Marry the Kill - 2016 Game Completion Thread

Just finished Battlefront 2.

Started off okay, but the last few missions became super frustrating. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many enemies, often times I died in one hit. You gotta rush to capture control points before your spawn pool depletes, but you can't cause of the too many enemies issue, but if you don't hurry up, your comrades all die.

Arrrgh so frustrating.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Phew, Red was freaking tough. Especially that Venasaur that was type-advantaged against... 4 of my pokemon. Still have some post-post game stuff, but for now, Soul Silver complete!

praisegrima

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
I just beat Puddle. Terrible game. It requires an insane degree of precision in order to succeed and the controls and camera are simply AWFUL. Uninspired graphics and music; don't waste your money.

I played Puddle tonight for 4:08 straight, almost all of that time spent on the final level. An atrocious experience.

Last edited:
Just finished off Hitman Absolution. I definitely had fun with it, but I feel like it's a step backwards from Blood Money. Only a handful of levels have that "here's a target: kill him" setup. Lots of levels are point a to b stealth sections. As a big fan of games like Thief and Splinter Cell, or playing Deus Ex HR stealthily, I enjoyed these sections, but I can see how fans of older Hitman games would be disappointed.

The parts where it actually is Hitman are a bit simplified too. I could spend hours on a level from Blood Money figuring out the patterns of my victims and planning the perfect "accident", but in this game, it went by so fast. "Oh hey this guy passes by an electrified fence, I wonder how I kill him....oh there's a big ON switch right there".

Also not a big fan of the tone. One minute it's a grindhouse type thing with fetish nuns, the next it's a personal tale of a man trying to rescue a girl to give her a life he never had. It's all over the place. Stilll, Agent 47 is such a badass.

At the end of the day, I had fun, and that's the most important thing. I still can't get over how much Blood Money surprised me a few months ago, so I'll played Contracts soon enough, and while Absolution may not deliver that same satisfying puzzle experience I want, it's still a solid game. I mean, I can kill a man by lacing his cocaine with raw fish....that's just awesome.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Beat Pokemon Dream Radar. Actual credits roll and everything. Good use of gyro controls.

And of course, having all those extra pokemon and items to start my pokemon Black 2 journey will be nice.

praisegrima

Superfakerbros

ECE 2018
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 - Prosecutor's Path (DS)

It's a damn shame that this game never hit the west officially or will ever get a sequel because it's damn good. Like, this may just be my favorite Ace Attorney game. Most of the testimony in this game doesn't require you to make huge leaps in logic, which I feel is a welcome change from the Phoenix Wright entries

Now what other DS games should I play through again or for the first time? :mconfuse:

Just finished off Thief 2.

The first 60-70% of the game I was ready to say it was one of my favorite games of all time. What I like about Thief games is when they're about stealing shit from wealthy assholes. Break into a mansion, bank, prison, all that is good. Thief 1 had a lot of tombs and caves fighting off zombies and dinosaurs, which I felt weakened the game. Thief 2 thankfully focused on mansions and such.

The last few missions though, got a bit tedious. There was a cave level and a trip to a forest with some monsters, although admittedly, you can still stealth/knock them out from behind. It just goes to show how much of an impact the setting and environment can have on a game like this.

Mission 13 is about breaking into a mansion to survey it and found out how to get on the third floor, and you can't knock anyone out or even be seen or detected. Mission 14 is the exact same level with a few extra guards, now you have to steal 2 things located on the third floor. It just felt like unnecessary padding. Another example is a level where you start off on the rooftops, making your way across the city to break into a temple to overhear a conversation. When you get there, you discover the man of interest isn't there, so you have to find a recording message on each of the 6 floors.

It's great until the end, which is the most important thing, but I just feel like some of the later levels were stretching it. Steam says I got 24 hours put on it which is a good length by any means, but maybe it could have done with a few objectives or repeating the same mission twice. Oh well.

The stealth mechanics are fucking solid though, nothing quite like playing a stealth game. Leagues better than Thief 1.

edit: Forgot to tell my favorite part. I accidentally rushed into a room once and there was a man sleeping. He woke up because I was loud, but his character model was standing normally on the floor....through his bed. He was part man part bed. I ran up to him, hit him with my sword, shoot him with multiple arrows....nothing. He was invincible and incredibly dumb.

I'll never forget you Man-Bed.

Last edited:
Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 - Prosecutor's Path (DS)

It's a damn shame that this game never hit the west officially or will ever get a sequel because it's damn good. Like, this may just be my favorite Ace Attorney game. Most of the testimony in this game doesn't require you to make huge leaps in logic, which I feel is a welcome change from the Phoenix Wright entries

Now what other DS games should I play through again or for the first time? :mconfuse:
How did you play it? My sister has two copies of Miles Edgeworth 1, so I might "borrow" one.

Did you have to emulate with a fan patch?

Odo

I finished Yokai Watch and CoD: Black Ops

In January, I was playing XCX, Splatoon, Yo-kay Watch and Black Ops. And a bit of Pokémon Emerald.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Wii U 37:00:00 5/5 stars
Yo-kay Watch 3DS 5:00:00 5/5 stars
Splatoon Wii U 25:00:00 5/5 stars
Call of Duty: Black Ops Wii 10:00:00 3/5 stars

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I am currently working on Assassin's Creed: Rogue, but before I finish that I am finishing up Serious Sam 3: BFE, which I'll be done this week. This one area has been kicking my ass though, so I had to stop before I rage quitted.

Stay tuned for more...

Aki

witcher 3
xbox one
02/05/16

first game that i beat in the new year n what a fuckin game it was, man. it was easily my personal goty. i'd even go as far as saying that it was the best game that i've played in the past 3 years or so. i mean, game was just epic. the combat was done well. the story was amazing. the lore was good. the scale was epic. it's one of those games that's gonna define western rpgs for years to come. it's weird because i invested 10d 15h 24m of my life into beating the game n when i finally beat it, i was taken back. i was like what now? like where do i go from here. i'm really busy right now, but over the summer, once shit calms down, i think i'm gonna replay the game again.

@Karkashan nice thread, bae!

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
witcher 3
xbox one
02/05/16

first game that i beat in the new year n what a fuckin game it was, man. it was easily my personal goty. i'd even go as far as saying that it was the best game that i've played in the past 3 years or so. i mean, game was just epic. the combat was done well. the story was amazing. the lore was good. the scale was epic. it's one of those games that's gonna define western rpgs for years to come. it's weird because i invested 10d 15h 24m of my life into beating the game and when i finally beat it, i was taken back. i was like what now? like where do i go from here. i'm really busy right now, but over the summer, once shit calms down, i think i'm gonna replay the game again.

@Karkashan nice thread, bae!

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
This happened last week, but on Tuesday I finished Serious Sam 3: BFE. It's too bad it just sort of...ended, but in typical Serious Sam fashion, it does lead up to the next upcoming sequel, which is likely a few years away at this point.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game, although I did feel at times it tried to take itself too seriously. Then again, maybe that's part of the farsical nature of the game.

Just finished up Pandora's Tower.

Overall: a really solid game.

I really loved the design of the towers. The puzzles weren't too hard to solve, probably because of the time limit, but they were still satisfying to fight through, finding short cuts to the boss room so that you can cut a lot of time off travelling through them. They're just so damn unique. The first grass area has a massive tree growing upside down from the ceiling in the main hall, and all the rooms and stairs wrap around it. The water towers have a big wheel to turn, and you can grapple on the spokes with your chain to access new floors and rooms.

It's pretty refreshing to play essentially "Dungeons: The Game".

I also got a kick out of the story. The main story is about saving your girlfriend, but learning about the Towers and what the bosses are are all great. A really good lore is here.

Unfortunately, it does have issues. Moving and fighting are a tad stiff, but I got use to it quickly. Swinging with the chain is probably the worst thing in the game mechanically. It's fine swinging across a simple gap, but when you got to turn on a hook, it's needlessly clunky. A little more polish would have done the game wonders.

The enemies are hit or miss. Some are pretty damn annoying, while others are copy/pasted quite a bit. A little more variety would have been nice.

Crafting, levelling up, buying items and equipment is all pretty standard affair.

One thing I'm mixed on is the bosses. I love their design, their patterns and figuring out how to kill them. What I'm not too big on is that your main weapon is essentially useless. The chain is really all you need. Sure, upgrading your weapons help a lot for the normal enemies, but I like it when boss battles are a "final exam" type thing where you have to put your skill to the test. As they are, weapon hits don't hurt them, only chaining their weak spot and pulling. I'm torn because if your weapon attacks showed their weak spot, then they wouldn't be as puzzling as they are. Ahhh I'm torn!

That said, I do love the bosses and how badass they can be. The 11th and 12th bosses gave me such a hard-on.

And my god, that soundtrack. This term really is over used and incorrectly used a lot on the internet, but the soundtrack is epic.

I would love to see a spiritual successor to this. The story is nice and wrapped up, but a Perfect Dark or Dark Souls type continuation would be amazing.

Big thanks to @EvilTw1n for twisting my arm to get it.

Finished Conquest. I wrote in the FE thread so I'll just copy/paste here.

The story was a lot more interesting but also I was frustrated the entire time. Probably because I played Birthright first and you have to fight most of the characters I grew to like, but also because....never mind I won't say it.

I will say though, I don't know if it's because of my flu or being on edge, but I was fighting back tears the entire last mission. Once the credits started rolling, I had tears down my face. Fucking video games.

The missions were also much more interesting. Not all of them are "route the enemies". I liked the variety of defending, escaping, finding a traitor among the army, etc. Even the maps themselves had more to them, like pots of poison and medicine, or winds the push you around. Not all of the stage mechanics were great imo, but they always kept me on my toes and offered a bit of tension.

Overall, I do think Conquest is the better game, but I just found the whole thing fucking heartbreaking.

I managed to get a special edition so I can play Revelation....but this time I will take a break.

isturbo1984

Whoremonger & Cokefiend
Gonna do a monthly progress report and just post all the games I've finished. Since my last post I've just completed:
  • Life is Strange
Noting new to report until next month, but I expect to have a decent amount beaten.

SkywardCrowbar

Ok big update from me I beat 3 games in the past few days.

1. Paper Mario. 9/10. Loads of fun. Beautiful to look at. I really enjoy simplified RPG's.

2. Goldeneye 007. 10/10. To me, the most fun shooter ever. Hands down. It's actually the second time I've beaten it, but I haven't played it since 2013.

3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. 9.5/10. I found it exceptionally difficult and the controls could be trying, but all in all, a tremendous game.

SkywardCrowbar

Sorry for the double post, but I beat Resident Evil: Revelations yesterday. GREAT game. Classic RE with some nice re touching done to make it not so rough around the edges. 9.5/10.

Just finished Ocarina of Time for like, the 13th time in my life.

It's been probably since high school or first year in college though, so I tried to take nostalgia out of the equation...didn't work though. That said, I still think it's a fine game and I can see why some people still consider it the best. Not me though, I love it, but I do think there are better Zelda games.

There's just something about older games. I noticed this with Thief 1 and 2 as well, games back then were so....tight(?). Everything in the game had a purpose. All NPC's have dialogue, good side quests like the Big Poes, the masks, Big Goron Sword trade sequence, etc. The Gold Skulltulas are hidden well enough to make you appreciate the level design. It's not like today, where Assassin's Creed try to fill the screen with as many random NPC's as possible, and their idea of side quests are chests, radio towers...check list activities really. Thief, Ocarina, Super Mario 64, they make you appreciate shit.

I really hope Yooka Laylee can capture that essence of older games.

And for those curious, Link was named Ghidorah this time. Next name....probably Caesar or Gamera.