Monster Hunter XX

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
WE DID THAT!!!!

@EvilTw1n @FriedShoes our most gracious Japanese hunting guide!!!
I'll post more on XX later tonight, but the game clicks right into place when you get to combat. I haven't reliably played MonHun in probably like two years at this point, but outside of missing a mount from your axe-launch, and getting in the way of one of Fried's charges, I think my rust mostly fell off. It all felt normal, despite the menus being incomprehensible.

Odo

Well, Idk how to make guides tbqh. If you guys want specific translated screens, I can probably do that. There's a bunch but I feel we wont be needing to use too much anyhow.

First off, is how I use the Google Translate app.
You need a smartphone with a decent camera. When you first load it up and set it to translate from Japanese to English, you'll probably get something like this whenever you hit the camera button

Ideally, you'll get a pretty coherent translation like so. More often than not, though, you'll get some gibberish mixed in, making stuff confusing. To get a more clear translation, I would turn off live-translating by hitting the green eye off.
You'll get something like this instead.

Scrubbing over the text gives you a much cleaner translation and more importantly saves the japanese text for other use.
One of the biggest reasons I use this mode is because its very useful whenever you want to start building armor and weapons.
Quick example. You go to the smithy and want to build yourself something. You find something that looks good but dont have all the mats to build it. You dont know what they are or how to get them. What to do? Persist!

So I like the look of this armor and take a shot of it in the translator

Scrub it and then back out into the main bit of the app:

Now click on the characters you scrubbed and you can now highlight and copy the text:

Plug that into google and hit the kiranico link, which is an important source

Scroll down and find the mats list. You can translate it if you want, but I like to keep it like this so I can compare the characters in the game to the website and make sure I have it right.

Now you can click on the mats and find out what quests/monsters you need to hunt to get them. Rinse repeat

Often times, since the game is based on Generations, you can just look up the monster with its english name and figure stuff out. But this is how I've done things so far and I have like 5 armor sets and several lances thus far.

more little guides to come.
that's the true meaning of love.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I'll post more on XX later tonight, but the game clicks right into place when you get to combat. I haven't reliably played MonHun in probably like two years at this point, but outside of missing a mount from your axe-launch, and getting in the way of one of Fried's charges, I think my rust mostly fell off. It all felt normal, despite the menus being incomprehensible.
Not gonna lie..........WE LOOKED AWESOME!!!

EvilTw1n

So now that I'm a few hours deep, I think the obvious questions for XX can be answered.

Can you enjoy this game with Japanese menus?
Yes. It's overwhelming at first, but once you get some items and screw around, you can make it work. "Oh, so that's my pouch, that's my storage chest, I click down 7 times for online." Once you start collecting stuff, it all clicks more. And in-combat menu item selection is easy, since it's purely icon-based.

How does it look?
Great. Read the DF write up if you're into that sort of thing, but this isn't a lazy port. The 3DS was, what...240p? This game is blown to 1080p on the TV and looks damn impressive. Yes, the level geometry is more basic, but seriously, it's a 3DS game at heart. Capcom's artists really are some of the best in the business. Plus, 'dem colors. @Juegos mentioned that World is a bit desaturated, but XX is bright and pastel-y, bordering on freaking neon in places. It gets the important stuff right.

How does it play?
Like Monster Hunter. I think Keza made a good point in her World review: "better" for MonHun is kinda relative. The series is what it is, and they pretty much all hit the same standard, just in different ways. If you like MonHun, I think you'll like XX, too.

So I should buy an imported copy of XX?
Nope.

Wait, what?
You should only buy XX if you have the muscle memory of hundreds of hours of MH and (this is the important part) you are interested only in the battles and camaraderie, AND you plan on playing this everyday so that you don't forget the menu patterns. A lot of people play MH as Pokémon for weapons and armor. That's completely valid, and I grok the "gotta have 'em all"-thing, but doing that here is gonna be prohibitively wonky. If you want to play fashion hunter, you will be living through Google's translate app instead of actually playing. I don't think I'll even pay much attention to gemming in skills. If you're a series fan, all of the little tricks of the trade you've learned for defanging elemental weaknesses, all the granular ways you've tailored armor sets, that's all going to be frustrating here. It'll be like eating fried chicken with both hands tied behind your back, a clothes pin on your nose, and a toothache.

But you're doing it.
I'm a fucking moron.

I guess I won't order it.
Why the hell not?

...but you just said-
Listen, I'm giving you all of the reasons the game will frustrate you. Don't buy this game and endlessly bitch about how you wish it was localized. It will be a complete waste of $60 for you, an unhappy marriage that won't end well. Go get Bayonetta instead.

However.

If the best part of a hunt for you is kicking your buddy after a Gypceros stuns them...

If you have a Pavlovian response to seeing a monster with a cuttable tail...

If you plan on playing this, bare minimum, every other day and are OK with that commitment...

If the idea of never fully understanding any of the menus doesn't bother you...

If you're willing to forego having the perfect element or status on cue...

If the only thing that matters to you is seeing a monster fall when you have a magic pixel of health left...

...then?
Welcome to Engrish Hunter.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
You know that thing about the tail is no joke. I still remember my first fight with the Alatreon, just me and @mattavelle1. Thirty minutes into watching me whack at the tail, I remember Matt asking me, "do you really think you can cut that tail? I don't know..." and my answer was also "I don't know." We didn't beat him that time, but 10 minutes later I got a full Greatsword charge on that tail and saw it flop right out and on to the ground. We both roared in disbelief at it.

Just yesterday I got to the final boss of Monster Hunter World. He is sort of like Fatalis, sort of like a Lagiacrus with wings, and sort of like an Alatreon. Except that he's gigantic. Don't get excited - he's not fun to fight at all. Biggest waste of time this side of the Jhen Mohran. But I did spend 30 minutes whacking that enormous tail until it inevitably flopped onto the ground, like he was just a G. Ludroth.

All of us with cutting weapons know in our heart of hearts that the most fun part of this game is getting that tail to come off. Everything else is just gravy.

EvilTw1n

First faint. Astalos is no joke, man. It's kinda funny how MonHun breaks you in.

Scrubs: "OK, you'll get hit, but it won't take much health."
Low: "OK, now you'll get hit, maybe multiple times, and each will take a quarter of your health, occasional spike damage."
High: "OK, now you'll usually get hit multiple times, each shot is quarter-to-half health, usual spike damage."
G: "One shot, you poor bastard."

Astalos knocked me back with the lighting attack, and then two-shot me. It was glorious.
You know that thing about the tail is no joke. I still remember my first fight with the Alatreon, just me and @mattavelle1. Thirty minutes into watching me whack at the tail, I remember Matt asking me, "do you really think you can cut that tail? I don't know..." and my answer was also "I don't know." We didn't beat him that time, but 10 minutes later I got a full Greatsword charge on that tail and saw it flop right out and on to the ground. We both roared in disbelief at it.

Just yesterday I got to the final boss of Monster Hunter World. He is sort of like Fatalis, sort of like a Lagiacrus with wings, and sort of like an Alatreon. Except that he's gigantic. Don't get excited - he's not fun to fight at all. Biggest waste of time this side of the Jhen Mohran. But I did spend 30 minutes whacking that enormous tail until it inevitably flopped onto the ground, like he was just a G. Ludroth.

All of us with cutting weapons know in our heart of hearts that the most fun part of this game is getting that tail to come off. Everything else is just gravy.
I don't remember what my first tail cut was, but I remember the feeling - "HOLY SHIT" (in all caps in my mind).

The magic-pixel, no-potions-left hunts are great, but there's also something to the hunts where you positively wreck a monster. "Well, we cut the tail, broke his back, but that Diablos still has one horn left..."

This game just brings out our inner savage.

[...but this is where I come back and acknowledge that I'm playing, depending on how you enjoy hunting, maybe 70% of XX, tops? I'm not planning armor. Or weapons. Or gems. Or farming. I only understand one of my specials (the super dodge is a lifesaver, though). Ancient potion and mega nutrients aren't even on my radar. I'm here for the combat alone.]

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
* taps fingers impatiently * Really wishing this game was released in the West already... I am itching for some hunts with you guys, idealy with all the stuff I worked on in generations.

Also seems like as good a time as any to bring up this classic gif.

Goodtwin

ETs post was very well thought out. I was starting to think about getting the import version, but I have come to the conclusion it would frustrate me a bit to much, and I simply have too much to play to grind it out. I am playing Bayonetta 2 right now, Bayonetta after that, probably getting Payday 2 later this month, still have much of the Champions Ballad dlc to finish, and probably another dozen hours of Skyforce Reloaded. All things I will really enjoy. So I think I am in the same boat as Koenig, if hell freezes over and Capcom localized XX, I will be there, but as it stands I have to pass.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

EvilTw1n

Small quality-of-life improvement: you remember how you had to spam A to gather, mine, carve, etc.? Now you just hold it down instead of pressing A, watching the kneel animation, watching the stand up animation, and pressing A again. Works for combining items, too. This is how MonHun keeps improving - iteration. There's always a couple of little changes. Makes me jealous of @Juegos and all of the little improvements that are in World.

Also, after about 10 hours of fumbling through, what has two thumbs and is in high rank?

ETs post was very well thought out. I was starting to think about getting the import version, but I have come to the conclusion it would frustrate me a bit to much, and I simply have too much to play to grind it out. I am playing Bayonetta 2 right now, Bayonetta after that, probably getting Payday 2 later this month, still have much of the Champions Ballad dlc to finish, and probably another dozen hours of Skyforce Reloaded. All things I will really enjoy. So I think I am in the same boat as Koenig, if hell freezes over and Capcom localized XX, I will be there, but as it stands I have to pass.
If you wanted to get it, I'd play Obi-Wan and help you out (like @FriedShoes and @mattavelle1 are helping me out), but there really are some issues that drag it down. I just did a gathering quest where I gathered at every available spot for 20 minutes, and didn't get the item I was looking for. So I went back to base, went to the red chest, screen-capped and translated what I needed, googled it, watched a video (you have to interrupt a brontosaurus-looking thing while it's eating a tree; the shiny drop is the ancient nut you need), and then knocked out the quest.

My farm isn't up and running because all of the palicoes I see aren't letting me recruit them. The farm is located in a part of down with a bunch of little shop/hubs, but I have no effing clue what any of them are for. My ingredients list is laughable and I don't know which quests will improve them to get better food boosts. Hell, I don't know what the food boosts even do (I'm just trying to get more health and stamina). I had to fumble through menus with Fried's help to get my palico to come along with me on a hunt. It took me 20-30 minutes last night to figure out how to set up an online room (ZL, first line of the second sub-menu, last option, click A then over twice then A again, then open the room with the pass code you make). The Kanji/Katakana/Hiragana is pretty small and isn't any more comprehensible, despite being in menus and looking at it for a few hours now. Since you don't get icons when you gather, only onscreen text, you never know if you're actually gathering what you need.

Pretty much ALL of the ancillary stuff to MonHun - paying attention to armor slots, gems, elemental weaknesses/strengths, talismans, more complex potions and nutrients, farming, food ingredients, etc. etc. etc. - is either not happening or is a challenge to do.

But man...it's still really freakin' good.

There are a ton of monsters and quests. They've revamped all of the areas - it's an amazing feeling to walk through Moga Woods and get the nostalgia kick, plus see all of the little ledges and hill-y topography they've added from the 4 generation. It looks impressive. And it's a darn good challenge. I'm not even a great hunter, but I felt like 4U felt a little light up front. XX gives you a few easy hunts, but low rank will kick your damn ass in short order. Maybe it's because I don't have good armor, but this feels like a step up in difficulty.

That's the problem with this game. It's damn good. But it's going to be so frustrating to anyone who wants the full MonHun experience (and it's doubly frustrating because this is supposed to be the anniversary game, the one with all of the trimmings and bells and whistles and good parts from each generation of MH, but you won't even get to appreciate all of those things because of the language barrier). I'm divided. I can't in good conscience really recommend it - most people probably shouldn't buy this. But I can also say I'm kinda pissed I waited this long to buy it, because it's great.

EvilTw1n

20 hours in, less than a week. That's a lot for an old like me. You can probably subtract 5 or 6 hours of playing offline in village quests that aren't necessary. Game is crack, man. MonHun always is. Stray observations:

-If you had the over/under at 20 hours for how long village armor would last in the game, you win. I'm on HR5, with the urgent for HR6 ready. Full food boost health is routinely getting knocked back by 3/4 from a good hit. It's one shot and you're on the cart without a food boost. I could have made some better armor pieces by now, but I can limp through to HR6. No further, though; this is about as far as Rare 2 stuff will take you. That means the hard part starts now: making armor that can survive the beginning of G rank.

-Got the farm up and running. I was going up to Palico camps and trying to recruit them like in 4U. Nope. Matt told me you buy them at camp.

-Fooled around with Aerial Style. There are two types of people in the world: those that bitch about it, and those that have fun with it. You lose DPS with aerial. You gain flash and it's fun. That's the main reason to use it. It's silly fun. But it does open up deeper play styles, too. With dual blades, and whatever style I picked before, it was the usual fare; I knew what I was doing, non-aerial didn't have archdemon mode, but you get the X+A long combo (Demon Dance). With aerial style, you don't get the X+A long combo, but you get archdemon mode. So you're constantly balancing your stamina and staying in the rhythm. Initiate demon, fill bar, sheathe, unsheathe spin attack, dodge up, attack in air, land, dodge up, initiate demon in air, attack down, finish combo, dodge out. It's really satisfying to get it right, because you burn through stamina faster than ever and it's easy to get caught with a depleted bar. But...it is a lot of flash for less damage, and I do see how some players could see it being obnoxious because it can be distracting (the same way it got old seeing people spam the pole vault on the insect glaive). I'll probably switch back to normal stuff tomorrow. It's a neat experiment, and the ridiculously long dodge is kinda funny, but it makes XX feel a bit like a more conventional action game.

-Fuck the Plesioth? Fuck the Plesioth.

-Seeing some of these old maps is killing my feels. There's one we played tonight that I would've sworn was in 3U, but I can't put my finger on it. They've added just enough, and changed the colors and lighting in some places just that little bit, to make them feel distinct. You get nostalgic but can't exactly place it.

-There's a ** village quest that I can't initiate. It's locking all of my offline progress. Fried mentioned to me that you have to play it as a cat. I looked at the menu, and sure enough, there's a little paw on that one. The little clues are there for you in this game. I've mostly gotten through without too much trouble, but it's so easy to overlook these little things. The perils of importing are real.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
20 hours in, less than a week. That's a lot for an old like me. You can probably subtract 5 or 6 hours of playing offline in village quests that aren't necessary. Game is crack, man. MonHun always is. Stray observations:

-If you had the over/under at 20 hours for how long village armor would last in the game, you win. I'm on HR5, with the urgent for HR6 ready. Full food boost health is routinely getting knocked back by 3/4 from a good hit. It's one shot and you're on the cart without a food boost. I could have made some better armor pieces by now, but I can limp through to HR6. No further, though; this is about as far as Rare 2 stuff will take you. That means the hard part starts now: making armor that can survive the beginning of G rank.

-Got the farm up and running. I was going up to Palico camps and trying to recruit them like in 4U. Nope. Matt told me you buy them at camp.

-Fooled around with Aerial Style. There are two types of people in the world: those that bitch about it, and those that have fun with it. You lose DPS with aerial. You gain flash and it's fun. That's the main reason to use it. It's silly fun. But it does open up deeper play styles, too. With dual blades, and whatever style I picked before, it was the usual fare; I knew what I was doing, non-aerial didn't have archdemon mode, but you get the X+A long combo (Demon Dance). With aerial style, you don't get the X+A long combo, but you get archdemon mode. So you're constantly balancing your stamina and staying in the rhythm. Initiate demon, fill bar, sheathe, unsheathe spin attack, dodge up, attack in air, land, dodge up, initiate demon in air, attack down, finish combo, dodge out. It's really satisfying to get it right, because you burn through stamina faster than ever and it's easy to get caught with a depleted bar. But...it is a lot of flash for less damage, and I do see how some players could see it being obnoxious because it can be distracting (the same way it got old seeing people spam the pole vault on the insect glaive). I'll probably switch back to normal stuff tomorrow. It's a neat experiment, and the ridiculously long dodge is kinda funny, but it makes XX feel a bit like a more conventional action game.

-Fuck the Plesioth? Fuck the Plesioth.

-Seeing some of these old maps is killing my feels. There's one we played tonight that I would've sworn was in 3U, but I can't put my finger on it. They've added just enough, and changed the colors and lighting in some places just that little bit, to make them feel distinct. You get nostalgic but can't exactly place it.

-There's a ** village quest that I can't initiate. It's locking all of my offline progress. Fried mentioned to me that you have to play it as a cat. I looked at the menu, and sure enough, there's a little paw on that one. The little clues are there for you in this game. I've mostly gotten through without too much trouble, but it's so easy to overlook these little things. The perils of importing are real.
I totally agree especially with this last one. There are so many visual clues in this game it’s pretty unreal. And really we would not have even noticed those details in the fine print had we been able to read the menus. When I went thru HR6 with @FriedShoes we talked quite a bit about the visual cues in the game. The paw print in the vial age quest, the woman that sales Palicos actually has them loaded on the back of an alpacha, every level you hunt on is in the background of the hunting card on the bottom right hand corner etc etc.

As I said last night MH is my video game pussy, and I gots to have that. I’m also very ready to make my first armor and weapon on HR6 then onto G rank.

Koenig

The Architect
Cat quests can die in a fire. They aren't bad, but the fact that you HAVE to play a cat is what pisses me off. Part of the reason why I like MH is because it lets you play any weapon or style you want, for any quest you want. The Meownster Hunter quests fly in blatant defiance of that rule.

PS: I am just a little salty/hurt that none of you played generations with me when it came out. I miss playing MH with you guys.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Cat quests can die in a fire. They aren't bad, but the fact that you HAVE to play a cat is what pisses me off. Part of the reason why I like MH is because it lets you play any weapon or style you want, for any quest you want. The Meownster Hunter quests fly in blatant defiance of that rule.

PS: I am just a little salty/hurt that none of you played generations with me when it came out. I miss playing MH with you guys.
No G rank no buy it’s not personal. I was burnt out after 4U

EvilTw1n

No G rank no buy it’s not personal. I was burnt out after 4U
With 800 or so hours you have in 4U, I don't call that getting burnt out. That's not even roasted out. That is outright boiling out.
I don't think I took the MonHun plunge until well after 3U launched on Wii U; probably sometime in 2014. So I played it throughout the year, then bought 4U when it launched in 2015, and played it into 2016.

I can usually only put about 200 hours into a game, tops, before I move on. I did that with both 3U and 4U, back-to-back, and I just wasn't up for yet more MonHun in 2016 when Generations launched. I pretty much took half of 2016 and all of 2017 off for hunting.

So yeah, for me, I needed time to go play other types of games. I'm lucky to complete 5 or 6 games a year, and sinking all free time into MH stops me from doing things like finally beating Xenoblade, or playing TMS#FE.

EvilTw1n

I know I've raved on XX, but the game does have some faults. It isn't all milkshakes and handjobs.

-This weapons upgrade system didn't sound good on paper (you can argue it offers more flexibility, but it's also another step in menu hunter). It's less than ideal in practice. It's confusing as hell in Engrish. Long-term, this might work out better. But breaking it in is a bit of a climb.

-A few of the zone loads are straight bullshit. On some maps, there is no obvious narrowing of the landscape to give you visual cues that you're about to jump between areas. I've unsheathed to go into an attack and ended up in an empty area more times than I care to count.

-It seems like some of these monsters really weren't designed to be in some of these areas. Marshland/Swamps, in addition to having a shitty zone partition, has a narrow section in zone 8. Put a Duramboros in there, and it can be impossible to make out his tells. I got one-shotted by him because he was up against a wall and he did his launch attack, which usually, y'know, launches him. But he was up against a wall, so it looks like he was taking one step back...and put me on the cart.

-Bullfangos have always been aggressive, but FFS.

...but still. The hunt is like nothing else in gaming.

Last edited:

Koenig

The Architect
My least favorite in terms of map design is probably the Jurassic Frontier, simply because Monsters can freely move between the rest of the map and area's 9-11 at a whim while players HAVE to traverse through 8 then 9 to even reach the location; even the exit from is a one way street, making it a pain in the ass to get back there.

Even if a monster is paintballed, by the time you get to area 11, there is good chance they are going to bail and jump back to area 6 (Looking aat you, Rajang!).

Granted, this is from my experience with generations; I do not know if they changed the map for XX.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Alright guys I need to talk about this and make it right.

There is a post in here when I talked about for me its shameful to walk outta the area and pop a heal or sharpen. Let me say these things then I address some things in my post.

@Koenig I had not played generations, and I didn't realize what ridiculousness lay ahead on me in MHXX. Leaving or getting knocked into a different area is literally a Godsend in this game. I don't know how other to say it other than this game is beyond savage and it is complete a viable method for staying alive in this game. I am sorry for what I said if it offended you, I had never played that way in a MH game before MHXX.:mthumb:

@EvilTw1n we have been living this game for the past few weeks. Even tho I had never thought or used it as a strategy for staying alive, I would be a damn fool for not leaving and trying my damnedest to stay alive. If i offended you in any way I am sorry that was never my intent.:mthumb:

This game is not only IMO the hardest MH I have ever experienced, but its also the most likely to screw you outta know where and get rekt by something you wasn't even paying attention to. We have made in to HR6 limping in for real, but making it. But in ANY of these hunts, as soon as the big monster leaves normally you would potion, sharpen etc etc. Nah not in this game, the big monster leaves and the little monsters come right in to "shoooooo" you outta the area.........no sharpens, no heals unless your under duress. Its a whole lot more stressful not that that is good or bad, but at the least it is annoying how aggressive the environments are. @Juegos it would be awesome if this was a 2 man hunt kinda game, but @FriedShoes and @EvilTw1n and myself will tell you that while it can be done. EVER 2 man hunt has not even been close to being that fun. There super hard and in this game it feels like 3 man is the new 2 man. Its a brutal fight for all 3 but the monster still has a pretty good shot at winning. This game is the most savage :mfurry:

Outside of that and a ton that ET mentioned, its got the greatest hunts / monsters at some of the most awesome locations! I made a whole armor outside of one piece and my weapon also. Its been amazing hunting with @EvilTw1n and @FriedShoes and there just starting to get really good:msrs:

Koenig

The Architect
So what do ya think of the Glavenous and Mizutesune? (The T-Rex and Bubble Fox respectively)? I can only guess that they are heavily downplayed compared to the new Flagship monster for XX, but they were my favorite two from Generations.

Koenig

The Architect
which is the new one, the electric bug or the mammoth?
I like them all, very fun and smart and good looking monsters.
Neither. Those two and the two I mentioned were the Four flagship monsters for Generations (One for each village). I guess the new flagship monster is a G rank one you guys may not have encountered yet, so I won't bother to spoil (Although I have mentioned it in this thread before back when I thought the game was getting a port in a timely fashion)

oh right, the one on the cover. durrr. Havent really fought it yet aside from one village encounter which was basically like "nah dawg, you just run back to base and go to camp run dude!"

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So what do ya think of the Glavenous and Mizutesune? (The T-Rex and Bubble Fox respectively)? I can only guess that they are heavily downplayed compared to the new Flagship monster for XX, but they were my favorite two from Generations.
Hard, super hard but really awesome!

EvilTw1n

So last night I got smashed by a Duramboros against that damn wall in the swamp. He went right into his spin while I was pinned there. Hit me three times (I think), then as I was getting up, I was about a second from panic dodging, but I watched the shadow in the air track me, then land on top of me.

Then I saw a Zinogre do...not 1...not 2...not 3....not 4...not 5...but 6 stomps in a row. Because he really wanted to kill Matt or Fried.

This is after we watched some monster last week absolutely refuse to step in a shock trap. Came right up to it over and over for like two minutes, but then spun the hell out of that zone and left.

I'm not sure if the MonHun understudies were outright trying to make these monsters dickheads, or if it was an accident. Either way, these monsters are out-and-out cocks.
@EvilTw1n we have been living this game for the past few weeks. Even tho I had never thought or used it as a strategy for staying alive, I would be a damn fool for not leaving and trying my damnedest to stay alive. If i offended you in any way I am sorry that was never my intent.:mthumb:
Water under the bridge, my friend. I was being a bastard, anyways.
This game is not only IMO the hardest MH I have ever experienced, but its also the most likely to screw you outta know where and get rekt by something you wasn't even paying attention to.
I had been wondering if the game really is this much harder, or if it was just our crappy armor.

After watching the Zinogre do what he did? When you had as good an armor as the game will give you at this point? It really is pretty damn savage in high rank. I've mainlined 40 hours, and I can't wait to see what G-rank is like.
I am still so salty that this does not have a US release yet. Fuck I want to do hunts with you guys again.
You're just going to have to learn Japanese, same as me.

I'd give this game a firm recommendation were it not for all of the stuff I know I'm missing out on. I'm not messing with hunting styles because I don't want to keep re-translating the menus after I go try things out. I'm not messing with anything else palicoes can do. There's a bunch of other stuff in my farming area...but hell if I know what it's about. If I have to go gather or mine for something, I almost never know if I'm getting what I need (pause, check for green mineral, keep mining). If this game has any semblance of a plot, it's lost on me (but I never read Playboy for the articles, either). For armor and weapons, I'm just killing the same things a few times and hoping it makes something good...which is why I'm rocking some Kafka armor right now.

It's Monster Hunter, so of course it's good. But think of how incomprehensible and dense the game is to a newcomer. Now put yourself in those shoes and put the menus in another language that looks like drawings of people and broken coffee tables. That's XX.

But...shit, man. It's good.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
So last night I got smashed by a Duramboros against that damn wall in the swamp. He went right into his spin while I was pinned there. Hit me three times (I think), then as I was getting up, I was about a second from panic dodging, but I watched the shadow in the air track me, then land on top of me.

Then I saw a Zinogre do...not 1...not 2...not 3....not 4...not 5...but 6 stomps in a row. Because he really wanted to kill Matt or Fried.

This is after we watched some monster last week absolutely refuse to step in a shock trap. Came right up to it over and over for like two minutes, but then spun the hell out of that zone and left.

I'm not sure if the MonHun understudies were outright trying to make these monsters dickheads, or if it was an accident. Either way, these monsters are out-and-out cocks.

Water under the bridge, my friend. I was being a bastard, anyways.

I had been wondering if the game really is this much harder, or if it was just our crappy armor.

After watching the Zinogre do what he did? When you had as good an armor as the game will give you at this point? It really is pretty damn savage in high rank. I've mainlined 40 hours, and I can't wait to see what G-rank is like.

I'd give this game a firm recommendation were it not for all of the stuff I know I'm missing out on. I'm not messing with hunting styles because I don't want to keep re-translating the menus after I go try things out. I'm not messing with anything else palicoes can do. There's a bunch of other stuff in my farming area...but hell if I know what it's about. If I have to go gather or mine for something, I almost never know if I'm getting what I need (pause, check for green mineral, keep mining). If this game has any semblance of a plot, it's lost on me (but I never read Playboy for the articles, either). For armor and weapons, I'm just killing the same things a few times and hoping it makes something good...which is why I'm rocking some Kafka armor right now.

It's Monster Hunter, so of course it's good. But think of how incomprehensible and dense the game is to a newcomer. Now put yourself in those shoes and put the menus in another language that looks like drawings of people and broken coffee tables. That's XX.

But...shit, man. It's good.
It’s so good, but it’s so damn savage. Well said all around ET.

Koenig

The Architect
I do NOT like how the Zinogre's claw attack home in on you morso than they did in the older games. I loved simply rolling to dodge, but having to perfectly time it to do so; now I have to shield or panic dive to get out of range. /minor nitpick/

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I do NOT like how the Zinogre's claw attack home in on you morso than they did in the older games. I loved simply rolling to dodge, but having to perfectly time it to do so; now I have to shield or panic dive to get out of range. /minor nitpick/
Nah your totally right and I have noticed it. The regular dodge can get you rekt if it’s not perfect. It’s much less forgiving that previous MH.

No wonder they went more casual with MHW. After this one there’s no where to go but even more hardcore, or casualize it down.

Koenig

The Architect
Tell ya what; if you guys find a way to reliable transfer my save data from the US localized version of MH Generations to MHXX, I will bite the bullet and play MHXX (Japanese), or at least try to anyways.

EvilTw1n

Had a really good hunt going against a damn big Mizutsune (henceforth General Tso). Except for the end of the battle.

I got freaking griefed out of carves.

By a Devil Jho.

Who ate my carves.

I've seen it all now.

Koenig

The Architect
Had a really good hunt going against a damn big Mizutsune (henceforth General Tso). Except for the end of the battle.

I got freaking griefed out of carves.

By a Devil Jho.

Who ate my carves.

I've seen it all now.
I can't help but feel this is somewhat relevant...

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Also worth noting: after the buff pose to end the quest, the Jho really did go back to eating the carcass. As Matt said, that dude was outta his mind.
Worth noting. I thought I also wouldn’t get my carves..........but as the video showed and ET was held down I got mine in.