Monster Hunter World

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Bingo. Its just logic I'm riding high on, but then again Capcom remains one of the most braindead companies around right now.
are your eady to jump on my theory that Capcom and Konami are in a competition with eachother to do the dumbest things while still remaining afloat? A sort of game of chicken between Billionaire owners for their own amusement.

Koenig

The Architect
Well, XX is basically just an expanded version of Generations, so the game is likely already translated anyway. It's Capcom being Crapcom right now.
the 3DS version likely, but I suspect that the Switch version does not even have the majority of English characters or fonts prepared in the code; I remember reading that the majority of the UI was "Overhauled" (Even though it has the same design) so that it could upscale to a higher resolution since it was no longer confined to the 3DS's low pixel count.

Either way, It is still Capcom being Capcom.

Odo

From a business perspective, I'd say that localising MHXX, after the series have jumped to the new generation, would be stupid. I don't see MHXX selling enough in the west. Capcom has already a big MH new generation game for the west in the biggest marketplace: MHW for PS4.

Perhaps it's not a big effort to do so, but I can't see why they'd want to do that.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
the 3DS version likely, but I suspect that the Switch version does not even have the majority of English characters or fonts prepared in the code; I remember reading that the majority of the UI was "Overhauled" (Even though it has the same design) so that it could upscale to a higher resolution since it was no longer confined to the 3DS's low pixel count.

Some of it is in English, but for the most part it's been very little.

Koenig

The Architect
From a business perspective, I'd say that localising MHXX, after the series have jumped to the new generation, would be stupid. I don't see MHXX selling enough in the west. Capcom has already a big MH new generation game for the west in the biggest marketplace: MHW for PS4.

Perhaps it's not a big effort to do so, but I can't see why they'd want to do that.
They don't have any MH titles on the Nintendo switch, which is exploding, and they have an already finished, text lite game that fans have been asking for with an already huge established fan base corresponding on the 3DS. It would cost them a relative swan song to translate and release it in the west, and they would be functionally guaranteed to make a huge profit on it. Granted MHW will hurt a lot of its potential, but its better than nothing for both them and the consumer.

Granted, it would still be better if they released MHW on Switch instead/in addition to MHXX. Aside from Capcom being notoriously short sighted, I can't see any situation in which Sony paying them for exclusivity ends up paying off more in the long run than it would had they released MHW on the Switch as well; the thing is already knocking sales numbers out of the park, and is primed to completely dominate japan.

theMightyME

there is very little work to be done, and a potential audience in the mid hundred thousands... if it sells at full retail $60... and sells to say 300,000 people
that is $18,000,000
subtract 30% for Nintendo (just going based on the very well known google and apple standards for apps, I think it is actually lower for console games
that's $12,600,000 for capcom in revenue

for a product that needs very little done on it, considering it is based on a past and already translated iteration.. a team of translators and localizers, lets say made up of 10 people working on it exclusively for a year would cost them around $700,000

lets ignore physical release expenses and say it is digital only... that means that Capcom could spend $700k to make around $12.6 million

a profit of nearly $12 million

why wouldn't a RATIONAL company want to make that? It can recoup some of the losses they will suffer on World, it could probably fund an entire mid-budget game.. like a breath of fire

or just imagine the amount of hookers and blow that gets

North American sales:
Monster Hunter 4U - 720k
Monster Hunter Tri (Wii) - 650k
Monster Hunter Tri (3DS) - 460k
Monster Hunter X - 330k

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear

The code itself is there for the English translation, so it's not like it'll need a completely new script for all the dialogue text. Sure, higher res textures, and fonts would be needed, but it is more than likely that XX was designed to be run at higher resolutions to begin with, so the 3DS version is simply a toned down graphical version with the Switch being the more default setting.

Odo

there is very little work to be done, and a potential audience in the mid hundred thousands... if it sells at full retail $60... and sells to say 300,000 people
that is $18,000,000
subtract 30% for Nintendo (just going based on the very well known google and apple standards for apps, I think it is actually lower for console games
that's $12,600,000 for capcom in revenue

for a product that needs very little done on it, considering it is based on a past and already translated iteration.. a team of translators and localizers, lets say made up of 10 people working on it exclusively for a year would cost them around $700,000

lets ignore physical release expenses and say it is digital only... that means that Capcom could spend $700k to make around $12.6 million

a profit of nearly $12 million

why wouldn't a RATIONAL company want to make that? It can recoup some of the losses they will suffer on World, it could probably fund an entire mid-budget game.. like a breath of fire

or just imagine the amount of hookers and blow that gets

North American sales:
Monster Hunter 4U - 720k
Monster Hunter Tri (Wii) - 650k
Monster Hunter Tri (3DS) - 460k
Monster Hunter X - 330k
I see your point. Yeah, if it sells 300k, being digital-only and it's really almost no effort to localise, yes, I'd agree with you. But when a company like Capcom is big and they don't have a department focused on small projects, in case there's reasonable effort to localise plus the fact that they expect to make much more money on MHW and that's the new direction of the company, I'd understand why they wouldn't give a them about localising to the west.

But if it's so little effort and a digital only game, perhaps yeah, it's unwise not to localise it.

Odo

They don't have any MH titles on the Nintendo switch, which is exploding, and they have an already finished, text lite game that fans have been asking for with an already huge established fan base corresponding on the 3DS. It would cost them a relative swan song to translate and release it in the west, and they would be functionally guaranteed to make a huge profit on it. Granted MHW will hurt a lot of its potential, but its better than nothing for both them and the consumer.

Granted, it would still be better if they released MHW on Switch instead/in addition to MHXX. Aside from Capcom being notoriously short sighted, I can't see any situation in which Sony paying them for exclusivity ends up paying off more in the long run than it would had they released MHW on the Switch as well; the thing is already knocking sales numbers out of the park, and is primed to completely dominate japan.
Yeah, if it's that little effort, yes, easy money, but if it's not, would be better for them to just focus on the new generation. It's also easier for the marketing.

If you guys believe that it's just a matter of hiring a bunch of fellas to just translate a Japanese file, then I'd agree if you.

But since they have a shining new product, a new generation of the franchise to be released on the most sold platform in the world and in the west, I'd agree with them in like "why bother localising an old generation game for Switch if it'd be selling enough in Japan to get enough profit". It's like they already have a big product in Japan and soon they'll have a big product worldwide to focus on.

its easy money. They sold over a half million of USF2 ffs, you cant tell me they couldnt easily trounce that number with a MHXX localization.
I think MHG wasn't a million seller, but yes I agree that they could make enough money.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Bingo. Its just logic I'm riding high on, but then again Capcom remains one of the most braindead companies around right now.
I wholeheartedly concur on the business acuity of Capcom skewing toward the braindead part of the spectrum, and I certainly think they'd make a profit on a XX localization for Switch...but yeah, there is logic to what they're doing. They aren't looking for a tidy XX profit. They're going whaling* with Monster Hunter World. Any possible hand they can throw on deck is probably working on it.

Which unfortunately leaves XX out in the cold. :/

It's another argument if they should be going for the whale here. They've had years of MonHun generating profit as-is, steadily chugging along, and one would think that factors into their thinking. But they obviously want to see if they can make the series bigger than that.

Koenig

The Architect
I mean, because going all in in like they did with the mobile market payed off so well for Capcom in the past. Monster Hunter's relatively low budget and production is the only thing that has kept Capcom alive the past few years; you would think they would have wised up that betting all your chips one black is generally a terrible idea (Especially when those chips are the one franchise that have been reliable up to this point). I can't help but think of the fable of the Farmer and the Golden Goose every time I talk about Capcom's business structure.

Koenig

The Architect
Hmmm...I wonder how long it'l take Capcom to figure out they can bleed the weak willed dry by letting players buy rare monster drops for $1.99 each? IT would solve their financial problems for the next decade, but ruin the experience for plenty.

Koenig

The Architect
I would to love a hoduken to set off a couple barrel Bombs If sleep bombing is still a thing... I ain't paying $4 for the privilege though.

theMightyME

Yep.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...er-world-shipped-5-million-units-in-a-weekend

Shipped isn't sold, but it looks like the gamble has paid off thus far.
big gambles like this often have a strong initial pay-off, but when you factor in the costs of a game like this compared to a traditional entry in the franchise, as well as the potential dammage to the franchise's user base it can be a lot less clear than the success of the units sold

it COULD end up revitalizing the franchise for many...

I LOATHE the final fantasy franchise as it is today, in my opinion it died after 6 and had 1 last death rattle before it became inanimate with 9...

that being said... the direction the franchise took was far more successful than where it was before

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I’ll be real interested in 2 things.

1. The actually sales numbers
2. A lot of these games fall off in the 2nd month. I wanna see if that happens here.

5 million shipped just tells me they had plenty of product out there to buy which is great.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
World launching when it did probably helped things as well.

Co op game + long ass game + during the typical "video game drought" from the start of the year = best time to launch monhun World.

Having the beta available around Xmas season probably helped a toooon as well.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
Might as well add oil to the fire here from Penny-Arcade:

Something can be the most humane iteration of itself yet and still be a rubber band ball of sorcerous density.

Monster Hunter is a game whose composition doesn’t lend itself to simple, amuse-bouche tier assessments of its character. Like the Monster Book Of Monsters, it is a beast about beasts. In the same way that everything in Minecraft is made up of blocks, everything important in Monster Hunter is made of guts. And you get those guts in the same way, by hacking at something until they fall out.

If Gil-Gadrib and I are playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the stream, I feel very strongly that we should be trying to learn those systems along with you and trying to give you some pointers. There’s a lot of elements and topples and bursts and shit. In Monster Hunter, I think you’re supposed to come to the new world a little confused. I’m not saying they shouldn’t help you - they do, much more I’d say than they have previously. All I’m suggesting is that it’s not mean spirited. You have to learn to live here. The alternative is that you won’t.

There is a lot of ritual and a lot of practice and a lot of systems and a lot of secrets. This is a game that game designers like, and you can tell because once you start playing it you’re going to notice its plumage everywhere. I said it was a beast about beasts before, but the metaphor is further reinforced by the fact that people are always approaching this thing and shaving off a piece or two for their own shit.

The only question, really: is it worth it? You don’t have a lot of skills that are going to transfer. This isn’t a genre literacy test, the game is its own genre. Is it worth it to amass these skills, and are you given things to do with them once you have? Monster Hunter feels like a place you can go. They start the world simulation way, way down low, and you take it from there, interacting with a world whose physicality is never in question. Every weapon in Monster Hunter, every individual weapon, would be another game’s entire combat philosophy. It has fourteen of them. You don’t gotta start today, by any means. World isn’t going anywhere, and they’re only getting started with this shit. But, for real. You want in.

Bring a friend.

EvilTw1n

I think this is a pretty good observation on MHW.

https://www.wired.com/story/monster-hunter-world-resurgence/amp

A (likely) mid-tier budget (in modern terms), but backed by major marketing, release isn't something people have been getting. After so many years of same-y AAA "cinematic" blockbusters, people are thirsty for something different.

That "something different" used to be covered by a vibrant middle market...that doesn't exist in Western gaming anymore. But it exists in Japan.

MonHun might be at the right place at the right time.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I haven't gotten to play much, but there are some things I'll mention that I think are good updates to the game:

Using a wiki site like Kiranico doesn't seem as necessary anymore. A lot of the reasons one had to go to that site are now addressed in the game. For example, figuring out which Great Sword I should be upgrading to in order to get the one with the most fire damage is now really easy because the game shows you all the points of your weapon's crafting tree right there in the Smith's menu. So now I can compare whether my Bone Blade will eventually make a great paralysis weapon or the best fire weapon, and choose accordingly.

Another thing is knowing which attacks from your weapon do more damage, as well as which parts of a monster are weaker. This stuff is now obvious due to the damage counter that appears on the screen when you hit an enemy (though you can turn it off if you want).

A more important thing is knowing how to get certain parts off an enemy. It used to be that you had to go to Kiranico or the MH Wiki to figure out how to get a Rathian Ruby, for example. Now, each part that you acquire tells you exactly how to get it ("obtained by breaking the horns"), so you easily know how to get more of the same. Increasing your research level for a monster (by fighting them multiple times, I believe) also now tells you not only that monster's weaknesses ("the belly is weak" kind of thing), but it also tells you what parts can be gathered from that monster. I'm not certain, but I think this applies to even the rare stuff like rubies.

There are a number of other small upgrades to the game, but in general this is all stuff we used to do through the Wiki anyway, so it won't change our experience a whole lot. On the other hand, there is one major new feature that I think is awesome, especially for people like me that like to make a lot of different weapons. It used to be that if your Bone Great Sword had two different upgrade paths, you would choose one and have to stick with it. For example, if I chose the Poison status path instead of the Fire damage path, and later on I felt that the weapon wasn't very good for Poison, I would be unable to revert the change and regretted my choice. If I wanted to get the Fire weapon, I would have to start from scratch, or at least from an earlier part of the weapon tree, and have to grind all those stupid claws and rubies again to upgrade the weapon.

Well, this time around, you can revert your weapon to any previous part of its upgrade path, and get a refund for all the parts spent to upgrade. So if I spent a Rathalos Ruby and 100 Rath Claws to upgrade to the Poison weapon and it sucked, I would just revert the change and get my parts back so I could put them toward the Fire path.

I'll post later with more stuff.

Koenig

The Architect
Increasing your research level for a monster (by fighting them multiple times, I believe) also now tells you not only that monster's weaknesses ("the belly is weak" kind of thing) but it also tells you what parts can be gathered from that monster. I'm not certain, but I think this applies to even the rare stuff like rubies.
Capcom is taking idea's from my wish list! Huzzah!

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
Oh, god refunding an upgrade sounds like something I've always dreamed about. There have been plenty of times I think I'm going down the right upgrade path to get the best damage on a weapon for a certain element, only for it to turn out to be that the base weapon i used to get there is better for a different element and now the weapon I've made is pointless and I've got to grind all over again (twice, even, if I want to get both the weapon I should've been upgrading the weapon into and the element weapon I should've been making instead)

Odo

Using a wiki site like Kiranico doesn't seem as necessary anymore. A lot of the reasons one had to go to that site are now addressed in the game. For example, figuring out which Great Sword I should be upgrading to in order to get the one with the most fire damage is now really easy because the game shows you all the points of your weapon's crafting tree right there in the Smith's menu. So now I can compare whether my Bone Blade will eventually make a great paralysis weapon or the best fire weapon, and choose accordingly.
This is great for casual players like me.

Odo

I reading stories and people around forums saying that the game is sold out in many shops. People from all around the world.

Odo

I'm also reading a lot of people saying 'yeah, I saw this ad and this game looks brilliant.. picking it up'. Two things.

PS4 is doing what Nintendon't: putting the game available everywhere with the massive amount of exposure that only PS4 can do this gen. This is a fact. Sad about Nintendo users, I know .. bloody traitors Capcom are.. but I believe that was exactly what Capcom was looking for. It's like when Myamoto decided to bring Nintendo to the USA.

On the other hand, a bunch of those guys will hate the game as soon as they start fighting the 5th monster. It's like when Nintendo was saying 'Get XCX, it's a massive open world game like Zelda, it's amazing' when they forgot to mention that it was a hardcore JRPG for people interested in investing a lot to learn the game systems. I saw a bunch of guys picking that up and them hating XCX all over GameFAQs.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Yeah I still don't see this game getting mainstream appeal. It might have some features that are good for beginners who already care about the game, but who else wants to run around a gigantic map for 40 minutes looking for mushrooms? Or beating on a lizard for 20 minutes with no idea of whether you're hurting him or not? All this stuff is still the same it's always been. I don't think the core game has been made any more accessible than it's ever been.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah I still don't see this game getting mainstream appeal. It might have some features that are good for beginners who already care about the game, but who else wants to run around a gigantic map for 40 minutes looking for mushrooms? Or beating on a lizard for 20 minutes with no idea of whether you're hurting him or not? All this stuff is still the same it's always been. I don't think the core game has been made any more accessible than it's ever been.
This was also my take from all the reviews I watched and from watching people hunting now.

Also about monster wiki and Kinanaco. That’s a great feature in the game that really helps everyone vet or rookie alike. I HATED The wiki but loved Kinanco BUT still disliked HAVING to use it.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I fought Anjanath, which is a sort of weaker Deviljho. It was an expedition and I died twice, so I couldn't finish it off before it left the map. Later on I fought a Rathian, and it's as good of a fight as it's always been. The game still has a lot of little annoying things, but I'l be straight with you guys: it's got its hooks on me. The game's pretty damn good.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I fought Anjanath, which is a sort of weaker Deviljho. It was an expedition and I died twice, so I couldn't finish it off before it left the map. Later on I fought a Rathian, and it's as good of a fight as it's always been. The game still has a lot of little annoying things, but I'l be straight with you guys: it's got its hooks on me. The game's pretty damn good.
I expected this just for the fact your a monster hunter. The game didn’t get 7s it got 9s so I’m plenty sure the Hunter / monster relationship is still great.

EvilTw1n

https://www.theverge.com/platform/a...onster-hunter-world-creature-design-interview

This is why the monsters and their AI feels different in the series. It starts with designing the monster for how it should move and react and attack, not just "make something cool looking."
I'm still curious on how the health potions and canceling-from-anything work out. Did they just make the monsters a little more aggressive?

Your reaction reminds me of what I read from Keza last night:

Monster Hunter isn’t all that much better than it’s always been. It’s just so much easier to appreciate now. What once felt like a well-kept secret amongst players with enough time and energy to scale the barriers to entry is now easier for everyone else to enjoy, thanks to a top-to-bottom overhaul that has made Monster Hunter: World the most beautiful and exciting game in the series. The depth remains, but many of the fiddly irritations that have been holding this series back have been swept away. As a long-time Monster Hunter player, it’s a wonderful thing to witness.

https://kotaku.com/monster-hunter-world-the-kotaku-review-1822557729

On one hand, that makes me relieved. It's still MonHun, so Capcom didn't go full dumb-Capcom. And since the series has always been great, I'll still enjoy XX if it comes our way (I'm almost ready to say eff it and do it, regardless).

But on the other hand...FOMO is a shitty feeling.

EvilTw1n

I'm already in love with this game.

Even though my FOMO is untenable, I'm glad you're experiencing it. I trust you to be a fair judge of hunting, so your praise is all I needed to hear.

Honestly, I'm really happy Capcom didn't fuck this up. At least the quality of the series is intact.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'm guessing that's Japan-only. If you follow the links, you end up here:
http://www.4gamer.net/games/117/G011794/20180207051/

Crap attribution from the quoted source and unclear data, as usual. Gaming journalism sucks, part the infinity.
Seriously I was about to say surely that was only 1 region or another. But still I feel like 1.5 million is low for Japan,that’s just my personal thoughts.