Mario Kart 8 Holds Strong in July NPD Numbers; Wii U has con

SirNintendo submitted a new blog post

Mario Kart 8 Holds Strong in July NPD Numbers; Wii U has con

July was going to be a curious month for Nintendo, as this and August were going to be the final two quieter months for the company before the onslaught of titles for the rest of 2014 for both the Wii U and the 3DS. The success of Mario Kart 8 shows that Nintendo is attaining sustainable momentum according to the latest NPD numbers and press release for the company.

Mario Kart 8 has now sold over 1 million copies in the US alone, which is the second title on the system to do that along with...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

"Nintendo also reported that Wii U hardware sales are up 60% from the January 1st til July 30th over last years sales figures."

Not a fan of that stat. 60% isn't all that much, and mostly due to the MK8 bump. We'll see what happens this holiday. Really hope they actually do so some commercials on Network TV, I don't know if I've seen 1 the whole year. I see XB1 and PS4 a ton...

Dysnomia

But is it Nintendo difficult?
That 60% is probably all from Kart though. The back end of the year has a lot more potential system sellers- Bayonetta, Smash, Hyrule Warriors, X, and I'm really looking forward to Captain Toad, though I already have a U, probably not a system seller but potentially could have big sales numbers.

Hopefully Amiibo just by itself will help things along too in a backwards way- kids seeing the toys, so they get a Wii U in order to make them useful.

Smash obviously being the big system seller, but all of the others should each give it a bit of a bump too, especially compared to 2H 2013, hopefully.

The European and Japanese sales were much bigger than the 60% too, weren't they?

In any case, it looks to me like Nintendo is doing everything right at this time, they just need to hope things go well and really have something special in the pipeline for the next gen just in case they don't. 2015 really looks to be the make it or break it year.

"Nintendo also reported that Wii U hardware sales are up 60% from the January 1st til July 30th over last years sales figures."

Not a fan of that stat. 60% isn't all that much, and mostly due to the MK8 bump. We'll see what happens this holiday. Really hope they actually do so some commercials on Network TV, I don't know if I've seen 1 the whole year. I see XB1 and PS4 a ton...
If VGChartz is to be believed, Wii U has been holding steady selling about 60k units a week -- which is about double what it was doing earlier in the year. And in worldwide sales, its been outselling the Xbox One almost every week since Mario Kart came out.

These aren't stellar numbers -- and to be honest, I have my doubt that the Wii U will even match Gamecube's sales, but it is much better and I expect that Wii U to have a decent holiday.

What I find odd is that nobody is really talking about the Xbox's sales struggles. It had a very good launch, but since about April, the Xbox One has not been selling well. Not just in comparison to the PS4, but also to the Wii U. If the Wii U isn't selling well, then neither is the XB1 -- because the Wii U has outsold the XB1 for about 6 of the last 8 weeks.

The other thing that is rarely mentioned is that the PS4 has been a complete dud in Japan. In fact, the Wii U outsold it nearly 2-1 last week.

Odo

If VGChartz is to be believed, Wii U has been holding steady selling about 60k units a week -- which is about double what it was doing earlier in the year. And in worldwide sales, its been outselling the Xbox One almost every week since Mario Kart came out.

These aren't stellar numbers -- and to be honest, I have my doubt that the Wii U will even match Gamecube's sales, but it is much better and I expect that Wii U to have a decent holiday.

What I find odd is that nobody is really talking about the Xbox's sales struggles. It had a very good launch, but since about April, the Xbox One has not been selling well. Not just in comparison to the PS4, but also to the Wii U. If the Wii U isn't selling well, then neither is the XB1 -- because the Wii U has outsold the XB1 for about 6 of the last 8 weeks.

The other thing that is rarely mentioned is that the PS4 has been a complete dud in Japan. In fact, the Wii U outsold it nearly 2-1 last week.
Indeed.

Nobody talks about the fact that Wii U is now the second worldwide.

I expect good sales on Xmas. People we'll have a very good Nintendo console this Xmas: Mk8, Hyrule, Bayoneta, Wind Waker, SM3DW, X and a Zelda for 2015 and many others.