Microsoft to buy Minecraft maker, Mojang

Ex-Actarus

That's seems a lot just for 1 IP really.

Do they expect Minecraft 2 to have the same kind of success ?

How do you make a return on 2.5 billion, just in 1 year ?

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
WSJ with some numbahs.
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/09...ns-comparing-mojang-king-rovio-and-supercell/

"Mojang’s profit was $128 million on net sales of $325 million in 2013. Actual profit from the Minecraft game was even higher because Mojang paid $129 million, by coincidence practically the same amount as Mojang’s annual profit, in licensing fees to a separate company which Mojang’s owner Markus Persson has set up to control intellectual rights to Minecraft."

Koenig

The Architect
Well...Now that I think about it, didn't Rare release one or two games on the DS a while back? I think It was a a racing port and Viva Pinata variant.

Who knows, maybe (If the moon is full, all the planets align and Hell freezes over) Microsoft might release Minecraft on all systems.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I think this will end up with Mojang going the way of Rareware but worse. All the creators that meant anything left the company. There is nobody to push back when they try to steamroll the creators while prepping for their money printing machine.

I have no interest in Minecraft. I find it a Lego replacement in 3D which Lego didn't capitalize on since they were so busy making stories for Lego characters. I know there is more but I just don't have the drive to put my heart and soul into a bunch of blocks when I could spend that time with a paint brush and canvas or block of clay to mold.

That being said, I think we need to start a timer to see how long it takes for Microsoft to charge people to use a certain amount of blocks or at least make them use Skydrive...blech.

Minecraft is cool. I'm just still butthurt about losing all my inventory to a lava pit after having gone exploring for a long time. That and I don't have time for these kinds of things anymore.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
The one thing I wonder from this: What else is Mojang besides Minecraft? Or is Mojang just Minecraft?

I guess what I'm asking is could Mojang expand and make something as grand and open as Minecraft was and still make it the hit that Minecraft has become in recent years?

Koenig

The Architect
Mojang is the company name that Minecraft is published under/made by. It consists of three people, all of whom are leaving once the 2.5 Billion deal is finished.

To summarize, Microsoft was not interested in Mojang, but rather Minecraft.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Mojang is the company name that Minecraft is published under/made by. It consists of three people, all of whom are leaving once the 2.5 Billion deal is finished.

To summarize, Microsoft was not interested in Mojang, but rather Minecraft.
Seems rather high of a price for just one game, don't you think? Is it even possible for Microsoft to recoup the costs of this investment, given that all three founders will be leaving anyway? Can Minecraft make Microsoft that money back?

Koenig

The Architect
In time, yes; however I highly doubt it will "Break even" by the end of 2015 like they are betting on. Not unless they release it on every computer device from here to moon and market it in an equivalent fashion, with or without merchandise I might add.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.

[A part of me is quite dismissive of these sorts of things. There's a band I follow who broke big a few years ago, and then they sort of sat on their hands, because "it was getting too big too fast." Well, just about every working stiff who wants to play music for a living is playing the world's tiniest violin for you. But OTOH, anonymity is powerful. Fame robs you of a degree of humanity, and if you never searched for it in the first place, then I grok stepping away.]