Monster Hunter XX

Odo

Monster Hunter XX
モンスターハンターダブルクロス

The ultimate generation 5 game of Monster Hunter is out there and now a Switch version is coming.

After MHT, Capcom said that MH would be a handheld franchise. So, MH4 came out for 3DS, but many were upset about that. What none of us could know back then is that a console like Switch would exist and now MH is back in glorious HD.

Monster Hunter Generations (MHX) is out for 3DS, but its ultimate edition will hit Switch in Japan this year which means that we'll soon be hunting fifth generation monsters on our TVs.

Who's excited?

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I've already got Overwatch, SFV, USF2, Mario Kart, Puyo Puyo, Arms, and Pocket Rumble in my rotation for the near future - and I'm still going to make room for this. That's how ready I am for more monster hunting.

Koenig

The Architect
I am looking forward to getting the crew back together for this game; it has been far too long since we have done Monster Hunter on a console.

Once the game comes out, feel free to bounce me questions about the low/high portions of the game; I have already played through them in the Generations predecessor, so I may be able to help.

Goodtwin

I am day one for sure, and I too look forward to playing with you guys. There hasn't really been a game that has pulled the TNE crew back together, but I think MH:XX could be the game that does this. I suppose Splatoon 2 will probably help that cause as well. My only experience with Monster Hunter was with MH3 Ultimate on Wii U, but it completely sold me on the series, and I was jacked to see XX announced. I feel like Monster Hunter is a concept game, and doesn't benefit from getting roped into the "cutting edge graphics" race. Don't get me wrong, what I have seen looks very nice, but it still screams PS2/Wii albeit in 1080p with better textures. From a tech perspective, my only hope is for a solid 60fps this time. MH3 Ultimate floated above 30fps, but never really held 60fps.

EthanGK

The blunder from down under
Been playing this on the 3DS and I think it's gonna be a great one to get the crew back together on! Lots of content :)

I wonder what it'll actually be named over here since if it follows the Japanese naming scheme, it'll be Monster Hunter Generations Generations which is ridiculous.

I'm feeling MH: Generations X.
So far the G-rank versions have been Monster Hunter G, MH3U and MH4U. But I feel like they'll want to shy away from the "U" thing. I guess it could end up being MH: Generations G, though.

Koenig

The Architect
hard to tell on a stream, but from what I've seen, I'm pretty certain that they are gonna keep the game locked to 30fps.
I believe so. I suspect that it might have something to do the game being programmed around the frame rate, as it seems to be rather common practice. If the games are build around a specific frame-rate, it is likely that they were locked to 30 FPS to preserve compatibility between the 3DS and Switch versions.

Then again, while MHGen had a locked frame-rate, MH4U did not and could flunctuate wildly depending on if you had a "New 3DS" or not (I still wan't to punch the person responsible for that naming convention). So, hell if I know. I am disappointed that the Switch version is not running at 60 FPS, but 30 has never caused me any issues.

mattavelle1

ARMS is like breathing.......but more important
I am super excited! Really glad I skipped generations now so that I can have this one fresh. I'm not totally happy about some of the functions in generations choosing styles and whatnot. But I'll make it work:msrs:

Day 1 buy

Koenig

The Architect
I am really hoping to have a conversion tool for Monster Hunter Generations. I know in japan it is possible to transfer a large portion of your progress from Monster Hunter X to Monster Hunter XX; however there has been no word on the generations version yet.

Odo

I am really hoping to have a conversion tool for Monster Hunter Generations. I know in japan it is possible to transfer a large portion of your progress from Monster Hunter X to Monster Hunter XX; however there has been no word on the generations version yet.
I think it's a given. What can possibly stop them to release it for us?

Koenig

The Architect
Apparently once you make it to G rank, you can combine two sets of armor to gain the aesthetics of one of them while retaining the skills of the other. It comes at the cost of both previous sets of gear, as well as a number of tokens acquired from playing in G rank. My mind is already racing for the perfect combinations~

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Apparently once you make it to G rank, you can combine two sets of armor to gain the aesthetics of one of them while retaining the skills of the other. It comes at the cost of both previous sets of gear, as well as a number of tokens acquired from playing in G rank. My mind is already racing for the perfect combinations~

They got my blood pressure rising just from the thought of grinding twice as much as before for a single piece of armor. I think I'll either do this with the unique armor sets (halloween or something), or stick to clown suits.

Koenig

The Architect
Keep in mind the real grind in armor sets in MHX/MHXX is upgrading them, not just making them. As upgrades now require a combination of Armor Spheres and Monster Parts, with most end game armor requiring gems for its final level.

mattavelle1

ARMS is like breathing.......but more important
Keep in mind the real grind in armor sets in MHX/MHXX is upgrading them, not just making them. As upgrades now require a combination of Armor Spheres and Monster Parts, with most end game armor requiring gems for its final level.
Ugh

Odo

I hate armor spheres.

Koenig

The Architect
I think so.

The lance was the one that made me feel more comfy. Ive tried others
Aight. If you ever feel the urge to try the Charge Blade feel free to hit me up. That weapon is my bread and butter; It is a jack of all trades, offering the defense of a Lance, offense of Sword/Axe, cutting power to sever limbs, impact power to break parts and KO monster, and with the inclusion of guard point, the ability to guard during certain attacks. (I may sound like an infomercial right now, but that is because that is exactly how I feel about the weapon)

What is easier?

1 To find 10 Pokémon with 1% appearance rate?
2 To find one armor sphere+?

1 of course

Note that higher level quests give sphere+'s like candy, but in turn have their own rare orbs to offer in small quantities. In MH Generations, I am currently at the mercy of Heavy Armor spheres. Likewise depending on the level of quest you are in, you can find them as common drops from ore deposits, although higher level orbs tend to be reserved for quest rewards instead. If you want, we can do a few hunts that have more of the orbs the next time we are on MH4U.

Koenig

The Architect
Doing a little research, and it looks like Furor will be a must have skill for those who main "Brave" style. The skill gives you an Attack up (L) while your hunter has HP in the red, and since brave style drains HP from you in order to initiate a number of its attacks, these can be effectively paired together for a massive stat buff, on top of any other boosts you can mix with it from there on out.

Koenig

The Architect
I really wish I could transfer my Monster Hunter Generations save data to MHXX (Data transfer only works with the original MHX version). I have 400+ hours of gameplay in it, and I have been grinding out the last few quest and ...

This is making me even more depressed.

Capcom, you messed up bad.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
Anyone who wants to learn a little Japanese to help with mh... Duolingo (on iPhone and Android) now has japanese... It is a free language learning app that is highly regarded
Oh damn, I'm gonna have to start using it again. I DL-ed it hoping to learn a little Japanese, but it wasn't an option (I tried to teach myself some Spanish, instead). Glad they have it now.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Id be down...I have wanted to learn Japanese for something like this for a while. @Juegos got any tips for learning a new language?
Move to Japan. :msrs:

I've tried learning Japanese, but it didn't take. That said, I didn't need to really know Japanese beyond figuring little things out like "Save game" to play Soma Bringer on DS. Playing MHXX shouldn't require you to learn Japanese to even beginner level, especially since there must be guides online explaining what armors have what skills and so on.

That said, I spent over a decade learning English before I moved to the US, and it was mostly by playing SNES RPGs with a dictionary, and eventually reading Harry Potter. I also watched TV shows and movies in English with Spanish subs. Before I came here, I was able to translate Final Fantasy X to a friend as we played it. So I guess the advice is to just consume a lot of Japanese media and make a real effort (dictionary, etc) to understand it. All of that only enables you to read and listen to the language, speaking it is a skill on its own that you need to practice on its own, hopefully with native speakers.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I created a club on duolingo for learning Japanese together...

Create your duolingo account, install the app, and then go to clubs and use this code

NBTAFV

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
Btw... I am not playing monster hunter with you guys lol, not my mind of game... But it is time i made another attempt at Japanese... Going to use the steam game make bought me too

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I created a club on duolingo for learning Japanese together...

Create your duolingo account, install the app, and then go to clubs and use this code

NBTAFV
Done. I'll try to keep up. With Spanish, I did it for a few weeks and got discouraged.