Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Official Thread ¦ A Hideo Kojima Game

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN

A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME
The time has finally arrived. Metal Gear Solid V is a massive titan looming in the horizon, getting ever closer. This thread will be dedicated to all discussion of the game. Spoiler mark everything as soon as it comes out. There are a few ground rules, there are no leaks allowed and all media pertaining to the game must be spoiler marked, with the exception of this first post, in case some people don’t want to be spoiled. Here is a table of contents for what will be covered in this post.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

I IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SNAKE

II REMEMBER THE BASICS

III TACTICAL ESPIONAGE REDEFINED

IV CODEC CALL

V HAS COME

IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SNAKE

Developer: Kojima Productions
Publisher: Konami
Release Date: September 1st, 2015
Platforms: Playstation 4, Playstation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PC
Price: 59.99 US
Genre: Stealth, action

PC Requirements:

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core i5-4460 (3.40 GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (2GB) or better (DirectX 11 card Required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 28 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60GHz) or better; Quad-core or better
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (DirectX 11 graphic card required)
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 28 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card (Surround Sound 5.1)

So now that we have covered the general mumbo jumbo, let’s talk story. Do you need to refresh yourself? Are you one of those few who are buying this game without having played any previous game? This is for you. First of all, if you have not played any previous game, it is highly recommended that you play all the previous ones first. There are probably going to be a lot of hidden easter eggs that only the people who have played previous games are going to enjoy. The essential playing for this title is: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker and Metal Gear Sold 5: Ground Zeroes. Do not expect to understand the plot if you haven’t played these in order. The whole Metal Gear Solid series is recommended, as there are bound to be some explanations for the events of Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 4.

Let's say that you don’t have the money, or the time, or are a returning gamer excited for Metal Gear Solid 5, lucky for you there are tons of videos and websites out there that are more than willing to explain the story.

GameTrailers' Retrospective is quite good

GameSpot also has this nice catch-up series for Metal Gear Solid 5, no videos

And if these don’t do it for you, the Metal Gear wiki also has nice in-depth sections on certain characters and such.

This game takes place nine years after the events of Ground Zeroes, with Big Boss waking up from a coma, caused by an explosion that takes place in Ground Zeroes. It will cover his downfall from hero to villain, and it is going to have some crazy twists that we have come to know and love from Kojima.

So are you all caught up? Let's get down to how this game will exactly play

REMEMBER THE BASICS

Metal Gear Solid V is going to feature the most advanced and most refined 3D gameplay from the Metal Gear Solid series. It builds on to the foundations that Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker and Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes already set up.

This game will take the Metal Gear Solid formula and adapt it to an open world. If you have played Ground Zeroes, you have a pretty good idea of the gameplay so far. Its going to get far more fleshed out and expanded in The Phantom Pain however. Here is a video that will give you a good idea of what you are getting into:

TACTICAL ESPIONAGE REDEFINED
This next section is going to cover the features of this game and how content packed it will be. This game not only features the Metal Gear Solid we all know and love, but it features an open world too. Did you prefer the more streamlined design of previous Metal Gears? You are in luck, you are able to play this game linearly jumping from mission to mission. Thirsty for more streamlined missions? Side ops are right there to back you up.

This game has been designed to take your full attention and hold it for extended periods of time. It features a full on base building mode which can also be used to take part in the online multiplayer mode where you infiltrate other bases and gather resources.

It will also feature Metal Gear Online 3, which unfortunately won't be available on release date but it will be available at a later date. It is for the better too, as going through and enjoying this game will take quite a bit of time.

And this is without mentioning all the other touches in the game, such as the buddy system, the real time weather system, and the variety of lands you will be exploring here.

CODEC CALL

Aka media. Here are all the trailers and gameplay demos.
(BE WARNED, THE NEXT TRAILER HAS A BIG SPOILER)

V HAS COME

When discussing the game, please remember to spoiler tag, some might not be finishing the game at your speed or some might be holding off on the game for whatever reason. Remember, keep discussion nice and orderly and yes, batshit insane theories are allowed. Its the end of an era, lets enjoy ourselves. See you guys on the other side.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
Fuck me. That intro was amazing. It took me like an hour to get through the prologue. I am anxious to play more tomorrow, but here are some spoiler free impressions:

-The intro completely relieved my worries that the story would be underwhelming. It is one of the heaviest expositions in Metal Gear Solid, if not the heaviest. Out of all the Metal Gear Solids, this is my favorite intro by far. It teaches you what the game is all about: the gameplay and the batshit insanity. All I will say about this, because I don't want to spoil it.

-The gameplay is definitely Ground Zeroes 2.0 with some improvements.

-Cutscene direction is superb, it had a great way of mixing cutscenes with gameplay without making the gameplay QTE heavy.

-Meanwhile on the topic of cutscenes, even though Snake has barely talked so far, it seems natural. It just works for the Phantom Pain.

-The gunplay feels way better. You can do third person shooting or first person shooting.

-And this can run on my laptop at a smooth 60fps, even when all hell was loose towards the end of the intro. It runs better than Ground Zeroes for me, as crazy as that may be. Keep in mind, I haven't gotten to the open world part yet, but I am expecting only a few minor drops. If you have a decent computer, this game will run on it. Take my word for it.

And thats it for now. Unfortunately, I won't be able to play much tomorrow, but I will try to squeeze a couple hours in in the afternoon.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
OK, so some more impressions:

-Storywise, this hasn't disappointed. I am on episode 5 and while so far I haven't seen any insane 'Metal Gear Solid' moments thus far, aside from the intro, but the cassette tapes are amazing and full of lore and story. A big chunk of the story is on here, and I recommend that you listen to as many as you can. What I love about them is that some of them are hidden throughout the world. Whenever I find one, I am excited to listen to it as it feels like I have earned it, no matter how useless it is (one of them is literally a guy going to the toilet, all you hear is farts, disappointed but not at the same time).

-The gameplay really opens up after the prologue. The first episode is amazing, imagine Ground Zeroes but far more expanded. There are just so many possibilities and you can play it in so many different ways. I am definitely going to replay stages more than a couple of times.

-Metal Gear feels like it was made for open world. It is a blast, the side ops (there are 150+ of them according to my mission counter) feel like missions of their own. Each side op feels like another Ground Zeroes in terms of freedom and fun.

-This is a return to the Thief/STALKER/Deus Ex-era type of openworld freedom (from what I gather from those games). In this game you actually have to think in a realistic sense of the word. Lets say that you are in a base, ok? But the road to the base is guarded, you scout out the little camp in front of the base. How many enemies are there? Ah ok, I can snipe them or CQC them or tranq them, its fine. Too many enemies? OK, lets find a way through the mountains, unless I want to go in guns blazing. The way through the mountains guided by bears? (These guys can two shot you), well I can take them on, but I guess I will just sneak through the road. You sneak through (these sneaking sections are far more exciting than you think, too many 'too close' moments for me). OK, I'm at the base. Maybe I should take out the searchlight operators. And cut all communications because they might ask for reinforcements. Wait, what if I interrogate the searchlight soldier and ask him where my objective (lets say prisoner) is, and ask him for the positions of his friends. He might or might not know. Maybe I should take out the radio communications, but it is way too guarded, do I take the risk? You get the gist, it is a lot of decision making, and rarely do you come across a wrong decision. A lot of entryways are viable, you could enter bases from north, south, east, west, you name it.

-So time to be a bit negative about this game. The loading between motherbase and the open world is way too long, and also, the game spoils who is going to be in the next 'episode' right before you enter it. I end up just not looking at these, it isn't worth it. They spoiled who was going to be in the first mission, but tbh, I forgot all about it by the time I got to that part.

-Also, Kojima wasn't kidding when he said that some buddies are completely missable. I ran into DD by luck, I was just minding my own business, riding my horse, and bark bark bark, I stop and look for him.

-Out of all the people in the E3 2013 trailer, I have only seen two so far, Ocelot and Kaz. Nobody else, which gets me hyped when I think that I haven't experienced everything that the game has to offer yet.

-Also, the cutscene direction is the best its ever been in a Metal Gear game. And the best part is that it feels like you EARNED these cutscenes considering how sparse they are. Trust me, I was afraid that this was going to be bad, but I don't mind it.

-I haven't gotten too much into Mother Base stuff, GMP isn't the only important part to it, there is far more that is going on here. You have to get fuel, metals, tons and tons of stuff. I have been trying to get more into it, but my Mother Base is so tiny compared to the gargantuan ones they have shown off in presentations. I am going to spend one of these days resource gathering, which is fun on its own due to the nature of acquiring stuff in this game.

-Advice to incoming players: Take your time! Do not rush through this game, take it slow and easy. It is far more enjoyable that way and you will get much more 'bang for your buck', since some awesome things are easily missable.

Wolven

The Wolf of TNE Street
So this is my last update on it since it seems like it is going into spoiler heavy territory now and I have covered all the basics of the game.

-Kojima wackiness is back full time, and I love it.

-The couple 'episodes' are pretty story heavy, but then it goes into this long dry spell where the game expects you to learn it and get used to it, so you don't get caught up on the story. The story purposefully takes a backseat, with your focus here being learning the ins and outs of the game.

-For me, I saw the first dozen episodes as a tutorial, because when you get to a very special part, you will have already mastered the gameplay systems, you will have all your buddies (if you played your cards right), and you will start feeling the magic of the game. The game was already my GOTY from episode 3, but its going to take a very special game to overcome it now.

And this is all I will say. Just a big tip without any spoilers though: PLEASE listen to the cassette tapes. Listen to them while exploring Afghanistan on your horse. All those worries that people had were misleading, the story doesn't feel hamfisted, just listen to them. I did hear that the ending was unsatisfying, and that an ending scene was cut out, so that might be an issue, but so far there is no problem in story. This game has thus far felt like a celebration of Metal Gear. Each base feels like a little Shadow Moses, or a more appropriate comparison, Ground Zeroes.

If you are a Metal Gear fan, this game has to be at the top of your purchase list.

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
This was starting to catch my interest in a big way, but Wolvie - an hour of exposition at the start? That might have killed the deal for me - that's what I hated about MGS4. :p Getting over that hump though, I've heard the story was more minimalist, at least by MGS standards (that's a plus for me, I don't enjoy watching shitty game movies). Thematically it seemed to channel a bit of Mamoru Oshii circa Patlabor 2 (the dynamics that provide peace to a centre exacerbate violence in a periphery). The real appeal for me though is that it seems to have a cool toolkit with creative freedom for divergent solutions to problem solving - the lifeblood of any legit tactics/strategy focus in a game. As in game, not movie.

Has anyone been playing this on the PS3, or heard about the PS3 version? I was surprised to find there was one, and so long as it isn't a totally mutilated experience (I am not especially concerned about graphical downgrades), this would be my preferred route to playing MGS5 sometime over the next 6 months.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I really love how, for the most part, this game takes place in 1984.... The MGS alternate version of 1984, but still....

I love how it feels like that era in some ways, but in others, it feels far removed and extremely advanced....

Kojima's timeline for MGS is basically a lot like acual history's, stay for all the ficional MGS stuff smashed in between it....

Kojima's world in MGS is a bit further advanced than our own, which makes MGSV have this Escapse from New York kind of feel in how everything looks and sounds....

It's like playing a game with a look, feel and story strait out of a 1980's scifi/action/adventure novel....

By far, my favorite MGS in terms of look and feel, right next to the original MGS....

As far as gameplay goes, they took everything that was awesome about Peace Walker (army/base building and fulton ballons) combined it with MGS4's smooth gameplay chops and built it all around this Snake Eater esc inspired open world....

The best of all three of those games is found wrapped in this cool semi-futuristic version of 1984 called MGSV....

MGSV....
MGS: Twin Snakes....
MGS4....

The best MGS games imo now....

Now all they need to do is remake the first two MSX Metal Gear games with the Fox Engine, and the cycle will be complete....

Last edited:

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-would-have-been-60-hours-of-humiliation.aspx

"On a recent special episode of the Game Informer Show podcast, we look back at the recording of one of gaming’s most important titles. Metal Gear Solid, which debuted in 1998, brought the series into the 3D world with compelling voice acting and a complex and engaging story.

A big part of that and the rest of the series through 2010’s Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was actor David Hayter. He spoke with us about recording the original game and the unfortunate circumstances that led to him not appearing in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Hayter says that he ran into a producer on the game at a recording studio. The two shared a drink and Hayter brought the game up, asking if they should hammer out the deal, but was told that he wasn’t going to be needed.

“That was basically it, and then I talked to Kris Zimmerman (Metal Gear English casting and voice director),” Hayter recounts. “She said, ‘We’re going forward, but it looks like they are going to try and replace you.’ They tried to do that before, and it never worked. They tried to get voice matches, and it never happened.”

He goes on to explain how Kojima attempted to find other actors for other more recent entries. “I had to re-audition for Metal Gear 3 to play Naked Snake,” Hayter says. “They made me re-audition to play Old Snake, and the whole time, they were trying to find somebody else to do it. I heard that Kojima asked one of the producers on Metal Gear 3 to ask Kurt Russell if he would take over for that game. He didn’t want to do it.”

Hayter admits it was painful to lose to role that he helped shape. However, he reflects that it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience to play Snake.

“It was annoying to me, because I thought that I had given a lot to the series and really helped promote it,” he tells us. “At the same time, I genuinely feel that the run I had as Snake was remarkable. If you get that once in your career, that’s amazing. I don’t have any ill will toward Kiefer Sutherland or anything like that. The whole thing could have been handled better and a little more respectfully, but I’m not going to cry about it.”

At this point, Hayter has left his time as Snake in the past. He tells us that he isn’t eager to drag up the hurt.

“I was so annoyed by the Metal Gear V debacle, and people said, ‘Are you gonna play the game?’” he says. “Yeah. That’ll be 60 hours of humiliation that I can’t get to. I haven’t played the latest two iterations, because it’s just too painful.”

As for whether the two will ever join forces again, Hayter doesn't think it's in the cards. "I've got no particular love for Kojima," he tells us. "I don't feel any need to go back and work with him again."

Last edited:

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...-would-have-been-60-hours-of-humiliation.aspx

"On a recent special episode of the Game Informer Show podcast, we look back at the recording of one of gaming’s most important titles. Metal Gear Solid, which debuted in 1998, brought the series into the 3D world with compelling voice acting and a complex and engaging story.

A big part of that and the rest of the series through 2010’s Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was actor David Hayter. He spoke with us about recording the original game and the unfortunate circumstances that led to him not appearing in Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Hayter says that he ran into a producer on the game at a recording studio. The two shared a drink and Hayter brought the game up, asking if they should hammer out the deal, but was told that he wasn’t going to be needed.

“That was basically it, and then I talked to Kris Zimmerman (Metal Gear English casting and voice director),” Hayter recounts. “She said, ‘We’re going forward, but it looks like they are going to try and replace you.’ They tried to do that before, and it never worked. They tried to get voice matches, and it never happened.”

He goes on to explain how Kojima attempted to find other actors for other more recent entries. “I had to re-audition for Metal Gear 3 to play Naked Snake,” Hayter says. “They made me re-audition to play Old Snake, and the whole time, they were trying to find somebody else to do it. I heard that Kojima asked one of the producers on Metal Gear 3 to ask Kurt Russell if he would take over for that game. He didn’t want to do it.”

Hayter admits it was painful to lose to role that he helped shape. However, he reflects that it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience to play Snake.

“It was annoying to me, because I thought that I had given a lot to the series and really helped promote it,” he tells us. “At the same time, I genuinely feel that the run I had as Snake was remarkable. If you get that once in your career, that’s amazing. I don’t have any ill will toward Kiefer Sutherland or anything like that. The whole thing could have been handled better and a little more respectfully, but I’m not going to cry about it.”

At this point, Hayter has left his time as Snake in the past. He tells us that he isn’t eager to drag up the hurt.

“I was so annoyed by the Metal Gear V debacle, and people said, ‘Are you gonna play the game?’” he says. “Yeah. That’ll be 60 hours of humiliation that I can’t get to. I haven’t played the latest two iterations, because it’s just too painful.”

As for whether the two will ever join forces again, Hayter doesn't think it's in the cards. "I've got no particular love for Kojima," he tells us. "I don't feel any need to go back and work with him again."
Still doesn't answer the major question though: Why?

Was Hayter somehow difficult to work with, and wanted someone who was more complying, or perhaps Kojima just wanted a new voice? I suspect it simply is the latter.

Playing through Ground Zeroes, it was definitely weird hearing Kiefer Sutherland rather than David Hayter, but what was interesting is the how Snake speaks and his tone. It's still very similar to David Hayter's, but the voice is simply different. I know I'll get used to it, but after all these years with David Hayter, it's difficult to switch.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Still doesn't answer the major question though: Why?

Was Hayter somehow difficult to work with, and wanted someone who was more complying, or perhaps Kojima just wanted a new voice? I suspect it simply is the latter.

Playing through Ground Zeroes, it was definitely weird hearing Kiefer Sutherland rather than David Hayter, but what was interesting is the how Snake speaks and his tone. It's still very similar to David Hayter's, but the voice is simply different. I know I'll get used to it, but after all these years with David Hayter, it's difficult to switch.
I could only speculate as to why.... But that conversation we had in chat is a good place to start imo....

But it's all specualtion on my part, I honestly have no idea why he dropped Hayter....