[Microsoft] Xbox 360 Overtakes Wii as Top UK Console

Thanks for the RRoD hardware bug that caused consumers in the UK to have to purchase multiple 360's, Xbox 360 has successfully managed to overtake the Wii as the second best selling console in the UK! :p
Here's the real news:

The Xbox 360 is the best-selling console of this generation in the UK, with 8.4 million sold.

MCV reports that Microsoft's console is regularly outselling all its rivals and will overtake Nintendo's Wii in a matter of days, according to Chart-Track.

Despite this, the Xbox 360 isn't the UK's best-selling console of all time just yet, that title is still held by the PlayStation 2 which has shifted over 10 million units since it was launched back in 2000. At a global level too, last we heard Sony's PlayStation 3 was just pipping the Xbox 360 in terms of boxes shipped.

Nevertheless, it's a positive sign for the company as it prepares to launch the Xbox One this November, as recent pre-order figures suggested Sony's PlayStation 4 had the edge. Whether or not this has changed following Microsoft's new policies regarding connectivity and used games has yet to be revealed.

Goodtwin

Ummm, good job Microsoft, it only took a years head start and practically no software support for the Wii for the last two years for the 360 to beat the Wii.
:-c

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Ummm, good job Microsoft, it only took a years head start and practically no software support for the Wii for the last two years for the 360 to beat the Wii.
Well, that's the infuriating thing with Nintendo; they hung the Wii out to dry after 2010. Nintendo ceded this ground, and MS was able to take it. If you create a vacuum, someone will fill it.

Well, that's the infuriating thing with Nintendo; they hung the Wii out to dry after 2010. Nintendo ceded this ground, and MS was able to take it. If you create a vacuum, someone will fill it.
I find it funny how quickly Nintendo stops supporting their consoles though. They sustain it for like 3 minutes haha.
It comes at a benefit though. While Sony and Microsoft are busy collecting the years of money they missed out on, Nintendo focuses all its support on it's next generation platforms which is why 3DS currently has so many quality first party games and which is why Wii U is going to have them soon enough.

Ex-Actarus

There only what 50 million behind worldwide? Yeah good job

That's not the point.

The point is that 3 years ago this would have been UNTHINKABLE !

The Wii was so ridiculously ahead that passing the PS2 was just a matter of time.

Instead, the Wii sales dropped drastically while the 360 benefited from the Kinect effect.

I think the 360 will also pass the Wii in the US.

However I don't think the 360 will catch the 100 million Wii.

I think there are around 75 to 80 million 360 outhere.

I don't see the 360 sell 20 million units in the next 2 years.

I give 5 to 7 million more Wii in lifetime.

Aki

While there's a moderate gap of ~24M consoles between Wii and 360 worldwide, MS is doing pretty good considering that they're the newest of the three. In 5 home console iterations, Nintendo has sold ~266M consoles. In 3 home console iterations, Playstation has sold ~340M consoles. In 2 console iterations, Microsoft has sold ~102M consoles. On average per gen, Nintendo sells ~53M consoles, Sony sells ~113M consoles, and Microsoft sells ~52M consoles. Sony is clearly the leader with Microsoft not too far behind Nintendo. That's pretty good considering that they've only made two consoles. The gap between Sony and the rest is pretty astounding, though. If Nintendo played their cards right back in the '90's and early 2000's, they could have been in Sony's position.

Ex-Actarus

While there's a moderate gap of ~24M consoles between Wii and 360 worldwide, MS is doing pretty good considering that they're the newest of the three. In 5 home console iterations, Nintendo has sold ~266M consoles. In 3 home console iterations, Playstation has sold ~340M consoles. In 2 console iterations, Microsoft has sold ~102M consoles. On average per gen, Nintendo sells ~53M consoles, Sony sells ~113M consoles, and Microsoft sells ~52M consoles. Sony is clearly the leader with Microsoft not too far behind Nintendo. That's pretty good considering that they've only made two consoles. The gap between Sony and the rest is pretty astounding, though. If Nintendo played their cards right back in the '90's and early 2000's, they could have been in Sony's position.

Yes but everybody makes mistakes.

If Sony did not screw up the PS3 start, they could have sold more consoles than the PS2.