--{{!!Mario Kart 8 + DLC 1 Official Gaming Thread!!}}--

Cyan

Because if I add random shit before and after the title more people will post :D

Nah, but I couldn't find the MK8 thread, so here's a new one.

I've been playing National Mode, and here's my latest race:

Pretty good, huh?

Anyway, how many of you are planing to get the DLC? I'm not buying both at the same time, but I do plan on getting both.

Did anyone else notice SNES Rainbow Road? That's going to be HYPE as hell! I'm hoping to get the DLC day one.

Edit (by Jueg): MARIO KART 8 TOURNAMENT CODE: 7433-7607-3816

Last edited by a moderator:
Pre-ordered both packs cause I'm a sheep.

Playing this online though doesn't appeal to me much anymore. I always like Mario Kart and Smash as local games. My friend's don't care for MK anymore, so the magic is pretty much lost for me

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
So I've been practicing with outside drift vehicles a lot lately because I wanted to learn fire hopping. I've got the hang of it, but I still can't beat my Sport Bike time trials records for most courses.

Odo

I pre ordered both, because Nintendo didn't give me a choice. Yes, they created a MK8 DLC, so I had to buy them. It's a shame Nintendo doesn't stop selling those awesome things.

Koenig

The Architect
I miss the old short cuts akin to the one in Koopa Troopa Beach from MK64. Most of the short cuts in MK8 only shave off a second at most.

nerdman

pig's gotta fly
I miss the old short cuts akin to the one in Koopa Troopa Beach from MK64. Most of the short cuts in MK8 only shave off a second at most.
A second is a noticeable lead.

I don't like the overpowered shortcuts. They can make for some epic comebacks, but they mostly create boring races. Someone in 2nd - 4th gets a mushroom early and you never see them again.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I miss the old shortcuts, but these short shortcuts definitely make for more competitive play, which I like.

Koenig

The Architect
For balancing reasons I agree with you, but for the most part all of the new shortcuts are just cutting corners where as older shortcuts were unique and creative. With rare exception most laps feel the same to me now.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I'm hoping to get some games going on this Saturday between all TNE, staff and forums. What do you guys think? Who'd be down for it, around what time? I'd like to be inclusive of UK people as well if possible, so should I shoot for about 6-7 PM Eastern?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Just played the DLC, it's pretty nice. Actually it's way too little content, but I guess that fits this kind of game. It's nice to have two more cups full of tracks to throw into the mix, at least. On the other hand, it would have been really nice to get another long map like Mount Wario or Rainbow Road 64, but no such luck.

That said, Mute City and Hyrule Castle are TOP FUCKING NOTCH. @mattavelle1 you're going to hurt so bad at how much of a tease Mute City is for the F-Zero HD we'll never get.

Footage of Mute City, and later of Hyrule Castle. Don't watch if you don't want it spoiled (and also just wait a while till it finishes processing so you can watch in 720p60).

Oh and it felt wrong to play with Link and the Blue Falcon both at first, but after 5 minutes it felt right. I'd love a Super Smash Kart in the future.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Just played the DLC, it's pretty nice. Actually it's way too little content, but I guess that fits this kind of game. It's nice to have two more cups full of tracks to throw into the mix, at least. On the other hand, it would have been really nice to get another long map like Mount Wario or Rainbow Road 64, but no such luck.

That said, Mute City and Hyrule Castle are TOP FUCKING NOTCH. @mattavelle1 you're going to hurt so bad at how much of a tease Mute City is for the F-Zero HD we'll never get.

Footage of Mute City, and later of Hyrule Castle. Don't watch if you don't want it spoiled (and also just wait a while till it finishes processing so you can watch in 720p60).

Oh and it felt wrong to play with Link and the Blue Falcon both at first, but after 5 minutes it felt right. I'd love a Super Smash Kart in the future.
Dammit, won't watch but this makes me drool. Just this post got me hype like powder!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Ice Outpost is fantastic!
I thought it was a bit of a non-stage at first, but I warmed up to it, it's pretty neat. I like the shortcuts in it. Hyrule Castle looks really great but the shortcuts in it are boring. #TeamMuteCity wins, with our really cool shortcut and 2fast gameplay.

Aki

Link is pretty cool, but I think Tanooki Mario is my guy. Oh shit, just noticed that they have different colored Yoshi's. That's pretty awesome! Personally, I've always liked the yellow one.

Edit: Just finished playing both cups and I have to say that the excite bike track is probably my most favorite followed by Mute City. The sense of speed on both of those tracks is exhilarating.

Last edited:
I'm down for Saturday at that time, I stay up late anyway on weekends. Plus my brother barely sleeps in his bed anymore (I share a room, hard to play a game into the early morning with a brother sleeping...)

Anyway, I've yet to play the DLC, will get to it later.

Honestly, I'm underwhelemed with the DLC. All the courses remind me of less interesting versions of courses we already got. Ice Ice Post reminds me of that music dome stage.

Mute City and Excitebike are cute, but overall "meh".

Zelda seems to be the best stage, but again, overall I don't think these stages compare to the ones we already have.

In my opinion, if someone doesn't have it pre-order, perhaps you should spend that money on a virtual console game.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Honestly, I'm underwhelemed with the DLC. All the courses remind me of less interesting versions of courses we already got. Ice Ice Post reminds me of that music dome stage.

Mute City and Excitebike are cute, but overall "meh".

Zelda seems to be the best stage, but again, overall I don't think these stages compare to the ones we already have.

In my opinion, if someone doesn't have it pre-order, perhaps you should spend that money on a virtual console game.
Interesting because I didn't pre-order

ASuch

The Salt Master
Reviews so far of new maps
Yoshi Circuit - It's a tad tight, I'm having trouble with outward drift and maneuvering
Excitebite Arena - One of the best maps, could benefit from a Baby Park-like style
Dragon Driftway - Awesome stage
Mute City - Best stage in the entire game. The coin mechanic from the repair lanes is genius

Wario's Gold Mine - My favorite from MKWii. I'm glad they fixed the mine carts, although the bats are a pain in the ass
Rainbow Road - ghelp guys i thinkas i brokebn my eysan
Ice Ice Outpost - pretty good stage all in all
Hyrule Circuit - awesome, wish it went more around hyrule though

Egg Cup is arguably the best cup in the game

Aki

DLC is just what this game needed to pull me back in. Loving it so far. Also, I might be able to play with you guys on Saturday. I usually have stuff going on that day, but if I'm able to find the time, I'll definitely drop by for some races. Is there a thread or anything for the races tomorrow or is this it?

I honestly am not liking the Excitebike track at all. What are you guys liking so much about it? I must be missing something.
I like it because of all of the jumps that contribute to speed boosts.

3 starred both cups, gonna clear time trials and then wreck online
Did the same yesterday. 3 starred both cups on 50CC and 100CC and also 3 starred Egg Cup on 150CC. Gonna play it a bit more today to try and 3 star the remaining 3 cups that I have on 150CC. I'm thinking of just purposely staying in second place until the final lap.

I must be missing something with the whole package. I'll give it another go tomorrow I suppose
I think you are. Aside from you, I have yet to see anyone else not like the DLC.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
DLC is just what this game needed to pull me back in. Loving it so far. Also, I might be able to play with you guys on Saturday. I usually have stuff going on that day, but if I'm able to find the time, I'll definitely drop by for some races. Is there a thread or anything for the races tomorrow or is this it?
This is the one.

How does 7 or 8 PM EST sound to you guys?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Cool with me I'll download the content sometime tomorrow hopefully. How much is it?
Not sure, cause I had to download it from different places. It did an update when launching the game, then again when selecting the DLC option in the menu, so overall it might have taken close to 30 minutes.