Monster Hunter XX

Koenig

The Architect
True, although half the fun of Monster Hunter is learning it for yourself. Few things compared to getting slaughtered by a monster again and again, only to learn from experience and topple the beast the next time.

Also, 71 days left!

Odo

True, although half the fun of Monster Hunter is learning it for yourself. Few things compared to getting slaughtered by a monster again and again, only to learn from experience and topple the beast the next time.

Also, 71 days left!
It's true. I've been there.

Koenig

The Architect
I am trying to grind out the Dreadking Rathelos gear before Ultiamte comes out, but I am having trouble finding people to do it with.

Last edited:

sjmartin79

White Phoenix of the Crown
Thanks to Monster Hunter for the PS4, Steve2 is now a Monster Hunter fan. He just bought Monster Hunter 4 for the 3DS, and is pre-ordering the one for the Switch.

Koenig

The Architect
Thanks to Monster Hunter for the PS4, Steve2 is now a Monster Hunter fan. He just bought Monster Hunter 4 for the 3DS, and is pre-ordering the one for the Switch.
What are his thoughts on MH4 after playing MHW first? I can imagine it might be pretty rough going back to the mainline series after all of the quality of life improvements MHW made.

sjmartin79

What are his thoughts on MH4 after playing MHW first? I can imagine it might be pretty rough going back to the mainline series after all of the quality of life improvements MHW made.
I'll find out this evening. He just started 4 today. He has a few days off work, so he was playing 4 today as I was leaving for work.

sjmartin79

I’m gonna give this time to develop. But I am waiting to heard what the thoughts and opinions are on this.
Right now, MH Worlds is winning, because the controls on the 3DS aren't his favorite. Mainly the camera stuff.
He's loving the games, but the 3DS controls are lessening the enjoyment for that.
He also said that they should have just called it Dinosaur Hunter, because that's what all the "monsters" seem to be.

mattavelle1

Crunk Ain’t Dead!!!
Right now, MH Worlds is winning, because the controls on the 3DS aren't his favorite. Mainly the camera stuff.
He's loving the games, but the 3DS controls are lessening the enjoyment for that.
He also said that they should have just called it Dinosaur Hunter, because that's what all the "monsters" seem to be.
After playing MH3U on WiiU with a traditional controller. And then goin to 4U on the 3DS, I feel that. Because it’s not even close in terms of havin 2 analog sticks, and the 3DS is flat. I’ve been so much happier with MHXX just for the fact I can play with a pro controller. Definitely can feel him on this complaint especially after goin from the big screen down to 3DS.

Now I’m wanting to know what he will think about MHGU since it’s tragical controls and back on the big screen.

Koenig

The Architect
What kind of 3DS does he have? If it is the original or XL version, I HIGHLY recommend importing a "boat" to play Monster Hunter.

The second circle pad makes the game infinitely easier to control.

EvilTw1n

Even my henchmen think I'm crazy.
for MH4, what weapons do you suggest?
Asked by Steve 2
It's all about how you want to play. I'm always partial to Dual Blades (dps kings, getting to Demon/Archdemon mode is a great balancing act, and once you get there you can maul anything in your path), but tbh, it's pretty damn hard to top the Long Sword as an all-around-er. It can hit like a truck, has good mobility, gets you out of trouble with the fade slash, and has the spirit gauge to unleash unholy hell.

If us playing XX get to play with GU folks on the same servers, I kinda want to go back and try the Gunlance again. I was beginning to really enjoy that weapon in 4U.

sjmartin79

Steve2 says thank you! He’s going to try those out, and i’ll report back.

In MHW, his favorite is the Insect Glave, and I quote “I’m rocking that one.”

Koenig

The Architect
Steve2 says thank you! He’s going to try those out, and i’ll report back.

In MHW, his favorite is the Insect Glave, and I quote “I’m rocking that one.”
From that, I think he might also like Duel Blades and Charge Blade. The Duel blades is much more mobile and requires constants attacks to keep its energy meter charged and running, but in return get boosted movement and attack power.
The charge blade is much more complex, but is similar to the duel blades in that it requires charing up its own unique meters to maximize your damage and defense. It trades the duel blades mobility for higher offensive and defensive abilities.

As @EvilTw1n said though, its all about how you want to play. If you want to be right up in the monsters face with no form of defense? Duel blades/hammer/glaive. Do you want to be defensive and chip away at its health? The lances have you covered. Do you want to be in between the two, balancing offense and defense; waiting for the perfect moment to dodge in and strike for full damage? Charge blade/Great Sword/Long Sword have your bases covered.

simplyTravis

"A nice guy, but looks like a f'n Jedi!"
So Monster Hunter PC and Switch are releasing withing 9 days of each other. Who is getting which version at this point?

I'm leaning towards Switch because of y'all but that Monster Hunter World on PC could happen for me instead if there are enough people playing it.

Karkashan

Married to Chrom
So Monster Hunter PC and Switch are releasing withing 9 days of each other. Who is getting which version at this point?

I'm leaning towards Switch because of y'all but that Monster Hunter World on PC could happen for me instead if there are enough people playing it.
You mean 19 days?

I'll be getting both, and probably taking a week's vacation in either August or September to do a lot of grinding in either or both.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
This is the closest relevant thread.

Finally got back into Monster Hunter World and fought the Deviljho. What a beast. To be honest he isn't as difficult as people made him out to be (@mattavelle1 and I seasoned ourselves against the G-rank Apex Deviljho from MH4U, which is to me the absolute hardest monster I've fought yet), but in terms of his behavior, they made him just a touch more aggressive in a few ways. For example, if you trap him on a vine floor (probably also in a pitfall trap), he defends himself by breathing dragonfire even while trapped. When you stagger him by hitting him in the face, he immediately bites back after recoiling. He actually chases you across multiple rooms (I think only he and Bazelgeuse do this in spite of the "open" world). And if a "small" monster shows up in the area (think something the size of a Zinogre or a Great Jaggie) he will pick it up with his jaw and use it to smash you repeatedly, before throwing him at the you like a boulder.

So he's pretty cool, no doubt - he just never made me fail a quest. I hope G-rank does come out eventually, though, because that could make this new Deviljho a real nightmare.

By the way, his new music is not as good as the old one.

I think I like the Bazelgeuse theme better now.

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
@Juegos How do the Monster's health pools compare in MHW to previous MH games? I remember MH3U had a much higher health pool than MH4U.

Also, 47 days to go!
Somewhat on the low side, I guess. My Azure Rathalos Greatsword is on the second-to-last place of the upgrade tree, and even though fire isn't strong against Deviljho, it killed him in about 30 minutes of me not even being good at the fight. Same for Bazelgeuse. Same for the final boss, actually. But I will say that when my Greatsword was at one upgrade level lower and I didn't have Powertalon stacked on top of Powercharm I ran out of time against the final boss. So that little upgrade on top of being more efficient with my attacks shaved off 20 minutes of that hunt.