Monster Hunter XX

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Yeah, MonHun is a cash cow for Capcom. The "grind for the sake of the grind"-type of game definitely was niche when the series launched, but now it's the central mechanic in Destiny, and the MH routinely puts up multi-million sales. It's still not what I'd call mainstream, though. And that's part of Capcom's rationale, I'm sure - turn MH from cash cow into lucrative blockbuster. And since they've basically been iterating on PS2-ish visuals this whole time, it makes sense for them to pounce when Sony makes them a good offer. The business case makes sense.

...with one glaring exception. It's a series that does well on handheld, with a strong home base in Japan, but that needed pushed into the HD era. Hmm. Could there be an HD console that also works as a handheld that is also huge in Japan...?
Hmmmmmm what kinda console do you speak of *face_rubs_chin*

And just to add a touch here. I’m sure while “MHW was in development and WiiU was on its way out”. Capcom and Nintendo were still working on the series IE Generations / XX for the 3DS.

So from this diduction on my part you can bet that Capcom knew about at the very least the concept about the Switch. Now how Capcom turned that down I’ll never understand because the Switch is literally made for MH.

Because if they really wanted to make amazing money MHW is already on PS4/X1/PC, why not just add one more and make it a true multiplt? You got probably 4 million people on Nintendo who would buy it if 3U/4U/generations are any indication.

It just doesn’t make any sense for Capcom not to bring it outside if a deal with Sony involving ALOT of money.

But you know win win

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
So from this diduction on my part you can bet that Capcom knew about at the very least the concept about the Switch.
https://gonintendo.com/stories/2742...-switch-dev-kit-costs-tech-details-working-on

I don't think you hold a joint session with Capcom, and actually change your dev kits on their request, unless you gave them dev kits pretty early.

Capcom knew. Not everything, but they weren't out of the loop. It's a broken record, I know, but Sony must've made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

Koenig

The Architect
When capcom was developing MHW, Wii U was going down the pan and NSW didn't exist. The natural move was to make it a game for the market leader: PS4. Doesn't it make sense?

Besides, PS4 may hit 100m in a couple of years, I don't see MHW not making enough profit. It's high time the franchise turned into something more worldwide and less niche, right? PS4 is the best platform to try to do that.

In case MHW fails, which is unlikely I reckon, capcom can just translate XX and the fans on Nintendo will throw easy money at them or they can just release Street Fighter more 4 times and NSW users will buy them all and capcom will be rich again releasing retro material and MH in PS2 engine. Win win situation in all cases, no?
That does make sense to me. What doesn't make sense to my is why they would not bring it the Switch as well, and I don't buy for a moment that the Switch could not run it with a little effort put in; games like Doom have proven that much.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
This game is going to sell like 2M on PS4. Capcom is going to call it a sales failure and blame their fans for not supporting the franchise. Then they'll charge $30 for the G-rank update a year from now.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
This game is going to sell like 2M on PS4. Capcom is going to call it a sales failure and blame their fans for not supporting the franchise. Then they'll charge $30 for the G-rank update a year from now.
THIS is exactly where I fall aswell. The only kicker is I never thought about the paided G rank DLC..............:mcry:

EvilTw1n

THIS is exactly where I fall aswell. The only kicker is I never thought about the paided G rank DLC..............:mcry:
https://www.rpgsite.net/news/6541-m...mode-and-g-rank-quests-in-new-group-interview

——What will happen to G-Rank quests?

Tsujimoto: We haven’t decided on that yet. For now, we plan to use the current system as a base, perform a number of updates to it, and add more monsters.

Fujioka: We’re thinking about whether we can add replay value and a broader range of gameplay.

Tokuda: We’re also preparing updates for things other than monsters, so please wait in anticipation.

EvilTw1n

All we can do is hope. Just like we hope for XX localization............
It's probably not gonna happen, but the Vita featured a bunch of MonHun-ish games, like Soul Sacrifice and God Eater. And those games need a home without a Vita successor, and with Sony investing in MH. I'd honestly rather buy something like that than get nickel and dimed by Capcom for a game I can't read.

(...unless Nintendo has told one of their own studios to fill this hole in their lineup...)

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
It's probably not gonna happen, but the Vita featured a bunch of MonHun-ish games, like Soul Sacrifice and God Eater. And those games need a home without a Vita successor, and with Sony investing in MH. I'd honestly rather buy something like that than get nickel and dimed by Capcom for a game I can't read.

(...unless Nintendo has told one of their own studios to fill this hole in their lineup...)
THIS IS THE POST I NEEDED!!! You bring hope in your pocket friend, and I like that style.

Now I’m not thinking MH isn’t coming, in thinking what kinda awesome is out there I haven’t experienced in this type of game.

Yeah you have won the game tonight my man:mhug:

Koenig

The Architect
THIS IS THE POST I NEEDED!!! You bring hope in your pocket friend, and I like that style.

Now I’m not thinking MH isn’t coming, in thinking what kinda awesome is out there I haven’t experienced in this type of game.

Yeah you have won the game tonight my man:mhug:
Maybe a game like this would be up your ally?

Provided they actually come to the switch and make it stateside anyways.

Odo

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/10/2...ps-4-1-million-sales-2-million-expected-mhxx/

4.1 million is not niche LMAO and this is just the number from what some argue is one of the worse MH games.

So while this may all work out for yourself personally @Odo its far from a win win situation for many of us here. Does this sound like a win win sitiustion for someone who #1 franchise right now is MH and a big reason why I bought a Switch.

Here my personal win win situation.

Capcom releases SF2UE on Switch and says it’s a test. I buy it to support them because I’m still pumped about MH coming. And this is what options they left many of us for MH.

1. Import a game you can’t read which I did. And now I need to make armor and weapons and you need menus for that because it’s so intricate.

2. Buy a new console then pay there online subscription THEN buy MHW so you can play a new MH game in English.

Yeah this isn’t a win win not even close to it. And don’t worry about Capcom, there is no telling how much Sony gave them for MH to come back and to insure they wouldn’t get crushed in Japan by Nintendo, but only trounced.
You're talking about different things.

I'm talking about marketing and business. Win win between Capcom, Sony and a huge user base that gonna jump into the game.

Besides, whenever I feel the lack of some game on a Nintendo console, I always have to hear: " why just you don't buy other console and understand that Nintendo is for Nintendo games.".. "why do you had those wrong expectations about Nintendo line up"...

I think that's the time for MH fans hear: "love MH? true love? Why not buy PS4 and get it?"

I get that expecting MH in a Nintendo console is a given since Wii, but still, I'm not saying that you guys have this attitude, but I see people out there like "I'll not support MHW, because it's on PS4". I didn't know that Nintendo fanbase had so many haters. Again, I'm not saying that it's the attitude here.

But, anyway, MH lovers could pick a PS4 on the fanbase perspective, and on the business perspective, it's win win for Capcom and Sony. No way they're going to lose money. No way and in case Capcom does, they just have to translate MHXX and they get easy money.

My argument is for those that say that what capcom is doing is stupid. I can't see that. For those who are lamenting over no MH on Switch and will be Switch-only this generation, I'm sorry for you, really.

Odo

That does make sense to me. What doesn't make sense to my is why they would not bring it the Switch as well, and I don't buy for a moment that the Switch could not run it with a little effort put in; games like Doom have proven that much.
I think it could happen down the road, unless Sony doesn't want that.

I don't know if there's something cooked in there that couldn't run on NSW, like network thing or such. Graphically wise, it could be ported, I guess

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
You're talking about different things.

I'm talking about marketing and business. Win win between Capcom, Sony and a huge user base that gonna jump into the game.

Besides, whenever I feel the lack of some game on a Nintendo console, I always have to hear: " why just you don't buy other console and understand that Nintendo is for Nintendo games.".. "why do you had those wrong expectations about Nintendo line up"...

I think that's the time for MH fans hear: "love MH? true love? Why not buy PS4 and get it?"

I get that expecting MH in a Nintendo console is a given since Wii, but still, I'm not saying that you guys have this attitude, but I see people out there like "I'll not support MHW, because it's on PS4". I didn't know that Nintendo fanbase had so many haters. Again, I'm not saying that it's the attitude here.

But, anyway, MH lovers could pick a PS4 on the fanbase perspective, and on the business perspective, it's win win for Capcom and Sony. No way they're going to lose money. No way and in case Capcom does, they just have to translate MHXX and they get easy money.

My argument is for those that say that what capcom is doing is stupid. I can't see that. For those who are lamenting over no MH on Switch and will be Switch-only this generation, I'm sorry for you, really.
You gonna buy a console for 1 game? Also I’m the one who has been supporting there games, and now there just making them for people like y’all who I frankly feel like don’t deserve it, because if y’all did you would have bought them on Nintendo’s consoles. Now your talking out the side of your mouth that because it’s on PS, your console of choice it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And what makes you think just because it’s a huge user base there gonna jump on that game?

There is literally no evidence that, that is gonna happen. Your still talking about monster hunter and unless they have really dumbed it down for that audience there still gonna be intimated by it and not put in the time.

And it’s a win for Sony for sure, and on Capcoms end they got paid so there fine.

And yes it is stupid for Capcom. They are putting the game out literally on every other platform. And you have a user base of let’s say a firm 2 million on Nintendo that are MH fans. And you say no to all that money? Come on Odo

Last edited:
Eh, its not anything to do with the game, its just the community that I play with. I'm not gonna go out and buy a PS4, then make Matt ET GT etc go and get one, then have all of us pay for PSN to connect to each other.

Also my style. I cant have this game not be portable.

Remains to be seen if its a win win, its a win for Sony, but even you gave an out for Capcom if it bombs so.

I think its clear that the series will come back to Nintendo at this point, so I'm just gonna wait.

Koenig

The Architect
Considering past Monster Hunter games have had servers, it would be nice to see MHW be cross compatible between platforms at some point. (Granted, from my understanding, this is more an issue of platform holders allowing players to use the feature, as apposed to any major technical hurdles. Looking at you, Sony.)

Odo

You gonna buy a console for 1 game? Also I’m the one who has been supporting there games, and now there just making them for people like y’all who I frankly feel like don’t deserve it, because if y’all did you would have bought them on Nintendo’s consoles. Now your talking out the side of your mouth that because it’s on PS, your console of choice it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.

And what makes you think just because it’s a huge user base there gonna jump on that game?

There is literally no evidence that, that is gonna happen. Your still talking about monster hunter and unless they have really dumbed it down for that audience there still gonna be intimated by it and not put in the time.

And it’s a win for Sony for sure, and on Capcoms end they got paid so there fine.

And yes it is stupid for Capcom. They are putting the game out literally on every other platform. And you have a user base of let’s say a firm 2 million on Nintendo that are MH fans. And you say no to all that money? Come on Odo
Yeah, I can't say what I said about the user base. I should've said huge user base that might jump into it.

I'd say that Capcom is being disloyal to its loyal fans, but not stupid. With Wii U's crash, I bet many Japanese players and Nintendo fans bought their PS4s and they're there waiting for more Japanese games that lacked on Wii U. I believe that PS4 has already a huge number of MH fans that have both Nintendo consoles and a PS4. It's perfectly possible. Not all Nintendo fans have only Nintendo consoles.

So I don't see any reason to believe that there's no audience whatsoever for MH on a console that has sold 60m so far. Deciding to put MH on PS4 is a bet, maybe, but they may get more money than if they had decided to put on a Nintendo console, back then when Nintendo was struggling. Capcom now must be thinking about porting it to NSW, but back then, starting developing a new HD MH for the #1 console of this generation is just the obvious business choice.

Goodtwin

I agree with Odo about the response to another console getting the game you want. When Bayonetta 2 was announced for Wii U, I know I wasn't all that empathetic for those Xbox and PlayStation fans. Same goes when a game don't care about is announced and isn't coming to Switch. So I can see now how being told to just but a Wii U or 3DS for a game or two was could be a bit off putting.

The flip side to all that is Monster Hunter has seen tremendous success on Nintendo portables, and if it weren't for those platforms Monster Hunter would have fizzled out by now, this World's never gets greenlighted. Imagine if Mass Effect 1 & 2 were Xbox exclusives, and then Sony gets the third and final game as exvlusive. Fans are likely to be pissed. A game like Bayonetta is different because a sequel was never coming unless Nintendo funded it. Platinum wasn't biased, they were looking for any publisher willing to greenlight the project.

MH Worlds has a lot of TV ads right now. I think the marketing budget alone is going to require big sales. Remember when Capcom sold 5million orore copies of RE6, and said it lost a lot of money? I think
World's will sell 2-3 million, Capcom announces big losses, and announces the series may go bye bye, because fans just aren't there for this type of game. Capcom is that fucked up. World's could in theory retire the series, they are that fucked up.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

Looks more like the development time was the issue, at least that is what Capcom is saying.
Not bringing World to Switch, ay ok, whatever. Considering G-rank is DLC/update stuff, we wont see a new game in a good long time, Switch or not. Disappointing but I already made my peace with this fact.

Development time is bullshit. Nintendo had Capcom on the ground level in their console development. Even if World was in development 4 years ago, so what? The NX was already a thing a year after Wii U came out, you're telling me they couldnt do anything at that time 3 years ago? Nothing 2 years ago? One year ago? What have they done on Switch 10 months later? Jack shit. I dont buy this at all, it was moneyhatted by Sony is all, but I guess that cant be admitted to.

also how does that affect MHXX localization? It shouldnt have.

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
I agree with Odo about the response to another console getting the game you want. When Bayonetta 2 was announced for Wii U, I know I wasn't all that empathetic for those Xbox and PlayStation fans. Same goes when a game don't care about is announced and isn't coming to Switch. So I can see now how being told to just but a Wii U or 3DS for a game or two was could be a bit off putting.

The flip side to all that is Monster Hunter has seen tremendous success on Nintendo portables, and if it weren't for those platforms Monster Hunter would have fizzled out by now, this World's never gets greenlighted. Imagine if Mass Effect 1 & 2 were Xbox exclusives, and then Sony gets the third and final game as exvlusive. Fans are likely to be pissed. A game like Bayonetta is different because a sequel was never coming unless Nintendo funded it. Platinum wasn't biased, they were looking for any publisher willing to greenlight the project.

MH Worlds has a lot of TV ads right now. I think the marketing budget alone is going to require big sales. Remember when Capcom sold 5million orore copies of RE6, and said it lost a lot of money? I think
World's will sell 2-3 million, Capcom announces big losses, and announces the series may go bye bye, because fans just aren't there for this type of game. Capcom is that fucked up. World's could in theory retire the series, they are that fucked up.

I do understand Capcom's point of contention that MHW has been in development since long before the Switch was in development, and it is completely fair to say that after the Wii U's failures, Capcom was clearly cautious about even considering MHW for Nintendo's future platform.

In some respects, you could blame Nintendo on this one for MHW not appearing on the Switch right now, if at all.

Koenig

The Architect
I do understand Capcom's point of contention that MHW has been in development since long before the Switch was in development, and it is completely fair to say that after the Wii U's failures, Capcom was clearly cautious about even considering MHW for Nintendo's future platform.

In some respects, you could blame Nintendo on this one for MHW not appearing on the Switch right now, if at all.
The other question I have, is did Capcom know the Switch was going to be portable early in its development, or only later on?

Shoulder

Your Resident Beardy Bear
The other question I have, is did Capcom know the Switch was going to be portable early in its development, or only later on?
Hard to tell. I wonder unless Nintendo went the power house route like PX4 and X1, I doubt MHW would've even been considered. From what I gather, Capcom had a clear vision for MHW, and it appears that hardware is playing a big factor. Unlike previous MH games for example, this one has no loading screens, so it's all seamless.

That being said, we know that Monolith Soft can create massive seamless worlds, so it shouldn't be too difficult a task in order to translate a game such as MHW to a system like the Switch.

Goodtwin

I would say yes, it seems from the proof of concept in the early days Switch was going to be a hybrid console. From what I can remeber, the hybrid concept was priority alongside detachable controllers for easy local multiplayer.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Hard to tell. I wonder unless Nintendo went the power house route like PX4 and X1, I doubt MHW would've even been considered. From what I gather, Capcom had a clear vision for MHW, and it appears that hardware is playing a big factor. Unlike previous MH games for example, this one has no loading screens, so it's all seamless.
Capcom has a vision, sure, but they need to get their eyes checked. Can you imagine what the meetings for MHW must have been like?

"Hey, did you guys notice that since we started putting Monster Hunter on portable platforms it's been selling like hotcakes?"
"Huh, I hadn't noticed"
"Yeah. Check it out, kids are bringing it to school and the park and playing with their friends. They're even lining up a whole day before launch just to make sure they can all play it together on launch day."
"I guess you're right. So what do you have in mind for our next entry in the franchise?"
"Let's put it on a non-portable system, and let's get rid of local co-op."

No matter what argument Capcom brings, the truth is they backed themselves into a corner. They made a gamble on an audience that hardly cares for them, went all-in with the power requirements (or so they say), and have made it harder for their actual fans to not only get the console that they can play their game on, but made it impossible to play it the way the fans want to (portable, local co-op).

They have managed to turn the one franchise that was a safe bet for profitability into yet another risky production like Resident Evil and Devil May Cry.

There's no illuminated reasoning hiding inside of Capcom's minds. They all drunkenly committed themselves to a path of ruination, and are now carrying it out to the end for nothing but pride.

Odo

and it is completely fair to say that after the Wii U's failures, Capcom was clearly cautious about even considering MHW for Nintendo's future platform.

Cristal clear obviously yeah.

Odo

So I already pre-ordered Monster Hunter World for the PS4 (it's my brother's machine). I'm sorry guys.
Let's do this. I've been thinking about getting PS4 with MHW. It's the right time to jump into PS4 in my opinion. It's gonna be an epic year for PS4 imo.

Well, I'd buy a Nintendo console just to play Pokemon and Fire Emblem. It's not a crazy idea, in fact many Pokemon fans bought 3DS just for Pokemon.

I'm thinking about getting a Xbox just for Forza too, down the road. Forza looks great...

Goodtwin

Let's do this. I've been thinking about getting PS4 with MHW. It's the right time to jump into PS4 in my opinion. It's gonna be an epic year for PS4 imo.

Well, I'd buy a Nintendo console just to play Pokemon and Fire Emblem. It's not a crazy idea, in fact many Pokemon fans bought 3DS just for Pokemon.

I'm thinking about getting a Xbox just for Forza too, down the road. Forza looks great...
All platforms have lots of great games, but I just don't have the time to really make good use of a PlayStation or Xbox. I was into me PC for a few months, but now I rarely play on it. I just prefer Nintendo platforms and the games that flourish on them.

Odo

All platforms have lots of great games, but I just don't have the time to really make good use of a PlayStation or Xbox. I was into me PC for a few months, but now I rarely play on it. I just prefer Nintendo platforms and the games that flourish on them.

I forgot that it'll come out for PCs eventually. So probably for most of you guys the PC version is the way to go.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I forgot that it'll come out for PCs eventually. So probably for most of you guys the PC version is the way to go.
Jueg got PS4
ET doesn’t have a PC to run it
I don’t even have a PC
Goodtwin isn’t gonna play it if we don’t
Fried only has a PC for elicits

There is your crew who played all the other ones here at TNE.

Odo

Jueg got PS4
ET doesn’t have a PC to run it
I don’t even have a PC
Goodtwin isn’t gonna play it if we don’t
Fried only has a PC for elicits

There is your crew who played all the other ones here at TNE.
Pretty bad then. PCs are still a hard thing to own and build I suppose. I don't have one for games either.

EvilTw1n

That being said, we know that Monolith Soft can create massive seamless worlds, so it shouldn't be too difficult a task in order to translate a game such as MHW to a system like the Switch.
Monolith are wizards. When you can give tips to EPD on how to build worlds, you're in some pretty rarified air.

Capcom's MH team is also the best there is at what they do, but it's quite different than Monolith's balliwick. Instead, team MH has been iterating on PS2-era visuals forever now. They've done two up-res games, but not a ground-up, current-gen, HD game. So really, the more I think on it, the less surprising this is.

Not because it's necessarily smart (as @Juegos pointed out, this is a gamble), but because Capcom had already talked themselves into it. "Well, the 3DS market is pretty much set, the Switch might not catch on, we haven't really made a 'current-gen' game, and Sony has fuck money to spare..."

It kinda does all fit together. As much as it makes sense now to look at Switch, they're committed to this project, and have to be committed to it because of all the time they've put in.

you know I keep saying "import", but you know you guys can just download this thing, right? Just need to create a japanese account and connect paypal to it.

Goodtwin

you know I keep saying "import", but you know you guys can just download this thing, right? Just need to create a japanese account and connect paypal to it.
You can order a physical copy on Amazon for $60 of you do not want to dick with that.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Its not the import I am worried about; it's the fact that I can't read Moonrunes (Or transfer my MHGen data).
Come on...it can't take more than a hundred hours to get to G-Rank! If you put in eight hours a day and five days a week you'll be done in two and a half weeks. I mean I know you could flip burgers for the same period of time to pay rent and utilities, but between that a Monster Hunter, we all know which is the better option.

Koenig

The Architect
Come on...it can't take more than a hundred hours to get to G-Rank! If you put in eight hours a day and five days a week you'll be done in two and a half weeks. I mean I know you could flip burgers for the same period of time to pay rent and utilities, but between that a Monster Hunter, we all know which is the better option.
But what about the other 300 or so hours I have in gen; I don't to lose that too :(.

In all honesty, MHGen is the first monster Hunter game where I have even come close to "Completing".

Well, Idk how to make guides tbqh. If you guys want specific translated screens, I can probably do that. There's a bunch but I feel we wont be needing to use too much anyhow.

First off, is how I use the Google Translate app.
You need a smartphone with a decent camera. When you first load it up and set it to translate from Japanese to English, you'll probably get something like this whenever you hit the camera button

Ideally, you'll get a pretty coherent translation like so. More often than not, though, you'll get some gibberish mixed in, making stuff confusing. To get a more clear translation, I would turn off live-translating by hitting the green eye off.
You'll get something like this instead.

Scrubbing over the text gives you a much cleaner translation and more importantly saves the japanese text for other use.
One of the biggest reasons I use this mode is because its very useful whenever you want to start building armor and weapons.
Quick example. You go to the smithy and want to build yourself something. You find something that looks good but dont have all the mats to build it. You dont know what they are or how to get them. What to do? Persist!

So I like the look of this armor and take a shot of it in the translator

Scrub it and then back out into the main bit of the app:

Now click on the characters you scrubbed and you can now highlight and copy the text:

Plug that into google and hit the kiranico link, which is an important source

Scroll down and find the mats list. You can translate it if you want, but I like to keep it like this so I can compare the characters in the game to the website and make sure I have it right.

Now you can click on the mats and find out what quests/monsters you need to hunt to get them. Rinse repeat

Often times, since the game is based on Generations, you can just look up the monster with its english name and figure stuff out. But this is how I've done things so far and I have like 5 armor sets and several lances thus far.

more little guides to come.