**Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Discussion**

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Ok I got my update done and I just need to make my hunter and Ill be ready to go. I think Im already gonna like this game, I enjoy the art, and it seems kinda quirky and I dig that stuff. Very much looking forward to hunt with y'all.
I'll be very interested to read your comments, Matt. Majico almost sold me on Tri back on Wii, but it's a lot of time to allocate to one game. You and I have a similar style in COD, though - really polish one class and get good with one weapon (no lie, I played at least 98% of the original Black Ops with the MP5K). If that translates into MH, where I can get adequately good with one particular weapon, and I don't need 250 hours to accomplish it (and not be a lodestone of suckitude for teammates), I may go back for it. In a few paychecks.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah I'll post for you no problem ET. And yeah I plan on being the "Bow man" that you want with you. So ill get you a good kinda review on it. And this is my first experience so they may be good to be fresh.

Now NFS I can tell will be my #1 game sinking alot of time into it. But MH3U I'm gonna put alot of time into anyhow.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I was blasting through every beast, dying only once on Barroth and I forget who else, using nothing but an upgraded starter armor set. I never carried more than 2 mega potions, relying instead only on the 3 first-aid kits from the quest themselves. I felt like I was missing some mysteries of how I used to play until I got to the first Lagiacrus quest, where everything clicked and I suddenly was playing super badass. In 10 minutes, I barely got hit at all and destroyed its horns, 2 claws, and cut off its tail, driving it away.
Then I got to the real Lagiacrus quest, and promptly got served (actually fooled around a lot, ended up not killing it in 50 minutes). It made me really angry and disappointed that I had to bring an extra three mega potions in order to keep fighting comfortably instead of being terrified with low health most of the time. It does feel great when you finally get your ass kicked hard, though. It's what the game is all about.
I may get a new armor set at this point. It's ridiculous to think I'll be fighting Rathalos with the upgraded starter set, though maybe I'll do it for the challenge.
By the way, one thing they really botched in this game, in my opinion, is the swimming controls. It used to be that there were two options for swimming: swim in the direction of the camera, or swim in a level plane and use Zr and Zl to descend and ascend while udnerwater. That second option was how I used to play, as it gave me the best control and reliability. They have now removed it entirely, forcing me to use the stupid camera to swim underwater. It's awful, and it makes underwater fights far more difficult than they should be. It's the one disappointing change about this game, and it hits very hard.

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Strangely enough, I never had a problem with Barroth in Tri when most people seem to, even though I'm prepared to get battered the first time I go up against any monster haha! Man, always take the time to carry max amount of mega potions and that sort of thing, especially online people get really annoyed if you die :p Yeah, Rathalos is where things really change, anyone who hasn't digged around for those armour materials by then really should. Yeah, fighting nude (no armour) is good for a challenge, but I like to wear armour and just refuse to get more than a little bit of damage, that way if I succeed I've still proved to myself that I can do it, but if I'm not up to it I still won't get my reward completely wiped (though usually I'll still have the armour skills if I do this, so it doesn't really count, but shush :p)
Yeah, I noticed in the demo that the swim controls were different. The straight up and straight down controls were good in Tri, the down was good for mining off the seafloor and up was good for dodging that attack or getting an emergency breath of air. Is there no way to reconfigure the controls so that you can still do this? It seems weird to scrap that all together :/ I suppose we'll get used to it, but... it seems odd to downgrade the controls.

Aki

Are the controls still screwed with the ccp?
Even though I have the 3DS version I still haven't played it. I'm waiting for the international release so that we can finally get the app to transfer our data between the two. Now that I think about it, even when I do play the 3DS version I still won't be able to answer that since I don't have an XL CPP

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
Ok I got my update done and I just need to make my hunter and Ill be ready to go. I think Im already gonna like this game, I enjoy the art, and it seems kinda quirky and I dig that stuff. Very much looking forward to hunt with y'all.

I'll be very interested to read your comments, Matt. Majico almost sold me on Tri back on Wii, but it's a lot of time to allocate to one game. You and I have a similar style in COD, though - really polish one class and get good with one weapon (no lie, I played at least 98% of the original Black Ops with the MP5K). If that translates into MH, where I can get adequately good with one particular weapon, and I don't need 250 hours to accomplish it (and not be a lodestone of suckitude for teammates), I may go back for it. In a few paychecks.

Join us. Join ussssssssssssssss.

You can put as much or as little time into it as you want. If you're afraid of wanting to put 250+ hours into the game, well, that's a legitimate concern. It is awesome distilled after all. But you can absolutely concentrate on one weapon (the type of weapon one chooses is as close to a "class" as the game has). How much time does it take to master the game with a given weapon? I imagine that would vary widely depending on the player and the quality of their learning/training. But basic competency shouldn't take anywhere near 250 hours (something has gone terribly wrong if it does). The game has a boat load of mechanics to get the hang of, but not all are necessary, some are just useful for mastery. There is also the fact that it isn't only about learning your weapon, but learning it against specific monsters and situations.

Yeah I'll post for you no problem ET. And yeah I plan on being the "Bow man" that you want with you. So ill get you a good kinda review on it. And this is my first experience so they may be good to be fresh.

Now NFS I can tell will be my #1 game sinking alot of time into it. But MH3U I'm gonna put alot of time into anyhow.
I'm playing through the character I started on 3DS with Bows, and I can confirm they are amazing.

I was blasting through every beast, dying only once on Barroth and I forget who else, using nothing but an upgraded starter armor set. I never carried more than 2 mega potions, relying instead only on the 3 first-aid kits from the quest themselves. I felt like I was missing some mysteries of how I used to play until I got to the first Lagiacrus quest, where everything clicked and I suddenly was playing super badass. In 10 minutes, I barely got hit at all and destroyed its horns, 2 claws, and cut off its tail, driving it away.
Then I got to the real Lagiacrus quest, and promptly got served (actually fooled around a lot, ended up not killing it in 50 minutes). It made me really angry and disappointed that I had to bring an extra three mega potions in order to keep fighting comfortably instead of being terrified with low health most of the time. It does feel great when you finally get your ass kicked hard, though. It's what the game is all about.
I may get a new armor set at this point. It's ridiculous to think I'll be fighting Rathalos with the upgraded starter set, though maybe I'll do it for the challenge.
I haven't gotten that far yet (I wish I could take a week off and do nothing but play this), but I'm most of the way through the level 3 quests and the starting gear is holding up just fine (although it's really only the first tier of real monsters still). I got a bit cocky and my first faint happened embarassingly on a Qurupeco (it paid dearly for that). I was messing around not taking him seriously, and that's when it decided to unveil the new move Capcom equipped it with. It's basically a gunlance full clip discharge from its wing flints. Did not expect that, serves me right, lol. Great to see the monsters have a few new tricks here and there, and also some of the weapon rebalancing is nice (ie longsword).

I also love the little things they've done to streamline the game. Kelbi's automatically get knocked out for easier horn carves (and are only one carve), there's a "back to village" option on the menu when free hunting in Moga woods, on the 3DS it looks like I can access multiplayer Tanzia port from Moga without having to exit the game, nullberries instead of a pile of blight specific berries - I've been noticing dozens of little things like this that are making this a much better version in more ways than simply having vastly more content.

EDIT: The 3DS version of this game is really great. I can't believe the little handheld can handle it (although I have had a couple slow downs in Moga village post-quest, the fights themselves have been smooth as butter so far, even with a half dozen Wroggi spitting poison clouds everywhere on poor Cha-Cha). That said, XL is the way to go here, and the circle pad pro XL attachment is more or less essential. The extra analogue stick is necessary to not hate the underwater fighting and makes everything better.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm excited about the bow Repo. As a novice player running with vets my natural reaction is to "stay away and don't cause the main guys to lose". That being said I'm still excited to be a bow man. I will get into it this weekend. And as soon as you get your WiiU let me know.

i dont know if this game is easier or its just that i know what i am doing this time around.
i am getting to were my equipment is holding me back though. need to start farming.

Can someone give me some tips about what the hell I'm supposed to do in this demo. The game just drops me in a field with absolutely no explanation as to what's happening or what I'm supposed to do, I spend ages whaling on some giant rabbit looking thing who seemed to be getting weaker but I'm not sure and then I run out of time. :(

repomech

Can someone give me some tips about what the hell I'm supposed to do in this demo. The game just drops me in a field with absolutely no explanation as to what's happening or what I'm supposed to do, I spend ages whaling on some giant rabbit looking thing who seemed to be getting weaker but I'm not sure and then I run out of time. :(

What weapon are you using?

In general the place where you start is your hunting camp - the monster will never come here. You will notice a blue box. It contains additional quest supplies. Not all of them will be useful as it depends on your weapon class (and some items are just a distraction for what you will be doing in the demo, ie the bug net), but you do want to take the healing items and rations and bombs etc.

You will notice a mini-map. Your character is represented by an arrow (it points the direction you face). The monster is at first a pale blue icon and then once it becomes aggravated by your presence it becomes a red icon. There is a soft pinkish-beige radius surrounding the icon. This tells you where the monster is on the map so that you may head directly towards it and track it from area to area (in the actual game this feature is only present if you have a specific skill equipped through your armor).

Now, for controls on the 3DS pressing the home button freezes the game but it also pulls up a choice to access the manual. I assume it is similar on the WiiU. In there you will find the basic controls for all the weapons and item handling (this is IMO the demo's biggest flaw, why would you hide this crucial information from beginners in this way?).

Your objective in this scenario is quite simple. You have 20 minutes to kill the monster (sounds like you're fighting the Lagombi). I can give weapon specific tips if you'd like, just let me know which weapon you're interested in. If you're looking for advice on which weapons to try maybe keep it simple the first couple times: try the sword and shield, hammer, lance or great sword. These weapons have their nuances but you won't be worrying about secondary mechanics such as ammo, notes/songs, phials, charge gauges etc. But really, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, you should play around and find one you like. There's also a lot of online tutorials for different weapons.

EDIT: in general watch and learn the monster's behaviour, it has a series of moves it can carry out but will not do so in a predictable pattern. It can also become enraged, exhausted and eventually worn down to a very injured state. This will impact what it can do and how effectively. You want to be choosing safe(r) moments and positions/angles of attack, this game is no button masher.

OK. So I killed the rabbit thing on my second attempt but I still don't really understand what I'm doing. :( Any advice would be very welcome.

I just noticed you post now Repo and I'm reading it. Thanks. :)

repomech

OK. So I killed the rabbit thing on my second attempt but I still don't really understand what I'm doing. :( Any advice would be very welcome.

My pleasure, I'll check back shortly.

In general the demo is too out of context. It's designed to give you a controlled slice of combat, but I don't think there's enough for people new to the series to be oriented.

What weapon are you using?

In general the place where you start is your hunting camp - the monster will never come here. You will notice a blue box. It contains additional quest supplies. Not all of them will be useful as it depends on your weapon class (and some items are just a distraction for what you will be doing in the demo, ie the bug net), but you do want to take the healing items and rations and bombs etc.

You will notice a mini-map. Your character is represented by an arrow (that points the direction you face). The monster is at first a pale blue icon and then once it becomes aggravated by your presence it becomes a red icon. There is a soft pinkish-beige radius surrounding the icon. This tells you where the monster is on the map so that you may head directly towards it and track it from area to area (in the actual game this feature is only present if you have a specific skill equipped through your armor).

Now, for controls on the 3DS pressing the home button freezes the game but it also pulls up a choice to access the manual. I assume it is similar on the WiiU. In there you will find the basic controls for all the weapons and item handling (this is IMO the demo's biggest flaw, why would you hide this crucial information from beginners in this way?).

Your objective in this scenario is quite simple. You have 20 minutes to kill the monster (sounds like you're fighting the Lagombi). I can give weapon specific tips if you'd like, just let me know which weapon you're interested in. If you're looking for advice on which weapons to try maybe keep it simple the first couple times: try the sword and shield, hammer, lance or great sword. These weapons have their nuances but you won't be worrying about secondary mechanics such as ammo, notes/songs, phials, charge gauges etc. But really, they all have their strengths and weaknesses, you should play around and find one you like. There's also a lot of online tutorials for different weapons.

I was using duel blades.

I'm not sure if you've played the demo but it started in a field with seven different areas and the rabbit was in there. I'd forgotten all about the manual so that should help a bit at least. I find it hard to know what to think of this game from the demo so far...

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
I just spent like 30 min writing a detailed comparison of the differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions of MH3U only to get an error and not be able to post it.... Sorry guys, I tried.... #-o

repomech

I was using duel blades.
I'm not sure if you've played the demo but it started in a field with seven different areas and the rabbit was in there. I'd forgotten all about the manual so that should help a bit at least. I find it hard to know what to think of this game from the demo so far...

As far as I have heard the 3DS and WiiU demos are identical.

Duel blades is a solid option. The charge gauge on the weapon is pretty straightforward. When the weapon is drawn, right shoulder button triggers the demon mode (indicated by the glow on the weapons), the charge gauge (short bar in the top left of the screen, different and smaller than your green health bar and yellow stamina bar) will fill with each hit in demon mode until the gauge is full (if you are hit however you will be knocked out of demon mode, but your gauge will only decline slowly, you can re-enter the mode immediately upon regaining control of your hunter provided you have enough stamina) - at that time you will enter, can't recall the name demon dance or something to that effect. Basically you will be able to chain faster more damaging combos and your stamina bar will act as the countdown on this mode diminishing at a steady rate. You can extend your stamina gauge from its starting point to max beyond the length of the health bar by eating two rations or one well done steak (stamina bars deplete over time). If you take the dash juice (yellow jar in your inventory) that will temporarily stop your stamina from depleting.

In terms of getting a feel for the game itself the demo is too narrow as I mentioned. Not only is it inadequately explained but you don't get a proper introduction to the world and all the quirky charming characters people have been mentioning above (for example who your combat companions are), many mechanics and customizable options have been removed to simplify and streamline the experience and all the loot and goal driven goodness that is so integral to the sense of satisfaction and progression is absent.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I just spent like 30 min writing a detailed comparison of the differences between the 3DS and WiiU versions of MH3U only to get an error and not be able to post it.... Sorry guys, I tried.... #-o
Ouch that sucks. If its something that can be fixed possibly you can PM Menashe he's wants to here things such as this LSB.

repomech

Isn't that the worst? So there are differences? Besides having to use the awful digital dpad in the 3DS version that is (fortunately the full game supports the circle pad pro).

Damn, that sucks. :(

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
It's cool guys, someone will probably beat me to posting impressions now.... No big whup.... But yes there are differences, even if they are very sutle, some actually effect gameplay, like the framerate being a bit better on the 3DS version. It pretty much runs at a constant 60 fps....

I talked a bit about the Wii U to 3DS coop connectivity and how me and my girl were not only able to play together locally, but online as well....

I'm so obsessed with this game right now that I keep putting off my packing duties and I'm supposed to move Sunday! Hence why I don't really have the time to rewrite my comparisons....

Just know they are subtle and that owning both versions can have advantages if you have friends or other people in your household that may want to try out MH and play with you....

Now back to more MH3U.... Eeerrr, I mean packing my stuff....

repomech

I just realized you were talking about the game, not the demo per say. Yes there are differences between the two games (chiefly that the 3DS version does not feature online multiplayer - at least not without an adapter and WiiU). The demo was the same two missions with the same equipment though for both the 3DS and WiiU, at least as far as I understand.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Oh don't worry it is the same experience on 3DS, and may be even better in some ways than the Wii U version....

I think they both compliment each other very nicely....

I have a Vita and cross buy and play games like Playstation All Stars, and while Nintendo still has a long way to go to reach that level of console to portable compatibility and functionality, MH3U is definitely a step in the right direction....

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I also forgot to mention, it seems this game did receive a few graphical upgrades besides the higher render resolution. Some textures seem more defined, such as some in the Sandy plains and in the more important monsters like Rathian and Lagiacrus. There are also high resolution shadows, so that character and monster shadows are "realistic" against the ground (except when monsters are flying, since you want to be able to follow the circular shadow to whichever area they flee to). It also seems like some colors got retouched, because the Sandy Plains look much more appealing to me this time around.

Other than that, everything seems to be the same.

Ah yeah, the demo is tough. If you manage to kill one of the monster in the demo, that means you are perfectly ok to go on the main hunts in the game. The Lagombi and the Plesioth are no pushovers, I'll tell you that. Even the Monster Hunter Tri demo had you fighting the Great Jaggi and Qurupeco, who were far weaker than the Lagombi and Plesioth.

Anyway, what you gotta do is pick a weapon you feel comfortable with, try out all the moves so you know which attack does what, then go at the monster. You have to learn their patterns, so that you learn to recognize when it's going to do which attacks, and where to position yourself to best dodge them (or block them, if you have a shield). You really just gotta keep wailing at it. You can tell how much you're hurting a monster by how it reacts to you. If you are doing a lot of damage quickly to a monster, it will go into rage mode (starts breathing heavily, moving faster and doing more attacks). They also get tired after using so many moves (so after being enraged a couple of times), during which you can hurt them more. Another easy way to tell if you're hurting a monster is by attacking specific parts of its body (the Lagombi's ears, for example, will shatter after you damage his head for a while). Eventually, they will limp, which means they are close to dying.

As for general preparation, you should just know your main items: potions, whetstones, and meat. Potions heal you, whetstones sharpen your weapon, and meat increases your stamina bar. It important to keep these items handy so you cans tay in top shape when fighting.

EthanGK

It comes out tomorrow here and hopefully tomorrow I'll get it and have time to play :) I've got a week off coming up, in which time I'll have some study to do, but I should also have some time to practice (I managed to beat both the monsters in the demo, but it still felt like I was rusty) and then when the online gets updated maybe I'll be able to hunt with you guys a bit. :)

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Yeah they definitely redid some of the textures and made the colors more vibrant.... It looks much better than Tri, even though they didn't add any polys to the creature or character models....

EthanGK

Yeah I heard that the shadows were real shadows now and not just shapeless dark blobs, and I noticed that the demo looked a lot better than Tri :)

running_in_jam

Videogame Sound Designer and Composer
@EthanGK I too will be reveling in the joy of MH this time tomorrow. Can't wait! Regarding the framerate, I get some insane framerates in some areas of the demo. It's scarily smooth.

Aki

It's similar to hunting in real life. Basically, you equip yourself and then you go and hunt monsters. You need to track them to learn their movements and attacks. You also have to learn how to use the battle system in this game. It's really complex and it seems hard to grasp at first, but once you start playing it, you'll get better and more accustomed to it.

That giant rabbit runs away to other locations until you defeat it. This game is about investing much time in finding, gathering, traveling, and slow progression. Little by little, you get sucked into another universe. If you think it's just about finding a weapon a killing a boss, this game isn't for you.

EthanGK

@EthanGK I too will be reveling in the joy of MH this time tomorrow. Can't wait! Regarding the framerate, I get some insane framerates in some areas of the demo. It's scarily smooth.
Providing my schedule for assignment work works out OK, me too :D

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Ah, it seems most people will be in possesion of the game by tomorrow. That's as good a time as any for me to finally jump online, especially since it's the weekend.
I've spent all this time just rushing through the single player missions, trying only to get better weapons but not armor. Now that I get to grind with everyone here I get to take time to make the armor sets, decorations, stock up on valuable items, etc.

I forgot how to charge with the lance and several other moves, so the demo was frustrating until I figured that out. That Lagombi is my bitch now.
Still going to goof around with the demo until Target gets their shit together.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Yeah is there going to be some appointed time when everyone starts playing together? Like an announcement?

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! *coughs* The time has come to jumpeth online and hunteth thine monsters! Gather Ye So Tasty Well Done Steaks and bringth thine best GREAT SWORD!

Eeerrr....

I mean, when is everyone going to start playing online....?

EDIT!!!! The 3DS MH3U Transfer Data App is availible now in the 3DS eShop!!!! FINALLY!!!!

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yeah is there going to be some appointed time when everyone starts playing together? Like an announcement?

Hear Ye! Hear Ye! *coughs* The time has come to jumpeth online and hunteth thine monsters! Gather Ye So Tasty Well Done Steaks and bringth thine best GREAT SWORD!

Eeerrr....

I mean, when is everyone going to start playing online....?

EDIT!!!! The 3DS MH3U Transfer Data App is availible now in the 3DS eShop!!!! FINALLY!!!!
I think I may start tomorrow! I'll check my friends list and add those that I haven't added yet, hopefully we all start going online.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
Coolio.... I am looking forward to getting my hunt on with the NE crew....

On a side note I had to delete my MH3U on my 3DS and redownload it to transfer my Wii U data....

Apparently starting a seperate character was counter productive to the transfer process....

Either that or I'm just dumb and couldn't figure out another way to delete my 3DS save....

EDIT: I may have been wrong about that constant 60 frames on the 3DS version as since I have uploaded up Wii U hunter to my 3DS there have been dips in the framerate.... Nothing big, but I think I was wrong about that none the less....

repomech

A heads up about charm tables for those starting characters.

Not a fan of having different charm tables set in stone at the point of character creation, but the fact that 3 or 4 of them have a bug that limits the total number of charms generated (so-called "cursed tables") absolutely needs to be patched.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Ouch, so that's what that meant. That sounds awful. Hopefully I didn't land one of those, because I'm not willing to start all over.

TheAmazingLSB

PLEASE UNDERSTAND....
If it hasn't been said already there will be Gamepad screen functionality added through an update in April....

Now I don't have to buy that 3DSXL and import the CCPXL from Japan....

Damn.... =((

That giant rabbit runs away to other locations until you defeat it. This game is about investing much time in finding, gathering, traveling, and slow progression. Little by little, you get sucked into another universe. If you think it's just about finding a weapon a killing a boss, this game isn't for you.

If it hasn't been said already there will be Gamepad screen functionality added through an update in April....

Now I don't have to buy that 3DSXL and import the CCPXL from Japan....

Damn.... =((
Just pretend you didn't know... ;)

lol'd

EthanGK

Not a fan of having different charm tables set in stone at the point of character creation, but the fact that 3 or 4 of them have a bug that limits the total number of charms generated (so-called "cursed tables") absolutely needs to be patched.
Yeah, I'd heard about this, I'm trying to decide whether to do this or let luck do its thing. Either way, it could be a few hours or a few days before I get to play this game, well soon see :D So excited!

repomech

Yeah, I'd heard about this, I'm trying to decide whether to do this or let luck do its thing. Either way, it could be a few hours or a few days before I get to play this game, well soon see :D So excited!
I'd personally be fine letting luck run its course if it weren't for the fact that a handful are buggy, as in they are not generating the charm combinations they are supposed to be. Armor skills are too crucial to the experience to get 100 hours in and find out you got the short end from a flaw. I don't have to have the best, but I do want a functioning charm table.

EthanGK

Yeah, I'll probably try for table 10 because there's a decent amount of time to get to the screen and it seems to be a good all-rounder and an especially good blademaster set. I might have this game within two hours if all goes according to plan!

EthanGK

Home with my new baby, now just to wait for the update and then I'll try for the charms table, I'll probably screw it up though xD