Monster Hunter XX

Basics about styles (minus Brave and Alchemy) and weapon specific arts. They added some new weapon-specific arts for MHXX as well. Those dont have descriptions here, but most are self explanatory.
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MHGen:_Hunter_Arts
http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/MHXX:_Hunter_Arts
Some arts, usually weapon-specific ones, are upgradeable by completing certain quests.

You can find the style and arts menu here in your house box:

This is the style menu, where you can change your hunting style. From top to bottom: Guild, Striker, Aerial, Adept/Bushido, Brave, and Alchemy.

Equipping a style will bring you to the Arts menu, where you'll see 1 to 3 available slots that you can place arts in (number depends on the style you use).

You want to kinda limit yourself to using weapon-specific ones or the Absolute Evasion arts, the rest are pretty throwaway. The last few arts in the menus are always weapon-specific, and the first art is always Absolute Evasion. There is another evasion art, Absolute Readiness, which can be easily unlocked by doing a specific quest. It will then appear right below the Absolute Evasion art.
Both evasion arts charge up quickly, so they're very useful.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
I had the most satisfying tail cut of all time last night. Off the top rope, one slash, Deviljho as the target. Wish I had done the vid capture (haven't even tried that on Switch).

EvilTw1n

Y'know, now that I'm pretty used to the menus and not understanding anything, there's only one thing that's kinda bothering me with XX: the hit boxes. They might be the worst of any MonHun game I've played. The long sword spirit combo only needs to land the last shot to go up, and they've added a circle animation (perhaps it was there before, but it's bolder now, I think) to show you the attack radius. I keep landing that last shot on the feet of Raths, and it's not registering. Nor does landing it on a tail while they're in flight. The over-head slash can land square in the middle of a shadow that a monster's head is casting, but it's still landing in the dirt - which means I might as well stand under the damn monster.

First-world problems, but tbh, me, Matt, and Fried are playing at a pretty high level these days, so I'm noticing these little details more.

EvilTw1n

Well, I finally made my first set of matched armor. And I'm kinda stupidly proud of it. Really thought that I'd be using weird-ass Kafka-looking armor the whole time, but I made the chest and arms for the Nakarkos (blue) purely by accident. And then the rest of the set just happened to be in a convenient-to-find spot in the armor menu list. I didn't even translate the pages; it was obvious these pieces fit together.

It's technically a high-rank armor set, I think, but with enough upgrades, it's not completely outmatched in G3.

You thought you were taking away my MonHun, Capcom, but you just made the reward that much sweeter by making me do it all in Japanese.

EvilTw1n

Also I can't believe I was wrong. Fuck Capcom

I ain't mad, just disappointed. Had a damn good time playing with you and Matt for 200 hours. It was like playing MH while solving a puzzle at the same time. Only a couple of key quests in high-G left until we're done with the game. I just can't see myself re-buying it at this point, which sucks, because this conceivably splits up our crew, with new folks coming in.

But, like we talked about in Discord, if we're lucky we might still be able to play together. If region-free means one ROM for each game, we'd technically still all be playing the same thing.

Yeah, I would love it if they release an English patch, but I'm not holding my breath. THE LEAST I can hope for is that they dont region lock the multiplayer servers. I'll stick with my XX if they can do that for me, pls dont make me fork over extra money, you Capfucks

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
Ok I’m at work and don’t have a chance to read the article now.

Cliffs? From what I gather no more us using the Japan internet?

Did it get English version?

Koenig

The Architect
I am so glad I can transfer my generations data. Although I am a bit sad that you all have already spoiled the G rank for yourselves with XX. I was really hoping to engage these beasts with you guys on equal footing. Oh well, I guess will just have to wrangle in a few more noobies to join the MH crew!

Koenig

The Architect
Meownster Hunters are broken over powered and weeabo infested rolled into one. (That, and the fact that they are the only weapon class that you are REQUIRED to use if you want to complete all quests.)

I hate them.

EvilTw1n

I've been carried by japanese prowlers, absolute god-tier shit
Sometimes I read something and it's so internet that I have to remember that a casual passerby would have no clue what the hell we're talking about.
Pretty please, Capcom, don't split up the matchmaking servers. I ain't re-buying this, and a simple English-language patch is too logical for you, but just don't eff up the matchmaking. That's all I'm asking for at this point.

It is a damn shame that we are not getting the 3DS version of the game. It will severely limit the potential players base.
I doubt it. But we do know why they aren't releasing it on 3DS right?
It's cause of the paid online. Would be mixed messaging to have MHGU paid on Switch and free on 3DS.

Koenig

The Architect
I doubt it. But we do know why they aren't releasing it on 3DS right?
It's cause of the paid online. Would be mixed messaging to have MHGU paid on Switch and free on 3DS.
but won't that be the exact same issue for the XX versions of the game when Nintendo paywall goes up later this year?

but won't that be the exact same issue for the XX versions of the game when Nintendo paywall goes up later this year?
Damn, you got a point.
I don't know then. Idk if it's a Capcom decision, as I was going under the assumption that Nintendo basically made this happen.
Worth noting that XX has been out for much longer than XX Switch. There might be an interest in continuing to sell MH as a console game rather than a portable series. Idk. But I also don't care, Switch is the way to go.

Goodtwin

That is fine with me. MH Tri Ultimate on Wii U ran with an unlocked framerate where it mostly ran in the low 40's. I will take the more consistent update of a solid 30fps every time. The visuals look pretty similar to what Ultimate did on Wii U, and I was always fine with that. There is something to be said for very clean visuals, even if it means being very dated. The MH experience for me was always about the concept. Managing your inventory, making strategic decisions, upgrading your gear and so forth. The graphics are not what makes a MH game great, or bad, and World just seemed to be making a bigger push to sell itself based on those merits than they ever did in the past. I was always fine with World on coming to Switch, but when XX was announced and then found out it wasn't going to be localized that was just crazy. So here we are months down the road, @FriedShoes won another bet because Capcom sat on their laurels waiting to announce the localized version.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
I wanna approach a subject from a diff angle.

What if Capcom knew the household name it could push MH to be with World and we know the sales figures.

Instead of sending MHGUnit out to die, it’s now a much more accepted brand and just judging from our Discord the name alone holds weight with newcomers.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
I put up with 240p at sub 30fps for hundreds of hours with MH4U, so this is still a big improvement over that. I just don't understand why they went for resolution over framerate.

To me 60 fps are essential in action games. I always wished I had a New 3DS so I could play MH4U with a better framerate (and a PS4Pro for MHW), and I never liked that MH3U didn't really improve the framerate much from MHTri. I thought for sure now that MHXX/MHGU was going to have plenty of room to breath that the devs would choose 60fps instead of 1080p. For me it's a question of input latency and fluidity. In a game like this where you have a few 60ths of a second to time dodges, I value my frames.

Koenig

The Architect
I would not mind 30 FPS if we still were getting a 3DS version of the game (and could play with them), but beyond that there is not really a good reason for Switch version of the game to not run at 60 FPS. I suspect that the 30 FPS limit is baked into the games design for compatibility reasons, reasons which the west simply will not benefit from if the a 3DS version does not come out.

I am still getting the game you, but it is just a shame.

EvilTw1n

-"There is no story. It's a hunting tool."
-"It takes awhile to rev up."
-"The maps are flat and have one campsite. The focus is more one-on-one versus a monster."
-"There is no switching gear or weapons or accessing your item box. Going in prepared is very much part of this game."
-"G-rank does not scale depending on if you have 1 or 4 players. There is no S.O.S."
-"Event quests are there forever."

Yadda, yadda, yadda. Stuff everyone here already knows.

theMightyME

Owner of The Total Screen
I put up with 240p at sub 30fps for hundreds of hours with MH4U, so this is still a big improvement over that. I just don't understand why they went for resolution over framerate.

To me 60 fps are essential in action games. I always wished I had a New 3DS so I could play MH4U with a better framerate (and a PS4Pro for MHW), and I never liked that MH3U didn't really improve the framerate much from MHTri. I thought for sure now that MHXX/MHGU was going to have plenty of room to breath that the devs would choose 60fps instead of 1080p. For me it's a question of input latency and fluidity. In a game like this where you have a few 60ths of a second to time dodges, I value my frames.
But do you still need to use "The claw"

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
But do you still need to use "The claw"
Always have, always will. This is also how I play Dark Souls, and pretty much any game in which it's important to move my character, the camera, and aim my attacks at the same time.

To go on a small tangential rank, I really want people to stop thinking of a controller as a device that you have to hold with your thumbs on the sticks all the time. Your hands are free to move around and do whatever they want around the controller, as long as it's not causing you to drop it. Look at how a Street Fighter champion uses his controller:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/7ugpkx/menard_using_controller/

His right thumb and fingers move freely around the face and shoulder buttons. He's not just doing it for style points, of course; he has to double-tap buttons, do pianos, negative edges, and empty buffers and other option selects. He wouldn't be able to do any of these things if he stuck to using only his thumb for the face buttons and his index and middle fingers for the shoulder buttons. If he were using an Xbox elite controller with paddles in the back, he'd have to come up with different finger techniques to achieve the same results, too.