Monster Hunter XX

Goodtwin

I know I am late to the party on this one, been busy lately, but have had this opinion for many weeks. I would assume resolution came easy here, and a bump from 30fps to 60fps would have been a bit more problematic. We have to remember that this port, even though coming late to the West, is firmly rooted in Capcoms early cautious nature concerning Switch. Basically, they weren't convinced Switch would be anything more than another Wii U, and went in with minimal investment opportunities like Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Monster Hunter XX in Japan. Fast forward to today, and Switch is a big success, but Capcom didn't know that when deciding to port XX to Switch. The west is just getting that low cost port much later.

I also think perhaps Capcom was hoping to expand Monster Hunters appeal in the West with World, and by releasing Generations Ultimate later, perhaps could draw in even more users to the Switch build of Generations Ultimate. If they had released XX in the west first, perhaps it would have actually diminished some of Worlds impact.

I do think that now that Switch is a proven platform, MH will most likely continue to evolve as it did on 3DS. Worlds may have given birth to a new flavor of MH, but if the originally formula can continue to produce, I double Capcom would opt out of what is basically easy money.

Koenig

The Architect
I know I am late to the party on this one, been busy lately, but have had this opinion for many weeks. I would assume resolution came easy here, and a bump from 30fps to 60fps would have been a bit more problematic. We have to remember that this port, even though coming late to the West, is firmly rooted in Capcoms early cautious nature concerning Switch. Basically, they weren't convinced Switch would be anything more than another Wii U, and went in with minimal investment opportunities like Ultra Street Fighter 2 and Monster Hunter XX in Japan. Fast forward to today, and Switch is a big success, but Capcom didn't know that when deciding to port XX to Switch. The west is just getting that low cost port much later.

I also think perhaps Capcom was hoping to expand Monster Hunters appeal in the West with World, and by releasing Generations Ultimate later, perhaps could draw in even more users to the Switch build of Generations Ultimate. If they had released XX in the west first, perhaps it would have actually diminished some of Worlds impact.

I do think that now that Switch is a proven platform, MH will most likely continue to evolve as it did on 3DS. Worlds may have given birth to a new flavor of MH, but if the originally formula can continue to produce, I double Capcom would opt out of what is basically easy money.
Although I would argue that the impact MHXX would have had on MHW would be negligible compared to the sales generated by early switch owners and Nintendo fans buying MHXX for the system. Releasing this late on the other hand has definitely lost a decent chunk of the potential market.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
Although I would argue that the impact MHXX would have had on MHW would be negligible compared to the sales generated by early switch owners and Nintendo fans buying MHXX for the system. Releasing this late on the other hand has definitely lost a decent chunk of the potential market.
Personally I think it’s gonna be right to opposite Koenig. I think by releasing MHW first, and the name that game has established for the franchise. That MORE people will pick up MHXX on the Switch because “oh man we’re getting a MH game”. The switch can be casual and a lot of gamers just go by name franchises. With the hype of world I think a lot of first time MH will pick up XX alone based on name.

Personally I think it’s gonna be right to opposite Koenig. I think by releasing MHW first, and the name that game has established for the franchise. That MORE people will pick up MHXX on the Switch because “oh man we’re getting a MH game”. The switch can be casual and a lot of gamers just go by name franchises. With the hype of world I think a lot of first time MH will pick up XX alone based on name.
You might be right, but every article on this game is saying "this game is nothing like World, you might hate it"
All the prep World might have given a new player will be wiped by views and impressions like this.

mattavelle1

IT’S GOT A DEATH RAY!
I can’t argue either of those things good points.

I will stick with tho this game will sell “some extra” just because it is a MH name.

Koenig

The Architect

I am still split. I want to get physical, as MH is the kind of game I want to have a case for an be able to lend to my friends, but I would certainly like to have it digitally so that I can have it at all times.

Goodtwin

Looking forward to this game. My early part of summer has been crazy busy, so by time August rolls around I will be ready for some chillin while playing MH with my dudes.

Goodtwin

The best part is my dudes will be able to guide me the whole time. Its great being the new guy, benefiting from all that experience surrounding me.