Leveled Up Design - Video Series

Mr-Chris

-Smashing!-
Nice video! Good ol' Instructive Design at it's finest. You did a good job at highlighting some of these good level design bits, nice work. Maybe do a Metroid game next?

Venks

Nice video! Good ol' Instructive Design at it's finest. You did a good job at highlighting some of these good level design bits, nice work. Maybe do a Metroid game next?
Thanks! I had a lot of fun playing the game and just noticed a bunch of moments where I felt the level was teaching me one thing or another. Hence my idea to make a video showing some of those spots off.

Metroid would be pretty fun to do, but honestly I get lost pretty easily in the game. The level design does a great job of creating the lonely atmosphere and sense of exploration, but I feel the lack of linearity makes it much more difficult to teach specific things to the player. Though this is all NES Metroid, Metroid Fusion in my opinion is a nice balance. By segmenting the game into progressive sections and locking off access to certain areas during certain moments it allows the designers to craft a more direct experience along the player's path.

Again, just my opinion.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Great idea! A couple of us from this site have written articles about the topic:

Instructive Design: The Best Form Of Tutorial
Old-school Manuals Versus In-game Tutorials: How About Neither?

Have you thought about doing one for Battletoads on NES? I was watching a playthrough of it recently, and was noticing two things: that it's a master class of varied game design; and that it does a great job of introducing new mechanics in an intuitive and safe way to players, though it certainly ramps up the difficulty quickly.