidenote: Nintendo's meme game is strong.

I love all the flashbacks I've been finding in this game. Also like how there's an NPC in game who will help you out with finding them.

praisegrima
I'm loving the memories too, this is the only thing I know I'm gonna 100% for sure. Missing a few quests? Eh. Missing a few shrines? No biggie. Memories? Hell yes.

I found 5 on my own and I have a few ideas where the rest are except for 12, that shit looks like any forest path.

I haven't found the NPC who can help me out though. Can you give me a hint where they're too? I don't want to have anything handed to me in this game, but I think a hint would suffice.

sjmartin79

I'm loving the memories too, this is the only thing I know I'm gonna 100% for sure. Missing a few quests? Eh. Missing a few shrines? No biggie. Memories? Hell yes.

I found 5 on my own and I have a few ideas where the rest are except for 12, that shit looks like any forest path.

I haven't found the NPC who can help me out though. Can you give me a hint where they're too? I don't want to have anything handed to me in this game, but I think a hint would suffice.
Look for the guy painting in any of the villages. He'll take a look at your slate and give you a hint as to where to go.

FriedShoes

MLG
I love love the memory stuff. Its like a treasure map stuff in RDR, where you just get a vague picture and using clues from that and maps you can find your way to them. I've found a handful just looking at the topographic lines and the layout of some of the architecture of the map. The quest encouraged me to grab some new Towers as well, which are not easy the farther out you go. Very cool stuff, I have like 2 left and those are gonna be tough since I havent even seen some of the things depicted in the photos.

Last night I infiltrated Hyrule Castle for one of the memories. I'm gonna really enjoy going through that when I'm ready. Basically could have walked into the final boss, I think, but had to grab the memory and after that jet out because I had a couple of Guardian lasers firing up to disintegrate me.

mmm and the voice acting is very good to great, dont know how it is on your guys' end though, haven't switched languages to see how its like.

sjmartin79

I love that we're all playing the game differently, experiencing different things at different times, and will most likely come out of the game with entirely different viewpoints on how it all went down.

It's hard to keep up with what I've already said about the game, but this is how an open world game should be done. When I saw the "ubisoft towers" I got worried, but I love how it only fills out what the region looks like. It's not a checklist type game like many others, it still leaves all the exploring to you. As such, this is one of the most satisfying games I've ever played.

"Find a shrine" Okay game, found it.
"Offer up a ___". The fuck is that? Guess I'll leave it for now.
*Hours later"
Oh shit, so that * maybe a spoiler* is this? How the fuck do I get it?
*Lots of brain scratching and trial and error*
*Gets it and got a shrine as a reward*.

The open world isn't just there because open worlds are popular, it fits this type of game. I have a feeling BotW is gonna do to open world games as Doom did to first person shooters to me i.e. make everything else look like shit :p

The amount of times this game made me smile, or give me that satisfaction after solving anything, is ridiculous, and I feel like I barely scratched the surface yet.

All that said...fuck trying to climb something and it start raining.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It's hard to keep up with what I've already said about the game, but this is how an open world game should be done. When I saw the "ubisoft towers" I got worried, but I love how it only fills out what the region looks like. It's not a checklist type game like many others, it still leaves all the exploring to you. As such, this is one of the most satisfying games I've ever played.

"Find a shrine" Okay game, found it.
"Offer up a ___". The fuck is that? Guess I'll leave it for now.
*Hours later"
Oh shit, so that * maybe a spoiler* is this? How the fuck do I get it?
*Lots of brain scratching and trial and error*
*Gets it and got a shrine as a reward*.

The open world isn't just there because open worlds are popular, it fits this type of game. I have a feeling BotW is gonna do to open world games as Doom did to first person shooters to me i.e. make everything else look like shit :p

The amount of times this game made me smile, or give me that satisfaction after solving anything, is ridiculous, and I feel like I barely scratched the surface yet.

All that said...fuck trying to climb something and it start raining.
The thing I like best about the viewpoints vs AC is. In AC it's "go here for map". In BotW those places are typically heavily guarded makin the reward much greater for reaching the top.

I guess they just feel loads more important, instead of just being a "go hear look here" linear checkmark.