Magique Productions, Ltd.

Tommy Scott

[Verified Wii U Developer]
Hi, everyone. My name is Tommy Scott and I'm the lead programmer/game designer at Magique Productions, Ltd. We are licensed Nintendo Wii U developers and are currently in production of 2 game titles as follows:

Voyage of the Sea Dragon: A pirate-themed first person 3D story/adventure game.

Super Fam: A 2D multiplayer co-op super hero game.

I use Unity for development and have just been getting my feet wet with the development kit this past week. Production is in full swing for Voyage of the Sea Dragon. I will update this thread when we have some content to show off, which should be by the middle of October.

Tommy Scott

I just secured almost all the content that I need for a good third of Voyage of the Sea Dragon. I ran some early tests on the Wii U hardware with some of the new content and it looks great. Now I can get down to taking my design and building the first area of the game. Progress should be rapid this weekend as I completely focus on crafting the first game area from my design.

My massive physics simulation isn't behaving like I'd like, so I'm shelving that for now and moving on. Unity 5.0 is going to have major improvements to physics so I'll hold off on those pieces until later. I spent way too much time this past weekend trying to make it work. I'm moving on to the first level gameplay mechanics and refining the visual look.

I had a decent weekend of work on Voyage of the Sea Dragon. I implemented the pickup/drop/throw item system and a prototype of a flaming torch that can be carried around as a light source. I'm a bit further from screenshots than I thought, but I'm happy with the progress. I could show something right now, but I'd rather have something more fleshed out before I put anything on display.

Not a very productive week since my last post. I was side-tracked by real-life and other things for the most part. However, I did manage to get one NPC working with the game engine's navigation system so that it can walk around the game world, including walking up and down stairs, and obstacle avoidance. The work is not fully integrated yet, but all tests are working as expected.

I somehow managed to cut my left eye somehow around Tuesday of last week. It was a large cut and it got infected. I ended up in urgent care around 1:30am Saturday morning and have been getting it treated for the past several days. Needless to say, it's put a major damper on my game development. I've gotten very little work done the past week as it's very difficult to work on the computer or read without straining the eye. It's healing up, but not quite there yet. Hopefully, it'll get back to normal soon and I can get back on track.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
I somehow managed to cut my left eye somehow around Tuesday of last week. It was a large cut and it got infected. I ended up in urgent care around 1:30am Saturday morning and have been getting it treated for the past several days. Needless to say, it's put a major damper on my game development. I've gotten very little work done the past week as it's very difficult to work on the computer or read without straining the eye. It's healing up, but not quite there yet. Hopefully, it'll get back to normal soon and I can get back on track.
Damn man, I hope you get better soon

My eye is a lot better now after a week of treatment. I'm going in to the eye doctor again this morning for another exam, but I can tell that it's mostly healed now. So, I've been really working on the game a lot again.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
My eye is a lot better now after a week of treatment. I'm going in to the eye doctor again this morning for another exam, but I can tell that it's mostly healed now. So, I've been really working on the game a lot again.
Oh alright, well I'm glad to hear that. I hope it really is healed, man

Well, it turns out that my eye cut is no longer an open wound, but some fluid is trapped in my eye. It's nothing major, but it'll be 3 months of taking a special eye drop to draw the fluid out of the eye. I'm pretty much back to normal, but still a lot of treatment ahead of me.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Well, it turns out that my eye cut is no longer an open wound, but some fluid is trapped in my eye. It's nothing major, but it'll be 3 months of taking a special eye drop to draw the fluid out of the eye. I'm pretty much back to normal, but still a lot of treatment ahead of me.
Well, damn, that sounds annoying but nice to hear it's nothing critical

Actually, it gets even crazier. It turns out that it wasn't a cut, but an exotoxin that assaulted my eye causing inflammation and infection. And, as soon as my left eye started healing, the same thing happened to my right eye. Now, I'm being treated for both eyes. Just crazy.

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Actually, it gets even crazier. It turns out that it wasn't a cut, but an exotoxin that assaulted my eye causing inflammation and infection. And, as soon as my left eye started healing, the same thing happened to my right eye. Now, I'm being treated for both eyes. Just crazy.
Well, damn, man. I'm so sorry

Menashe

That sounds really frightening with your eye. I hope they heal it properly and efficiently.

Also, I can't see the image because it seems to be an attachment image for another forum that requires login to see attachments. Maybe upload it to imgur.com and then it should work here

The big news of the day is that I'm developing a 3rd title for the Wii U that is priority #1 and set for release around May/June 2015, just in time for the big E3 show in Los Angeles. The new title is a space themed shoot 'em up with a few innovations. The title is in the prototyping phase right now and coming along nicely. As soon as I have an approved music track, I'll post a video of the prototype in action.

I might have one or two more secret titles in the works with short development timelines as well. ;)

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
The big news of the day is that I'm developing a 3rd title for the Wii U that is priority #1 and set for release around May/June 2015, just in time for the big E3 show in Los Angeles. The new title is a space themed shoot 'em up with a few innovations. The title is in the prototyping phase right now and coming along nicely. As soon as I have an approved music track, I'll post a video of the prototype in action.

I might have one or two more secret titles in the works with short development timelines as well. ;)
I love me a good ole shoot em' up, so I'll be keeping my eye (no pun intended concerning your eye infection :eek: ) on this one on top of your Voyage of the Sea Dragon one.

Our 3rd title in development is called Frontier Guard.

Become an ace fighter pilot in futuristic earth's space defense force, defending the frontiers against the evil forces of Evo.

I'm past the basic prototyping stage and am now developing the first full level. Progress has been good so far and things are shaping up. I've put in some temporary free to use music tracks so it won't be long before I can show off some early screenshots and a video.

Release is tentative for June 2015.

Last edited:
I've updated the music in my current build of Frontier Guard to some sci-fi action tracks I've had for a while and forgot about. While probably not the final tracks, they're pretty decent and will be good for showing off early game play footage. I'm not happy yet with the current visuals and need to add a few more game play features before revealing any videos. Hopefully, I can have something to show before Christmas.

Odo

I'm actually thinking about getting rid of the sidebars and opening up the full 1920x1080 screen space for more action. I know it's atypical for a vertical shmup, but why not? Any thoughts?
Sure, why not?

In areas where you want to let less action you could put some environment things on the side areas like big comets, planets, big motherships, walls, etc

I'll probably end up having a decorative sci-fi border/frame around the entire screen, but it won't take up much space. Next screen shots will likely have a completely open look until I can get my artist to design a proper frame.

I've done a preliminary change on the gameplay area and removed the sidebars and reorganized the player information text. The extra real estate is nice and I definitely like it. I'll post an updated screenshot soon.

Happy New Year! I've been hard at work on Frontier Guard and the game is really shaping up. I have nearly 2 levels complete except for final game play mechanics and polishing. I have just a few more things I want to finish up and then I'll be making a video with some examples of the game in action. That should be sometime this week.

I've uploaded an early look at Frontier Guard to IndieDB.com. Unfortunately, my video capture card is not that good and can only capture at a somewhat low-quality 720p 30fps format. I also didn't have the ability to capture the sound and so I just added a generic sound track for the video. Hopefully, I can find myself an inexpensive 1080p capture solution for future videos.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/frontier-guard/videos/frontier-guard-sample

Last edited:
I've uploaded another video. This one I captured on my dev station at only 25fps, but it does have actual game sounds. Music is placeholder music as my composer is just starting to work on actual music for the first stage. Graphics, sounds, and gameplay all subject to change as development continues.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/frontier-guard/videos/frontier-guard-dev-video

Last edited:
I'm experimenting with adding more 3D elements to this game. There are already some 3D elements such as the asteroids seen in the videos, but the player ships and enemy ships are currently 2D sprites. I'm going to be upgrading the development version to include 3D models for both player and enemy ships and see how that looks and behaves. This will give me much more flexibility and a lot more freedom for dynamic elements. I should have some examples of the game running in this new mode sometime this weekend.

Experimentation with enhancing the game with 3D player and enemy ships is going well. I converted most of the first stage except for the boss battle to use 3D ships and it looks and feels good. There was no performance drop and the game still runs at 60 FPS. I'm not sure how far I can push this because other levels are going to have much more going on, but I'm going to continue down this path and see how it goes.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Experimentation with enhancing the game with 3D player and enemy ships is going well. I converted most of the first stage except for the boss battle to use 3D ships and it looks and feels good. There was no performance drop and the game still runs at 60 FPS. I'm not sure how far I can push this because other levels are going to have much more going on, but I'm going to continue down this path and see how it goes.
When Shin'en were working on Nano Assault Neo, they experienced the same thing. No matter what they threw into it, the game never did drop a frame, and that was with mostly unoptimized code. I'm interested in seeing what sort of mayhem you can throw into this one. :mthumb:

I'm looking at giving the game a 3D feel similar to Ikaruga. I've done some experiments with moving through a 3D environment, but having the game play taking place in a 2D plane similar to Ikaruga. So there will be 3D boss enemies and 3D player ships. I may keep most other enemy ships as 2D, but that remains to be seen. When I bombarded the system with tons of 3D enemies, it definitely bogged down, but that was also with far more than I would ever actually do in the actual game.

I ran into some technical challenges to get the multiple cameras to work together in order to have a 3D space backdrop, a 3D object camera, and a static main camera for the game play all working together to give me the ability to move throughout a 3D scene like Ikaruga and have the 2D action in the foreground. I finally got it all working today. Now, I need to finish up moving the gameplay action to the proper place to finalize the concept. That shouldn't be a problem. I'm hoping to have the first stage back in full working order this weekend with this new concept.

And thanks to God for pointing me in the right direction when I was stumped and ready to give up several times.