Iwata's approval up 3%, Miyamoto's down 6%, everyone else slightly to fairly down

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847130

See link for more deets.

============================

Historical Iwata Approval Ratings:

Iwata, 2010:
Approve: 952,201
Oppose: 19,072
Approval Rating: 96.74%

Iwata, 2011:
Approve: 932,379
Oppose: 48,339
Approval Rating: 92.89%

Iwata, 2012:
Approve: 913,453
Oppose: 83,740
Approval Rating: 90.60%

Iwata, 2013:
Approve: 772,384
Oppose: 218,960
Approval Rating: 77.26%

Iwata, 2014:
Approve: 777,999
Oppose: 169,240
Approval Rating: 80.64%

-----------

Last year:

宮本 茂 927,149 64,197 2,164 92.74 可決
Shigeru Miyamoto
Approve: 927,149
Oppose: 64,197
Approval Rating: 92.74%

This year:

宮本 茂 837,460 107,789 5,540 86.81 可決
Shigeru Miyamoto
Approve: 837,460
Oppose: 107,789
Approval Rating: 86.81%

=========================

Can't say I'm too surprised with Miyamoto's approval rating slipping. It's only 6%, but it's warranted. This man hasn't been the reason for my entertainment lately, but probably because he's been working so hard training the new guys.

Odo

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=847130

See link for more deets.

============================

Historical Iwata Approval Ratings:

Iwata, 2010:
Approve: 952,201
Oppose: 19,072
Approval Rating: 96.74%

Iwata, 2011:
Approve: 932,379
Oppose: 48,339
Approval Rating: 92.89%

Iwata, 2012:
Approve: 913,453
Oppose: 83,740
Approval Rating: 90.60%

Iwata, 2013:
Approve: 772,384
Oppose: 218,960
Approval Rating: 77.26%

Iwata, 2014:
Approve: 777,999
Oppose: 169,240
Approval Rating: 80.64%

-----------

Last year:

宮本 茂 927,149 64,197 2,164 92.74 可決
Shigeru Miyamoto
Approve: 927,149
Oppose: 64,197
Approval Rating: 92.74%

This year:

宮本 茂 837,460 107,789 5,540 86.81 可決
Shigeru Miyamoto
Approve: 837,460
Oppose: 107,789
Approval Rating: 86.81%

=========================

Can't say I'm too surprised with Miyamoto's approval rating slipping. It's only 6%, but it's warranted. This man hasn't been the reason for my entertainment lately, but probably because he's been working so hard training the new guys.

I wonder who are the new guys. Do you believe Nintendo's next generation leaders will be as good as Miyamoto and company are? I hope they keep on the success and innovations of Nintendo.

For me Miyamoto is doing a good job. He deserves some more time. He gave us Wii and Wii U is still running.

Koenig

The Architect
Out of curiosity, what exactly does Miyamoto do at Nintendo? To be more specific what is his role in grand scheme of the company.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Out of curiosity, what exactly does Miyamoto do at Nintendo? To be more specific what is his role in grand scheme of the company.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shigeru_Miyamoto_gameography

Since around 2000, he's pretty much left the role of being immediate director, and has mostly been a producer (more responsible for overall management of an entire project rather than being hands-on for all the little bits), occasionally seeing through some of his own design ideas.

Looks like he's going back more into design than project management now.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Recently he's been more outspoken, I think, and he's been saying some good stuff. Let me find some quotes I like:

About the prospects of “ten years from now” (which were mentioned in the question), I believe it will work itself out because new forms of entertainment are always born. But, we always need to work with a clear consciousness that we have to act now to make that happen. This consciousness is mounting high among people at Nintendo now, so please wait for our next move. I believe the appeal of video games is not transient and human beings have an instinctual love of games. I would like to keep on producing new products that surprise people all over the world.
Thank you for reading “Iwata Asks.” Actually, Mr. Iwata’s physical condition has nothing to do with the reduced update frequency of these articles. Since over half a year ago, we have been discussing our methods of disseminating information to understand to what extent “Iwata Asks” has been able to deliver our information directly to our consumers. As a result, we came up with the idea that Nintendo should try to attract a more broad audience through a wider range of methods. That is the reason why Mr. Iwata has not been updating “Iwata Asks” as frequently. As Mr. Yamato said, we are aiming for broader communication with consumers in ways that are more diverse from now on.
I understand your point that ups and downs are inherent in the entertainment industry and in this industry, and I also recognize that the company is in a difficult phase now. Is what is happening now a part of the fluctuations which used to take place in the past too? Or, is the fluctuation this time bigger than before? In other entertainment industries, take movies for example, the declining popularity of movies was observed after the 1950s or 1960s, and people with the right mind in the industry tried to stop the decline with quality pictures. Regarding the current situation surrounding Nintendo and its console game business, some are expressing their opinions by saying that it has been caused by smartphones, but I have not been able to find any advice from them that, if executed by Nintendo, would likely make Nintendo a better company. What is Nintendo’s view on these points?
The point raised by the shareholder is a very important one. It is so important that anyone who can create a solution will become an excellent developer. As Mr. Takeda just said, I believe it is important for us to learn from our predecessors in the movie and other media industries. This is something I mentioned earlier today (during my remarks on E3,) but to some, it might have seemed as though there wasn’t a wide variety of software at E3, and as though many people followed the same direction to make their video games. I believe this is a revelation of creative immaturity on our part as creators in the video game industry. The late Mr. Hiroshi Yamauchi, the former president of Nintendo, often used to say that in the entertainment business, only one can become strong and all of the others will become weak. With this remark, he was not referring to the arrogance of the winner. He mentioned this to describe the nature of the entertainment business, which tends to create just one winner because in the entertainment business everyone buys your offering if you create something unprecedented, and consumers do not think it is necessary to purchase products from others in the industry. To survive in the entertainment industry, it is often the case that everyone tries to follow suit with the strong one. My comment may be at risk of being misinterpreted, but in the digital content field, I think that our creativity is still immature. In the world of comic books and movies, there are people who are challenging themselves to be even more creative than before in creating their content. I believe that we (those who are creating digital content called video games) are still in a transitional period and will eventually step up into the phases where we expand and enrich the substance of our creativity. If we can manage Nintendo without losing sight of this challenge, I believe we might be able to create new entertainment that dominates the industry. Also, some may think it is fair to compete with others on the same hardware platform, but it is always challenging to become the one strong existence among so many companies, and to Nintendo, it is more advantageous to create and propose to consumers a brand new framework that includes hardware as part of the structure. We would like to continuously develop something unique by not abandoning this strength of our company.
The quotes above come from here:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/140627qa/index.html

I like how aware he is of the videogames medium being so "immature". He's right that his comment was going to be misinterpreted, as it offended a lot of people. But what he was talking about, as far as I can tell, is how much potential the medium has and how little of it is being fulfilled. To be fair, that is changing now, as we are entering the age of AR games, VR games, gamification, and still carry on with console, PC, and portable games. But there are a million things that can be done with games, many many more than with any other "medium" (even the word "medium" doesn't sound correct), and we are barely discovering them.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Recently he's been more outspoken, I think, and he's been saying some good stuff. Let me find some quotes I like:

The quotes above come from here:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/stock/meeting/140627qa/index.html

I like how aware he is of the videogames medium being so "immature". He's right that his comment was going to be misinterpreted, as it offended a lot of people. But what he was talking about, as far as I can tell, is how much potential the medium has and how little of it is being fulfilled. To be fair, that is changing now, as we are entering the age of AR games, VR games, gamification, and still carry on with console, PC, and portable games. But there are a million things that can be done with games, many many more than with any other "medium" (even the word "medium" doesn't sound correct), and we are barely discovering them.
Another way to thimk about it is as opposed to movies, books, TV, and music, Video Games are still a very young form of entertainment, and so I get what he's saying that video games are still immature from a creativity standpoint. You could almost argue that video games have become too big too quicky, which I think is part of the problem. There are so many developers out there right now trying to make a living creating games, and at some point, we might have another crash like the one in 1983. When I look at the games on sale during the Steam Summer sale, I simply cannot grasp as to how many games there are, and then you hear of the people who have hundreds of games to play. Assume every game takes 5 hours to complete, one person that has 500 games to play, that'll take you over 104 days to complete them all, and that's assuming you do away with sleeping, eating, working, socializing, etc. Yes, I might be a little bit over-reacting, but evening if you do all those things and play through one game every week, that'll still take you over 9 years to finish them all, and that's assuming of course you don't buy anymore games for the forseeable future.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is there's currently an oversaturation of video games out there, and a lot of them come from smaller developers just starting out (there's also the abundnce of sales for games that are so cheap, but that's another story) Now what I can see occuring in the near future-let's be realistic here-is other developers perhaps merging with one another, or simply going under because they cannot make the bucks necessary to keep them afloat. It happened with Two Tribes Games of the Toki Tori series because the sequel did not meet their standards of sales. All it takes for many of these devs is to have that one game that flops, and they're gone. But Indies are not the only ones susceptible to this though. Even AAA developers can go bust if even one big game flops. Now I'm not suggesting that a game such as Destiny is going to flop. but when you invest over a half-BILLION dollars into one game, something's gotta give eventually.

Video games are reaching a point of too high of sustainable budgets that it'll eventually crash both the developers and possibly the market itself. Even the hardware developers are not immune either, as Microsoft for years never even made money on the Xbox division. Only within the last few years did it start to make money, but that still does not account for all the losses that led up to that particular point. The same goes for Playstation, especially during the PS3 era, but the PS2 and I also think the original Playstation did not make much money either. The PS3 though was the biggest loss for Sony, and I think it's part of the reason Sony has had to downsize recently and cut some of their other divisions.

If you ask me, and I might sound like a Nintendo fanboy here, this is Sony and Microsoft's last opportunity to turn their gaming divisions around into profitability. That being said, Nintendo are not immune of course. Over the last couple of years, they've had losses, and they're also doing a lot of re-structuring and hiring of new talent, as well as building a new headquarters. There was also the fact they bought all the shares owned by Yamauchi's family estate, so that was also pretty sizable. Nintendo are not on the brink of doom, but tackling the problem before it gets worse is key. The 3DS is currently making money, and the Wii U is probably not far behind from the same thing, so this year is definitely key, even more so compared to last year. 2015 will be key for PS4 and X1.

Back to what we were originally talking about though, there's definitely a lot of untapped potential in video games that goes further beyond what we already see in it. Sure, there's VR, AR, and other R's to add, but I also see a lot of potential in just the gameplay aspect as well. While I understand we all love that nostalgic feeling of playing a retro game, or retro-styled games, many of them certainly do not revolutionize the gaming industry, but they never set out to do that in the first place.

I will say that I think Nintendo has a grasp of what they're talking about in terms of striving for more creativity and becoming more mature in that regard. Even during the early days of movies, a lot of movie buffs will talk about all the great movies of the time, but he/she forgets to mention all the horribly bad movies of the day, and I would wager that for every 10 movies from 1900 to 1950 that came out, only 1 was actually pretty good, or worth remembering.

I think in some respects, this is where video games are headed unless something is done. Now I'm not suggesting that there's a lot of bad games out there, because let's face it, everyone has a difference of opinion, but if there's all this abundance of video games out there to the point where they may not get as noticed as other games, it's almost as bad as if it were a good game to begin with. I always thought F-Zero GX was the pinnacle of arcade racing, but with such a low install base for it, or the franchise for that matter, it'll probably never see the light of day to be fully realized into another game with its full potential explored.

But perhaps over time, like a barrel of scotch, it'll get better with age, and more and more gamers will begin to appreciate what we had back then, and realize that so much more can be done for the future to help expand the video game industry, and will leverage that.