Moonbound, my Nintendo 3DS game, has been released in the American Nintendo eShop!

Tenzen78

Nintendo Developer
Hello everyone!

I'm Jouni Mutanen, an indie game developer from Tampere, Finland. I would like to announce that Moonbound, a Nintendo 3DS game that I've designed and developed, was released in America on December 16th 2021! Moonbound will be available ONLY for the Nintendo 3DS console as a downloadable game in the Nintendo eShop. The game will work on all models of the Nintendo 3DS console (Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL, Nintendo 2DS, New Nintendo 3DS, New Nintendo 3DS XL and New Nintendo 2DS XL).

Moonbound's Nintendo eShop information :

Moonbound is a challenging 2D arcade action game that forces the player to make quick decisions under pressure. The player controls an astronaut who is returning to Earth after completing a geological survey mission in the Beta Iridian solar system. The astronaut's ship is suddenly damaged by an explosion! The energy crystals that are used as the ship's main power source are ejected out of the ship and land on six different moons. The player must return all of the remaining crystals to the ship to be able to return to Earth.

Game features :
* Survive through over 30 levels of challenging 2D arcade action!
* Encounter different enemies and environmental hazards on six moons
* Two game modes - Story Mode and Arcade Mode
* Four difficulty levels - Easy, Normal, Hard and Hardcore
* Level selection - Start a new game at any level
* Music player - Listen to all of the game's music tracks

Number of players : 1 player
Supported languages : English
Age rating (USA & Canada, ESRB) : E - Everyone, Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Language

Release countries in America : USA, Canada, Mexico and Brazil
Price (USA) : $4.99

Links :

- Moonbound's American version on Nintendo.com : https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/moonbound-3ds/

- Public Dropbox link to the game's marketing assets (SPOILERS in the Spoiler_materials folder!) : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7thyv5ff6k5wsjn/AAASLJ9bjCe0tFwzWkMS3q9wa?dl=0

- Moonbound Official Website : http://www.moonbound-game.com/

- Moonbound's YouTube channel (Moonbound-game) : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR_dUZlWz0ZeP6whqkNgzvA

Moonbound's website is currently under construction. More screenshots, sprite animations, sound effects and marketing materials can be found in the Dropbox link. There's a lot more content coming to the YouTube channel including many gameplay videos and the game's full soundtrack. You can keep updated by subscribing to the Moonbound-game YouTube channel.

Moonbound's first gameplay video (Level 3-2 on Normal difficulty with captain James Aldrin) :

Moonbound is one of my dream projects. I love arcade games (especially from the '90s) and I've always wanted to develop my own arcade game.

I started developing Moonbound on September 1st 2016 after Nintendo had made possible for private individuals to develop games for the Nintendo 3DS console during the summer of 2016. The game's American version was finally finished on September 2nd 2021 so the game's development took almost exactly five years. Finishing the game's American version required 3196 work hours. I had several setbacks in my personal life during these years which delayed the game's development by almost 18 months. The worst of these setbacks was when my father passed away on May 21st 2020.

I hope that you can support my work by buying Moonbound in the Nintendo eShop! I'll tell you more about the game later. Please reply to this thread if you have any questions or comments about my game.

Edit 1 - The game's ESRB age rating has been changed to include Mild Fantasy Violence.
Edit 2 - The game's soundtrack has been removed from Dropbox. It will be released soon on the game's YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Juegos

All mods go to heaven.
Very interesting, thanks for posting about it.

Do you think you'll be porting the game to any other platforms?

Tenzen78

Nintendo Developer
Very interesting, thanks for posting about it.

Do you think you'll be porting the game to any other platforms?
You're welcome! I'm trying to promote my game and this subforum (Meet the Game Developers) seemed like the perfect place to do it.

I should give you some background information about me and Moonbound before I answer your question :

I worked in a company that developed educational games for several platforms. I was responsible for programming these games for the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo 3DS consoles for almost three years. I realized after my contract with this company had ended that I finally had all the required skills for developing one of my dream projects to a finished game. I developed Moonbound on a basically zero budget with the help of my brother (the game's primary 2D artist) and a few of my friends. I was able to get the required Nintendo 3DS development hardware by convincing my former employer to transfer its ownership to me. Moonbound is the first video game that I've designed and developed (not including unfinished prototype games). I self-published the game in the Nintendo eShop as a private individual.

To answer your question : No, I don't think that I will ever port Moonbound to other platforms for several reasons :

Moonbound is programmed with procedural C++ using the Nintendo 3DS console's official development libraries. The game is designed to function only with the Nintendo 3DS hardware that has two low resolution screens, unusual sound implementation and lots of technical limitations. Porting the game to other platforms would be very difficult. All of the game's levels would also have to be redesigned and rebalanced because of the unusual 5:3 screen aspect ratio of the console's top screen. I would have to redesign and reprogram most of the game which would require too much work to be worth it. I would also have to convince the development team to continue on the project.

It would simply be much simpler and easier to develop a sequel (or a prequel) to Moonbound to other platforms than to port it.

If you would like to play a Moonbound game on other platforms, please support my work and buy the game in the Nintendo eShop. I need resources to develop a sequel to Moonbound. I would also like to highlight the fact that Moonbound will not be available forever because Nintendo will most likely eventually shut down the Nintendo 3DS eShop!

Tenzen78

Nintendo Developer
It's the holiday season so I would like to spread some cheer in this forum : Would you like to have a FREE copy of Moonbound?

I received download codes for my game from Nintendo of America last week. You can use these codes to download Moonbound for free in the American Nintendo eShop. I have a limited number of codes. I'll start by giving you 10 codes.

If you would like to have Moonbound's download code, reply to this thread and ask for one. I'll send you the code as a private message.

Tenzen78

Nintendo Developer
I can finally publish Moonbound's release poster/wallpaper after it had been approved by Nintendo of America earlier this week :

I was planning to publish this poster on the game's American release date, but unfortunately it was delayed. You can use this poster as a desktop wallpaper on full HD resolution.

Moonbound will be released in Europe (+ Australia, New Zealand and South Africa) on January 27th 2022 in the following 33 countries :

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand

The game's European version has English and French language e-manuals.