Jay Leno vs David Letterman vs Conan O'Brian vs Jimmy Kimmel

Menashe

I find Leno and Letterman to be amusing/entertaining but I find the humor of Conan and Jimmy Kimmel to be very funny.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
leno just sucks.. like really really badly... letterman USED to be great but he fell off shortly after leaving nbc and became boring

I am team coco all the way... I watch every episode... he also isn't as good as when he was on late night... but still excellent and his show is still basically a live action cartoon

kimmel is a mixed bag... I think in general he is boring.. and in most of his interviews he sucks as he is also not that great in his monologue.. but some of his skits are truly inspired, and when he has the right guest he is really funny... I also like the way abc used him to leverage their own shows in fun and interesting ways... like the post lost season finale show was just awesome... and the grey's anatomy episode was clever though not that great... in general he is really good at themeing his show

fallon sucks for the most part but he occasional gets some interesting skits... and he highlights video games which is cool (though he acts retarded when playing them and doesn't seem to know much about them)

carson daily is a big pile of crap... sucks worse then leno... and that is saying something

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Conan, but he used to be soooooooooo much better. As was Letterman.

I pretty much stopped watching late night shows once Conan got the boot from NBC. I only check in periodically now. Just not the same for me. When I was a kid, I'd stay up late to watch Letterman, which is where I probably got my taste for standup. Now I just watch Louis CK.

The only one I really watch is Kimmel, I feel like Leno and Letterman are for a different generation of comedy. I respect them, but don't prefer them. I use to watch Conan, but then he changed networks and I can never remember when he's on and kind of fell out of watching it (even when I am watching the channel lead into his show). I don't hate Conan, just fell out of it. Ferguson and Daily... they come on just too late for me. I don't know how anyone can watch them and have to wake up for work or school or anything in the morning. I also feel kind of bad for them too (especially Daily), from the few times and pieces I've seen of Daily's show in particular made me just feel... sad I guess (Like it felt like a Janitor could accidentally turn the lights off on him or something at any moment).
I don't get Jimmy Fallon, sometimes his absurdist cheesy humor is funny, but I can't sit through his whole program. I don't generally find his humor funny (especially not in an hour long dose). I also feel like a lot of his other jokes and one liners are dated (and take up most of his show anyway). I don't feel like Stuart and Colbert are late night hosts, but I guess that's mostly Comedy Central's fault for raping the repeats, rebroadcasting their premiers every 6 hours. The others... Russell Brand, the Bell guy, Chelsea Lately, etc, I don't watch.
So with all that in mind, I'm going to say... Space Ghost

theMightyME

The only one I really watch is Kimmel, I feel like Leno and Letterman are for a different generation of comedy. I respect them, but don't prefer them. I use to watch Conan, but then he changed networks and I can never remember when he's on and kind of fell out of watching it (even when I am watching the channel lead into his show). I don't hate Conan, just fell out of it. Ferguson and Daily... they come on just too late for me. I don't know how anyone can watch them and have to wake up for work or school or anything in the morning. I also feel kind of bad for them too (especially Daily), from the few times and pieces I've seen of Daily's show in particular made me just feel... sad I guess (Like it felt like a Janitor could accidentally turn the lights off on him or something at any moment).
I don't get Jimmy Fallon, sometimes his absurdist cheesy humor is funny, but I can't sit through his whole program. I don't generally find his humor funny (especially not in an hour long dose). I also feel like a lot of his other jokes and one liners are dated (and take up most of his show anyway). I don't feel like Stuart and Colbert are late night hosts, but I guess that's mostly Comedy Central's fault for raping the repeats, rebroadcasting their premiers every 6 hours. The others... Russell Brand, the Bell guy, Chelsea Lately, etc, I don't watch.
So with all that in mind, I'm going to say... Space Ghost
dude... you need a dvr hahaha

I watched russel brand for a while but then he had like 2 shows in a row with that dumbass who thinks the world is being controlled by inter-dimensional lizards and a few other absolute nut jobs and he was taking them WAY too seriously, agreeing with them.. his loose spirtualism just started to annoy me at that point and it became unwatchable

Team Coco for me...

That is Conan and Colbert... yeah Colbert may not be a traditional late night host but he's funnier than Stewart.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
I don't really have any commitment to late night shows but if I'm flipping channels Craig Ferguson and Conan can keep my attention. I keep hearing that Letterman was great, I'm just not clear what decade that was exactly. I had a friend who was very into him in the early-mid 90's and even then I found the man to be a bit of a bore (although the top 10's were occasionally inspired back then, he may just not be up my alley). I will grant him that he does (or at least has) attempt to speak to the greater societal moment in a subtle way, even if he isn't really saying anything - although Stewart and Colbert have really taken that bull by the horns. By contrast the others are mostly just goofing around.

DarkDepths

Your friendly neighbourhood robot overlord
Leno: I like the sections when there are animals. Other than that, his show sucks.Conan: I used to watch him a fair bit, but I got pretty bored of his shtick.Kimmel: I find bits and pieces of his show amusing, like "this week in unnecessary censhorship" but I can't sit through all the bits in between.Ferguson: Again, I used to like him but his shtick got old. That being said, if I were to go and watch a "late night" show, it would be his.Letterman: Never got into it really. I've seen a few, but it's just... boring, in my opinion.Fallon: I feel he's a lot like Kimmel. I like segments, but not the whole show.
Now, as for the Comedy Central duo, Stewart
is infinitely better than Colbert
, in my opinion. Colbert is more blatant, in your face, "HA! Look at me, I'm funny!" I get that it's part of the character, I just don't like it very much.

Menashe

Leno: I like the sections when there are animals. Other than that, his show sucks.Conan: I used to watch him a fair bit, but I got pretty bored of his shtick.Kimmel: I find bits and pieces of his show amusing, like "this week in unnecessary censhorship" but I can't sit through all the bits in between.Ferguson: Again, I used to like him but his shtick got old. That being said, if I were to go and watch a "late night" show, it would be his.Letterman: Never got into it really. I've seen a few, but it's just... boring, in my opinion.Fallon: I feel he's a lot like Kimmel. I like segments, but not the whole show.
, in my opinion. Colbert is more blatant, in your face, "HA! Look at me, I'm funny!" I get that it's part of the character, I just don't like it very much.

Totally agree with your post up until the Stewart vs Colbert bit. I find Colbert to be funnier than Stewart.

DarkDepths

Totally agree with your post up until the Stewart vs Colbert bit. I find Colbert to be funnier than Stewart.

Well, that's why you're wrong. :p

Menashe

Well, that's why you're wrong. :p

Except that I'm right. My opinions have the status of facts. In my opinion.

I think is the other way around with the Colbert-Stewart bit. Stewart is more "look at me, I'm funny" than Colbert.

Now, one of the things that I like about Colbert (apart from being funnier than Stewart) is that at least he wants to change the country.

Like when he testified about the migrant workers that basically have no rights. I respect him more for doing that.

DarkDepths

I suppose everyone is allowed their own opinions... I guess. I have a very hard time sitting through a whole episode of the Colbert report. I used to watch the Daily Show, then I'd start to watch the Colbert Report, get bored, and find something else. I want to clarify something though. A lot of times when people talk about the Daily Show or the Colbert Report to someone who says that they aren't very funny, those people will try and make the case that it's "intelligent" humour and that it's not for everyone. That's not at all what I'm saying with Colbert. For the record, I don't think either of their humour is overly intelligent (that's to say nothing about the men themselves, of course). But Colbert just isn't for me.
I will agree with you that Stewart does a lot of his own "look at how funny I am" type stuff, but Colbert's show is basically predicated on that idea! And again, of course, it's part of the character, I just don't find the character amusing.
Now all that being said, I think both men do an unfortunately valuable service to the American populace. Of course, they are themselves biased, but it is remarkable how much less bias they portray than many of the actual news organisations. As well, they provide an entertaining medium to actually learn something about current events. I wish we had something similar in Canada, that provided as much information as these two do.

Menashe

I actually find their humor to be very similar. And because of this I generally laugh at both. But if I had to choose one over the other, I find Colbert's general persona to be funnier. Probably because he acts a little more crazy/silly, which I like (and he shares that in common with Conan.)

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Does this picture of Jon Stewart taking out his 3-legged dog for a walk settle any debates?
http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/5/6/13/enhanced-buzz-9361-1367860290-4.jpg

theMightyME

^
Which settles the debate, I think. Conan's show helped give us Louis C.K.

Conan wins.
CK actually said he probably would have killed himself if it wasn't for conan.. that he was a complete failure and couldn't even get by and was contemplating suicide when he got the call about the writing job.... who knows how much of that is exaggeration.... but it is interesting... even if he hasn't killed hismelf he might have given up on comedy... or who knows he could have had an even bigger break elsewhere... but as it stands now, louis ck owes allot to conan... and in turn, so do we