Marry the Kill - 2016 Game Completion Thread

Odo

I've been playing XCX, Splatoon, Pokémon Emerald, Rune Factory, Monster Hunter 4 and Pikmin 2.

2016 finished games

Yokai Watch
CoD: Black Ops

Played games

Xenoblade Chronicles X Wii U 55:00:00 5/5 stars
Yo-kay Watch 3DS 6:00:00 5/5 stars
Splatoon Wii U 31:00:00 5/5 stars
Call of Duty: Black Ops Wii U 7:00:00 3/5 stars
Battalion Wars 2 Wii U 3:00:00 3/5 stars
Donkey Kong Country 3 Wii U 5:41:00 5/5 stars
Lego Lord of the Rings Wii U 7:00:00 4/5 stars
Pikmin 2 Wii U 5:44:00 5/5 stars
Dragon Quest I iPad 4:00:00 5/5 stars
Rune Factory 3DS 2:00:00 4/5 stars
Monster Hunter 4U 3DS 7:00:00 5/5 stars

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Just a little while ago I finished the main storyline of Assassin's Creed: Rogue with 79% completion. All that is left is to discover the rest of the areas, and find all the loot and whatnot. Don't know what my next game is on my list though...

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I guess I need to update here.

Just Cause 3 - I finished this having done all the strongholds and villages at 100%, but didn't collect the 1,000,000 white feathers or whatever they are. But I say it's done.
Xenoblade Chronicles X - I beat chapter 12 and got the credits roll, so I guess I finally started the game? I think it still counts, though.
Wolfenstein: The New Blood - Beat it once, it was pretty fun but also forgettable.

And it seems like that's it. I guess I've been really busy with XCX, Street Fighter, and Splatoon to play much of anything else.

Shoulder

This is not a post about what I completed, but rather what I've just started. On a whim, I booted up Dishonored around 9:30pm thinking I'd play for 15 minutes, and then go to bed. I went to bed almost close to midnight last night...

Guess this is my new game to play...and first impressions are quite good so far.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
This is not a post about what I completed, but rather what I've just started. On a whim, I booted up Dishonored around 9:30pm thinking I'd play for 15 minutes, and then go to bed. I went to bed almost close to midnight last night...

Guess this is my new game to play...and first impressions are quite good so far.
Dishonored is a badass game, enjoy it. :msrs:

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Took me 'til March, but I finally beat my first game (Castlevania: Circle of the Moon) of 2016. And the damn final boss made me want to throw my controller at the TV.

And then you emerge victorious...

CotM.jpg

...only to have Dracula snark at you.

Eff off, Dracula.

This is why Konami is making you live in an erotic Pachinko machine for all eternity.
Just finished up Pandora's Tower.

Overall: a really solid game.

I really loved the design of the towers. The puzzles weren't too hard to solve, probably because of the time limit, but they were still satisfying to fight through, finding short cuts to the boss room so that you can cut a lot of time off travelling through them. They're just so damn unique. The first grass area has a massive tree growing upside down from the ceiling in the main hall, and all the rooms and stairs wrap around it. The water towers have a big wheel to turn, and you can grapple on the spokes with your chain to access new floors and rooms.

It's pretty refreshing to play essentially "Dungeons: The Game".

I also got a kick out of the story. The main story is about saving your girlfriend, but learning about the Towers and what the bosses are are all great. A really good lore is here.

Unfortunately, it does have issues. Moving and fighting are a tad stiff, but I got use to it quickly. Swinging with the chain is probably the worst thing in the game mechanically. It's fine swinging across a simple gap, but when you got to turn on a hook, it's needlessly clunky. A little more polish would have done the game wonders.

The enemies are hit or miss. Some are pretty damn annoying, while others are copy/pasted quite a bit. A little more variety would have been nice.

Crafting, levelling up, buying items and equipment is all pretty standard affair.

One thing I'm mixed on is the bosses. I love their design, their patterns and figuring out how to kill them. What I'm not too big on is that your main weapon is essentially useless. The chain is really all you need. Sure, upgrading your weapons help a lot for the normal enemies, but I like it when boss battles are a "final exam" type thing where you have to put your skill to the test. As they are, weapon hits don't hurt them, only chaining their weak spot and pulling. I'm torn because if your weapon attacks showed their weak spot, then they wouldn't be as puzzling as they are. Ahhh I'm torn!

That said, I do love the bosses and how badass they can be. The 11th and 12th bosses gave me such a hard-on.

And my god, that soundtrack. This term really is over used and incorrectly used a lot on the internet, but the soundtrack is epic.

I would love to see a spiritual successor to this. The story is nice and wrapped up, but a Perfect Dark or Dark Souls type continuation would be amazing.

Big thanks to @EvilTw1n for twisting my arm to get it.
Meant to respond to this earlier. Super stoked that you enjoyed it, man. It's true that it could've used some more polish here and there (I mean, it looks like a PS2 game, after all - I wasn't joking), but a good concept and great map design goes a long, long, long way toward mitigating those problems, IMO. And I adored the bosses. Best I've played since SotC (MonHun aside).

...and because I skived off from my duties, I really should replay Pandora's Tower again. But Twilight Princess HD beckons...

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Spent pretty much all of today on a brand new Fire Emblem Awakening playthrough cause I was suddenly in the mood to replay it after finishing Revelation.

As evidenced by my posting in this thread, I have already completed said playthrough. Chrobin4lyfe, yo.

praisegrima

Last edited:

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

Took me a couple days, but I finished my playthrough of the english patched version of Fire Emblem 12 aka Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~.

Pretty good game, although there are perhaps waaaaay too many characters. The remake really does a good job of fleshing out the world and the story, though.

Shout out to the 7th Platoon. Hooah.

grimabepraised

Shoulder

Just finished up playing Dishonored, and what a great game. I love stealth-based games, and this one was no exception. I also got some nostalgic feels from Deus Ex just from the standpoint of going from mission to mission and having a choice of going guns blazing, or simply be quiet as a mouse. The blink ability to move from point a to point b in a flash was a very cool gameplay mechanic and definitely added a unique way in solving how to progress in a level.

I will agree with @juegosmajicos in that you do feel a bit overpowered as you get further into the game, which is why I will have to try out the hardest difficulty. But the game also seems to beg to give you the choice if you want to pick up runes and charms, or avoid them entirely and play the game without them. Lots of interesting ways on how you can play the game.

Now, what to play next...

Shoulder

And then just now, I played through MGS: Ground Zeroes finally...not that it's really much of a completion. It only took me just under 2 hours to play-through it.

I do look forward to play MGSV when I eventually pick it up...

Finished:
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
Thief Deadly Shadows
Singularity

Just finished up playing Dishonored, and what a great game. I love stealth-based games, and this one was no exception. I also got some nostalgic feels from Deus Ex just from the standpoint of going from mission to mission and having a choice of going guns blazing, or simply be quiet as a mouse. The blink ability to move from point a to point b in a flash was a very cool gameplay mechanic and definitely added a unique way in solving how to progress in a level.

I will agree with @juegosmajicos in that you do feel a bit overpowered as you get further into the game, which is why I will have to try out the hardest difficulty. But the game also seems to beg to give you the choice if you want to pick up runes and charms, or avoid them entirely and play the game without them. Lots of interesting ways on how you can play the game.

Now, what to play next...
I loved Dishonored as well. Have you play any of the Thief games? I just finished the third one. Overall they're really solid but have moments of frustration in them as well though.

Maybe a gift is coming your way on Steam soon? Perhaps? *hint hint*

Shoulder

I loved Dishonored as well. Have you play any of the Thief games? I just finished the third one. Overall they're really solid but have moments of frustration in them as well though.

Maybe a gift is coming your way on Steam soon? Perhaps? *hint hint*
I have never played any of the Thief games. I believe the third one you're referring to is Deadly shadows, is it not?

I have never played any of the Thief games. I believe the third one you're referring to is Deadly shadows, is it not?
Yup.

Looking Glass Studios made the first two, but were shut down shortly after. Ion Storm lead by Warren Spector (made Deus Ex...ever hear of that one? :p) made the third one with a bunch of ex-staff members from Looking Glass.

Deadly Shadows was really fucking good imo, but it crashed a few times, I glitched through walls a few times, etc. It has it's problems and I almost quit at the beginning, but once it got going it was an incredible stealth game. Ask most of fans and they'll say it's the weakest of the three BY FAR because the levels are much more smaller, and the newly introduced Hub World is kinda weak (which is is most of the time).

Still, I think DS is pretty damn good.

I recently picked up the Thief reboot off PSN for three dollars. I'll play that soon enough but my expectations are relatively low for it.

Shoulder

Yup.

Looking Glass Studios made the first two, but were shut down shortly after. Ion Storm lead by Warren Spector (made Deus Ex...ever hear of that one? :p) made the third one with a bunch of ex-staff members from Looking Glass.

Deadly Shadows was really fucking good imo, but it crashed a few times, I glitched through walls a few times, etc. It has it's problems and I almost quit at the beginning, but once it got going it was an incredible stealth game. Ask most of fans and they'll say it's the weakest of the three BY FAR because the levels are much more smaller, and the newly introduced Hub World is kinda weak (which is is most of the time).

Still, I think DS is pretty damn good.

I recently picked up the Thief reboot off PSN for three dollars. I'll play that soon enough but my expectations are relatively low for it.
If it has Warren Spector attached to it, that immediately peaks my interest. Deus Ex is only my #3 GOAT.

If it has Warren Spector attached to it, that immediately peaks my interest. Deus Ex is only my #3 GOAT.
Maybe I'm setting your expectations too high haha.

It does help plot wise if you start at 1. The ending of DS is all the better if you followed Garrett's story all the way through. DS also does spoil a bit of the plots of the previous ones too, so be careful if you start with DS.

Each game focuses on a different faction of the city. The Pagans worship the Trickster God and believe nature should be in control absolute. The Hamerites worship the Master Builder and believe the world should focus on technological advancement and build everything from metals. Finally we have the Keepers, a sort of "being the shadows" group who believe in prophecies from ancient texts, they know of dangers coming such as a certain Pagan or Hamerite and try to deal with it before it begins.

Idk, I can talk about the games all day, and it really does feel like how a trilogy should be. It just works.

just finished up Dead Space 2.

If you ask me, everything about it was a step back. The levels aren't open ended with exploration anymore, it's just a straight path with the scatter "you can check this room for some ammo". The tension of the first was completely gone, wasn't scary at all to me.

Me and @mattavelle1 talked about it I liked it as a shooter, but the first one was something special. I loved games like Dead Space, Luigi's Mansion, etc where the environment is the star of the show. Exploring the ship or mansion in those games felt awesome, as if this is a real place and some shit went down. You come to know it and it becomes familiar. DS 2 did away with all that imo.

Some monsters were also annoying as shit.

And not quite sure about the story. I basically had one question about the Marker from 1 going into 2, but now I'm more confused than ever.

Oh well, still fun.

Back in the dark ages (January) I played through Sonic Adventure 2. Well, almost. I didn't actually finish it cause the final level blew chunks. I decided to go back and finish it up. So that's a thing that happened tonight.

Sonic A 2 isn't really all that good. I genuinely like Sonic A 1, but for whatever reason, 2 is a big step back in most every way. I still have fun with 2, but I don't consider it a game that aged well. Better than 06 though.

Shoulder

Just finished Uncharted 1 on PS4, which is one of my several playthroughs over the years. Right now, I guess I'm playing the whole trilogy, so UC2 is next on my list, which I've already played a little bit of so far.

And I'll make a mention of this as well, but I guess you could say I played through the whole campaign of Diablo 3, although in some respects that game does not count because adventure mode gives you practically limitless gameplay. Nevertheless, I played through the game about a week ago, and have been playing adventure mode since, which is quite a treat, especially if you decide to try out different classes. It would take me hundreds of hours to 100% the game which would include max lvling out all classes twice, among a few other things, so I doubt that'll ever happen.

Odo

Captain Toad is a brilliant game! For those who enjoy cracking puzzles, this is for you.

I was playing Pikmin 2 but I found it a bit repetitive. The original is better.

2016 finished games

Yokai Watch
Captain Toad

Played games

Xenoblade Chronicles X Wii U 78:00:00 5/5 stars
Splatoon Wii U 37:00:00 5/5 stars
Monster Hunter 4U 3DS 20:00:00 5/5 stars
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Wii U 2:00:00 4/5 stars

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Captain Toad is a brilliant game! For those who enjoy cracking puzzles, this is for you.

I was playing Pikmin 2 but I found it a bit repetitive. The original is better.

2016 finished games

Yokai Watch
Captain Toad

Played games

Xenoblade Chronicles X Wii U 78:00:00 5/5 stars
Splatoon Wii U 37:00:00 5/5 stars
Monster Hunter 4U 3DS 20:00:00 5/5 stars
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Wii U 2:00:00 4/5 stars
I did everything there was to do in Capt Toad. I loved everything about it

Shoulder

So last week I finished Uncharted 2 (again), and just a couple days ago, I also played through again Uncharted 3. You can see I'm prepping myself for Uncharted 4 next month. I have not found all the treasures in all three games, but I'll be working on it. I don't particularly like going for all the trophies in PS games, but on occasion I've done it if they're fairly easy to get (as I did for UC1, Crysis, and Dead Space on PS3), but otherwise I do not strive for that kind of completion, but this thread is less about 100% completion, and more about playing through games you enjoy, whether it's an old or new game.

What's next on my list? Well, last night I was playing some XCX again, and then followed up with SC: Blacklist (also on Wii U). Maybe I'll stick with Blacklist as the time consumption isn't as grand, because I know XCX will take a lot of my time. Then again, something was starting to click with XCX, so maybe I'll tackle that first.

BobSilencieux

A couple of days ago, in the first week of April, the fourth month of the year, I finished my first game of 2016. My Nintendo Twilight Princess Picross.

The reason why it took me so long to finish a game in 2016 is because I have only played one game for the last 4 months. And I finally finished that one too, just now. Xenoblade Chronicles X, 100% completed in 425 hours.

:msrs:

Shoulder

A couple of days ago, in the first week of April, the fourth month of the year, I finished my first game of 2016. My Nintendo Twilight Princess Picross.

The reason why it took me so long to finish a game in 2016 is because I have only played one game for the last 4 months. And I finally finished that one too, just now. Xenoblade Chronicles X, 100% completed in 425 hours.

:msrs:
As @mattavelle1 would say, DAYUM, SON!!! I played some XCX last night, and am only 25 hours in, and I just finished chapter 5, so I haven't made it to Skells just yet. I want dem Skells, man.

BobSilencieux

This is the achievement that shows I've done 100% of surveying in all continents and city districts... installed evey data probe, completed every story, affinity, and normal mission, viewed every heart-to-heart, killed every tyrant.... you get the picture.

Shoulder

This is the achievement that shows I've done 100% of surveying in all continents and city districts... installed evey data probe, completed every story, affinity, and normal mission, viewed every heart-to-heart, killed every tyrant.... you get the picture.

So how come you only have 688 out of 749 achievements unlocked though? :mmischief:

Odo

Nice! Now you can delete the save and do everything again.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I have 100% done everything that can be done in Mario Golf Toadstool tour.

And I will still play 18 holes a week. What a fantastically laid out holes across all courses.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I know you said it before, but what was it that you were missing all these years to beat?
You can have star players and play on the star tour which is much more difficult. But I didn't know you can win trophys by using non-star players on the star tour (makin it 2x harder). And I finally finished the last trophy tonight on bowsers tournament using my non star player on that star tour.

(I'm a Waluigi player)

You can have star players and play on the star tour which is much more difficult. But I didn't know you can win trophys by using non-star players on the star tour (makin it 2x harder). And I finally finished the last trophy tonight on bowsers tournament using my non star player on that star tour.

(I'm a Waluigi player)

Shit man, I bet the A.I. and rubberbanding on that much be ridiculous.

Congrats

Just finished up Driver: San Francisco,

I don't know if it's because I don't play a lot of racers, but I found it pretty difficult. I find cars are super easy to lose control of, and there's too much traffic. I don't know why every racer has to be open world now, but it made a lot of races more hard than it already is.

Lots of side activities left, although I did all the main story and character missions. Some side missions seem like a "I'm gonna have to set aside this whole afternoon for one" judging by how hard some of them are. I might slowly pick at them over time, but after the last few, I'm not in a rush.

I was debating between this or Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, but this has local multiplayer so I picked up Driver. Not a bad game just needlessly hard because of traffic and traction being a non-existent thing.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

Beat Blood of Bahamut

(well, the story, at any rate. The game says I'm only 35% ish done and there's good reason for that - a whole lot of extra Behemoths I've yet to fight and probably won't because they're tailored for multiplayer and as anyone who has ever tried to solo certain G rank monster hunts can attest, that ain't the most fun thing in the world to do before the clock runs out)

praisegrima

Shoulder

Just finished up Driver: San Francisco,

I don't know if it's because I don't play a lot of racers, but I found it pretty difficult. I find cars are super easy to lose control of, and there's too much traffic. I don't know why every racer has to be open world now, but it made a lot of races more hard than it already is.

Lots of side activities left, although I did all the main story and character missions. Some side missions seem like a "I'm gonna have to set aside this whole afternoon for one" judging by how hard some of them are. I might slowly pick at them over time, but after the last few, I'm not in a rush.

I was debating between this or Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, but this has local multiplayer so I picked up Driver. Not a bad game just needlessly hard because of traffic and traction being a non-existent thing.
So do you think someone such as myself who loves racing games, might enjoy this?

So do you think someone such as myself who loves racing games, might enjoy this?
I would recommend it. Who knows, since you're more experienced at racers than me maybe you'll find it easy.

I was just frustrated a lot during some races. It's not a sim, but it's not NFS either, you gotta take your time around corners and such. It's definitely fun but I just don't see how it's possible for myself doing some of these side challenges unless I spend hours at one. That makes me sad because I want to keep playing but don't want to get frustrated when a pedestrian vehicle undoubtedly crashes with me.

SkywardCrowbar

Twintelle's loyal Husbando
Beat Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (I insist that everyone reads that in the Resident Evil announcer guy's awesome voice).

Overall, very fun. Takes the tried and true Mercenaries gameplay from RE 4 & 5 and makes a whole game out of it. Some minor quibbles are that the controls are a touch clunky (can't do two tasks at the same time, resulting in weird situations where you think you're about to perform a fatality melee move, but instead climb on something), not enough variety in the music, and the unlockables system.

All in all, considering I got it for $5, I give it an 8/10. It was a lot of fun, and that's what a game should be!

Shoulder

I booted up GoldenSun The Lost Age a few days ago, and thankfully did not forget where I was in the game. I need a break from XCX, so I'll tackle this jrpg and pound that sucker right in the kisser all the way back to the Venus Lighthouse.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom

Beat Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story for the Game Gear.

...I wouldn't call it the jankiest beat-em-up I've ever played, because there is a smattering of good game design in here, but at the same time the lack of a neutral attack is the weirdest shit.

Oh, and the lady is the third boss (all of the bosses are about 60% bigger than your character).

praisegrima