Jam's Horrible Horror Adventure: Penumbra!

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
Hey folks,
So I made the grave ( :> ) error a few days ago of playing Penumbra.

I make this seems like a bad thing, because it is a bad thing! I got 30 minutes in and I already shat my pants. What a fool I was to think I could take on the 3 Penumbra games, when I haven't even finished Amnesia yet.

Some background for the uninformed:

The 3 aforementioned Penumbra games were made by the wonderful creators of Amnesia, prior to the development of Amnesia. Here is a trailer which doesn't do anywhere near the justice for how scary it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4VsUCkbCQE

So hey this might be fun, who fancies playing through them and sharing our freaky experiences ITT?! You can grab the games real cheap on steam ;)

running_in_jam

@Jacesonnall my old chum, you're in for a treat! Or rather if this were Halloween...you'd be in for a trick!!

For those of you who are going to join in, I'm starting with the first game in the series - Overture.

Also there is one rule for playing these games, so listen closely (read thoroughly):

You must play with the lights off & with headphones on.

Jam's Horror Hike is not for pansies.

running_in_jam

So I progressed another 40 minutes or so. I got massively freaked out by this dog-type thing that followed me into the next room...I tried to block the entrance, but it broke through D= now my saved game is at me cowering behind some boxes whilst this thing grunts about 2 feet away from me.

Not sure what my plan of action will be. A journal mentions explosives. Do I try and blow up the dog?!

Long story short, I'm having a blast ;)

Menashe

I think I'm worse than you. I got past one doorway in Penumbra and then chickened out. In Amnesia I let my wife play. :|

running_in_jam

Haha! I don't blame you Menashe. I was reading an article on A Machine For Pigs - I literally have no hope for making it through that game, it sounds 10x as haunting as The Dark Descent was.

My progress today: I found a tool, and thought I could take out the dog with it (he was hanging around an area I needed to get to). To my surprise it worked! The dog yelped and ran away....my heart was racing but I was free to explore that area...until the dog came running back seconds later!!!

Suffice to say I was mauled to death and will not be trying that again.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I see that you are now playing Punumbra.
To be honest I do find Amnesia to be much more horrifying. The second penumbra is also not as scary as the first I think. The third Penumbra is more like a puzzle game actually, sort of like Portal but without the portal gun.
A Machine for Pigs is going to be amazing.

running_in_jam

Punumbra indeed!!

So far, I have to agree about the scare factor. I never would've dared to try and attack anything in Amnesia, but I felt brave enough to take on that mutt.

When I find the time I'll log my next entry in this scare diary. I thought about doing this thread as a "Lets' Play", but I don't think I'd be all that entertaining on video!!

I am very much anticipating A Machine For Pigs. It can't come soon enough!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Jam, have you played Slender? If you haven't, don't spoil it for yourself by watching videos of it. Just download it and play it, it's very very short. Like 5-10 minutes short, if you're good at it.
It's really more of a haunted house sort of ride, meant to scare you in a short amount of time, but it's a hell of a good one.

running_in_jam

You're too late! I already spoiled myself. :p I did try to download/play it, but although there was a Mac version, for some reason I couldn't get it to run. It looked like a terrific little game though, considering how low budget it was they created a really haunting atmosphere. Did you manage to collect all 8 pages?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
No I didn't, I only played it 3 times, and I think my best was 5 pages. I don't want to play it ever again by myself, unless it's a challenge or something. It's really terrifying, as silly as it is.

running_in_jam

Haha, I'd have loved to watch you play it! I remember playing Amnesia once with my bro; even in company we got so freaked out we both literally jumped out our seats at one particular scene.

Man, I really need to find time to push forward with Penumbra.

Oh and on the Slender topic, I watched a preview of the new version of Slender. What do you reckon? It looks a lot more disorientating. I'm quite curious about what the gameplay will be like or the rest of the game.