Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Odo

So, MH4U is coming. Only for 3DS and probably it'll never be on Wii U.

MH4U will have online gameplay, it's the first time on 3DS

Who's excited about it?

Here's a interview with Capcom about MH4U on Nintendo World, the Nintendo Brazilian official magazine. In this magazine's article (not in this interview that is part of the full article) they affirmed that Capcom now believes MH is better suited for hand-held experience what makes us think that we'll never see MH again on the big screen. Do you believe so? Or do you think that the actual reason is that Wii U is not selling enough for them?

I'm not really into MH on Wii U, but I've played some hours on Wii and what I saw is that MH is quite time consuming. Many monsters require 30-40 minutes to beat. So do you think it's better suited on hand-held?

Interview with my highlights. My comments in brackets.

Monster Hunter is nowadays one of the most popular franchises of Japan. Don't you think it's complicated to add new elements to its formula?
Yes, ... but, we've got to keep thinking about new features that keep MH ahead. However, if one comes out with an interesting idea that makes the multiplayer experience elements worse, we don't follow it.

How did Japanese fans react to the new jump mechanic?
Firstly there was some resistance. Players thought that jumps would change what they knew as Monster Hunter and that it would be hard to execute during huntings. The good thing is that once MH4U was released everyone could try them out and they understood that it was a necessary upgrade.

MH4U doesn't have subaquatic combats. Why?
We totally focused on better gameplay elements. Which are ground action and the new ways of interaction with that universe. Submarine combat was interesting in MHT, but it'd compete with new features.

As submarine huntings, do you intend to make jumping only for MH4U or you're going to keep it on next instalments?
We don't know. We don't have nothing planned. The truth is we're always hearing players' opinions. We model MH experience based on that.

MH is one of the greatest phenomenons of the last decade in Japan. However, this series haven't caught on in the West? Why haven't so?
There'll always be differences among players' taste. A lot of things Westerners ask we can't execute perfectly for now [Like what?]. We believe that Multiplayer online on 3DS and the target system will make all the difference. Before that we had in mind something that works only in our country where everything is small, people stay on public transport for hours and hang out in common areas. [It's the usual Nintendo/Japanese way of thinking] In the West, it's more reasonable people playing online, that's why we did big changes in this feature [They talk like MH for Wii U doesn't exist].

What also changed a lot was the narrative. The new game has much more story than predecessors.
Until then, when you defeated a monster a short cut-scene came up and we got back to action. What we did now was something more subtle. Everything happens in real time, including the character that shows on subsequent scenes of a combat.

What else might cause more impact among Brazilian fans?
The verticality. Instead of only worrying about what is before you, all the scenery will be a big challenge. Monsters will come up from a mountain or under the player, making him search new ways of positioning. Due to that, we assured that moving through scenery is simpler as ever. Instead of press a button to climb a mountain, you just need to head to it running.

People say MH is one of the most hard franchises for beginners. Is there any plan to make it more friendly?
Yes, this game has a lot of things that makes it easy for beginners understand MH. The online mode is going to have a important role, because you can have someone that knows how to do the things on your side helping you. It provides a better experience and it's good for both parties, because it's easier to face danger with more people and it increases the rewards you get. I believe MH community will go up a lot with that and this exchange of knowledge is going to help whoever gets lost on their first huntings. [Again it seems like they here ignore MH for Wii U]

Finishing, what do you like most in MH?
A combat, character, well... Kirin is my most favorite creature in MH4, but the Poogies [laughs]... I appreciate how the little pigs are present in all the games. They're funny, they help me relaxing... It's silly, but I really like it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Nice interview, nice comments.

Monster Hunter 4 looked amazing already, but this being 4 Ultimate, I can't even comprehend the amounts of ass it's going to kick. Even if it won't be on Wii U, and even if others from TNE won't get it because of that, it's one of my most anticipated games.

Odo

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting it. The thing is, I love my Wii U, but even with gamepad, the experience of playing hand-held is priceless. I hope Nintendo never, ever, abandon hand-held business.

And now we got Smash as well. :)

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
Yeah, I'm thinking about getting it. The thing is, I love my Wii U, but even with gamepad, the experience of playing hand-held is priceless. I hope Nintendo never, ever, abandon hand-held business.

And now we got Smash as well. :)
Given the nature of how the Wii U was designed, and with all the Off-TV play games out there, Nintendo full-on plans to stick with handhelds for the forseeable future. The best thing for Nintendo to do is continue makign games for the Wii U take utilize the Gamepad, but then also give players the option for conventional controls as well, which would allow Off-TV play.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
TBH, I have my worries about changing the level geometry. MH3U has the topography of Keira Knightley - gentle slopes, but truly beautiful. Because the land is relatively flat, you can usually dodge your way out of trouble, or simply run away. Things could get a little hairy if the level layout changes in a way that gives you a ledge to climb up where you would normally have room to dodge (unless climbing/jumping is really fluid). Of course, this is MH, so Capcom knows what they're doing; I trust them to incorporate this well. But I do wonder.

Cubits

Hey, they made underwater combat which doesn't entirely suck (although it sucked less in tri, but that's the 3ds' fault). They'll do alright with verticality.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Underwater combat was great in MHTri, really don't know how Capcom could drop the ball on that with 3U.

I'm really excited for the verticality of MH4 and 4U. I love jumping and climbing and that sort of stuff in action games, and I think pairing it with awesome monster AI (and basically making an appropriate, flying-Deviljho of a monster) is going to make it even more awesome.

Cubits

The cross play with the 3ds is what killed the underwater movement, no z buttons for up/down.

Good to see that's not going to be a problem going forward with the new.

Cubits

I only ever used the wiimote for a bit of bashing around in arena mode. It was pretty neat how you could transfer characters in the wiimote, but the pro controller was way better for play.

Odo

I only ever used the wiimote for a bit of bashing around in arena mode. It was pretty neat how you could transfer characters in the wiimote, but the pro controller was way better for play.
Indeed. I got my Wii MHTri with black pro controler. Great way to play.

simplyTravis

Lamer Gamers Podcast Co-Host
I hate games like this only coming to handhelds first. I will only end up getting this when it hits the Wii U. I just don't like squinting at a screen for hours on end when I could have a more comfortable setting.

We need a Super 3DS (think super gameboy), stat! I want that on tv-screen goodness!

Koenig

The Architect
I hate games like this only coming to handhelds first. I will only end up getting this when it hits the Wii U. I just don't like squinting at a screen for hours on end when I could have a more comfortable setting.

We need a Super 3DS (think super gameboy), stat! I want that on tv-screen goodness!
I am sorely disappointed that Nintendo has not capitalized on that. The wii U is practically built for DS/3DS games, why not release a peripheral to play them on it? (Though my crushed dreams had hoped it would be a feature built in)

Odo

Unfortunately, I can't see MH4 hitting U :(

needs more WiiU...

Capcom stated that the WiiU version did well, and is still selling well. Why not port it and get more sales? Come on CAPCOM. DO IT! I want to play it on the big screen!

Last edited:

repomech

resident remnant robot relic
@Laer_HeiSeiRyuu nailed it.

We only think of the Wii U version of MH3U as being launched concurrently with the 3DS version because the 3DS version was localized internationally so late (well over a year after release in Japan). So for us they lined up. But for Japan the Wii U version came out a year later, and was only announced a few months before release (if memory serves correct). It's also likely this is not the definitive gen 4 iteration of Monster Hunter (which is crazy because it's the biggest MH ever, bigger than MH3U, even bigger than Freedom Unite). So a Wii U version of gen 4 Monster Hunter is still very much in the cards for either this or a subsequent edition.

I am very stoked for this game. I expect to see the demo some time in February since Capcom stated they will release that about a month before the game releases.

I am also hoping for a Wii U version because I prefer playing it on the big screen. I'll shamelessly buy both at launch! :D

I am hoping they bring this beauty over to us
(it is a NEW 3DS LX model):

Shoulder

MH4U is probably going to be THE game that'll force my hand into getting a New 3DS.

Now speaking of all this, I hope to God MH4U has voice chat.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
MH4U is probably going to be THE game that'll force my hand into getting a New 3DS.

Now speaking of all this, I hope to God MH4U has voice chat.
I think it's already confirmed that it won't have any voice chat of any kind. At least the Japanese version doesn't. Unless we eventually get a Wii U version, we shouldn't count on it.

EvilTw1n

96 monsters.

There goes all of my free time in 2015.
I think it's already confirmed that it won't have any voice chat of any kind. At least the Japanese version doesn't. Unless we eventually get a Wii U version, we shouldn't count on it.
Yep.
http://www.capcom-unity.com/monster_hunter/go/thread/view/146585/30187321/monster-hunter-4-online
Does any 3DS game have voice chat, though? I mean, there's an app that lets you chat, but that's about all I've heard of.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/1...pp-for-nintendo-3ds-and-its-coming-this-week/

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

I heard the DS Advance Wars: Days or Ruin supported voice chat. Pokemon X/Y support it with friends also. I was a little surprised when I discovered that one because it just started working and a friend started talking to me. Though my phone had pocket dialed someone.

It is possible and I wouldn't be surprised if they added it to the Western release because of the difference in markets (more spread out). I would venture to guess it will be a NEW3DS exclusive feature because of the added resource needs.

Shoulder

Honest question: Does voice chat cause lag to develop in online games? I ask because I don't seem to experience it at all when we've played MH3U, NFS, COD, or what other games that have it. Is it merely a cop-out reason?

But then here's another question: If VC in fact does create lag (one of the reasons Smash Bros doesn't have voice chat, according to Nintendo) how much of an effect does it cause to hinder the experience?

As @Stratos said, maybe voice chat will be included, but only for the New 3DS due to technical limitations or something. But I just can't help but think that voice chat is not tha intensive of a resource, and in this day and age, it should be included with every online game. Doesn't mean you have to use it, but at least provide it as an option for those who want to use it.

EvilTw1n

Honest question: Does voice chat cause lag to develop in online games? I ask because I don't seem to experience it at all when we've played MH3U, NFS, COD, or what other games that have it. Is it merely a cop-out reason?

But then here's another question: If VC in fact does create lag (one of the reasons Smash Bros doesn't have voice chat, according to Nintendo) how much of an effect does it cause to hinder the experience?

As @Stratos said, maybe voice chat will be included, but only for the New 3DS due to technical limitations or something. But I just can't help but think that voice chat is not tha intensive of a resource, and in this day and age, it should be included with every online game. Doesn't mean you have to use it, but at least provide it as an option for those who want to use it.
It's something that certainly has to be accounted for, because in essence it's VoIP. Now that I think on it, Prime: Hunters had lobby-only chat, didn't it? But anywho, it's adding something else for the CPU to account for and adding more data to stream over a connection. Whether it's a significant enough data load to cause significant lag is beyond me; I'm not smart enough to answer beyond that, tbh. It's possible that it's just not a priority for Capcom, the way in-game chat isn't a priority for Nintendo.

Nintendo could also be blocking devs from implementing it because of the kid-centric market of their handhelds. They may have a line drawn where they bar voice chat. It seems that it is blocked when the matches are actually happening, which is when players are more likely to "say a swear" if they are cut off or toasted at the wrong moment.

And going back to the bandwidth issues, Nintendo does everything differently, even network infrastructure. They are also known to be terrible in some parts of the architecture and design process for modern gaming (Brawl online, Wii OS version disaster). I wouldn't be surprised if their network for the 3DS is physically incapable of doing both VoIP and active gameplay. All of the 3/DS games I can think of with chat restrict it to the match lobbies.

I didnt add anything to the convo. Hey, how do charms work in this game? More fair or will I have to scum the time to suit my needs and get on a not-shit charm table? I feel like I'll probably get the game as soon as this is figured out. And maybe after New 3DS is launched.

Shoulder

Nintendo could also be blocking devs from implementing it because of the kid-centric market of their handhelds. They may have a line drawn where they bar voice chat. It seems that it is blocked when the matches are actually happening, which is when players are more likely to "say a swear" if they are cut off or toasted at the wrong moment.

And going back to the bandwidth issues, Nintendo does everything differently, even network infrastructure. They are also known to be terrible in some parts of the architecture and design process for modern gaming (Brawl online, Wii OS version disaster). I wouldn't be surprised if their network for the 3DS is physically incapable of doing both VoIP and active gameplay. All of the 3/DS games I can think of with chat restrict it to the match lobbies.
The only problem with your possibility is there are lots of games for the Wii U that have full-on voice chat, so I don't think blocking it from devs is the issue here. The whole VoIP thing could be it, although I am not too familiar with how that all works.

It is possible it's entirely technical related, but for the Wii U, there almost shouldn't be an issue there.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I didnt add anything to the convo. Hey, how do charms work in this game? More fair or will I have to scum the time to suit my needs and get on a not-shit charm table? I feel like I'll probably get the game as soon as this is figured out. And maybe after New 3DS is launched.
I'm hoping that this isn't even a thing anymore.

Laer_HeiSeiRyuu

The only problem with your possibility is there are lots of games for the Wii U that have full-on voice chat, so I don't think blocking it from devs is the issue here. The whole VoIP thing could be it, although I am not too familiar with how that all works.

It is possible it's entirely technical related, but for the Wii U, there almost shouldn't be an issue there.
See the thing is Voice chat isnt game specific on the other platforms. From the get go Microsoft put in Cross game chat and locked off the amount of CPU data from developers. Ergo its power that isnt accounted for when designing a game on their platform. On nintendo's platforms developers have to make an active choice. Voice chat with added latency? Or better performance?

Voice chat adds to the latency a game already has. MH3U works fine with it because it has good netcode ( and the game also has a ton of delayed animations for inputs, if it didnt you'd see warping and ghosting everywhere. Its a bit like a fighting game and more akin to how shooters handle their netcode mixed with capcom's fighting game know how.

I'm hoping that this isn't even a thing anymore.
The charm table issues in 3U were due to an error actually. Each time you load a character you were given a random table which generated your charms. The glitch locked it permanently to a single table for the life of a character because they mis-programmed where the table roll goes in the code.

In 4U each time you load a character you tab a random table. Also, there are so many charms in this game that no table can be considered cursed, just "less better".

Additionally, there is a merchant where you can combine charms to create new, random charms based on the stats of the charms you put into the alchemy pot. It could become a whole new, and more interesting sub-game which will be much less grind-y than charm sniping was in 3U.

Voice chat adds to the latency a game already has. MH3U works fine with it because it has good netcode ( and the game also has a ton of delayed animations for inputs, if it didnt you'd see warping and ghosting everywhere. Its a bit like a fighting game and more akin to how shooters handle their netcode mixed with capcom's fighting game know how.
You can still see ghosting if you have a shoddy connection like I did yesterday. The advantage of Monster Hunter is how they designed the mobs and resources. Each player has a different "instance" and populates the mobs and resources locally. Only player and boss monster stats/positions are calculated over the network. That is why the little monsters are in different locations and I can strike a shadow from your point of view the Jaggi over next to you drops dead. This makes the online resource drain much less intensive.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
The charm table issues in 3U were due to an error actually. Each time you load a character you were given a random table which generated your charms. The glitch locked it permanently to a single table for the life of a character because they mis-programmed where the table roll goes in the code.

In 4U each time you load a character you tab a random table. Also, there are so many charms in this game that no table can be considered cursed, just "less better".

Additionally, there is a merchant where you can combine charms to create new, random charms based on the stats of the charms you put into the alchemy pot. It could become a whole new, and more interesting sub-game which will be much less grind-y than charm sniping was in 3U.
Thanks for all this great info. Good to know Capcom is doing it right with MH4U.

You can still see ghosting if you have a shoddy connection like I did yesterday. The advantage of Monster Hunter is how they designed the mobs and resources. Each player has a different "instance" and populates the mobs and resources locally. Only player and boss monster stats/positions are calculated over the network. That is why the little monsters are in different locations and I can strike a shadow from your point of view the Jaggi over next to you drops dead. This makes the online resource drain much less intensive.
you just fucking sold me on this game. I need cash now!

I lurk the Monster Hunter sub-reddit and have picked up a lot of cool info about the game from there. I am beyond stoked about this game as it seems to address most general complaints outside of the ones people not fond of the entire game pick about (character movement and attacks, complicated mechanics, slow start and grindy nature for loot gathering). Unless it is just a staple for how the game functions it has been improved beyond expectations.

If this game does not grow the fanbase in the West then Nintendo should give up partnering with Capcom. It will create new fans.

EvilTw1n

If this game does not grow the fanbase in the West then Nintendo should give up partnering with Capcom. It will create new fans.
We've talked about this through quite a few hunts. This could (perhaps should) be the sort of game Nintendo puts its marketing muscle behind.

...and also puts on a home console, because that's how a lot of us Westerners like to hunt. MH3U made me a fan.

Shoulder

We've talked about this through quite a few hunts. This could (perhaps should) be the sort of game Nintendo puts its marketing muscle behind.

...and also puts on a home console, because that's how a lot of us Westerners like to hunt. MH3U made me a fan.
Same. Some people prefer World of Warcraft, we hunt monsters and carve up their carcasses for weapons, armor, and items. Barbarians, we are. :msrs: